IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dimimelbourne

Hey palm pals,

my tiny flame thrower was doing pretty well until recently when it started to pop out a spear tip which looked to be burnt. I thought maybe it was from a pest as I know there are quite a few lurking around my patio. I sprayed the palm and have been staying on to of that but the emerging tip hasn’t grown at all in some weeks. I hope it isn’t dead.

I repotted it after it seemed to have stunted and that’s when it started pushing out this new spear which seemed like a positive sign. Could it be from the cold? It’s middle of winter here and we have had some cold nights… no freezes though but has been close.

3A938454-CF14-4FCD-B6A6-FC25A7DB2E54.jpeg

4E43BAE5-203B-48F3-839E-5B7C819828A3.jpeg

E65856B2-0A5B-478C-BAEF-0662F60AB0A4.jpeg

Well Dimi, the way I see it, is that it is dead. 

You could try a bit to pull out the dead leaf and if it comes out or not, pour in some hydrogen peroxide and wait. 

There is not much more than you can do, I have even tried praying and that doesn't work for me,  and the peroxide doesn't unusually work any better for me either.

I'm thinking, Chambeyronia/Melbourne, zone pushing, middle of winter, it may have needed more protection?    :-(

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Nooooo I was dreading this answer to be honest. I just pulled at the frond and it didn’t come out so I am still hopeful. Can I ask what the hydrogen peroxide is for? Might have a google on that. I might give it one more chance and bring it inside for the rest of winter if it’s not too late. I kept hearing that these palms can take it to almost freezing… oops!

Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) disinfects dead or diseased tissue without damaging healthy tissue. You can find it at pharmacies. Use it full strength around the dying frond. Survivable lows for palms pertain to large specimens. Small seedlings, esp. in pots, are far more delicate. To be safe don't expose yours to temps below 10C, don't water it with cold water or expose it to cold rain.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll disinfect my tip and pray. 
I put it inside as well next to my tropical palms. They have unobstructed western light through a frosted window and a led lamp and all seem to do well with that. I’ll try peroxide and see how it goes, might try it on some other damaged palms as well.