IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Royal palm spacing

Coasta

Hello all! So I planted my royal last year and at the time I thought it would have enough space. Currently the trunk is about 6 ft away from my home and 9 ft away from the neighbors. I also have two Mexican fans growing about 3 ft behind the brick wall.. My question is, will I run into any issues with the fronds dropping and will the mexican fans move away from the royal if the fronds get larger? 

Thank you!

20210614_121759.jpg

20210602_114701.jpg

I don’t want to upset you but the royal will be a problem in the future. Every time it sheds a leaf, it will either fall on your house or your neighbors. I’m guessing they might be drier than ours in Florida but they are large and heavy. I recently removed the 2 we had as they got too big to deal with and haven’t looked back. They are very elegant and stately but they are not suitable for the average homeowners yard. They are also water hogs and look best in high rainfall areas, which I assume is not Mesa, Arizona.

• Like 1

@Johnny Palmseed thank you for the response. That is really concerning as I really don't want to take it out as it has become established but I don't want for it to be an issue later.

Edited by Coasta

There is nothing to worry about in Arizona. When fronds fall here,they are completely dried and weigh less than 5 pounds each. I have a few Cuban royals planted less than a foot away from my house. Fronds fall on the roof half the time and have never caused any damage.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1623707575796263983349723439631.jpg

16237076045094477637650540342527.jpg

16237076907042107891726686038564.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Glad to hear that happens out there.   Around here, they fall with a tremendous crashing from pretty high up.  It sounds like an entire hardwood falling.   

They can cause serious injuries to people sometimes, and damage whatever they happen to land on.  

Here’s a pic from the CVS around the corner.   From a young Royal….  The monsters do worse.  A43EB28D-FDF7-4E1C-8C46-E1BE4631848E.thumb.jpeg.f9a83cce5b71bb21c2ef20fff6df0724.jpeg

Edited by Looking Glass
  • Like 2

The two Washingtonia robustas may become an issue in a few years with the side by side planting. Once they grow beyond the roof line, sky's the limit and and could develop some curves! :D

• Like 1

Arizona royal fronds usually totally dry up before falling off on their own. Here are 2 different trees getting ready to drop an old frond.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20210615_191830515.jpg

IMG_20210615_191748388.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Water, water, water. The more more that you give them, the happier they'll be. It's not possible to overwater a Royal. They will thrive in standing water. 

Not exactly Mesa's natural environment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Valhallalla said:

How does the spacing look on these Royals?

1zC8z3I.jpg

Hard to say, maybe a couple more inches of space for the one in the middle but otherwise it looks good :greenthumb::floor:

• Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

1 hour ago, Valhallalla said:

1zC8z3I.jpg

“Is this too many or too close for palms?”  

Palmtalk reply: “Well, actually you could probably fit a few more up against the foundation of the house.”  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Looks like washingtonia’s in Phoenix have lots of fun getting rid of those. I’m Phoenix even roundup has a hard time killing palm seedlings 

• Like 1

I think 6' is too close for florida, my closest is 9' from one corner of the roof.   So even at 9' the palm would have to drop a leaf right on the corner.  The leaf drop patterns so far after 10 years say no problem.  IF they are somewhat dried out as in our dry spring they weigh only 15-20 lbs, but in our wet summer they can be over 50 lbs possibly 60lbs.  The 6'+ crownshaft is easily 2/3rds of the overall weight so they fall a bit like a dart, close to the trunk, about 9' I would consider minimum distance.  But in arizona everything dries out so damage will be limited.  I'd go with AZTropics assessment, he has been growing palms there for decades.  

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 2 months later...
On 6/16/2021 at 6:20 PM, Valhallalla said:

1zC8z3I.jpg

Ah, the palm lawn. Works well with Veitchias and Ptychospermas, too!

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 2:56 PM, aztropic said:

There is nothing to worry about in Arizona. When fronds fall here,they are completely dried and weigh less than 5 pounds each. I have a few Cuban royals planted less than a foot away from my house. Fronds fall on the roof half the time and have never caused any damage.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1623707575796263983349723439631.jpg

16237076045094477637650540342527.jpg

16237076907042107891726686038564.jpg

Yeah AZtropic is right, any leaf that falls is desiccated in the hottest driest climate in the US.   Nice light leaves are easy to carry!

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank