IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Opinions on home mixed potting soil

D. Morrowii

I’ve been trying out some different potting soils for various palms I’m growing. I dont have much experience so I wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on what I’m using. 

The native soil in my yard is a mixture of coarse sand, sugar sand and coquina shells. I was just mixing 50/50 with store bought MG cactus/palm soil and native. It drains ok but its kind of spongy and probably holds a little too much water. My new mix is:

6 scoops of native

2 scoops of perlite

2 of peat moss

2 of the MG palm stuff

and 2 of some bagged up composty, humis, bat guano stuff. 

Should I add or subtract anything? Change ratios? 

Thanks!

96848B72-1202-4835-A8D1-A46E49DF1370.jpeg

093CBDC6-3D77-45B2-8CEA-6C3CC12B9E34.jpeg

I don't know if this will help.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

@D. Morrowii I'd definitely read the thread from Steve above.  I usually just go with starting seedlings in typical garden center mixes with a bit of perlite added.  This has worked when I only had to leave the seedling in the pot for a few months to a year before it heads out into the yard to start its new life.  The squirrels, rabbits and possums have been particularly aggressive this year, so I've had to give more thought to keeping things in pots longer than I typically do.  This thread and the advice of another grower in Orlando to use bonsai mix on a few of my more xeric species saved three of my Hyphaene.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

7 hours ago, Steve Mac said:

I don't know if this will help.

Thanks @Steve Mac lots of info in there. It seems like the difficulty is finding the right  balance between aeration, moisture and nutrient holding ability. Not to mention its easier and less expensive if what you use can be sourced locally. I’d really like to split my sand ratio with pumice since it seems to do a little of everything but I can only find small bags of succulent or bonzai mix and they are pricey considering the small quantity. From the post its seems like coir might be something else to try.