IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

You know you are a palm nut when

redant

This is what you buy for yourself for your birthday. My wife shaking her head in disbelief that I'd buy more palms.:lol:

IMG_8191.jpg

IMG_8192.jpg

• Like 21
  • Upvote 3

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

10 minutes ago, Valhallalla said:

"They look like the same palms as what you already have."

Some are repeats, some of the ones I had croaked, others I really liked, some are new to me. This was my last years order

Screenshot (5).png

Edited by redant
  • Like 1

Jupiter FL

I have no idea what is in your collection. I was just presenting a non-palm nut's likely view of things. Nice haul.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

"You know you are a palm nut when..."

- ... you have palm seeds germinating in your car's cup holder.

- ... there are coconuts rolling around in the bed of your truck and you don't remember where you got them.

- ... you take a palm book with you on a long flight.

- ... you have a bucket of common palm seed in the back of your car, along with all the groceries.

- ... you bring a wagon, wheel barrow, cart with you to a palm sale, along with a cooler loaded with a day's worth of drinks.

- ... you take 75 photos of the same palm.

- ... your pocket list of the species you have is replaced by a list of the species you want.

- ... your pocket list of the species you want is replaced by nothing, because you have it memorized.

- ... you've knocked on a stranger's door asking to collect seed from their yard.

- ... you have given a palm as a birthday gift.

- ... you have received a palm as a birthday gift.

- ... you stop to identify a palm while riding your bike.

- ... you bought a palm because it looked cool, only to find you have four more like it at home.

- ... you have created your own style of hieroglyphic writing to identify the origins of all your palm seed via their tags.

- ... you have a 1-gallon palm sitting within the rim of a 7-gallon palm which is sitting within the rim of a 25-gallon palm.

- ... you need to use a flashlight to give a tour of your yard, at two o'clock in the afternoon.

- ... the utility meter reader is scared to death of entering your property.

- ... you've had to pull a dead animal from the spines of your heavily armed palm.

- ... you've had to pull yourself from the spines of your heavily armed palm.

- ... you have forgotten where you have planted a certain specimen.

- ... you find a palm in your yard you do not remember planting.

- ... you clean out the marginal area between your yard and your neighbor's only to find seedlings of ten different species.

- ... after the garden tour, you need to draw a map to get the attendees to the exit.

- ... the space between your potted palms has shrunk to zero.

- ... the seedlings popping up in the yard, belong to a mature tree above, which was once a seedling itself, belonging to an even taller palm higher up.

- ... you dream of palms, awake and while sleeping.

- ... you can see the crown of your climbing palm and have no idea where it is planted.

- ... you have generations of hybrid palms creating themselves in your yard.

- ... you can't find the tags you used to label your palms, because they were replaced by another system of tags which you cannot find either.

- ... your cold sensitive palms are better protected than your pets.

- ... you have created a custom moving system to transport your oversized Red Sealing Wax Palm indoors and away from the cold.

- ... you have no hot water because it's been diverted outside to heat your yard.

- ... you have Christmas lights around your palms, weeks after December.

- ... you talk to your palms and hope they don't talk back.

I could keep going, but I gotta eat.

Ryan

• Like 25
  • Upvote 6

South Florida

5 hours ago, redant said:

Some are repeats, some of the ones I had croaked, others I really liked, some are new to me. This was my last years order

Screenshot (5).png

yes, yes, yes

You are certifiable when an anonymous neighbor stops and says, "I just love all your beautiful palms." Then adds, "Better you than me."

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I drove 800 miles by myself in a truck with no AC and a manual transmission in one day to obtain a better form of a palm species I already had in my garden.   :mrlooney:

• Like 13
  • Upvote 4

San Francisco, California

9 hours ago, redant said:

This is what you buy for yourself for your birthday. My wife shaking her head in disbelief that I'd buy more palms.:lol:

IMG_8191.jpg

IMG_8192.jpg

Wow, my BD order was only for 11, but all 1 gal.  Should come in a week or two.  If I was younger I'd get a bunch of 4" pots.  But just turning 78 I wanna see my babies trunk.   LOL

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

10 hours ago, redant said:

IMG_8191.jpg

IMG_8192.jpg

They are the gift that keeps on giving :P

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Palmarum said:

"You know you are a palm nut when..."

- ... you have palm seeds germinating in your car's cup holder.

- ... there are coconuts rolling around in the bed of your truck and you don't remember where you got them.

- ... you take a palm book with you on a long flight.

- ... you have a bucket of common palm seed in the back of your car, along with all the groceries.

- ... you bring a wagon, wheel barrow, cart with you to a palm sale, along with a cooler loaded with a day's worth of drinks.

- ... you take 75 photos of the same palm.

- ... your pocket list of the species you have is replaced by a list of the species you want.

- ... your pocket list of the species you want is replaced by nothing, because you have it memorized.

- ... you've knocked on a stranger's door asking to collect seed from their yard.

- ... you have given a palm as a birthday gift.

- ... you have received a palm as a birthday gift.

- ... you stop to identify a palm while riding your bike.

- ... you bought a palm because it looked cool, only to find you have four more like it at home.

- ... you have created your own style of hieroglyphic writing to identify the origins of all your palm seed via their tags.

- ... you have a 1-gallon palm sitting within the rim of a 7-gallon palm which is sitting within the rim of a 25-gallon palm.

- ... you need to use a flashlight to give a tour of your yard, at two o'clock in the afternoon.

- ... the utility meter reader is scared to death of entering your property.

- ... you've had to pull a dead animal from the spines of your heavily armed palm.

- ... you've had to pull yourself from the spines of your heavily armed palm.

- ... you have forgotten where you have planted a certain specimen.

- ... you find a palm in your yard you do not remember planting.

- ... you clean out the marginal area between your yard and your neighbor's only to find seedlings of ten different species.

- ... after the garden tour, you need to draw a map to get the attendees to the exit.

- ... the space between your potted palms has shrunk to zero.

- ... the seedlings popping up in the yard, belong to a mature tree above, which was once a seedling itself, belonging to an even taller palm higher up.

- ... you dream of palms, awake and while sleeping.

- ... you can see the crown of your climbing palm and have no idea where it is planted.

- ... you have generations of hybrid palms creating themselves in your yard.

- ... you can't find the tags you used to label your palms, because they were replaced by another system of tags which you cannot find either.

- ... your cold sensitive palms are better protected than your pets.

- ... you have created a custom moving system to transport your oversized Red Sealing Wax Palm indoors and away from the cold.

- ... you have no hot water because it's been diverted outside to heat your yard.

- ... you have Christmas lights around your palms, weeks after December.

- ... you talk to your palms and hope they don't talk back.

I could keep going, but I gotta eat.

Ryan

All so true.

• Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

2 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

I drove 800 miles by myself in a truck with no AC and a manual transmission in one day to obtain a better form of a palm species I already had in my garden.   :mrlooney:

Was uphill both ways.:lol:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

- You see "Last One Available" on a listing and realize you have no place to put it but buy it anyway

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Darold, you are my idol

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks Meg,  I can be somewhat compulsive.  The palm was Howea belmoreana.  This species has a more variable frond than does H. forsteriana.  I had an in-ground plant when a friend came over.  He was working as an informal palm broker for SoCal palms up to the Bay Area.  He remarked that Rancho Soledad nursery had a much better frond form, in 24 Inch boxes.

Well, I left at 5:00 AM a few days later.  The truck was a 1978 Toyota mini-truck, 90 HP,  I really had to row the gearbox.  I drove 490 miles to Rancho Santa Fe in north San Diego county.  I bought the best one of six available, wrapped it up like a mummy, went to the fast food drive through, and hit the freeway northbound.  I made it about 2/3 rds of the distance home by dark, and stopped at a freeway motel.    Too tired to eat dinner !  :winkie: 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

.... when you can remember the palms that were in a movie but forget what the movie was about.

• Like 6

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Thank you all for reminding me that I’m not alone in this! I’ll add:

-When you have a list of coloquial names for palms that your spouse will actually remember because they never have any idea what you’re droning on about: “The fuzzy one. The blue fan one. The round leafed one. The one I have to bring inside constantly.”
-When you don’t even have to justify the fact you brought another one home to your spouse because they couldn’t possibly even notice a single new addition given how many there already are. 
-When delivery drivers stop and look at your palms as they drop off your parcels. 
-There are stretches of days in December + January when your home looks like a plant nursery moved into your living room.

Edited by chad2468emr
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

8 hours ago, Steve Mac said:

.... when you can remember the palms that were in a movie but forget what the movie was about.

Along the same lines, when you notice the palms in a movie/TV show are quite obviously not correct for the geographic location the scene is supposed to be set in and it really bothers you. For example, the scene is supposed to be deep in a jungle somewhere in southeast Asia yet the only palms around are Majesties, Queens and Dypsis lutescens.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Valhallalla said:

Along the same lines, when you notice the palms in a movie/TV show are quite obviously not correct for the geographic location the scene is supposed to be set in and it really bothers you. For example, the scene is supposed to be deep in a jungle somewhere in southeast Asia yet the only palms around are Majesties, Queens and Dypsis lutescens.

I saw Tarzan movies with Washingtonia robusta in the background.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Another good one - ... You've climbed a 30 foot trunking specimen with a pair of pruners in your pocket to collect seeds.

• Like 3

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

2 hours ago, Valhallalla said:

This. I recall a similar thread about it a while back. My friends and family are miserable any time I’m watching a movie with them that takes place in a “jungle.” Or Miami, but magically there are washingtonia everywhere and nary a royal or coconut to be seen. 

• Like 2

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

One of my favorites: When you've kept a hard hat and a yellow or orange vest in your truck so you could pose as a construction worker while securing recently dug up palms to a flat bed truck.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

- your friends and coworkers all fall into 2 categories -

They either think you're weird and don't get it, or they encourage your habit because they know you'll eventually have to give away palms to make room for new ones 

• Like 3

You move your palms around the house to the sunniest window you can find.

You chase a deer down the street in your underwear(with a broom) because it was munching on a palm.

You pass on a message that you can't attend a birthday because you have to get your covers ready(in October.).

You don't go visit family in winter  because you have to stay home and make sure the heat works for your palms.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

When your wife actually tells you to plant some more..

When your parents, siblings and friends start asking for palm recommendations which only happens after you have told them they need more palms in their yard. And everytime you see or talk to them you bring up the subject of palm trees and the fact that you only have 15 planted but plan to put atleast 15 more. 

A few still in pots but you don't know where to put them because you keep finding out about new stuff on PalmTalk.  Etc.

Or drive from Orlando to Naples to acquire a Foxy Lady the day after getting laid off in 2020. Getting there and realizing that its probably too tall to fit in your car even though you have crammed a few other 7 galls in before. The guy wasn't going to sell it because it was a little beat up.  I drove all this way, I am going to make it fit. Seats adjusted stuffed in the trunk, fronds wrapped and tucked under the dashboard. 

Something about Foxy Ladys and Palms is what got me hooked. Like someone else said almost crashing your car.  Like Whoa did you see those Coconuts!

Edited by banthony720
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

One of my favorites: When you've kept a hard hat and a yellow or orange vest in your truck so you could pose as a construction worker while securing recently dug up palms to a flat bed truck.

A man with a hard hat and safety yellow vest will get the cops to clear the way for you! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

In your best Jeff Foxworthy voice:

”Yew’ may be a palm nut eeeyuff:

Yew’ have a garden like this and yew’ keep on buying more palms.”

4FE0044D-C298-4D66-A4A1-B782C3103473.thumb.jpeg.05f502fce473ed87a71a706e51651314.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Nothing like American Chopper memes to parody our passion:

image.png.fa1666d9cbbd638a17546441430f9fc7.png

• Like 11
  • Upvote 3

Lakeland, FL

2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Nothing like American Chopper memes to parody our passion:

image.png.fa1666d9cbbd638a17546441430f9fc7.png

Sounds like my own inner dialogue. …..

• Like 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

When you live in a tiny apartment with a tiny overcrowded patio so you're splitting up clumps of palms and mixing soil in your living room in front of the TV. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Those prices are amazing!!!!!

Your are not alone! I always want more palm trees for gifts!

EJ

Chad im guilty of this!

My Boyfriend doesnt even see new palm trees i ad to my landscape. 

Then months later he askes me, "was that always there"?

in which i reply "Yes dear that b.kentia Halapa was always there"! ;)

EJ

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You have 30 seedlings, 3 one gallon, 2 five gallon, and 4 planted of all the same palm...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Half of your sock collection from Stance has palms on them. 

I have a ridiculous amount of their socks, too. 

• Like 2