IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

You know you are a palm nut when

redant

Your neighbors are selling their house and, during their showing, the potential (and eventual) buyer spends most of their time on the door step looking at your yard.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 3

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

You're applying for jobs and you ask if their relocation package will cover a Sprinter van for your potted palms. 

You're looking at housing for potential relocation areas and you call the apartment complex to ask what direction the patio and windows face. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 9/15/2021 at 3:12 PM, Kim said:

It irritates you to see morphologically incorrect artwork representing palms.

Yes!!  Guilty here.  Love it:) I go to this beachy art store in Fl and this one artist paints these tropical beach scenes. The coconut palms have “branches “ like a Christmas tree and it always irritates me.

• Like 4

On 6/8/2021 at 9:43 PM, oasis371 said:

When you live in NJ/Zone 7a/b but have half the collection of Fairchild's.

So funny! I’m 6b and I can relate :)

• Like 1

You can tell a TV show or movie is deceiving you as it's say supposed to be in California but there are coconut palms in the back ground (just one example).

• Like 6

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Here are some signs that you are a palm nerd...

-You have found this website and are looking at my post right now 

-Your in the car and point out palm species by there full name or scientific name and your friends or family look at your weird

- You insist that palm "trees" are actually a kind of grass

-You scold people who calls a Mexican fan palm a "coconut tree"

- You see that a freeze is coming and the very fist thing on you mind is if the palms in the neighborhood will be ok 

-You come back from the coast and some one asks you what was the highlights of your trip was and the fist or second thing you say is "palm trees"

• Like 8

You actually pay attention to the latest Dupixent commercial to try and identify the palm visible in just the last 2 seconds of the 60 second ad.  I think it's a Ravenea rivularis...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

On 6/6/2021 at 8:39 AM, kinzyjr said:

Nothing like American Chopper memes to parody our passion:

image.png.fa1666d9cbbd638a17546441430f9fc7.png

As a bit of a side note, how much would they have to pay you-all to make you want to broadcast your family’s fights on TV for all to see?

Glad no one got killed . . . .

• Like 7

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 weeks later...

You tell yourself after every new purchase that that's the last one you're buying....ever.

Your wife asks "when and where did you get that?".  Your reply, "It's been there a week and I got it in the mail".  Her reply "Oh, so that's the big empty box hiding under the pool table". :floor:

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Scott W said:

You tell yourself after every new purchase that that's the last one you're buying....ever.

Your wife asks "when and where did you get that?".  Your reply, "It's been there a week and I got it in the mail".  Her reply "Oh, so that's the big empty box hiding under the pool table". :floor:

#Busted!!!! 

If you have any woods around you, sometimes you can get away with, "The birds must have ate some fruit somewhere and 'planted' it in the yard..." 

The other one that works is if you can talk your neighbors into getting one of what you want first and then waiting until it flowers to put your own in.  "I can't believe those are already naturalizing!  Guess we'll have to landscape it and make it part of the yard."

• Like 8

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

• 4 months later...
On 6/4/2021 at 6:35 PM, Darold Petty said:

I drove 800 miles by myself in a truck with no AC and a manual transmission in one day to obtain a better form of a palm species I already had in my garden.   :mrlooney:

This is next level and I LOVE it. 

• Like 3

Old thread so sorry if this is a repeat

When your neighbors say "I'm downstairs 3 doors over from the dude with all the palm trees" on Doordash 

My patio is a landmark 

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

After a freeze you promise yourself  "never again"  but two weeks later you are out there planting palms you know are marginal at best.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

..when you discard (and uproot) 5 out of 6 fully grown Washingtonia (filibusta) hybrid palms and plant Cocos nucifera seedlings in their stead @ 32.51° N . Yeah, and chop off the head of the 6th and largest washi and keep it as a tiki. :D

• Like 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

You want to buy a land parcel and every time you go to view one you take an adz with you and the estate agent looks at you as if you were nuts when you bend and start digging to check the soil.

• Like 4

previously known as ego

On 9/16/2021 at 7:29 AM, Neil C said:

You take your kids with you to the Botanical gardens so if you get stopped with seeds you can say it was them that collected them!

Such a great idea! :D

• Like 1

previously known as ego

9 hours ago, ego said:

You want to buy a land parcel and every time you go to view one you take an adz with you and the estate agent looks at you as if you were nuts when you bend and start digging to check the soil.

THAT'S the way to shop!

Grow your soil and grow your garden.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 2/12/2022 at 8:52 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

Old thread so sorry if this is a repeat

When your neighbors say "I'm downstairs 3 doors over from the dude with all the palm trees" on Doordash 

My patio is a landmark 

How about a picture?

When people fall slightly in your estimation for asking whether a cycad/fern/etc. is a palm. No, that banana is not a palm. IT'S OBVIOUS WHICH ONES ARE PALMS! ARE YOU BLIND?!

When your shed is filled with bags of about six different types of compost, peat, perlite, pumice, leca, seramis, dolomite, horticultural sand, several different grades of pine bark chips, coconut coir chips, vermiculite, sphagnum moss, grit and various other things you have acquired over the years to try to create a medium with perfect drainage, pH and nutrient bioavailability properties.

When a seedling is growing a spear which you think might be its first pinnate leaf, that's the first thing you go and look at when you get up in the morning.

• Like 7

You drunk text people to talk about your palms 

You tell your employees and coworkers you're going to give them certain palms and can't emotionally part with them, so you're holding out for the local supermarket to have $10 palms 

You give your palms people names 

• Like 5

You've told a real estate agent that if the property isn't in USDA Zone 10 or higher, you're not interested.

• Like 6

Lakeland, FL

1 minute ago, teddytn said:

When you get a palm tree “Christmas tree”” and still haven’t taken it down…B6A93B53-C68B-4343-A7C1-6E435B3EB6D4.thumb.jpeg.bbc0fa06154d8bc00c2225fa2c24e913.jpeg

I put xmas lights on my washy in 2020. Absolutely shredded my hands. This is a better idea. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I put xmas lights on my washy in 2020. Absolutely shredded my hands. This is a better idea. 

Hahaha that’s that palm love brother! “John why are your hands all tore up?” You wouldn’t understand smh lol 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When you start watching shows just to spot the palms where they should not be growing...

ex; Parks and recreation show is supposed to be in Indiana and theres a palm in front of the gov building 

at the beginning of the show.

Also;  The Office set in Scranton Pa...if you watch when they are driving around you can occasionally

see palms although they try to blur them out.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jimhardy said:

When you start watching shows just to spot the palms where they should not be growing...

Yes!  Good observations.

I pay attention when watching period pieces, especially 1800s to Gilded age with opulent European style interior settings.  If they are showing anything but Howea palms, the production loses historical credibility with me.  Apparently, among potted plants, these were the faves of queen Victoria, and if anyone wanted to appear sophisticated and rich, Howeas (kentia palms) are what they displayed indoors.  If I see a cheap, box store throw- away palm in these settings or even in a house museum for the period it’s a real faux pas.

You wouldn’t use 1970’s style harvest gold bathroom tiles in an authentic gilded age setting when the period would have used Italian breccia marble, or something. I like majesty palms potted in some outdoor settings but they look cheap compared to Howea palms in more sophisticated interior settings. 

sorry for the rant— I’m being a palm nut now.  :)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, teddytn said:

Hahaha that’s that palm love brother! “John why are your hands all tore up?” You wouldn’t understand smh lol 

I bought some gardening gloves the next day. Did not put lights on it last year lol. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CodyORB said:

Wild guess but is that a Jubaeopsis in the front?

looks like Wodyetia

Lucas

hall-min.png

Ok, it doesn't always look like that... Had a freeze warning in my area and I didn't want to take any chances with these ones, since they hadn't gone through an outdoor winter yet. Ended up being 34.7 degrees (and no frost that I could see) so not as bad as feared... but wasn't taking any chances.

There are two other areas of the house that look like this, and I did some outdoor protection as well (though nothing like the valiant sub-10 zone people do).

Kinda wish my house interior looked like this all the time :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

6 hours ago, iDesign said:

There are two other areas of the house that look like this

Looks like a welcoming tropical atrium! Beautiful grouping of plants.  Is that a type of Ti plant (With red in the center of photo)? I never knew they grew so symmetrical in a flat plane, almost like a mini travelers  ‘palm’ (Ravenala madagascariensis) but with attractive blush colors.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, iDesign said:

hall-min.png

Kinda wish my house interior looked like this all the time :rolleyes:

My apartment has looked like this (minus the great lighting and Chihuahua hair-free floors) a few times this winter. 

You might be a palm nut when conversations about the weather always lead to you complaining about having to bring the plants back inside every 2 weeks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, piping plovers said:

Looks like a welcoming tropical atrium! Beautiful grouping of plants.  Is that a type of Ti plant (With red in the center of photo)? I never knew they grew so symmetrical in a flat plane, almost like a mini travelers  ‘palm’ (Ravenala madagascariensis) but with attractive blush colors.

That's my absolute favorite Ti... it might not be as hardy as the rest, but worth it (I just keep it in a pot and bring it inside when the crotons come in). 

It goes by several names, so if looking for one you might need to search for all three of these...
- Cordyline "New Guinea Fan"
- Cordyline "Showgirl"
- Cordyline "Singapore Twist"
Pretty sure those are all the same plant... just different names. And yes they look very similar to a travelers palm (only smaller & more colorful).  :wub2:

• Like 3

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

8 hours ago, iDesign said:

It goes by several names, so if looking for one you might need to search for all three of these...
- Cordyline "New Guinea Fan"
- Cordyline "Showgirl"
- Cordyline "Singapore Twist"

Thanks for the info. I’ll look for one!

• Like 1

When you live in New England and you put these out in the yard trash for municipal pickup ( which is normally maple leaves in my neighborhood). :)

EA6B879D-342A-4887-A72A-A98A228D15D2.thumb.jpeg.2af85b08d07e253d2804da782d9b201c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

...when you take the family photo:

IMG_20220225_161822_1.jpg

IMG_20220225_161755_1.jpg

• Like 6

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I was watching the Walking Dead recently and thought of this post because I couldn't help but notice that one of the settlements in Virginia called Oceanside had palm trees planted for the set, but it didn't make any sense to me because the ones they planted would never survive in Virginia in the ground, let alone in a zombie apocalypse. They had Adonidia merrillii, Phoenix roebellini, and I think foxtails too. It feels like only a palm nut would even care to notice that, but who knows, maybe their palm growers in the end times. :D

I thought it was a silly oversight they probably didn't think anyone would notice, could you imagine if in a zombie apocalypse somebody zone pushed and used the groups resources and water and overwinter to keep the palm trees alive :floor:

• Like 5