IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

S. Birmingham, Louisiana & Brazoria... let's see'em!

Sabal King

I've got a bunch of both, albeit young ones planted (3-5 year) and know a lot of folks here have these.  Let's see them!

• Like 2

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

2 hours ago, Ben OK said:

My Birminghams are recovering from the -14 F that hit a gew months ago:

20210531_123754~2.jpg

20210531_123858~2.jpg

Wow that Birmingham gives me hope for a nice 6b longhauler. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, teddytn said:

@tlow baby Louisiana’s BD9B10B9-2791-47F0-AAA4-84D5B77224E0.thumb.jpeg.0f3fb83bfd2af2e85f2f31403c1e93ee.jpegA3CD2F86-1FFF-4D46-BA8F-DED8A21863E6.thumb.jpeg.c2b156496763b6bde9e8ec56cf9c11ab.jpegBirminghams F753DC73-994E-4C64-9E96-76E7E35D4454.thumb.jpeg.be4ceffb7f309423161ee342000321a8.jpeg6BEB454F-FEEA-4CBE-B08F-4EC55FD56FF9.thumb.jpeg.58be33bebd6fec4efafc25fb3400c28b.jpeg

Looking good!!  Most of mine are about the size of your first one, so I'll have pictures to share after one season of growth.  They're cranking out new spears as we speak and are putting out their first or second split leaf.

11 hours ago, Ben OK said:

My Birminghams are recovering from the -14 F that hit a gew months ago:

20210531_123754~2.jpg

20210531_123858~2.jpg

Can't wait until mine is that far along in growth.  How old is this one?

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

If I remember correctly, I got the bigger of my two birminghams as a seedling in 2011. So it isn't quick. It didn't go in the ground until about 2 years ago though. 

I sprouted the smaller of the two in 2012 or 2013. It came from the last seed batch from the notorious Tulsa birmingham that was around 20 years old and had around 7 ft of trunk before it died. The seed was collected a year or two before it was given to me and, unfortunately, I only got one seed from the bunch to sprout.

• Like 1

To the folks with Louisianas and Birminghams.. Do Louisianas have that growing heel above the ground?  Reason I ask is I just so happened to have received my 9x mystery palm shipment, or either Birmingham or Louisiana.  Some have the heel (look more like the Birminghams I have) and some do NOT have the heel and have the blue tint that my Louisianas have.  The seller said it's one or the other, so trying to figure this part out.

My Louisiana's have a heel.  They were grown in a pot for many years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jtee said:

Mine Louisiana’s have the heel above ground 

2 minutes ago, Chester B said:

My Louisiana's have a heel.  They were grown in a pot for many years.

Curious but is the heel something that comes with age?  If so, what age?

My Louisiana’s no but Birmingham’s did when I planted them. Pretty sure the heel coming above soil level is due to obstruction of the roots downward growth. All the sabal minor variants have a saxophone shape underground, but it gets forced above when the roots grow against the bottom of a pot for example, or really shallow soil depth, or hits a rock.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, teddytn said:

My Louisiana’s no but Birmingham’s did when I planted them. Pretty sure the heel coming above soil level is due to obstruction of the roots downward growth. All the sabal minor variants have a saxophone shape underground, but it gets forced above when the roots grow against the bottom of a pot for example, or really shallow soil depth, or hits a rock.

That makes sense.. I've noticed ALL of my Birminghams have the heel, but the Louisianas do not.. they look very different in general.  Can't wait to get more in the ground and have some good pictures to share.  So far over half that are in the ground have nice new spears already.

2 hours ago, Chad king NC said:

Yuccado Louisiana and birmingham.  Brazoria from Steve Anderson.

20210502_144943.jpg

20210603_070437.jpg

20210603_172530.jpg

Yuccado! Haven’t heard that name in a while. Man you’ve got it going on at your place. I think I like the look of a mature trunking Brazoria better than any other sabal.

• Like 1

@teddytn thanks.  I know it seems like forever since Yuccado closed. 

I can't wait till my Brazorias start to form trunks.

10 hours ago, Chester B said:

And one big Brazoria 

87CE1226-9948-4098-BBE4-2620B6591F0E.jpeg

Anyway to get a peek at the trunk of the Brazoria please?!?!

• Like 1

They are small but here they are, 

Sabal louisiana

0605211041g_HDR.jpg

Sabal birmingham

0605211042h_HDR.jpg

Also have Rhapidophyllum hystrix, Sabal minor, Sabal palmetto and Trachycarpus fortunei.

0605211042g_HDR.jpg

0605211041l_HDR.jpg

0605211042e_HDR.jpg

0605211041i_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

18 hours ago, teddytn said:

Anyway to get a peek at the trunk of the Brazoria please?!?!

Not much to look at. 

CE4F4D2F-DE51-419A-A302-AF49D54EC2A5.jpeg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Not much to look at. 

No way that’s awesome! I love seeing brazorias period. Most people are planting strap leave sizes anyway. Thank you! 

Here’s mine...Sabal Brazoria...in ground since, I think, 2017...finally taking off...and has about a 6” trunk.

image.thumb.jpg.d2686b12608df36a67d277f154bcba54.jpgHere’s the slowest growing palm ever...stalactites grow faster...my Sabal McCurtain...but I think it’s about to get its first adult frond...or not...I’ve been thinking that for years...the creepy jenny will overpower it in a few years...

image.thumb.jpg.dbd13577d808d5eb918498b7a39849ef.jpgAnd finally, the first seed germinated Sabal minor...waiting for it to take off...a watched palm never grows or something like that...

image.thumb.jpg.71fb1b509bd972da50d4a19691b82e1d.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/3/2021 at 8:02 PM, Chad king NC said:

Yuccado Louisiana and birmingham.  Brazoria from Steve Anderson.

20210502_144943.jpg

20210603_070437.jpg

20210603_172530.jpg

Hey Chad...how old is that Brazoria?

• Like 1

I have a sabal that I have no idea what it is. It grows faster than our native sabal,s & is much fatter. The story is, I was doing a cable repair job where the woman had cut her line while gardening. She felt bad & said here thake this palm that she had picked up somewhere in TX on a trip. Any ideas?

20210606_115059.jpg

• Like 6

16 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Here’s mine...Sabal Brazoria...in ground since, I think, 2017...finally taking off...and has about a 6” trunk.

image.thumb.jpg.d2686b12608df36a67d277f154bcba54.jpgHere’s the slowest growing palm ever...stalactites grow faster...my Sabal McCurtain...but I think it’s about to get its first adult frond...or not...I’ve been thinking that for years...the creepy jenny will overpower it in a few years...

image.thumb.jpg.dbd13577d808d5eb918498b7a39849ef.jpgAnd finally, the first seed germinated Sabal minor...waiting for it to take off...a watched palm never grows or something like that...

image.thumb.jpg.71fb1b509bd972da50d4a19691b82e1d.jpg

I know the feeling on the mccurtain. One of my favorite palms now though, super pretty.FE3B96C5-A4CA-4574-9EFC-05EC807481C3.thumb.jpeg.5837cd1809f877c2a5a041337c2448eb.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, teddytn said:

I know the feeling on the mccurtain. One of my favorite palms now though, super pretty.FE3B96C5-A4CA-4574-9EFC-05EC807481C3.thumb.jpeg.5837cd1809f877c2a5a041337c2448eb.jpeg

Looks great! Like most Sabals, I think they have to set that massive tap root which, I guess, really serves as a subterranean trunk...but the cold hardiness they deliver is well worth it...if we live long enough to enjoy them...trouble is, Trachycarpus is adding on, at least 12” of new trunk each season so the comparison is stark...but then again, each species should be weighed against similar types and long after the Trachy is gone, the sabals will be pushing new heights, and me, daisies.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Looks great! Like most Sabals, I think they have to set that massive tap root which, I guess, really serves as a subterranean trunk...but the cold hardiness they deliver is well worth it...if we live long enough to enjoy them...trouble is, Trachycarpus is adding on, at least 12” of new trunk each season so the comparison is stark...but then again, each species should be weighed against similar types and long after the Trachy is gone, the sabals will be pushing new heights, and me, daisies.

They say, enjoy the journey as well as the destination. 

Fantastic seeing all of these much older and mature versions of what I have dotted throughout my property... We finally got our taste of the high 80's and 90's this week so these are going to start really moving here soon enough.  Love the look of these, and you can't beat the hardiness... 

What's the general consensus on trunking.. 10 years?

1 hour ago, tlow said:

Fantastic seeing all of these much older and mature versions of what I have dotted throughout my property... We finally got our taste of the high 80's and 90's this week so these are going to start really moving here soon enough.  Love the look of these, and you can't beat the hardiness... 

What's the general consensus on trunking.. 10 years?

I would say 10 years from the point it’s planted in the ground, 3 gal plant or smaller. 5 gal a little sooner, 15 gal a few years. Faster or slower depending on what state they’re planted in. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, teddytn said:

I would say 10 years from the point it’s planted in the ground, 3 gal plant or smaller. 5 gal a little sooner, 15 gal a few years. Faster or slower depending on what state they’re planted in. 

Fantastic.  I've got some that are putting out some nice split leaves already.  Can't wait to see these grow.

Sabal Louisiana (left, behind) and Sabal minor (right, foreground) - both 20 years plus in the ground, both in deep shade until the trees were cut back 2 years ago.  Still in moderate shade.  I bought this from the old "Louisiana Nursery" that was famous for their magnolias "the garden aristocrat" and sold a paper catalog.  The leaves on the S louisiana are twice as big as on the S minor.

IMG_3724.jpeg

IMG_3717.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LeonardHolmes said:

Sabal Louisiana (left, behind) and Sabal minor (right, foreground) - both 20 years plus in the ground, both in deep shade until the trees were cut back 2 years ago.  Still in moderate shade.  I bought this from the old "Louisiana Nursery" that was famous for their magnolias "the garden aristocrat" and sold a paper catalog.  The leaves on the S louisiana are twice as big as on the S minor.

IMG_3724.jpeg

IMG_3717.jpeg

Wow.... that's been in the ground a WHILE, but really nice to see a trunk.  Congrats!

On 6/6/2021 at 11:56 AM, Laaz said:

I have a sabal that I have no idea what it is. It grows faster than our native sabal,s & is much fatter. The story is, I was doing a cable repair job where the woman had cut her line while gardening. She felt bad & said here thake this palm that she had picked up somewhere in TX on a trip. Any ideas?

20210606_115059.jpg

Maybe sabal mexicana?

On 6/5/2021 at 6:47 PM, Chester B said:

Not much to look at. 

What a beast!  That new beach plum la croix flavor is really good,  definitely one of my favorites

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

What a beast!  That new beach plum la croix flavor is really good,  definitely one of my favorites

I didn't have a PBR handy, but that beach plum is definitely my new favorite water.  It was a suitable stand in.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

The man who plants a tree, 

knowing he will never enjoy its shade

but plants it anyways, 

knows the meaning of life....

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve looked at pictures of Gary Hollars Birmingham’s a bunch of times. Seems like everyone else have a Birmingham in the juvenile stage at best. Anyone know of any mature trunking specimens other than Gary’s?

10 hours ago, teddytn said:

I’ve looked at pictures of Gary Hollars Birmingham’s a bunch of times. Seems like everyone else have a Birmingham in the juvenile stage at best. Anyone know of any mature trunking specimens other than Gary’s?

We will have to compare notes in the following years.. I am hoping to get some good pictures from the many many of these that I have on our property as they are ALL purchasing beautiful spears.  Early observations are Birmingham is slower... Louisiana is a rocket, as is my brazoriensis.

• Like 1