IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where is the best area to plant a Needle Palm in the Upper/ Mid South?

maskedmole

In my location, In east Tennessee, where would be the best spot to plant a needle palm? In zone 6b/7a. It rarely drops below zero in a winter within the last 10 or so years.

We have moderately hot summers. Cold but not frigid winters. Precipitation is 56 inches per year. 13 inches of snow. 

I know it needs some amount of sun but my yard is limited to mostly shade but there are some small spots with more sun but they are a bit exposed out in the open. I don't know if it would get enough heat in the shady spots but I also don't want it to be out in the open. 

Edited by maskedmole

Lowest lows per year 2007-2019: 7F,  5F0F7F3.9F14F14F, -8.9F, 0.1F, 7.2F, 1.2F, -0.8F, 10.2F..... Averaged: 4.6F

Plant in as sunny spot as possible in a spot the gets the 'hottest'  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

9 hours ago, Allen said:

Plant in as sunny spot as possible in a spot the gets the 'hottest'  

Thank you I will try that. 

Lowest lows per year 2007-2019: 7F,  5F0F7F3.9F14F14F, -8.9F, 0.1F, 7.2F, 1.2F, -0.8F, 10.2F..... Averaged: 4.6F

I have found them quite vulnerable when young/establishing moreso than S. Minors, so I'd still protect them from wind and extreme cold. 
:)

• Like 1

I just moved to east Tennessee 6 months ago, I have a needle palm and should do very well here. I also have Sabal minor, Sabal palmetto "Birmingham", Sabal palmetto, Sabal louisiana and Trachycarpus fortunei.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

17 hours ago, maskedmole said:

13 inches of snow.

Welcome to Palmtalk!  You must be around Elizabethton with that amount of annual snow.  Knoxville, where I'm from, only gets around 5" annually.

Jon Sunder

10 hours ago, Fusca said:

Welcome to Palmtalk!  You must be around Elizabethton with that amount of annual snow.  Knoxville, where I'm from, only gets around 5" annually.

Thanks I'm glad I found this palm lover forum. I'm actually on the Cumberland Plateau. Crossville. Our 1800' elevation really cools us down. We are about the same latitude as Knoxville and Nashville, but colder because the elevation and we aren't a heat island. I have found us to be probably the coldest spot in our area of TN. 

I have noticed about every area to the east, west, south and even places north of us to be 5 to 10 degrees warmer. There doesn't really seem to be a super accurate consensus on our snowfall. Some sources quote 10 inches. Others say 13 inches. But it's around that. Snow doesn't really seem to stick long though. Chattanooga an hour or so south is a full zone warmer at 7b (8a?). Ya'll in Knoxville are only an hour or so east and much warmer. I would say Knoxville is at least zone 7b maybe 8a. 7a doesn't seem accurate.

Pikeville only 30 minutes south is solid 7a and records much less snowfall. Cookeville is even warmer and it's northwest of us. It's a bit of a curse when trying to zone push. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Swolte said:

I have found them quite vulnerable when young/establishing moreso than S. Minors, so I'd still protect them from wind and extreme cold. 
:)

Thanks. I will probably build a small fence or something to block the wind

• Upvote 1