IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pygmy Date Palm issues

Yesterdawg

Good morning!

I bought 2 Pygmy date palms (Phoeneix Roebelinii) about a month ago to put on my balcony in Las Vegas. The nursery they were at had them in dappled sunlight, but they are now in full shade for most of the day until around 5 pm when they get a bit of evening sun. 1 is older, about 6ft tall, and the other younger, about a 1.5ft trunk. I water them twice a week.

After coming back from vacation, about 2 weeks ago, I noticed that the lower fronds on the tall one had started to become brittle and die. I fed them Dr. Q's Palm Food (recommended by nursery)  and it seemed to help for a bit, but the lower fronds were done for, and I ended up cutting off 5 or 6 of them that were dead and brown. The smaller one was getting yellowing on the fronds, but most of the plant is still green, even if some of the fronds are a little wilted (leaves, not stems). 

However, the tall one's remaining fronds are now becoming brittle and starting to brown as well, and I am nervous I am going to lose the tree. Pictures included below. Please help me save my palms! I can try and provide any other information needed.

Thanks,

Sam in LV

RacrZgd.jpeg

fPkw1kH.jpegd0e19vv.jpeg

HoJhtzC.jpeg

Wow. Maybe dried it out! Roebellinis like moist roots and are not a great palm for deserts unless a lot of care is given