IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nursery pot larger than 7 gal.?

Missi

My Sabinaria has outgrown its 7 gal. (14.5 in. tall, 13" wide). Are there nursery pots larger than 7 gal. that are not the squat ones? I'm having issues finding any online :bummed:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

I found some 20 gal on Amazon but the prices are insane. 

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I see what you’re talking about. I found 5 packs of 10 gal and 5 packs of 15 gal for $60-80! What the actual heck?!!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

1 minute ago, Missi said:

I see what you’re talking about. I found 5 packs of 10 gal and 5 packs of 15 gal for $60-80! What the actual heck?!!

It's all supply and demand due to shortages from covid. 

1 hour ago, Missi said:

My Sabinaria has outgrown its 7 gal. (14.5 in. tall, 13" wide). Are there nursery pots larger than 7 gal. that are not the squat ones? I'm having issues finding any online :bummed:

Have you considered grow bags?  This site has up to 30 gallon size.  https://www.groworganic.com/collections/grow-bags

Go find one of those out of the way nurseries that installs and sells plants and go by and be nice and see if they will sell you one.  I have several nurseries nearby that have piles of old pots that will sell them to me $1-2 ea. on that size. 

• Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

@Missi Try hydroponic stores. They tend to have all kinds of useful stuff for way cheap. I get all my 25g standard nursery pots (I wish they were deeper, though. I constantly find myself mounding around the bases of trunks) from a store in Orlando. For whatever reason, in my area hydroponic stores tend to have a lot of niche supplies meant for people growing cannabis, but you can find 50L bags of hydroton, nursery pots, and more at prices lower than you'd typically find in a nursery. When I need perlite for rooting aroids or amending soil, I go to these places as well and you can get 50L for about $20, and its actually COURSE unlike all that crumbled down white dust you get from big box stores.

Found this one in Fort Myers which is over your way, but Naples seemed pretty barren of them: http://www.gthydroponics.com/

Edited by chad2468emr

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

On 5/19/2021 at 10:01 AM, JohnAndSancho said:

You don't want to know what I paid for some 42" plastic (terracotta look a like) pots I bought off of amazon.:sick:...

Butch

I'll be facing this soon with some of my larger plants. If not buying in bulk, it seems easier and cheaper to buy decorative plastic pots at sizes of 15+ gallons

Missi,

I have some pots to spare if you want them. I am in Ft Myers, send me a message or reply and we can discuss. Over the years I have bought used pots from landscapers and nurseries. Been accused of hoarding them! But I have some to share.