IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea Metallica help!!

John2468

Hello everyone!!

I recently received this palm from a seller on EBay. It came with its stem wrinkled and a broken spear. The stem is still hard and not mushy. How can I save this palm? Thanks!!

C4DFE0E1-8747-4163-A32E-AA0D072AE0AE.jpeg

13C5C3F7-8044-42B6-8AB2-11D585754348.jpeg

239EDE21-2DFA-42F6-BD5D-E19B84C44BA8.jpeg

82FF5B7A-9D43-4B15-8301-423FDBF4E94C.jpeg

46F306E4-286B-462C-9849-9632F94C694E.jpeg

920571DB-6CB1-4458-93C9-888AF731BA0D.jpeg

You should request a refund.  The stem should never be wrinkled like that, beyond the shocking lack of foliage.  This plant is suitable only for the compost bin.  :(

I buy a lot of stuff on Ebay, if the vendor is unresponsive you can ask Ebay to intervene in the disputed transaction.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

It's a shame there are people on ebay trying to peddle palms in that kind of shape =/ 

T J 

T J 

Was the listing called "BEAUTIFUL PALM FROM THE MEXICAN RAINFOREST!" by any chance? I would be tempted to get that too, it's like 40 dollars for a really nice sized one.

I'm sorry you recieved it like that, maybe it got like that during transport. Still, a refund is in order.

The acute dehydration suffered by this palm could not have occured in the few days of transit.  Chamaedorea stems are very solid and smooth.  This plant was a bummer before the sale.  :angry: 

• Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

I decided to repot the palm and watered it heavily and see if there are any changes in the morning. I also set up a camera to record if there are any movements.

2 hours ago, John2468 said:

No, it was not that listing, it is out of stock. 

95D12104-A572-42E6-8346-34E28FB7A95E.jpeg

Seems the seller was transparent about the palm with the picture used for the listing.  Why in the world would you buy a palm in this shape?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Live and learn. Look on Palmpedia and see what a healthy specimen should look like. That will give you a better chance of success when you order online in the future. Good luck.

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

19 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

You should request a refund.  The stem should never be wrinkled like that, beyond the shocking lack of foliage.  This plant is suitable only for the compost bin.  :(

I buy a lot of stuff on Ebay, if the vendor is unresponsive you can ask Ebay to intervene in the disputed transaction.  

Agree. That is a sick/dying palm. Get a refund.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.