IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Found some Sabal palms on E-Bay

Jimhardy

4 minutes ago, Jimhardy said:

These have been hard to come by unlike the "old" days!

He has McCurtain and Louisiana.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133752952052

I have two Louisiana already which are taking off like rockets but I've been toying with picking up a couple of these that this individual has.  I had sent a message asking how they knew these were what they were, ie did they get the seed and do it themselves, and the answer was less than stellar so I have been hesitating to pull the trigger on these listings.

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

Sabal palms and bare root shipping don't jive too well but maybe they are small enough to do well.  

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

2 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

These have been hard to come by unlike the "old" days!

He has McCurtain and Louisiana.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133752952052

2 hours ago, tlow said:

I have two Louisiana already which are taking off like rockets but I've been toying with picking up a couple of these that this individual has.  I had sent a message asking how they knew these were what they were, ie did they get the seed and do it themselves, and the answer was less than stellar so I have been hesitating to pull the trigger on these listings.

You could pick one up and see what it grows into. Even if it’s not a Louisiana Sabal for some reason I’m ok with that because I just love the look of it and am interested in most all sabals. 

I had some spare change lying around in Paypal so I decided to pick up another Louisiana for when we re-do our retaining wall.  It can accompany a S. Bermudana, some Minors, and a S. Brazoriensis.

• Like 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

I ordered a Birmingham and Louisiana. I can post pics when they arrive to compare. 

9 hours ago, tlow said:

You collect the seeds yourself is the right answer if your in the area.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

They lost me with that last pic.  I can only imagine the shape those roots will be in by time they get here.

5 minutes ago, Chad king NC said:

They lost me with that last pic.  I can only imagine the shape those roots will be in by time they get here.

427D2871-4703-4B48-91A8-C3CF8EBD7C10.jpeg

2 hours ago, Jtee said:

427D2871-4703-4B48-91A8-C3CF8EBD7C10.jpeg

Yeah,  I wouldn't want my sabal shipped like that.  Besides, lately I have had agave that I sold on ebay take forever to get to buyers.  

53 minutes ago, Chad king NC said:

Yeah,  I wouldn't want my sabal shipped like that.  Besides, lately I have had agave that I sold on ebay take forever to get to buyers.  

34A9F271-4ACB-4C89-82E8-17CBA29D3E8D.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jtee said:

34A9F271-4ACB-4C89-82E8-17CBA29D3E8D.jpeg

Looks just fine to me!  I'm not far from this seller so it'll be a quick jaunt over here.  Picked up another Louisiana as I can't resist so now I will have three.  The hardiness, and the growth rate on these is fantastic.

Got my Birmingham today. I've been reading they don't do well bare root. It got here in 2 days and was wrapped with a moist paper towel with some soil still in tact. Hoping for the best but from what I've read about Birmingham, I won't know for a decade anyways :lol:

I'm happy with it. I ordered a Lousiana too that should be here tomorrow. 

Nate

IMG_6195.jpg

IMG_6196.jpg

IMG_6198.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ColumbusPalm said:

Got my Birmingham today. I've been reading they don't do well bare root. It got here in 2 days and was wrapped with a moist paper towel with some soil still in tact. Hoping for the best but from what I've read about Birmingham, I won't know for a decade anyways :lol:

I'm happy with it. I ordered a Lousiana too that should be here tomorrow. 

Nate

IMG_6195.jpg

IMG_6196.jpg

IMG_6198.jpg

Looks great!  I think quite honestly, the pessimism is un-warranted given how well they are shipped.  You will be fine, and my third Louisiana will be here Friday.  I was going to get another Birmingham but I already have six, and if I keep adding more cold hardy palms my wife will kill me..... lol.  These are a really nice size for the price.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tlow said:

Looks great!  I think quite honestly, the pessimism is un-warranted given how well they are shipped.  You will be fine, and my third Louisiana will be here Friday.  I was going to get another Birmingham but I already have six, and if I keep adding more cold hardy palms my wife will kill me..... lol.  These are a really nice size for the price.

7 is a lucky number! Lol 

I can’t find these anywhere so I was happy with size and price. I plan on moving closer to the lake next year in a 6b so am going to grow them both in pots until next spring. Excited to see what the Louisiana will look like in a year. 

I ordered a Sabal Louisiana a few days ago. I hope the damp paper towel doesn't dry out by the time it makes it to me in California :bemused:. Fingers crossed...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Anyone notice the seller now only has 2 listings and they both are "Sabal Lousiana or Birmingham, lost the tags". 

Well, a mystery this will be for the foreseeable future lol. 

• Like 2

The Louisiana for anyone curious. I’ll see how they both grow and know more towards the end of the season.

231724B3-1361-4BEE-A756-8C68C1E16A0B.jpeg

12401FFA-D9CA-4188-92DD-32563ED36806.jpeg

EC80E200-ACE0-4838-9695-E047B583B5BA.jpeg

5 hours ago, ColumbusPalm said:

The Louisiana for anyone curious. I’ll see how they both grow and know more towards the end of the season.

231724B3-1361-4BEE-A756-8C68C1E16A0B.jpeg

12401FFA-D9CA-4188-92DD-32563ED36806.jpeg

EC80E200-ACE0-4838-9695-E047B583B5BA.jpeg

So it won't take long to figure it out to be honest.  I have 6x four year old S. Birminghams, all in the ground, and the fastest one thus far has grown 6" of strap leaf (split now thankfully) and a near spear is about 1" tall.... SLOW!  I have 2x S. Louisianas and one is in the ground.. that one, wow, it's also four years old, and the near spear is now 7" or more tall, it's fat, and growing real quick.  The potted one that was planted at the same time now has a near spear too that's about 3-4" tall.

Regardless... it's true, Birmingham is dreadfully slow, albeit hardy as hell, but the Louisiana is a rocket.  It's funny because I have three S. Minors throughout the property that were planted well after the Birmingham, and those are even much quicker after being in the ground for about a month now.

• Like 1

Mine arrived today in great shape :greenthumb:

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Same here!  Mine just got here this afternoon and I didn't realize it was even in the mailbox.. roots were nice and moist.  Again, if this is a Louisiana you'll see it take off in a few weeks.. If it's a Birmingham.. well it'll be slower :D

• Like 2

I bought the Louisiana from this ebay listing. Beautiful plant, bigger than I expected, have had it for over a week now and it looks BA. Ordered a Mccurtain as well and it's a nice plant , just not as nice as the Louisiana. Overall super pleased with my purchases

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

I bought the Louisiana from this ebay listing. Beautiful plant, bigger than I expected, have had it for over a week now and it looks BA. Ordered a Mccurtain as well and it's a nice plant , just not as nice as the Louisiana. Overall super pleased with my purchases

The interesting thing is now this seller has  5+ yr Louisianas for sale, McCurtains, and Birminghams again after being out of them... Must have a ton of them but yes I agree the one I got today looked good.  Absolutely no complaints.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

Nice!

The McCurtain will win your affections in time with its cold hardiness

but I will say watching the S.Lou's grow(when I had a few) was awesome!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

Nice!

The McCurtain will win your affections in time with its cold hardiness

I have no doubt of that! 

• Like 1

One of the Sabal Louisiana’s I got from eBay I noticed today is pushing up a new frond already. I’m trying to resist buying the 5 gal one he has because I’ve spent too much money on palms already but I really really want another, and I’m curious to see how much bigger they are then the previous 3 y/o ones he was selling. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jtee said:

One of the Sabal Louisiana’s I got from eBay I noticed today is pushing up a new frond already. I’m trying to resist buying the 5 gal one he has because I’ve spent too much money on palms already but I really really want another, and I’m curious to see how much bigger they are then the previous 3 y/o ones he was selling. 

I bought one because I have a problem so I will show you what it looks like when I get it! :lol:

• Like 1

Just ordered a Sabal Louisiana myself to try in Eastern Tn.

• Like 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

I felt the same way...what in the mental hellp am I doing buying more palms\when I have Princeps x Wagnerianus and T.Manipur (Naga Hills) and 

W.Filifera still that can go into the ground and I am buying Sabal palms lol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

I felt the same way...what in the mental hellp am I doing buying more palms\when I have Princeps x Wagnerianus and T.Manipur (Naga Hills) and 

W.Filifera still that can go into the ground and I am buying Sabal palms lol.

hah... same problem here.. I'm probably up to about 50 truly cold hardy (Birmingham, Louisiana, Minors of various types, Needles, and much more) with probably 5 maybe that I'll need to keep an eye on over the winter time, albeit Sabals as well.  I have another three coming tomorrow.  Another S. Bermudana, S. causiarum and S. uresana (hardier version).  I'm literally done after this order comes tomorrow.  I still have room in certain spots, or can make more spots, but I'm done.  My wife just eye rolls at this point.

3 hours ago, tlow said:

hah... same problem here.. I'm probably up to about 50 truly cold hardy (Birmingham, Louisiana, Minors of various types, Needles, and much more) with probably 5 maybe that I'll need to keep an eye on over the winter time, albeit Sabals as well.  I have another three coming tomorrow.  Another S. Bermudana, S. causiarum and S. uresana (hardier version).  I'm literally done after this order comes tomorrow.  I still have room in certain spots, or can make more spots, but I'm done.  My wife just eye rolls at this point.

Where did you score the hardier Sabal uresana?

The larger $43 Louisiana compared to the smaller. 

I may plant the larger one this week. 

B89B274B-F3A1-43E3-8A86-CEF3BB81B98E.jpeg

CD122A30-A407-4EBD-B43B-B77A8CF0317B.jpeg

• Like 1

Cool...hopefully the little one(s) are at least as big or bigger by seasons end

BTW. I an done buying palms etc too...

unless I come across something really cool -or a deal, you know

the kind where you save money by spending money.:sick:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

Cool...hopefully the little one(s) are at least as big or bigger by seasons end

BTW. I an done buying palms etc too...

unless I come across something really cool -or a deal, you know

the kind where you save money by spending money.:sick:

LOL.... Agreed.. It's a real struggle.

• Like 1