IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Windmill spear brown

James Robert

Live here in Greenville SC,  Had several cold days this past winter. Three of my  windmill palms (3' to 4' tall) have some damage. There are a few different stage spears that turned brown. Some party open,  some almost all the way open but are turning brown. This is my first exsperence with this. What is the procedure to help, or are they done.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, James Robert said:

Live here in Greenville SC,  Had several cold days this past winter. Three of my  windmill palms (3' to 4' tall) have some damage. There are a few different stage spears that turned brown. Some party open,  some almost all the way open but are turning brown. This is my first exsperence with this. What is the procedure to help, or are they done.

What was your lowest temperature? Windmills can take quite a bit of cold. Can you get any pics? It would be easier to tell what is going on if pics are posted.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Yes pics + when did you plant these?  Have you checked for spear pull?  Is newest spear and newer fronds ok?

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Thanks, Planted all 4 last your in June 2020.

They all were producing several new fronds. Noticed after winter the new growth was turning brown, and some our brown. Should I try to pull, and then if they come out, what to do next.

20210509_093310.jpg

20210509_093239.jpg

20210509_093232.jpg

20210509_093203.jpg

20210509_093143.jpg

20210509_093131.jpg

Those were greenhouse grown and long and lanky fronds so when you planted them those fronds are not very tough and got beat up bad.  Tug gently on the spear and see if it comes out.  regardless treat with straight hydrogen peroxide 2x per week in the morning when it's dry outside or copper fungicide.   mark the spear with a marker and see if it's pushing.  If so don't give up.   

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Thanks,  What about the the spear that opened up almost to branch.

Try to pull as well once it's completely brown. 

29 minutes ago, James Robert said:

Thanks,  What about the the spear that opened up almost to branch.

Try to pull as well once it's completely brown. 

The more that pulls the worse the diagnosis.  Try to firmly/gently pull spears or suspect fronds. 

This past winter was very odd,  my lowest temperature was 14 F but the whole month of February saw a covering of two feet of snow and this held down day temperatures. I have a half dozen of containerized Trachys that are about 5 footers that I grew from seedlings. Those overwinter in my garage and look fine, but the one in the ground seemed to have issues even before winter set in.

It lost all its foliage by February but I saw a green spear in the center, I pulled on it, and it's very firm. But what I did today was dig it out of the ground and containerize it. Why?I want a fully foliated palm in the ground before the next cold season.  I one I transplanted out of the ground to a container will have a summer to recover and get protected next winter in the garage.  At least it survived the previous WET and persistently cold winter.  Hope this helps.

Edited by oasis371

Thanks,  What will happen if I don't pull anything, and left alone. 

If it will cause death, I will gently pull.

Should I dose with peroxide if they come out, and how much. 

Edited by James Robert

I would pull  on the spear gently , but they should grow out a new spear  soon . They do that when they are  recently planted after winter . 

Keep us posted on its recovery . I feel pretty good about them growing new spears .

Will

If it has pushed out the brown stuff enough that it is opening and/or falling out then that should be a sign of growth. Would definitely gently pull on the spear, if it comes out pour peroxide or copper fungicide as directed above. If it were me, i would give them the peroxide or copper fungicide treatment anyway even if the spear pulls or not just to be on the safe side. Keep us updated!

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

I have heard that some palms CAN recover from spear pull, still, it's obviously a much better prognosis is the spear does NOT pull.