IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia Filibusta

ZPalms

14 hours ago, ZPalms said:

The most annoying and devastating thing happened to my washies, the table that they are sitting on I put outside on the lip of the steps of the screen in porch so they could get some sun for a couple hours and later in the day it started to pour rain and I didn't think to realize the rain that was going to come off the roof was going to completely pound the top of these 4 bags that were sitting directly under it and one fell over. I managed to save them all and get them all back into shape so hopefully they all survive from that beating they just received from the roof.

IMG_5705.jpg

IMG_5706.jpg

IMG_5708.jpg

They should be fine.  I use milk crates to store mine so they don't fall over

• Like 2

Is it safe to use mosquito bits tea to water my washies? (It's mosquito bits soaked in water then filtered to remove the physical bits)

4 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Is it safe to use mosquito bits tea to water my washies? (It's mosquito bits soaked in water then filtered to remove the physical bits)

Yup. :shaka-2:

I had pretty much gotten rid of them, then i bought some cheap soil and damnit they're back. 

I'm using mosquito dunks (same concept, just more difficult to get into little bits), sticky traps, h2o2, and beneficial nematodes to try and get these little flying jerks under control. Probably overkill but if it works it works. 

29 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Yup. :shaka-2:

I had pretty much gotten rid of them, then i bought some cheap soil and damnit they're back. 

I'm using mosquito dunks (same concept, just more difficult to get into little bits), sticky traps, h2o2, and beneficial nematodes to try and get these little flying jerks under control. Probably overkill but if it works it works. 

Awesome thanks! I'm using dollar general soil and it's not the worst it came almost completely gnat free and smelled of neem oil but i have no idea if it has neem oil in the soil but gonna go ahead and water my washies right now!

Tbh I'd wait 

Gnats mean you're overwatering, and they just got flooded the other day. 

Let them dry out first. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Tbh I'd wait 

Gnats mean you're overwatering, and they just got flooded the other day. 

Let them dry out first. 

They sit in a screen in porch so they don't get direct contact with rain other than when they got destroyed that one time, I'll leave them be for another 2 days and not water them I've been trying to get some stones so they can sit out under the sun without sitting directly in the grass

• 2 weeks later...

They have grown quite a bit, How long do I keep them in these bags or can they stay in these bags as if they were pots or Do they need to be moved to pots?

IMG_6020.jpg

6 hours ago, mydateplams said:

I would keep them as long as you could. One - two years.

Thank you!

• 9 months later...

We grew one from seed six years ago in Wilmington North Carolina it is doing fine. there is also a large one at Wrightsville Beach.

• Like 2

Knikfar has the Washys that might be great for the Wilmington area . I got three of them . You have probably seen his post about them growing  in Fayetteville .

Like I said , he sold me 3 . 

Will

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I recently spotted a relatively large Washingtonia Filibusta in the ground in The Hague, Netherlands (zone 7b / 8a). I was pleasantly surprised, not sure if they protect it in the winter. Will check what it is like in the winter in a few months. It was in a sheltered spot surrounded by many walls and a lot of pavement, possible urban heat island effect going on.

Here is a google streetview image: https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0614369,4.3348981,3a,56.3y,123.12h,96.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sW-gjBzaXCUdXUdj0w6Eiww!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

4 minutes ago, Zeni said:

I recently spotted a relatively large Washingtonia Filibusta in the ground in The Hague, Netherlands (zone 7b / 8a). I was pleasantly surprised, not sure if they protect it in the winter. Will check what it is like in the winter in a few months. It was in a sheltered spot surrounded by many walls and a lot of pavement, possible urban heat island effect going on.

Here is a google streetview image: https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0614369,4.3348981,3a,56.3y,123.12h,96.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sW-gjBzaXCUdXUdj0w6Eiww!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

At first while driving by I thought it was a pale Trachy (Princeps), but then I stood closer and saw clearly it was a Washingtonia. :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/13/2021 at 3:29 PM, buffy said:

For the most part, all of the filibustas survived the -5F freeze with one week under freezing here in Longview. 

Would you have any of your super hero filibusta seeds to spread and invade thé belgien soil here😍

On 5/6/2021 at 6:41 PM, Reyes Vargas said:

I don't know how well they would do in North Carolina but I might have some seeds to send you.  I do have to check because they were eaten by some bug.

Here is my tree I collected the seeds from.

20201206_110218~2.jpg

May I also get any?🙂

On 5/19/2022 at 9:51 PM, Zeni said:

Nice photo Zeni. You don't see them often planted out in the Netherlands. 

I think The Hague is 8B (-6,7/-9,4 C; 15-20 F) .  In our damp cool winters Washingtonia's can only take about -6 C (21 F).  It might survive for some years but I think unprotected Washingtonia's won't survive long term here.  I agree that the sheltered spot might help a bit. 

Edited by Marco67
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Marco67 said:

Nice photo Zeni. You don't see them often planted out in the Netherlands. 

I think The Hague is 8B (-6,7/-9,4 C; 15-20 F) .  In our damp cool winters Washingtonia's can only take about -6 C (21 F).  It might survive for some years but I think unprotected Washingtonia's won't survive long term here.  I agree that the sheltered spot might help a bit. 

Curious what it looks like in January and February. I don't think the owner protects it (too big for it now), but who knows.

About the zones, yeah I think The Hague may be 8b. Many of these weather stations nearby who record the official weather are in exposed areas like airports or just outside the city lacking UHI effect. I have even seen people growing Red Cordylines in the ground in The Hague. Red Cordylines have a similar hardiness to Washingtonia Filibustas.

Edited by Zeni
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeni said:

Curious what it looks like in January and February. I don't think the owner protects it (too big for it now), but who knows.

About the zones, yeah I think The Hague may be 8b. Many of these weather stations nearby who record the official weather are in exposed areas like airports or just outside the city lacking UHI effect. I have even seen people growing Red Cordylines in the ground in The Hague. Red Cordylines have a similar hardiness to Washingtonia Filibustas.

Parts of Zeeland are even 9a. Unfortunately sometimes we are hit by cold air from the east which can last for a week or more and limits our options. Cordylines are zone 9 plants so I don't think they will make it longtime. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/19/2022 at 9:51 PM, Zeni said:

Thanks, i stopped by and took a picture today of what is no doubt the largest washingtonia in Holland. Almost no winterdamaged fronds too.

D4697A94-9853-4A4E-82D6-77D59357C705.jpeg

• Like 4

@Hortulanus @Foxpalms @Axel Amsterdam @UK_Palms @ZPalms @Marco67

Alex and I did a little bit of research on the web and discovered these Washies were planted around 2008 as small garden centre plants. The owner posted about it years ago on a Dutch exotic gardening forum, but hasn't been active there in a long time. 

Around 13 December 2022 (this winter's low) I stopped by to check if it was getting protected and I can confirm it wasn't.

Lastly, judging by the owner's earlier posts with stem pics it looks to be either a Robusta or a Robusta dominant Filibusta.  🤯 😁

• Like 4

I had no idea my little thread was active, I haven't even added any updates for my filibustas in a long time but they ain't babies no more, I'm about to plant one in the coming days finally!

growing from seed really makes it special 😍

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I had no idea my little thread was active, I haven't even added any updates for my filibustas in a long time but they ain't babies no more, I'm about to plant one in the coming days finally!

growing from seed really makes it special 😍

Hah, at the time I just searched for 'Filibusta' and this thread popped up first. That's why I posted it here. 

• Like 1

@Zeni @Axel Amsterdam Interesting find there, What is the street view location for it? Would be interesting to see how it has grown and faired over the years. Also whether or not it is half growing out of a walled structure or something too?

• Upvote 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

@UK_Palms

Scroll upwards and you'll see the maps link. Streetview is available on it,  maybe toggle around and it will open up. It was planted in 2008 but isn't visible above the wall (barrier between public street & private garden) until the 2015 image. Growth starts speeding up around 2018.

My worry for this chap is that as it gets taller the growth point will be more exposed to wind/colder air temperature and will get less protection from walls or heat released from bricks and pavement.

21 hours ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

Thanks, i stopped by and took a picture today of what is no doubt the largest washingtonia in Holland. Almost no winterdamaged fronds too.

D4697A94-9853-4A4E-82D6-77D59357C705.jpeg

In 2019 the trunk had this height

50670CBD-D892-4DD4-8432-A1C2318AED08.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

In 2019 the trunk had this height

50670CBD-D892-4DD4-8432-A1C2318AED08.jpeg

And in 2008, so it took quite some years to reach a modest trunk in the Dutch climate but now its growing faster. 

ED3F5C3F-977E-462E-853F-85B24DBC59CA.jpeg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Zeni said:

My worry for this chap is that as it gets taller the growth point will be more exposed to wind/colder air temperature and will get less protection from walls or heat released from bricks and pavement.

Yes it will be more exposed but on the other hand its reaching its full hardiness potential now at this size. Years ago, even a recently imported pure robusta regrew its fronds after a wet Dutch winter and an occasional -8C. 

23B95A75-6AD2-4CB1-BF62-AF23321463F6.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Just now, Axel Amsterdam said:

Yes it will be more exposed but on the other hand its reaching its full hardiness potential now at this size. Years ago, even a recently imported pure robusta regrew its fronds after a wet Dutch winter and an occasional -8C. 

23B95A75-6AD2-4CB1-BF62-AF23321463F6.jpeg

Luckily it had a large rootball 😊

8AE05B03-65F7-4D0C-A975-078A35E21FDD.jpeg

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, ChicagoPalma said:

Anybody got a filibusta seeds?

I’ve bought plants on Etsy. People sell seed there too.

12 hours ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

And in 2008, so it took quite some years to reach a modest trunk in the Dutch climate but now its growing faster. 

ED3F5C3F-977E-462E-853F-85B24DBC59CA.jpeg

The lack of nutrient absorption from the limited open soil that isn't paved could have slowed it down potentially. Also, not sure if the owner is really into gardening or just like many amateur gardeners who don't use fertiliser.

Anyhow, this strategy of planting marginal palms near walls is great and proven here.

Two walls with a 90 degree angle even better.

Edited by Zeni