IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What palms are in stock in your local Home Depot / Lowes?

smatofu

I imagined you were thinking like a businessman. Clearly, all you need to do is store them at some lot for 2 years, give them some sun and a bit of water (protection during winters), and you can ask triple the price for them! $$$
:innocent:

Edited by Swolte

Just now, Swolte said:

I imagined you were thinking like a businessman. Clearly, all you need to do is store them at some lot for 2 years, give them some sun and a bit of water (protection during winters), and you can ask triple the price for them! $$$
:innocent:

Queens, no. They just look so nice while they last....

• Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

3 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Queens, no. They just look so nice while they last....

Yup, just ask the guys at Drew's carwash who had just installed some tall ones (if you swing by the towerpoint area...) 
:lol:

4 minutes ago, Swolte said:

Yup, just ask the guys at Drew's carwash who had just installed some tall ones (if you swing by the towerpoint area...) 
:lol:

Oh they were so sad after the freeze, they were bleeding. That was a horrible spot for them anyhow. Can’t get away with them in just any spot. I think they had just planted a Sabal! Good for them I bet it’s alive??

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

1 minute ago, Collectorpalms said:

I think they had just planted a Sabal! Good for them I bet it’s alive??

I had not noticed yet! Will check on the next grocery run. 

3EA99395-8188-4AD4-8F5E-6595F27800C6.jpeg

42602BB7-5119-421E-A7D0-E7402DE267DE.jpeg

9EC2857B-5E93-48CC-B629-41A5D5F2C96B.jpeg

CB7F164D-E9B7-4B3A-8C34-AF69428F49EC.jpeg

DB651BF2-9D20-4B12-AAB1-62F4D3A5C7C9.jpeg

12D54E40-0181-466E-80A3-F869E965B338.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

I just got back from HD and they had chamaedorea cataractarum.20210506_103000.thumb.jpg.168412e8083f95cea3fe088d88c54718.jpg

20210506_103007.thumb.jpg.6605b72c3ef394cbc4dd0f05a842ed51.jpg

Is this a good price for them and are cat palms worth buying?  Thanks.

They do great indoors. The smaller one on my patio looks like crap. But this one doesn't stop growing. 

Message_1619580153698.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Only thing at the big stores here are majesty palms and ponytail palms.  The local nursery stocks Butia‘s and trachy but no one seems to buy them except me.

Needed some things at HEB.

DA77AC94-F5E1-464B-A887-ECF899E0C070.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

They do great indoors. The smaller one on my patio looks like crap. But this one doesn't stop growing. 

Message_1619580153698.jpg

That is a nice looking palm right there.  That's it, I'm buying two tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

I see you only got the necessities.

9 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

That is a nice looking palm right there.  That's it, I'm buying two tomorrow.

Thank you. 

They've got a reputation for being slow, some people say they keep them dry indoors. That hasn't been my experience. I keep mine watered well and mist it daily. Mine is in a cheap bottom watering pot from Target, it's been in this corner under a grow light for close to a year now and it's just growing and growing. 

I did have a couple suckers turn yellow on me, I cut them off at the soil and treated with peroxide a couple times. It's recovered well. It's become my favorite in my collection - it just keeps growing. Fwiw I also keep my apartment pretty cold, at least for palm standards - I keep it between 65-70 in here. And it gets 12-14 hours of LED grow light a day. Meanwhile, the smaller one on my patio looks like crap. Both came from mail order via Costa Farms/Home Depot. 

It's easily 1.5-2ft taller than when it arrived. It comes up to my eyebrows now. I'm only 5'8 but it's still the fastest growing palm I own. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

You forgot the stuffed jalapenos and the rotisserie chicken. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Thank you. 

They've got a reputation for being slow, some people say they keep them dry indoors. That hasn't been my experience. I keep mine watered well and mist it daily. Mine is in a cheap bottom watering pot from Target, it's been in this corner under a grow light for close to a year now and it's just growing and growing. 

I did have a couple suckers turn yellow on me, I cut them off at the soil and treated with peroxide a couple times. It's recovered well. It's become my favorite in my collection - it just keeps growing. Fwiw I also keep my apartment pretty cold, at least for palm standards - I keep it between 65-70 in here. And it gets 12-14 hours of LED grow light a day. Meanwhile, the smaller one on my patio looks like crap. Both came from mail order via Costa Farms/Home Depot. 

Im debating on whether to plant in pots or in ground.  I'm leaning towards planting it in the ground.  I have a spot where it gets shade during the hottest part of the day especially during our miserable summer's.  Although they do look nice in lots.  I don't know I'll figure it out.

3 hours ago, Swolte said:

The local Lowes had an overabundance of pygmy date palms. The HEB supermarket even sold queens!

I guess they do all need to be replaced...

Same in all HD/Lowes stores in the Dallas area: Pygmy galore! Not much else.

Edited by smatofu

3 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Im debating on whether to plant in pots or in ground.  I'm leaning towards planting it in the ground.  I have a spot where it gets shade during the hottest part of the day especially during our miserable summer's.  Although they do look nice in lots.  I don't know I'll figure it out.

They're a suckering palm. It'll grow in lots on its own. But, like I said, my indoor one is a beast, my outdoor one is likely dumpster food lol. 

I was in Lowe's today.  Only had pigmy dates, a few 15 gal Washies and one 15 gal Med Fan Palm

I didn't even see Sagos.  (They had Sagos and Butias a week or two ago) 

Edited by PricklyPearSATC

The big orange store in z7a Olney MD seems to have given up on outdoor year round palms.  Not a palmate palm in place.  But they did not do much better in the past 5 years when they sold Trachy's (OK) Mediterranean fan palms, Chinese fan palms, and the occasional Pindo Palm, along with the obvious house plant palms (cats and majesties).  But no sabals and no needles.  So I had to buy palms to be overwintered in the ground on line.  Very odd to me that they chose to sell cold hardy palms, most of which are not quite cold hardy enough to survive outside in winter without a decent amount of work/protection, and didn't sell the most cold hardy palms that survive here more easily.  

The local Home Depot here brings in queens every year with 10-12 ft of trunk for $199. The lay them out front on the ground & never car for them. You have to get them when they first come in or they are toast.

The local Home Depot here brings in queens every year with 10-12 ft of trunk for $199. The lay them out front on the ground & never car for them. You have to get them when they first come in or they are toast.

In South Carolina at the orange store we got these scraggly looking shade grown Chamaerops, 7g for $70. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

18 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

I will buy a couple tomorrow.  One question, are these clumping palms or do they plant many palms in the same pot?  Thanks.

To answer your question, yes.  They are clumpers and often they will plant multiples in the same pot.  The first one I bought in 2017 had 2 females.  The one in the ground hasn't flowered yet so maybe I can introduce them if I get a male out of that pot.

Jon Sunder

On 5/5/2021 at 12:39 PM, Chester B said:

None yet - usually end of May or first week of June they show up.

Last year outside was Trachycarpus fortunei, Chamaerops humilis (green), Ponytail palms, Washingtonia robusta and filifera. 

Pygmy dates, Majesties, Cat palms, Lady palms and coconuts are kept inside

Last year I picked up 3 nice Butia odorata from Lowes in Salem along with some fortunei and filifera.  At $20 a pop why not....

46 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

Last year I picked up 3 nice Butia odorata from Lowes in Salem along with some fortunei and filifera.  At $20 a pop why not....

Is it the one on Hagers grove road?  I pass through Salem almost once a week now on my way to one of my fishing spots, I could always take a detour.

I'm going to swing by the one in Oregon city this afternoon, I'll report what I find.

Edited by Chester B

On 5/6/2021 at 7:04 PM, Swolte said:

The local Lowes had an overabundance of pygmy date palms. The HEB supermarket even sold queens!

I guess they do all need to be replaced...

Lowes Roebb2.jpg

Loes Roebb.jpg

HEB Queens.jpg

pygmy dates look nice, I wish I had them here but my lowes only sells parlor palms and sago which are equally as nice

6 hours ago, Chester B said:

Is it the one on Hagers grove road?  I pass through Salem almost once a week now on my way to one of my fishing spots, I could always take a detour.

I'm going to swing by the one in Oregon city this afternoon, I'll report what I find.

You are thinking of Home Depot.  Lowes is on Turner road by the airport.  And I was just there yesterday.  No palms yet.

Saw some fishtail (Caryota) palms at a Home Depot today. Some of the leaves were crisped/brown which made me wonder if they were left outside during the winter or if they were otherwise neglected in some way.

• 3 weeks later...

Lowes in Milwaukie, Oregon.  Not many palms but at least there were a few.  Last year they skipped getting palms altogether.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lowe's on the south end and Lowe's on seaboard both have some new options for this season. Queens, mules, Chinese fans, and confusingly enough a few spindles.

The normal suspects were also available - needle, Washy, majesty, pygmy date yadda yadda yadda. I was there to pick up a cat palm, which is always available, but of course this time it wasn't. 

None of my pictures will load, I dunno what the hell is going on. 

• Like 1

Home Depot in Oregon city got a large shipment of palms in.  All the usual suspects

Trachycarpus fortunei

Chamaerops humilis

Washingtonia robusta

Rhapis exelsa

Non palms

Ponytail palms

Ensete ventricosum "maurellii"

Dwarf cavendish banana - First time I've seen these there

Musa basjoo - first time I've seen these there

Orange bird of paradise

• Like 2

We have pretty much the same selection here at  Homedepot in Bellevue minus Rhapis excelsa. 

They really overcharge the trachycarpus price this year.  The 15 gal price for $64.95 for a small plant ...eekkk... :sick:

PXL_20210602_164814861.jpg

PXL_20210602_164910921.jpg

The $65 Trachys here were much bigger than those ones in Bellevue.  Those are closer to the $25 size here.

Started seeing more of these mixed in at my Lowes in FL. $109 

20210408_103625.jpg

20210408_103629.jpg

Edited by aabell
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Majesty palms... just Majesty. 

Thats all they get in anymore. No idea why. 

• Like 1

Picked up a real nice Chamaerops humilis from Lowe's yesterday.  15 gallon for $79.99.  I usually wait for these to go on sale but this one was so nice I had to bring it home.

chamerops.jpg

Edited by Fallen Munk
spelling
  • Like 1

Nice.  Up here, Home Depot gets more palms than Lowes.  However, the Lowes palms are usually more bang for the buck, by a good margin.  I almost bought that same size Chamaerops for the same price a couple weeks ago.  I regretted not buying it so I went back this past weekend.  As I was walking into the garden center door, a lady was loading up THE LAST ONE into her SUV.  

So I went to home depot and bought a 1-gallon size Chamaerops stuffed into a 5 gallon pot for $25.  And kicked myself for ever passing up the one at Lowes.  

Last year I bought 2 Butia's from Lowes, same size, same price.  Which is a really good deal, at least in this area. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

Picked up a real nice Chamaerops humilis from Lowe's yesterday.  15 gallon for $79.99.  I usually wait for these to go on sale but this one was so nice I had to bring it home.

chamerops.jpg

Pretty beefy. 

Home Depot has had better prices on palms the last few years.  4 years back the Lowes here had big Trachys and big Chamaerops for ridiculously low prices, but since then its all gone downhill.

• Like 1

I purchased a butia capitata and a european fan palm from two different Home Depot's here in the Raleigh, NC area this year. Surprisingly, there have been no windmill palms at all. Or sabal minors for that matter. And we're less than 2 hours from sabal minors natural range. But I do see a lot of both in people's yards around here. So I guess people usually purchase them at local nurseries instead of the big box stores. I've purchased most of mine from local nurseries. 

Not a palm, but I snagged this rostrata at Lowe’s for $68 last week. I have no place for it so it’ll be a potted plant until I do lol. 

45E814DA-E3C4-4CB9-84B1-D41D1D831955.jpeg