IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First Palm Tree, Need Advice

ZPalms

On 5/26/2021 at 8:30 PM, ZPalms said:

Just curious to know if I planted my sabal deep enough since I've seen pictures of others who only have the leaves showing unless this is normal cause I read somewhere not to bury them too deep and it's ok to expose just a bit of root if that is what this is but I usually cover it with a bit of soil, I'm assuming it's ok cause the leaves look like they've grown

IMG_5504.jpg

Like others said, it looks fine.  What you have circled is likely the start of the "heel" which is something that Sabal palms have.  Don't be alarmed if you see roots exposed from this "heel" it is natural.  Below you can see a very large "heel" on my young Sabal uresana.  Sabal minor will develop one too although not as big.

IMG_20200607_203705.thumb.jpg.873beee94fbfbc68b10bc0440dea70dc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2021 at 4:06 PM, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

It's not generally recommend to fertilize palms until they've had a full growing season to get established.  You can use liquid kelp right away though which helps promote root growth

Do you have any Liquid kelp that you recommend?

33 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Do you have any Liquid kelp that you recommend?

This is what I use

253E3F4E-3B3E-4CB2-9D35-89972B0525C6.thumb.jpeg.b2587830b0ab8f78bf5b9d8d1418e0e8.jpeg

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

This is what I use

253E3F4E-3B3E-4CB2-9D35-89972B0525C6.thumb.jpeg.b2587830b0ab8f78bf5b9d8d1418e0e8.jpeg

Thank you, will definitely buy! Are their directions on the back or Is their a specific way or amount you give younger sabals? or palms in general?

51 minutes ago, Honez said:

What does that liquid kelp do?

They said it promotes root growth and I saw it has other benefits when I looked it up

11 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Thank you, will definitely buy! Are their directions on the back or Is their a specific way or amount you give younger sabals? or palms in general?

There are directions on the back 

• Like 1

When do sabals usually palmate, I'm betting on the new leaf it's pushing up to be palmate since it is going into its 4th year but just wondering if anyone knew based on personal experience?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is a problem or it's just because of the age of the leaf but it's developed these brown spotsIMG_6183.thumb.jpg.8373db7738ed2ffdda5f5c7a04cdf47e.jpg

IMG_6182.jpg