IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can cocos survive in Lindos,Rhodes in Greece?

southathens

9 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

@Victor G. @ego @Phoenikakias

An interesting find!

It seems that I had missed the data of the Rhodes Port from the Davis fan aspirated met station of the Meteocam Network!

I remind you that the National Observatory of Athens does not have a station in the actual port of Rhodes but in the city at around 100 m altitude....and it appears that the differences between the port and higher altitudes in the city of Rhodes are considerable!

Below the climate data of the Rhodes Port for the entire period of the station's operation 

image.thumb.png.997c952e3bc3a9660d7a3b4a71fbc6ec.png

So at a first glance we can see that the Port of Rhodes actually rivals Kasos in terms of average minimum winter temperatures!!!

The Port of Rhodes is only slightly cooler than Kasos during the winter. It appears that the Port of Rhodes is actually milder during the winter compared to Lindos! From a quick search I did, it appears that the Rhodes Port is actually the second mildest area of Greece during the winter after Kasos! Beating all areas of South Crete! 

It also has a stunning 20.6C average annual temperature. The second highest in the country after Lindos!

I remind you also that the Port of Rhodes is one of the very few areas in Greece that we do not have a reliable report of ever snowing! The other two is the capital of Kasos, Fri and Kastelorizo!

In light of this... what do you guys reckon? Could the city of Rhodes actually have a decent chance of growing cocos? I mean it is only behind Kasos at a national level when it comes to mild winters!

Btw here is the link of the Davis station for anyone interested to follow the station in the future

https://www.meteocam.gr/rhodes/

I can not speak from experience, since I've never tried to grow coconuts (yet!), but according to the wisdom I have gathered from the PalmTalk forum, it's still too cool. 

The winter months have a mean maximum of 15-16°C and the coconut would need more than that. 

But until someone tries it and fails, no hope is lost

25 minutes ago, Victor G. said:

I can not speak from experience, since I've never tried to grow coconuts (yet!), but according to the wisdom I have gathered from the PalmTalk forum, it's still too cool. 

The winter months have a mean maximum of 15-16°C and the coconut would need more than that. 

But until someone tries it and fails, no hope is lost

Paphos did it with similar winter maxes. Like the differences are negligible and on top of that both the Port of Rhodes and Kasos have milder winter minimums compared to Paphos! Also remember the above data include the horrible Jan and Mar 2022 data which were among the coldest winter months on record for the Dodecanese. If we exclude these then winter maxes in the Port of Rhodes would be over 16C in January and close to 18C in March.

I think it's a matter  of actually finding a local who is really into it.

I believe the Port of Rhodes data are very very promising in that we are talking about the city proper. Our chances of finding a local who actually cares about cocos are exponentially higher if we deem the city of Rhodes a candidate for cocos!

Edited by Manos33

22 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

If we exclude these then winter maxes in the Port of Rhodes would be over 16C in January and close to 18C in March.

Yeah, but if you exclude this winter you only have 2-3 years of record, which is an indication, but not very accurate.

The coconut in Paphos indeed is a rare occasion. That is based on the knowledge acquired in this forum.
UNLESS the coconuts can handle more cold than we think. It would be an interesting experiment to plant one in different locations and see what happens.

By the way, Manos, why don't you try to plant a potted one where you live? You live in a warm suburb of Attica.
It would probably die, but you could observe it and see exactly when it dies.
For example, if it dies in early December, we'll know that coconuts don't even have a remote chance here in Attica.
However, if it dies in the middle of a very bad winter, at least we will know that we are close to the limit

(I plan to carry out this experiment here in Dikastika next year maybe. I know it will die; I just want to see when this happens)

Edited by Victor G.

37 minutes ago, Victor G. said:

Yeah, but if you exclude this winter you only have 2-3 years of record, which is an indication, but not very accurate.

The coconut in Paphos indeed is a rare occasion. That is based on the knowledge acquired in this forum.
UNLESS the coconuts can handle more cold than we think. It would be an interesting experiment to plant one in different locations and see what happens.

By the way, Manos, why don't you try to plant a potted one where you live? You live in a warm suburb of Attica.
It would probably die, but you could observe it and see exactly when it dies.
For example, if it dies in early December, we'll know that coconuts don't even have a remote chance here in Attica.
However, if it dies in the middle of a very bad winter, at least we will know that we are close to the limit

(I plan to carry out this experiment here in Dikastika next year maybe. I know it will die; I just want to see when this happens)

I have thought of trying a potted coco for a long time now. I always postpone fearing its just not worth it... I ll tell you what, if your experiment is kinda promising I might give it a try!

Now back to the data of the Port of Rhodes. Yeah the data are only for a few years but again we do get a good indication that this is the mildest area in the country during the winter after Kasos. The Port of Rhodes might be even stronger candidate than Lindos... 

Edited by Manos33

12 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

I have thought of trying a potted coco for a long time now. I always postpone fearing its just not worth it... I ll tell you what, if your experiment is kinda promising I might give it a try!

Now back to the data of the Port of Rhodes. Yeah the data are only for a few years but again we do get a good indication that this is the mildest area in the country during the winter after Kasos. The Port of Rhodes might be even stronger candidate than Lindos... 

An already potted coconut would be too expensive, I think. Especially in Greece, where they're so hard to find. 

IKEA occasionally brings some extremely cheap ones, but I wouldn't get one from there even if they paid me. They're full of fertilizers and possibly some hormones to look good on the shelf, but die after a month of two. I'd try buying one and planting it myself.

About Rhodes: it could be, but we'll never know until someone actually tries it

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Victor G. said:

About Rhodes: it could be, but we'll never know until someone actually tries it

Which is why now that we have at least some reliable data from Rhodes city and given that it has many inhabitants it might be wise to galvanise the interest of the locals regarding tropical plants and cocos.

I mean the data are promising given that Paphos just around the corner did it!

Edited by Manos33

If, I say if, there were a place where maximum winter temperatures were around 15 C every day, I can imagine a cocos being able to withstand the winter. Of course it wouldn't grow but it might survive till spring. However I don't think any such place exists in Greece. Does it?

previously known as ego

23 hours ago, ego said:

If, I say if, there were a place where maximum winter temperatures were around 15 C every day, I can imagine a cocos being able to withstand the winter. Of course it wouldn't grow but it might survive till spring. However I don't think any such place exists in Greece. Does it?

of course there are! 

Even SW mainland Greece can do that if we get a good string of winters. The thing is for how many years can you sustain this. I think every 2-3 years you get at least a few days with maxes below 15C anywhere in Greece. 

Let's make a kibbutz/cooperativa in Kasos. We buy some land and grow tropicals there.

previously known as ego

Even the locals can't coordinate this.

Imagine a bunch of Athenians who don't live there trying to pull off a cooperativa in Kasos 🤣

I think our best bet statistically speaking is the city of Rhodes. Especially around the port of Rhodes, given the new evidence we now have of how mild the winters are over there. 

Edited by Manos33

• 2 weeks later...

ALERT: PATRONIZING BELOW:

Manos the fact that you still haven't planted a cocos in your balcony in order to check all these pages of theory we are writing here, is beyond me. Personally, if my yard were not north-facing and always few degrees cooler than the rest of the town (these days that temperatures reach 26C in Nea Makri, my yard has only seen 21,5), I would have done it. 

It will be 2045 one day, and we will still be here talking about whether a coconut can survive in Greece.  You live in one of the most favorable areas! Go get one! 😄

Edited by ego
  • Upvote 1

previously known as ego

2 hours ago, ego said:

Manos the fact that you still haven't planted a cocos in your balcony in order to check all these pages of theory we are writing here, is beyond me. Personally, if my yard were not north-facing and always few degrees cooler than the rest of the town (these days that temperatures reach 26C in Nea Makri, my yard has only seen 21,5), I would have done it. 

It will be 2045 one day, and we will still be here talking about whether a coconut can survive in Greece.  You live in one of the most favorable areas! Go get one! 😄

I agree on that one! A year ago I was convinced that coconuts need absolutely tropical weather (meaning 20 low, 30 high) and that they can take just a little cold snap, as soon as the weather returns to tropical afterwards.
However, from isolated incidents I've seen in the last months, there are coconuts that grow well outside the tropics.

That doesn't mean that we definitely stand a chance, but the coconut is more hardy than I personally thought.

Don't forget that we don't have experience with the plant, so no one can say for sure whether it will survive. Apart from some individual growers, like the coconuts in Cyprus, Spain and Malta (which I think died), we haven't got the first idea if it will grow.

I will definitely try it next year, when I move back to Greece. I you happen to find a coconut somewhere, why not plant it and try it?

On 10/27/2022 at 9:26 AM, ego said:

Haha

Well I did try again in the past but with robustas not cocos. I quickly gave up. I have 3 jobs mate, I travel daily between my day job, my house and my boyfriend's house and most importantly now I am a dad which means I need to travel odd hours if and when needed to help out the mum !!

I can't really invest time apart from posting here! Unfortunately, that's the best the community will get from me for the foreseeable future...

Granted, Glyfada is a really really favorable area in Athens but still a coco would be stretch. Yeah, I mean If I had time I would probably try it but life happens! That's why our absolute best bet is Rhodes city.

It is clear by now that the city of Rhodes is the least challenging option in Greece for cocos. We have both the mild climate and enough population in the city. Eventually someone will pick it up and try it.

What I can suggest is that we join forces to campaign for Rhodes locals to give cocos a try.

Come on let's think how we can galvanize their interest and let's do it! 

Who is in???

Edited by Manos33

How about I run for president in the next elections? I will make it my top priority to plant coconuts in Rhodes.

But seriously now, how can we get the locals' attention? Do you have any ideas?
I fear that, not living there makes things very hard. You could post in FB groups, but are they going to listen?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There are some coconuts with fruit on them quite a bit above sea level in the canary Islands. They would probably be ideal for Greece.

3 minutes ago, Foxpalms said:

There are some coconuts with fruit on them quite a bit above sea level in the canary Islands. They would probably be ideal for Greece.

I always pictured the Canary Islands as fully tropical, given their latitude and the fact that part of the gulf stream warms them up.

Or am I mistaken?

Edited by Victor G.

1 hour ago, Victor G. said:

I always pictured the Canary Islands as fully tropical, given their latitude and the fact that part of the gulf stream warms them up.

Or am I mistaken?

Yes but 500m above sea level whilst it still never freezes there, it is cooler than next to the sea. I just went from 24c to 29c in a 20min walk so for the frost free places of Greece they will be better since they are more cool tolerant. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Foxpalms said:

Yes but 500m above sea level whilst it still never freezes there, it is cooler than next to the sea. I just went from 24c to 29c in a 20min walk so for the frost free places of Greece they will be better since they are more cool tolerant. 

I understand, thanks for the info!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Victor G. said:

How about I run for president in the next elections? I will make it my top priority to plant coconuts in Rhodes.

But seriously now, how can we get the locals' attention? Do you have any ideas?
I fear that, not living there makes things very hard. You could post in FB groups, but are they going to listen?

I posted a call to locals on the biggest Greek met forum.  Why don't you follow up there with a post?

I think we should also communicate the Greek guide for planting cocos alongside any call we do towards the locals in Rhodes.

The island is big our chances of someone actually caring enough to try are much much higher than in Kasos

Edited by Manos33
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Manos33 said:

I posted a call to locals on the biggest Greek met forum.  Why don't you follow up there with a post?

I think we should also communicate the Greek guide for planting cocos alongside any call we do towards the locals in Rhodes.

The island is big our chances of someone actually caring enough to try are much much higher than in Kasos

I will post, although I think this thread on the greek forum is a waste of time. It's been active for months now and 90% of the posts are you and me.

People interested in tropical gardening are not present in that forum but the Facebook groups might stand a chance

Edited by Victor G.
  • Upvote 1

On 11/2/2022 at 12:21 PM, Victor G. said:

I will post, although I think this thread on the greek forum is a waste of time. It's been active for months now and 90% of the posts are you and me.

People interested in tropical gardening are not present in that forum but the Facebook groups might stand a chance

There are many but they dont post. If they see active participation they might be motivated.

I have been saying that forever but you guys never listen to me!

Post anyways!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manos33 said:

There are many but they dont post. If they see active participation they might be motivated.

I have been saying that forever but you guys never listen to me!

Post anyways!!!

As I posted/states before: 

Objectively,  coconuts will not survive planted in Rhodes, Greece without supplemental heating.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

8 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

As I posted/states before: 

Objectively,  coconuts will not survive planted in Rhodes, Greece without supplemental heating.

All opinions point to this and I believe it's a long shot. However, it seems that the Panama Tall species has some cold/cool tolerance that others don't. Another member of the Palmtalk forum has a coconut in Cyprus (probably of this variety, but we don't know for sure) and has made it!

So, unless someone tries it, we'll never know for sure

Edited by Victor G.
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Victor G. said:

All opinions point to this and I believe it's a long shot. However, it seems that the Panama Tall species has some cold/cool tolerance that others don't. Another member of the Palmtalk forum has a coconut (probably of this variety, but we don't know for sure) and has made it!

jawohl

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 11/4/2022 at 12:25 AM, Victor G. said:

All opinions point to this and I believe it's a long shot. However, it seems that the Panama Tall species has some cold/cool tolerance that others don't. Another member of the Palmtalk forum has a coconut in Cyprus (probably of this variety, but we don't know for sure) and has made it!

Yep, the fact that Paphos in Cyprus, which has cooler winter minimums compared to the port of Rhodes, did it is the most encouraging if you ask me. Paphos is just around the corner so it is striking no one has tried growing cocos in the coastal areas of Rhodes. 

We are talking about Greece's third largest island population wise. Our best bet is the city of Rhodes, especially around the port!

The challenge is to motivate the locals!!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I notice that some locals have started showing interest over in the Greek forum. We might get also information on supplies of cocos in Rhodes!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all!

So after some debate over in the Greek forum we have emailed the Municipality of Rhodes in order to draw some attention to their Green Service regarding the potential planting of cocos under the auspices of the Municipality in the Port of Rhodes..

Below is the email we sent them in Greek... If you want help I can give you a rough translation. Let's hope they will come back to us with a positive answer...

@Victor G. @ego @Phoenikakias @Janni @Stelios

guys check it out!!!

Αγαπητή Διεύθυνση Περιβάλλοντος Ρόδου,

Σας γράφουμε εκ μέρους της ερασιτεχνικής Πρωτοβουλίας Ελλάδας για τη Καλλιέργεια Κοκοφοίνικα 

Επικοινωνούμε μαζί σας, καθώς ύστερα από συστηματική παρακολούθηση των κλιματικών δεδομένων της πόλης της Ρόδου, από τους μετεωρολογικούς σταθμούς τόσο του Εθνικού Αστεροσκοπείου Αθήνων όσο και του Δημοτικού Λιμενικού Ταμείου Νότιας Δωδεκανήσου, θεωρούμε οτι η πόλη της Ρόδου ειδικά στα χαμηλότερα υψόμετρα και παραλιακά είναι μια από τις πιο πλεονεκτικές τοποθεσίες στον Ελλαδικό χώρο για την επιτυχή δενδροφύτευση κοκοφοινίκων (Cocos Nucifera) .

Η ομάδα μας έχει εκπονήσει τον πρώτο οδηγό στα Ελληνικά για την καλλιέργεια κοκοφοινίκων προσαρμοσμένο στο κλίμα των Δωδεκανήσων τον οποίο μπορείτε να βρείτε παρακάτω. 

Όπως καταλαβαίνεται η δενδροφύτευση κοκοφοίνικα εκτός τροπικών κλιμάτων είναι μια πολύ ευαίσθητη διαδικασία και σήμερα δεν έχει υπάρξει καμία επιτυχημένη δενδροφύτευση του συγκεκριμένου φυτού επί Ευρωπαικού εδάφος με εξαίρεση την Πάφο της Κύπρου. 

Ύστερα από σοβαρή μελέτη όμως των κλιματικών δεδομένων της πόλης της Ρόδου σε αντιπαραβολή με αυτών της Πάφου και παρατηρώντας πως η πόλη της Ρόδου (ειδικά πέριξ του λιμανιού) έχει ηπιότερους χειμώνες από την Πάφο (πάνω από 2 βαθμούς κελσίου υψηλότερες μέσες ελάχιστες θερμοκρασίες χειμερινών μηνών) θα θέλαμε να θέσουμε υπόψιν σας την αρκετά μεγάλη πιθανότητα η πόλη της Ρόδου να γίνει η βορειότερη περιοχή στον πλανήτη που θα έχει καταφέρει επιτυχή δενδροφύτευση κοκοφοίνικα εκτός θερμοκηπίου σε περίπτωση που ο Δήμος σας αποφασίσει να προχωρήσει σε πιλωτική δενδροφύτευση των φυτών. 

Παρακάτω μπορείτε να βρείτε μερικά links όπου γίνονται εκτεταμένες συζητήσεις από ερασιτέχνες καλλιεργητές τροπικών φυτών από όλο τον κόσμο αλλά και την Ελλάδα αναφορικά με τις καλές πιθανότητες της πόλης της Ρόδου να καταφέρει επιτυχή καλλιέργεια κοκοφοινίκων. 

Θα θέλαμε να σας ενημερώσουμε, πως είμαστε διαθέσιμοι ώστε να παρέχουμε στον Δήμο σας οποιαδήποτε βοήθεια σε περίπτωση που αποφασίσετε πιλοτικά να δενδροφυτεύσετε μερικά δένδρα κοκοφοινίκων στη πόλη της Ρόδου. Μπορούμε φυσικά να δράσουμε επικουρικά και συμβουλευτικά στους γεωπόνους της υπηρεσίας σας εφόσον δείξετε σχετικό ενδιαφέρον.

Σας ευχαριστούμε πολύ για τον χρόνο σας και παραμένουμε στη διάθεση σας.

Με εκτίμηση,

Πρωτοβουλία Ελλάδας για τη Καλλιέργεια Κοκοφοίνικα
Edited by Manos33
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Extremely warm December so far for most Greece and especially in the South. Potentially record breaking

Areas in Crete and the Dodecanese have average max Ts at 20C so far in December! Impressive that we are talking about Xmas Eve

https://web.archive.org/web/20221224093322/http://penteli.meteo.gr/stations/kastellorizo/NOAAYR.TXT

https://web.archive.org/web/20221224092914/https://penteli.meteo.gr/stations/chaniacenter/NOAAYR.TXT

Edited by Manos33

Greece is on the verge of breaking multiple December records not only on a national but also on a European level. The widespread National Observatory of Athens Davis fan aspirated met stations Network speaks volumes...

Already we have areas in South Greece registering 20 days out of the 29 so far in December with maximums over 20C and average December maxes at 20C. That's a first in Europe for any reliable fan aspirated stations during December from a quick search I did.

We have areas again in the South of Greece with average minimum temperatures in December that are over 15C! Most notably in the Port of Rhodes, Lindos, Amorgos island and Kastelorizo. Kastelorizo island in fact has an average minimum temperature of 15.5C so far in December. Values unheard of by Europe's standards....

This will be by far the warmest December on record for Greece. Dating back at least from 1890 when we have reliable met observations for the country.

Edited by Manos33
  • Like 2

Most impressively average December temperatures are over 17C in Rhodes (both in the Port of Rhodes and Lindos) and up to 17.7C in Kastelorizo! I doubt we have ever seen something similar in Europe for December from fan aspirated stations...

Edited by Manos33
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The three warmest islands in Greece are Crete, Rhodes and Karpathos. Karpathos is the warmest with the temperatures never or extremely rare falling less than 3C/37.4 F. So in my opinion Karpathos and South Crete are the “safest” places you can try coconut

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Apostolos05 said:

The three warmest islands in Greece are Crete, Rhodes and Karpathos. Karpathos is the warmest with the temperatures never or extremely rare falling less than 3C/37.4 F. So in my opinion Karpathos and South Crete are the “safest” places you can try coconut

Hey welcome!

You are right! However Kasos according to the NOA station has the mildest winters. Even milder than Karpathos! Also the port of Rhodes according to the Davis station there seems to be extremely mild. So far in January the port of Rhodes has the mildest minimums in the country. Usually in cold or normal Januaries Kasos takes the lead but it appears than in hotter Januaries Crete and Rhodes take the lead!

5 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

Hey welcome!

You are right! However Kasos according to the NOA station has the mildest winters. Even milder than Karpathos! Also the port of Rhodes according to the Davis station there seems to be extremely mild. So far in January the port of Rhodes has the mildest minimums in the country. Usually in cold or normal Januaries Kasos takes the lead but it appears than in hotter Januaries Crete and Rhodes take the lead!

Thats very interesting! Those places can even considered 10b/11a which is crazy for Europe. I wish i had land on these islands so i could try planting palms

6 minutes ago, Apostolos05 said:

Thats very interesting! Those places can even considered 10b/11a which is crazy for Europe. I wish i had land on these islands so i could try planting palms

According to the National Observatory of Athens data for Kasos it is already a clear 11a by the USDA conventional method. By the method of Gouvas (as adjusted for Greece) Kasos is actually 11b!

Kasos has an average of absolute minimums that reads 6.4C the past 14 years!

Edited by Manos33

2 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

According to the National Observatory of Athens data for Kasos it is already a clear 11a by the USDA conventional method. By the method of Gouvas (as adjusted for Greece) Kasos is actually 11b!

Crazy!!! And not even one palm tree 😢

Just now, Apostolos05 said:

Crazy!!! And not even one palm tree 😢

Its a barren island unfortunately...The climate is semi-arid with only 270mm of rain annually... They would need constant irrigation to survive

4 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

Its a barren island unfortunately...The climate is semi-arid with only 270mm of rain annually... They would need constant irrigation to survive

Thats true. Fortunately lot of people experiementing at Crete and Rhodes. At rhodes you can find tons of archontophoenix and howea at the streets

Edited by Apostolos05
  • Upvote 2

On 1/9/2023 at 7:13 PM, Apostolos05 said:

Thats true. Fortunately lot of people experiementing at Crete and Rhodes. At rhodes you can find tons of archontophoenix and howea at the streets

Really? I was in Rhodes last easter but didn't see any! I just saw one very nice howea inside the old city, but no archontophoenix.

Mission failed, I need to visit again!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Guys take a look at Kasos NOA minimums!

From the start of the cold spell in Greece it is consistently registering the highest minimums in the country! 

Once again it confirms it's by far the area with the mildest winter minimums in the country!

• Upvote 1

4th day of the cold snap in Greece and Kasos yet again records the highest minimum T in the country...

• Like 1