IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Terracotta funk

JohnAndSancho

Most of my plants are in plastic pots, but I bought clay pots for my Lytos. They're indoors above the t.v. and under a grow light if that's relevant. But I keep getting what I'm assuming is white mold on the outside of the pots a few days after watering them. I've been wiping it off with disinfecting wipes a couple times a week, but how do I _prevent_ it? Google wasn't much help, other than the suggestion to seal the pots which kinda defeats the purpose of clay pots to begin with. 

10 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Most of my plants are in plastic pots, but I bought clay pots for my Lytos. They're indoors above the t.v. and under a grow light if that's relevant. But I keep getting what I'm assuming is white mold on the outside of the pots a few days after watering them. I've been wiping it off with disinfecting wipes a couple times a week, but how do I _prevent_ it? Google wasn't much help, other than the suggestion to seal the pots which kinda defeats the purpose of clay pots to begin with. 

Pretty sure that’s salt and excess fertilizer that come through the terra cota. Looks bad, but definitely helps to keep the plant inside it healthy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I agree with Teddytn.  Could be precipitation of solids via evaporation.  If you have particularly hard water the results will be quicker to develop and more intense.

• Upvote 3

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

We do have terribly hard water. I manage a hotel and the stains on the glass shower doors are a real mother to clean. I have a filter on my sink that gets most of it out but I guess not everything, and distilled water just got too expensive when I'm up to 35 or so plants in the apartment. 

Thanks y'all. 

If I'm in need of brewing water, I can go to my local grocer and get on-demand RO water for cheap.  Not sure if that's an option for you, but they sell the 5G jugs for even cheaper than the self-fill.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

8 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

If I'm in need of brewing water, I can go to my local grocer and get on-demand RO water for cheap.  Not sure if that's an option for you, but they sell the 5G jugs for even cheaper than the self-fill.

Not a bad idea but my plants seem really happy with the filtrred tap water. 

Look up 'efflorescence' if you have not already, there is a heap of 'how to get rid of it'  pages, but my take is that you can't.

Despite what some sites say about washing it off, once you wet it, some immediately is reabsorbed back into the clay, and as said earlier more dissolved salts will come out with the evaporating water anyway. And removing with a dry stiff brush doesn't usually get it all off either.

Ask me how I know, I learned to love the look.  :lol2:

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.