IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CIDP overpotted or not?

MSX

Hello Palmtalkers! This CIDP is my first palm grown in a container that will be a nice addition to a patio, with the option of moving it inside in the winter (7B/8A zone). I need your expertise in the following question - I got this CIDP a month ago in a 3 gallon (12 litres) nursery pot. The top diameter of the nursery pot was 28cm x 26cm height so the root ball is. The roots were growing out of the bottom of the pot and lifting the entire palm right out of the pot, so I repotted it in a new 17 gallon (65 litres) plastic pot. The new pot is 50cm wide and about 22cm (8.6 inches) larger across than the nursery pot and approximately 13cm (5 inches) deeper than the root ball of the palm. I drilled 9 draining holes at the bottom of the new big pot 1 inch wide each. Soil mixture - 3 parts of soil, 1 part organic matter (aged manure) and 1 part of river sand.

I followed the palm planting instruction from here (Wilson Bros Gardens. How To Plant A Palm In Container): "Choose a container that is large enough to allow for 2 to 3 years of growth before shifting up to a larger size container. This might mean your planting pot would be 6-8 inches or more in width than the root ball of your plant. ". That's what I did - my current pot is now 8-8.6 inches more in width than the root ball of my CIDP, however now I found out some other sites suggest the new pot should be 2-5 inches wider than the root ball to prevent root rot, etc. I'm confused now by this contradictory information and I don't know what to do now - should I leave it like this or should I repot it again in a smaller sized pot now? Thanks

DSCN7310.jpg

DSCN7311.jpg

DSCN7329.jpg

2.jpg

DSCN7331.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by MSX
  • Like 1

I would say yes, you've overpotted it. But as you've "the option of moving it inside in the winter (7B/8A zone)", it will probably handle it easily, those are tough palms. CIDP, when potted, usually tend to lift off the pot because of strong root growth towards the bottom of the pot and that pushs the palm tree up, it's a typical behavior. They like, and need, deep pots, wider and shalow ones should be avoid. Is it possible for you to get a narrowest and deepest pot than that one?

Edited by lzorrito
  • Like 1

Greetings, Luís

I usually agree with Luis and most people here will, but my experience if different. 

I think it will be fine. I have not had problems using big pots and all of my Date palms have had fairly aggressive roots. 

My bizzy was not bothered by it's big pot either.  But I grow all of my plants with the intention of eventually planting them in the ground.

324711685_da78(1).jpg.e6c029032d336d655ab35bc7d4bb91b6.jpg

four years later.

2101720681_da78(2).jpg.9e2378034c7e1ddf78477a5708d71571.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

12 hours ago, gtsteve said:

I usually agree with Luis and most people here will, but my experience if different. 

I think it will be fine. I have not had problems using big pots and all of my Date palms have had fairly aggressive roots. 

My bizzy was not bothered by it's big pot either.  But I grow all of my plants with the intention of eventually planting them in the ground.

Quite right, Steve, thanks for the compliment, but I think it is just a matter of semantics. Both our climates are totally different from his, and that does mean a lot when growing potted palms. I also never had issues with my potted Bizzies, until last winter, which was the most humid and coldest winter we had in fifteen years...Murphy's law. Despite that, never had any kind of issues with my potted Phoenix. According to MSX, his continental climate is rated 7B/8A zone, and based on that, I recommended other pot shape and depth, which may even have more volume capacity than the current one, aiming optimal growth conditions according to the specificities of the root system.

Btw, Steve, is that Bizzy of yours a Mayotte sps? It looks so green...

Greetings, Luís

19 hours ago, lzorrito said:

I would say yes, you've overpotted it. But as you've "the option of moving it inside in the winter (7B/8A zone)", it will probably handle it easily, those are tough palms. CIDP, when potted, usually tend to lift off the pot because of strong root growth towards the bottom of the pot and that pushs the palm tree up, it's a typical behavior. They like, and need, deep pots, wider and shalow ones should be avoid. Is it possible for you to get a narrowest and deepest pot than that one?

Luis, thanks a lot for your answer and your suggestion! Yes, this potted CIDP will be growing outside in a sunny location during the year, and will be moved inside when the temperature starts to drop below zero degrees Celsuis. It looks nice and brings some relaxing vibe both when outside or inside the house with the only thing that the pot is very heavy so I will need DIY some wedge with rollers to easily move it around by myself! I will look for a narrow and very deep pot as you suggested, but if I fail finding one at the local gardening stores (covid restrictions narrowed the choice of available options dramatically) do you suggest to leave this palm as it is in the current pot and see how it handles it, or repotting it in a similar traditionally shaped (wide & shallow) but smaller sized pot would be a more favorable option?

Edited by MSX
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, gtsteve said:

four years later.

Steve, thanks a lot for comment! Your potted bizzy looks great and the roots are healthy and nice! Well, I actually bought this CIDP with the intention to plant it in ground this year with some good active winter protection, however it was suggested to me to wait and leave it potted for the next couple/three years before planting it in the ground. I was told this CIDP is still quite young for overwintering in the ground even protected, I don't mind it at all to have it potted for now.

Edited by MSX
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, MSX said:

Luis, thanks a lot for your answer and your suggestion! Yes, this potted CIDP will be growing outside in a sunny location during the year, and will be moved inside when the temperature starts to drop below zero degrees Celsuis. It looks nice and brings some relaxing vibe both when outside or inside the house with the only thing that the pot is very heavy so I will need DIY some wedge with rollers to easily move it around by myself! I will look for a narrow and very deep pot as you suggested, but if I fail finding one at the local gardening stores (covid restrictions narrowed the choice of available options dramatically) do you suggest to leave this palm as it is in the current pot and see how it handles it, or repotting it in a similar traditionally shaped (wide & shallow) but smaller sized pot would be a more favorable option?

You're welcome! If you can't find a narrow and deeper pot, leave it in the current one, it's fine. If it's growing outside, in a sunny location, it will handle it easily. I was only referring to the pot shape and depth in order to comply with CIDP typical root growth. Now just take good care of it and enjoy its growth.

• Like 1

Greetings, Luís

8 hours ago, lzorrito said:

" is that Bizzy of yours a Mayotte sps? It looks so green..."

I don't think so Luis, I received it as a gift as a one strap leaf seedling from a former frequent poster, Mohsen.

I believe that he had the seeds given to him by another palmtalker from up in Queensland, i.e.  North East coast of Aust. and it usually did look more blue/silver.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

• 6 months later...

Phoenix canariensis are strong growers if happy.  I grew these two from seed and they are currently in 32 gallon, plastic garbage containers.

8E0EF67B-3DA6-4CC8-B230-65BC9A8AF82B.jpeg

5EE87B44-306E-4CE9-AD7A-C7617770F1B0.jpeg

Edited by oasis371
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MSX said:

6 months in an oversized pot and it seems like this aggressive CIDP needs a new one!

cidp6mo.jpg

cidp6mo1.jpg

IMG_20211105_172454.jpg

When it splits the bottom of the pot wide open, it says, "Time for a new one."

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

9 hours ago, MSX said:

6 months in an oversized pot and it seems like this aggressive CIDP needs a new one!

cidp6mo.jpg

cidp6mo1.jpg

IMG_20211105_172454.jpg

Wow....
Thats some nice growth!

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

The pot cracked completely, so I just decided to plant the palm in the ground instead of messing around with a new pot. It might be an inappropriate decision made at an inappropriate time, the official winter in a couple of weeks, and I'm in 8a, but at least I have for memory some pics of this nice phoenix.

IMG_20211106_124712.jpg

cidp6mo3.jpg

IMG_20211106_125802.jpg

IMG_20211106_130018.jpg

IMG_20211106_125833.jpg

IMG_20211106_130659.jpg

IMG_20211106_143703.jpg

• Like 3

It's small enough to protect. CIDPs want to be in the ground.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.