IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where Can I find 5-8ft tall Trachycarpus Fortunei in Texas

Collectorpalms

11 hours ago, Fusca said:

Ryan, I called 5 or 6 different Lowe's in my area and none of them had any.  One guy that I talked to told me that they had it in their system but didn't have any on hand.  He said that I'd have to special order one.  I'd think it could be special ordered from CS as well.

I have currently given up finding large palms for now...

I checked online Lowe’s it lists them as an In store purchase only so it doesn’t list availability. I usually go to brickseek.com and it will list all the Lowe’s inventory, that one is not listing them. But it did list the 6.5 gallon last year and those year by the item number. I have been wishy washy if I wanted to plant more mules. I have two 6.5 gallon not planted. And I have 4 I trunk cut this week to see if they are alive. It cooled down temperature wise, so I need to give them a couple more weeks minimum. No movement in three day’s.

Originally I swore off queens and mules, but I am itching to replant them if mine pull through the freeze. I kept queens alive almost every year, and cutting them down in the future I can do personally ( unlike a washintonia) Three out of the 4 Mules I have were protected best I could do. I would be disappointed if protecting them did zilch. But it was just too many cloudy below freezing days....
I really don’t think the next big freeze for CS will be as long. 2-3 days seems to be the max. Not 7, that was 100 year event.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

On 4/3/2021 at 7:06 AM, Collectorpalms said:

Really great you got three Sabals. Well worth the money.

I was scammed too many times on filifera that turned out to be Robusta that I won’t plant anymore unless I grow them. Those don’t look like the ones that were in the row of the Brazilian needle that I commented they COULD be Filifera???

the item number didn’t work for the Mule, are there anymore? I think they are just not in the system.

Edited by howfam
Responded to wrong post.

On 4/2/2021 at 1:22 PM, Keys6505 said:

And these are the Sabals I got for $400 from Flamingo (plus install).  The 2 on the ends.  The middle one was more but I don't remember how much.  The 2 Filifera were $240 each.  They were sold as pure Filifera and there's no red/brown on the petioles, spines get smaller closer to the leaf, etc so I'm hoping they're pure(ish).  Looks like they took the cold relatively well.

20210402_120529.jpg

20210402_120502.jpg

What Species of Sabals are those: Palmetto, Mexicana ?

4 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

Mexicana

It’s really too hard to tell despite what they are sold as. I’d wait two years before being somewhat certain. They all look a little different at this point. But for privacy Mexicana is gonna be better than Palmetto.

Someone is having luck at regenerating Sabals with small trunks. I would think Mexicana the success percentage would be higher.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

On 4/2/2021 at 4:22 AM, UK_Palms said:

My biggest Fortunei grew about 3-4 foot last year 

Forgive me for being a pessimist but wouldn't that make those habitat ones in China, thousands of years old?

4ft is one hell of a lot per year :floor: especially for the UK...

Edited by sipalms

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 2:52 AM, sipalms said:

Forgive me for being a pessimist but wouldn't that make those habitat ones in China, thousands of years old?

They grow well in cool climates.

Nothing to say here. 

On 4/5/2021 at 2:52 AM, sipalms said:

Fourtunei actually grow better further north.

Nothing to say here. 

On 4/2/2021 at 12:14 PM, Keys6505 said:

Here ya go.  It's not huge for a 13g, but for $159 I'm happy with it.

20210402_121217.jpg

20210402_121040.jpg

Nice palm, but how tall is it? At Lowe's they had 5ft ones for $90.

1 hour ago, Teegurr said:

Nice palm, but how tall is it? At Lowe's they had 5ft ones for $90.

Prob only 4' or so from the top of the dirt.  Ryan posted a photo of an 11gal (I think) the other day that he saw at lowes for $89 that looked to be about the same size.  I'm going to let this guy sit in the pot for a little longer, if I run across an $89 one and the size is close I'll swap them out.

• Like 1

Home Depot on Culebra Rd (San Antonio) has 5 gal Queens for $19...LOL ---$19!

I wonder if it's supply and demand?  I believe they were $69 in the RGV just after the freeze

On 4/15/2021 at 10:23 AM, PricklyPearSATC said:

Home Depot on Culebra Rd (San Antonio) has 5 gal Queens for $19...LOL ---$19!

I wonder if it's supply and demand?  I believe they were $69 in the RGV just after the freeze

$19 bucks. I am there! But I am sure they are gone. Never seen them that cheap. Only Majesty palms are regularly that price. 5 gallon at wally world is $50, H-E-B 3 gallon are 20 but not even pinnate yet.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1