IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Damage assessment after Texas freeze - need to find cold hardy palms

CiprianS

1 hour ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

Do you mean palmate versus costapalmate? 

Yes here is a good article:

http://w3.biosci.utexas.edu/prc/DigFlora/Waller/costapalmate.html

I will just reiterate, they look like something other than Sabal Mexicana. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

5 hours ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

Is this a Mexicana?   Curious if they set seed at this size. 
Could it be a brazoria?

That does not look like mexicana.  Here is my mexicana.  Also I doubt that mexicana set seed at that size.  You can see the size of the trunk and this is the first year that it's flowering.417666074_20201112_1136362.thumb.jpg.b30f3346ec27978fcb96db8b3f89e9bc.jpg

• Like 3

Outside of their property which I’m sure can be seen on Google street maps (I didn’t take any pics) they have 2 more larger palms with at least 6 feet trunk and that look like the palm in question but I’m not a expert on Sabal palm varieties. It’s very hard to tell in my eyes. 

Here is my brazoria..
You can see the old leaf bases on the lower left that are at a distance from  the current leaf bases.  Although there is a trunk, it is not as defined as a typical trunking palm. 

Inked184403835_307887144065469_6897576250897046327_n(1)_LI.jpg

Edited by PricklyPearSATC

15 hours ago, CiprianS said:

It has been a few weeks in which I hadn’t seen any growth on it so…that’s it in this case I guess. I will give it one or two more weeks and if nothing moves then it’s time for my shovel, my spade and the two axes to get to work and plant another one after. 

From my experience, cold-damage tissue exposed to air will get brown; healthy tissue will be white and will turn green after a while.  Center of your palm on the photo is brown. Sorry to say it, but chances of survival are very slim.

Edited by smatofu
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, smatofu said:

From my experience, cold-damage tissue exposed to air will get brown; healthy tissue will be white and will turn green after a while.  Center of your palm on the photo is brown. Sorry to say it, but chances of survival are very slim.

I second this.. I had five windmills that were planted last October and I have a thread on how that turned out.  They all looked ROUGH after the storm and I finally got the courage to trunk cut one (think I cut too far, which is why it died), but on the other four I cut slowly, like slowly, and all four are rocket ships right now with my largest one now over a foot of growth in a month.  Absolutely incredible.  Yours looks like the one that I did first where I cut it too far.

• Like 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

14 hours ago, Fusca said:

Hi Ciprian,

Great meeting you today!  I drove by this tree farm this afternoon but there was no way that I could see to get to it.  There was no feeder road going west from the exit just east of it and I don't think that the feeder road on the next exit past it is a 2-way road.  It appeared to be a private wholesale grower and likely does not sell to the general public unless they sell via Craigslist ads or something like that.  I only noticed one large date palm and several live oak and other hardwood trees but didn't see any Sabals.  Hope you get good germination from the Sabal mexicana seeds!

Jon,  the pleasure was all mine. :) Damn it with that nursery or whatever it is. Was it in the same location where @PricklyPearSATC pointed out?

Thank you again for the Sabal Mexicana seeds, I will let you know how they do, right now they are soaking in water. 

2 hours ago, smatofu said:

1 hour ago, tlow said:

I second this.. I had five windmills that were planted last October and I have a thread on how that turned out.  They all looked ROUGH after the storm and I finally got the courage to trunk cut one (think I cut too far, which is why it died), but on the other four I cut slowly, like slowly, and all four are rocket ships right now with my largest one now over a foot of growth in a month.  Absolutely incredible.  Yours looks like the one that I did first where I cut it too far.

Then that's it... another one or two weeks and I will take it out. This will be my eleventh out of fifteen palms that died after the winter storm. :( 

Edited by CiprianS

How long should I wait until I fertilize my Canaries? I was thinking to give them one or two weeks to get settled a little and after that to fertilize them. Any thoughts on my thinking? 

1 hour ago, CiprianS said:

How long should I wait until I fertilize my Canaries? I was thinking to give them one or two weeks to get settled a little and after that to fertilize them. Any thoughts on my thinking? 

I would give the palms more time to become established before you fertilize them.  I would give them at least 6 month.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

I would give the palms more time to become established before you fertilize them.  I would give them at least 6 month.

Isn’t that a lot of time?

11 hours ago, CiprianS said:

Isn’t that a lot of time?

No it's not a long time.  In fact I would just refrain from fertilizing the first year in the ground.  The palm has already been fertilized at the nursery.  Maybe someone else will say otherwise but I never fertilize that first year in the ground.  I just let them get established first.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CiprianS said:

You can always spread some cow manure from Home Depot or Lowes around the palm. It is a mild, nutrition rich, and slow-release fertilizer . 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smatofu said:

You can always spread some cow manure from Home Depot or Lowes around the palm. It is a mild, nutrition rich, and slow-release fertilizer . 

Manure works great, but the Austin sourced or hecho in Texas stuff should only be used on grass. I've destroyed gardens because of herbicide residue. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, amh said:

Manure works great, but the Austin sourced or hecho in Texas stuff should only be used on grass. I've destroyed gardens because of herbicide residue. 

You're right. 

What is the Austin sourced and hecho in Texas stuff?? 
Is there a brand for hecho in Texas???

Someone talked about a disaster after purchasing stuff from a reputable company here in San Antonio, but she refused to name names!  So, she left me totally lost as to who/what she had purchased. 

Hay fed manure contains a horrible herbicide that is safe for cattle and passes out in their poop

Is this herbicide also in brushy landfills too? 

We have San Antonio municipal brushy organics that are processed and sold by New Earth out in Seguin. 

New Earth also sells manure and biosolids.

Even tested Certified Composted is not tested for herbicides.  

Edited by PricklyPearSATC
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

You're right. 

Someone talked about a disaster after purchasing stuff from a reputable company here in San Antonio, but she refused to name names!  So, she left me totally lost as to who/what she had purchased. 

Hay fed manure contains a horrible herbicide that is safe for cattle and passes out in their poop

We have San Antonio municipal brushy organics that are processed and sold by New Earth out in Seguin. 

I cant remember the brands, but Heb sells the hecho en Texas stuff and home depot carries the Austin sourced brand. They might be from the same source. I raise chickens, so I currently use chicken manure only.

I've used free county mulch and boughten mulch with no trouble and I'm a big fan of the landscapers compost sold in the San Antonio area. Its made from treated sewage, but in reality, it is safe. I just wouldn't use it for greens.

Edited by amh
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

You're right. 

I dont think the brand was new earth.

On 5/11/2021 at 6:44 AM, Reyes Vargas said:

That does not look like mexicana.  Here is my mexicana.  Also I doubt that mexicana set seed at that size.  You can see the size of the trunk and this is the first year that it's flowering.417666074_20201112_1136362.thumb.jpg.b30f3346ec27978fcb96db8b3f89e9bc.jpg

Great looking Sabal!

• Like 1

For people in the Austin area still looking for Mule palms. The Lowe’s off Mopac and William Cannon/Oakdale had a few yesterday

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

For people in the Austin area still looking for Mule palms. The Lowe’s off Mopac and William Cannon/Oakdale had a few yesterday

Are they the 159.99 ones or 89 ones. They are the same size other than pot size. College Station got 3 more, and 2 sold. (The more $$ ones.)

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

20 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

@Meangreen94z  those $159 Mules look to be just about the same size as the $89 Mule I purchased.   Seems to be a price hike. 

Evidently they sold too fast. More than palm people were buying them. So Acosta raised price. The larger pot and soil cost no more than an extra $3, but the cost to us for a few more roots with tax is +$76.85.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Finally today I planted my last two Sabal Palmetto that I had to plant. I planted also the ones from Phil two days ago. I only have some small seedlings now in pots and also the two butia capitata that I still need to decide where to plant them. I think I am done for this season, unless one of my two Robusta is dead and I need to replace it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2021 at 7:20 PM, CiprianS said:

USPS messed it up for me... a seller from eBay sent me on Monday four Filifera Saplings and... I just got them today. Which is outrageous considering he sent them also with Priority mail and they came from Las Vegas, not from the north of US...

Below are the photos with how they looked when the seller sent the photos with them to me and how they looked today when I got them and also potted them. I don't know if they will survive or not, I hope they will.

EfIA0ea.jpg

uKH6utj.jpg

5DpsQlB.jpg

RHoggNx.jpg

7sjGsKn.jpg

Do you guys remember these Filifera (or at least I hope they are Filifera) that were messed up by USPS? Just look below at how they look today. :) 

tNpDv0J.jpg

yx1pcHO.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

Do you guys remember these Filifera (or at least I hope they are Filifera) that were messed up by USPS? Just look below at how they look today. :) 

Nice recovery!  They're tough little palms for sure!

Jon Sunder

56 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Nice recovery!  They're tough little palms for sure!

I just wish and hope they are Filifera as the eBay seller said they are. 

7 hours ago, CiprianS said:

tNpDv0J.jpg

yx1pcHO.jpg

ah man, I just realized a while ago you asked me to send you pictures of how mine looked.. They didn't do much for a little bit, and I thought three had perished, but man they are ALL growing, and sending up brand new spears.. I'm amazed at how well they have done.  I'll need to get new pictures, but yes, they are very tough and just wait until they start to take off..

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

Lowe's in Pasadena, TX still has five 14G Bismarckia Nobilis at $104. Unfortunately, they are kind of big for my car and the distance was kind of far away from my house to get one. I will be looking maybe the two Lowe's from my area will bring some if not, then next year. Until next year, I will also decide where I can plant one Bismarckia, too. Below is one photo with the nicest one of them, although all give were looking great. I think almost for the same size Caldwell Nurseries in Rosenberg, TX were asking $750 when I was there a few weeks ago which is OUTRAGEOUS. So, if you are in the Houston area and you want some Bismarckia go and get them before Palm Professionals will go and get them or some other ones and triple their prices. :)

8wsofJy.jpg

mk4tFbS.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CiprianS said:

Lowe's in Pasadena, TX still has five 14G Bismarckia Nobilis at $104. Unfortunately, they are kind of big for my car and the distance was kind of far away from my house to get one. I will be looking maybe the two Lowe's from my area will bring some if not, then next year. Until next year, I will also decide where I can plant one Bismarckia, too. Below is one photo with the nicest one of them, although all give were looking great. I think almost for the same size Caldwell Nurseries in Rosenberg, TX were asking $750 when I was there a few weeks ago which is OUTRAGEOUS. So, if you are in the Houston area and you want some Bismarckia go and get them before Palm Professionals will go and get them or some other ones and triple their prices. :)

Lowes in Webster (Baybrook) has 7g Bismarckia for $60-70 if I recall correctly. I was there 3 weeks (?) ago. I also went to Caldwell last week and saw the $700 Bismarckia LOOOL 

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

10 minutes ago, Xenon said:

Lowes in Webster (Baybrook) has 7g Bismarckia for $60-70 if I recall correctly. I was there 3 weeks (?) ago. I also went to Caldwell last week and saw the $700 Bismarckia LOOOL 

Check on brickseek.com at that Lowe’s if they still have them because lately they are selling them like crazy. And yes, a really LOL about Caldwell. :) 

Like many independent nurseries in the area, Caldwell's can be outrageous at times. Perhaps the people that drop $700 on a Bismarckia there help subsidize her operation which brings in lots of unusual plants, some of which are more reasonably priced. :) 

Got my Butia yatay from her a few years ago - can't remember the exact price, but it was very reasonable, like 45-65$ for a large plant in a 3 gallon pot. Good luck finding another B. yatay for sale in Houston.

17 hours ago, Xenon said:

How tall were the 7G ones? Because I still see them around.

1 minute ago, CiprianS said:

How tall were the 7G ones? Because I still see them around.

Do you know What is the item number to look it up in brickseek? 

1 minute ago, Collectorpalms said:

Do you know What is the item number to look it up in brickseek? 

Which one of them are you asking about? The 7G or the 14G one?

I see the item code in the picture for the larger one, so the smaller one.

i haven’t been to Houston since before the freeze. I’d probably buy too many plants.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Just now, Collectorpalms said:

I see the item code in the picture for the larger one, so the smaller one.

Model #348646 for the 7G

Model #467848 for the 14 G

Some stores even had the Model #467857 which is the 26 G one.

• Like 1

And, I did not know any model numbers, I just went on Lowes website and typed in then "Bismarckia" and after that blindly searched for the model codes in some zip codes close to me. :)

But I come back with my question, how big in height is the 7G one compared to the 14G? Is it half of its size?

3 hours ago, CiprianS said:

But I come back with my question, how big in height is the 7G one compared to the 14G? Is it half of its size?

2/3~ish of the size of the 14G you posted 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

So, I have a big dilemma. One of the two Sabals that I have dug out from the ground is dead. I need to replace it and guess what I was thinking at.... a Bismarckia. Perhaps tomorrow I will go to either Pasadena or Pearland for the 14G or the 7G Bismarckia. Now the question is, which one should I get? :) I have doubts that the 14G one will fit in my trunk but... I don't think it will die if I keep the leaves tied for one hour until I get home with it and I just fold the back seats and it will stay a little bit on the front center armrest I guess.