IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Flooding ?? Water tornado's ?

Exotic Life

After a very heat July the first 4 day's of august are very wet for here. Some parts of the netherlands have got 150 mm/5.90 Inch of rain, and that in 4 day's. Normally there fell in the hole month august 60 mm/2.36 inch of rain, so this gonna be a very wet month. I recorded in my own garden so far 97 mm/ 3.81 inch of rain.

Because the heat the ground is closed en hard, so the rain comes so much in a short period the rain can't directly go into the ground, you get little floodings on the streets gardens and houses. The picture's are from a part in the east of the netherlands.

Also the last few days there are some water tornado's, i don't know how you called them. Because the water is for here warm (24-25C/75-77F), but the air above the water is very cool ... So we get little tornado's...

Strange weather !! This weekend the sun is returning and the tempetures are rising again around the 25-27C/77-80F ...

post-171-1154719306_thumb.jpg

Southwest

And the water tornado ... I hate this rainy weather !! But this weekend is gonna be better :)

post-171-1154719953_thumb.jpg

Southwest

Exotisch

We call tornados over water "water spouts" in the USA. I have seen them in the Gulf many times from just off-shore to almost on the horizon.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

yep thos are waterspouts. I have seen them off the florida coast several times. Dont get to close to them.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

yep thos are waterspouts. I have seen them off the florida coast several times. Dont get to close to them.

(Palmy @ Aug. 09 2006,18:26)

That's very true.  Waterspouts can move on land and become tornados.  I was a bit too close to one that did that.

Exotic Life - that's a very impressive photo.  Did you take that?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Now, exactly how dangerous are those water spouts?  At 8 pounds/Gallon of water they must pack quite a punch to lift that volume of water.  In addition water moving at 150 miles per hour plus must be, well, a very bad thing...  Never seen one but in photos.  Has anyone seen one contact a solid surface ie. a boat, pier, land, oil platform?

Sorry about the rough summer in the Netherlands...  At least you have socialized health care, and that'll make it all better.  (that's a joke  by the way, we really need to reform our health care system here (USA) so its kind of a sarcastic statement)

Eric

Visalia, CA

Zone 9B

Hot Summers - Annual average 40+ days of 100+ degrees (no rain from April/May to October/November)

Freezes too - winter lows in high 20s

Oh yeah and Bad Air (inbetween cities with #1 and #2 ranked bad air in the nation - Fresno and Bakersfield)

WE NEED MORE TREES

^ Usually the waterspouts are weak and dont do much but if its with a large thunderhead then there may be a problem, nevertheless, a typical waterspout might have winds between 40mph and 70mph but remember the air is spinning therefore it can do a lot more damage. They usually dont harm huge ocean liners that ship, or so I have never heard of them.

I remember going from miami to keywest and you can see them far away and rather close, they said that the are common but we saw way to many.

A waterspout/weak tornado famously crossed downtown Miami a few years ago.  The video was spectacular, damage minor.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

(SunnyFl @ Aug. 09 2006,22:30)

(Palmy @ Aug. 09 2006,18:26)

That's very true.  Waterspouts can move on land and become tornados.  I was a bit too close to one that did that.

Exotic Life - that's a very impressive photo.  Did you take that?

Hi,

No i don't take photo ... somebody else that live's at the northcoast.

Southwest

The summer here is totally coverd in a rainy season, july was very hot but when 1 august came on the calender, the weather is totally change ... normally we don't have a big change like this ... A lot of places have this august so far get more then 200 mm/7.87 inches of rain, normally the rainfall for the hole month august is 60 mm/ 2.36 inches. Most of the time ther is sun and in the afternoon ther came clouds that give us rain in a very short time, so the streets etc are flooding. Sometimes it's very local ... And there are more waterspouts because the warm sea water. Let's come the sun and heat back ?

RIET2.jpg

Christian2.jpg

2Enschede05.jpg

2Bornerbroek1.jpg

Southwest