IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

BUTIA X JUBAEA X QUEEN in the Pacific Northwest

Love them palms

So this last winter I let one of my Butia x Jubaea x Queen out for a winter test here in Mukilteo Washington Z8B. Well its good to know it took snow, a few nights  of  20s F cold.and rain with no protection. Good to know this one is a great candidate for this area. Pic 3 is today. Took Pacific Northwest lickin and is still tickin

FB_IMG_1616890548784.jpg

FB_IMG_1616890529075.jpg

FB_IMG_1616890914859.jpg

Edited by Love them palms
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 3

Gosh that’s a good looking palm. I have two of the same hybrid but yours has a nice blend of traits

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Love them palms Awesome looking hybrid !!! What other jewels you got there ? 

T J 

I have plenty of hybrids- Jubaea x Queen, Jubaea x Butia yatay. BJ x Jubaea, Jubaea x BJ,  Jubaea x Butia  and regular ,Jubaea. Butia , T fortunei, T nova, sago , Sabal Palmetto, Sabal Riverside,Sabal minor. So I have plenty going on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Love them palms said:

I have plenty of hybrids- Jubaea x Queen, Jubaea x Butia yatay. BJ x Jubaea, Jubaea x BJ,  Jubaea x Butia  and regular ,Jubaea. Butia , T fortunei, T nova, sago , Sabal Palmetto, Sabal Riverside,Sabal minor. So I have plenty going on.

pics please haha :beat_deadhorse:

• Upvote 1

T J 

33 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

pics please haha :beat_deadhorse:

I will as soon as our bad weather gets out of the way. Next weekend is supposed to be nice.have lots to show 

40 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

I will as soon as our bad weather gets out of the way. Next weekend is supposed to be nice.have lots to show 

Good deal tag me please =) 

• Upvote 1

T J 

Wow! Love how long the leaflets are, an amazing looking palm all around.

• Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

On 3/28/2021 at 10:40 AM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Love them palms Awesome looking hybrid !!! What other jewels you got there ? 

T J 

@OC2Texaspalmlvr  here are some more of my PNW palms. Have plenty of Jubaea, Jubaea crosses,sagos, parajubea wind mills ,med fan palms,threw in a Banana shots, 

20210329_171252.jpg

20210329_171332.jpg

20210329_171214.jpg

20210329_171205.jpg

20210329_171057.jpg

20210329_171116.jpg

20210329_171124.jpg

20210329_171143.jpg

20210329_171033.jpg

20210329_171021.jpg

20210329_171002.jpg

20210329_170952.jpg

20210329_170823.jpg

20210329_170841.jpg

20210329_170858.jpg

20210329_170933.jpg

20210329_170753.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Wow what a collection !!! Thanks for the pics im sure others will appreciate them too. 2 questions what is the palm in the first pic ? 2nd the Grove of palms which is facing the street is mostly comprised of ? They seem awfully close together if there any of the hybrids you have mentioned ? 

Thanks T J 

T J 

5 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Wow what a collection !!! Thanks for the pics im sure others will appreciate them too. 2 questions what is the palm in the first pic ? 2nd the Grove of palms which is facing the street is mostly comprised of ? They seem awfully close together if there any of the hybrids you have mentioned ? 

Thanks T J 

The first pic is a chamaedorea radicalis trunk version and the pic facing the street has Jubaea, T. Fortunei, BJX Jubaea, Yucca,Cordyline Australia.

Yeah alot of the trees are close together but its the jungle look but its put together in a way that you would have to see in person to understand the way it was planted.the guy who put it together has been designing palm scapes for a long time

Hey there, garden is looking great. You can bet that some neighbors will cheer you on with the growth over the years! 

I have to agree that planting that close with trachy is an art form. You have to make sure when they get bigger you keep them limb up so your mule palms get enough sunlight. 

I've done this many time with my garden... heavy canopy over plants. It does make a nice shade jungle but you won't be able to walk through the planting once there bigger. 

Here example of my yard with overhead protection, along with a bonus pic. lol. This style has worked for me for the last 30 years. DSC_0004.thumb.JPG.2a0c88b8e08e3f45a5855a7a6334fb5d.JPG.f0812f14e6a1f1c6172ea91ec76f2c8c.JPG

DSC_0020.thumb.JPG.9ecc4d43b4a2155a333485f8fbf71268.JPG

DSC_0061 copy.jpg

DSC_0064.thumb.JPG.071e9dc5bb41a8bfaa5ce0ee72745d17.JPG

DSC_0062.thumb.JPG.71a1382d752ad68719853462653970de.JPG

DSC_0209.JPG

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 8

• 9 months later...
On 3/27/2021 at 8:32 PM, Love them palms said:

So this last winter I let one of my Butia x Jubaea x Queen out for a winter test here in Mukilteo Washington Z8B. Well its good to know it took snow, a few nights  of  20s F cold.and rain with no protection. Good to know this one is a great candidate for this area. Pic 3 is today. Took Pacific Northwest lickin and is still tickin

FB_IMG_1616890548784.jpg

FB_IMG_1616890529075.jpg

FB_IMG_1616890914859.jpg

Where did you purchase this hybrid? I’d love to try one

@knikfar   This is the so called 'supermule'  which you can also get at Moutrie palms (Florida, mail order) or Wanderlust palm nursery in the Seattle area; Patrick (here on palmtalk) also has them at times. 

@Love them palms-- how's your hybrid palm doing so far this winter?  Any updated pics?  Bet it's a bit larger now!   :rolleyes:

Edited by MarkbVet
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

@knikfar   This is the so called 'supermule'  which you can also get at Moutrie palms (Florida, mail order) or Wanderlust palm nursery in the Seattle area; Patrick (here on palmtalk) also has them at times. 

@Love them palms-- how's your hybrid palm doing so far this winter?  Any updated pics?  Bet it's a bit larger now!   :rolleyes:

this year wasn't as good to them. got a little burn from the 5 day artic blast.lowest temps got down to 13F, possibly a we bit colder from the looks of my Jubaea which got some burn too. here's the 2 BxJxQ. they were protected with frost cloth and received some frost burn. looks like they will be ok .3rd one is a Jubaea x Queen that I covered too but it did not get any damage

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

this year wasn't as good to them. got a little burn from the 5 day artic blast.lowest temps got down to 13F, possibly a we bit colder from the looks of my Jubaea which got some burn too. here's the 2 BxJxQ. they were protected with frost cloth and received some frost burn. looks like they will be ok .3rd one is a Jubaea x Queen that I covered too but it did not get any damage

Hmmmm nice to know they lived...though they did require some protection (no heat at least).   Sounds like the JxS  did better than the supermules, interesting to know... though maybe something about how it was situated or protected helped it?  I'm saying that because JxS should not have been more hardy than pure Jubaea, and yet it fared better...  that's unexpected.   Thanks for the info and pics!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

I have Patrick’s 3 way also but it’s a little different than the super, it’s B/J (f1 I beleive) x Q. As compared to the J/B F3 x Q super mule. And mule palms of Mississippi also B/JxQ like the original post pics not sure F1,2,3 at MPOM. Be very interesting to watch these grow together. I’d like to find a J/B F1 x Q. That would also be pretty one. Has a Jubaea x Santa Catarina Queen ever existed? Daydreaming over here! 

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

I have Patrick’s 3 way also but it’s a little different, it’s B/J (f1 I beleive) x Q. As compared to the J/B F3 x Q super mule. Be very interesting to watch these grow together. I’d like to find a J/B F1 x Q. That would also be pretty one. Has a Jubaea x Santa Catarina Queen ever existed? Daydreaming over here! 

The supermules are BxJ F3,  not JxB.   If your Patrick palm maybe is a JxB, that would certainly make it look different?   Of course, even if both palms were BxJ xQ,   there could be genetic variation (especially with a triple hybrid) and especially when comparing single plants from each source.  Comparing 100 plants from each source may give us a better idea of whether they're truly offering different looking palms, or do they all blend together in a gradient of variability?  Good project for you to undertake hehehe!     No, I'm not aware of a J x Santa Catarina queen...  we all hope it may be more hardy.  I think both Patrick and Matt have done J x Q though, just not that variety of Queen (that I know of).

Edited by MarkbVet
  • Like 1

Hmmmmm, In our previous discussions we were all referring to as J/B F3 x Q…. I thought we’d established that Richard and Frank both operated off of a palm that was bred by Merrill and thought to be pure Jubaea at first but later determined to be a hybrid jxb (Fairchild gardens?) and 2 gens later they had their j/b f3 that they are still using. Uh oh here we go again! :) Patrick was very specific of B/Jx Q as “butia was the original mother not jubaea”. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkbVet said:

Hmmmm nice to know they lived...though they did require some protection (no heat at least).   Sounds like the JxS  did better than the supermules, interesting to know... though maybe something about how it was situated or protected helped it?  I'm saying that because JxS should not have been more hardy than pure Jubaea, and yet it fared better...  that's unexpected.   Thanks for the info and pics!

I think the difference was the Jubaea was never covered. the Jubaea x Queen was but would of probably burned if it wasn't but I covered it due to the fact it was planted last summer. the Jubaea as you can see suffered some burn.the artic blast we had was one of those 10 year events that I hope doesn't return for a long time so my stuff can get very established. Jubaea in video 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Hmmmmm, In our previous discussions we were all referring to as J/B F3 x Q…. I thought we’d established that Richard and Frank both operated off of a palm that was bred by Merrill and thought to be pure Jubaea at first but later determined to be a hybrid jxb (Fairchild gardens?) and 2 gens later they had their j/b f3 that they are still using. Uh oh here we go again! :) Patrick was very specific of B/Jx Q as “butia was the original mother not jubaea”. 

In our prior discussions,  it was determined (based on what Frank at Wanderlust said) that the hybrid for both Moultrie and Wanderlust was (BxJ) F3,  X Syagrus.   I don't recall anyone calling it JxB.   Here's the quote from Frank: 

From what I know of these trees the mother plant would be a third generation hybrid. The original cross would be F1, the second generation would be F2, third generation F3, making the cross with the queen palm the fourth generation. The best way to write the hybrid out would be (Butia odorata x Jubaea chilensis)F3 x Syagrus romanzoffiana.

Edited by MarkbVet
  • Like 1

I labeled my supers and schizo, Jubutia F3 x Q and x schizo…. Hope I didn’t screw that up cuz I ordered custom labels. Currently on Richard fb also… he says Jubutia F3 super mules. And Jubutia f3 x schizo 2B2589D0-4C76-4AFA-B42D-0F67117F5FC9.thumb.png.386c803636d1f671edde402247bd9d6e.png

FA8A09C4-2E21-4EDF-BFF3-9F9A744CF987.png

BBC080CE-6DDE-4577-A11D-6B7F8FC9FCF7.png

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

In our prior discussions,  it was determined (based on what Frank at Wanderlust said) that the hybrid for both Moultrie and Wanderlust was (BxJ) F3,  X Syagrus.   Here's the quote from Frank: 

From what I know of these trees the mother plant would be a third generation hybrid. The original cross would be F1, the second generation would be F2, third generation F3, making the cross with the queen palm the fourth generation. The best way to write the hybrid out would be (Butia odorata x Jubaea chilensis)F3 x Syagrus romanzoffiana.

You must mean Matt. I suppose labeled Either way is fine with me… at this point. Sheesh 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NWpalms@206 said:

You must mean Matt. I suppose labeled Either way is fine with me… at this point. Sheesh 

Yes Matt darnit!   lol

4 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

Yes Matt darnit!   lol

All good, I’m trying to keep track of everyone’s names and all the hybrids too. It’s tough! I just want to try and attain and pass along correct information. After seeing Richards posts I don’t feel so bad about the custom jubutia f3 x labels!

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Unfortunately (and part of the confusion I think) is that the BxJ hybrid often gets called Jubutia just like the JxB hybrid ( because the name is cool and convenient, which is not the case when trying to make another easy name for the JxB hybrid).   Just my take on it.   Your labels are therefore fine either way lol.  

Edited by MarkbVet

11 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

I labeled my supers and schizo, Jubutia F3 x Q and x schizo…. Hope I didn’t screw that up cuz I ordered custom labels. Currently on Richard fb also… he says Jubutia F3 super mules. And Jubutia f3 x schizo 2B2589D0-4C76-4AFA-B42D-0F67117F5FC9.thumb.png.386c803636d1f671edde402247bd9d6e.png

FA8A09C4-2E21-4EDF-BFF3-9F9A744CF987.png

BBC080CE-6DDE-4577-A11D-6B7F8FC9FCF7.png

Richard mentioned something to me about  crossing his Jubutia x Jubaea  with  Queen while we were texting about me getting more trees. it would be awesome if he actually did it.119994088_Screenshot_20220122-125813_Message.thumb.jpg.d2b5d15ecc867483df9ca23a9394b726.jpg

1 minute ago, MarkbVet said:

Unfortunately (and part of the confusion I think) is that the BxJ hybrid often gets called Jubutia just like the JxB hybrid ( because the name is cool and convenient, which is not the case with trying to make a name for the JxB hybrid).   Just my take on it.   Your labels are therefore fine either way lol.  

Exactly. Another B/j x q of Patricks in the mail also right now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

Richard mentioned something to me about  crossing his Jubutia x Jubaea  with  Queen while we were texting about me getting more trees. it would be awesome if he actually did it.119994088_Screenshot_20220122-125813_Message.thumb.jpg.d2b5d15ecc867483df9ca23a9394b726.jpg

Oooh sign me up!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

So that's a (BxJ) xJ xQ?   wow. 

Well, looks  his “jubutia f3” (whatever it really is)x jubaea x Q. Love the palms had the conversation with him maybe can clarify. But I’m definitely interested. 

59 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

Maybe you could txt Richard and ask if his Jubutia F3 is B/J or J/B original mother. That topic keeps coming up. It’s a bit confusing being listed as B/J but also called jubutia. could help clear that up for all! 

31 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

So that's a (BxJ) xJ xQ?   wow. 

This might be the real Super Mule! Or jubaea x Butia E. x Santa Catarina Queen, if that cross is possible it would probably take the cake. 

Edited by NWpalms@206

19 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Maybe you could txt Richard and ask if his Jubutia F3 is B/J or J/B original mother. That topic keeps coming up. It’s a bit confusing being listed as B/J but also called jubutia. could help clear that up for all! 

I thought we kinda beat that horse dead in the other thread :beat_deadhorse:

But yes, according to Rich the Jubaea in the Jubutia F3 is on the mother's side....

He did a cross and put Jubaea pollen onto one of the Jubutia F3 bracts a couple years ago and that's the pictures that are shown in that message above.  I have seen them in person and they are beautiful trees.  He sold one or two, but yes, some day I believe he hopes to backcross Syagrus to these once mature.

If he could get more Jubaea pollen he'd do this cross again.

• Like 1

Here's my Jubutia F3 that I got from Rich.  She'll be going in the ground this spring...still a few years from flowering for sure B)

PXL_20220122_223509713.thumb.jpg.cca88585b533a56dd07d10b1e023bcd5.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Well, looks  his “jubutia f3” (whatever it really is)x jubaea x Q. Love the palms had the conversation with him maybe can clarify. But I’m definitely interested. 

I'd take a straight JxQ also, it's on my wish list.   :-)   I'm confused; are u saying rich's is jubutia f3, then crossed again with jubaea before the queen cross (5th generation)?

Edited by MarkbVet

14 minutes ago, Scott W said:

Here's my Jubutia F3 that I got from Rich.  She'll be going in the ground this spring...still a few years from flowering for sure B)

PXL_20220122_223509713.thumb.jpg.cca88585b533a56dd07d10b1e023bcd5.jpg

That’s cool, just straight up jubutia f3 not crossed? And yes we definitely did, although Rich himself wasn’t a part of that conversation his direct answer would be nice to hear. The only reason i asked because I ordered custom labels, if it’s B/J F3 I’d use the label bujubia f3, because my JxB are labeled jubutia. But not to regress. What i took away from the other thread was J/B f3. Perhaps I was mistaken. All good either way. Our place will be on the garden tour and I may get questioned! Just Want to know my stuff :)