IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show us your Majesty palms!!

ruskinPalms

Probably. I don't use Jobes or Superthrive so can't comment. I've heard good things about Carl Pool but it is not sold here. You should check out some of Southern Ag's products like minor elements in liquid or granular form, iron in liquid form. Yellow leaves may mean lack of adequate iron. Maybe you need to fertilize more often. This is a very needy, greedy palm.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

39 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Probably. I don't use Jobes or Superthrive so can't comment. I've heard good things about Carl Pool but it is not sold here. You should check out some of Southern Ag's products like minor elements in liquid or granular form, iron in liquid form. Yellow leaves may mean lack of adequate iron. Maybe you need to fertilize more often. This is a very needy, greedy palm.

Good to know. Thanks for your input. Looking forward to more of your jungle pics too :shaka-2:

Here’s some more of mine in the rainforest creek bed area. These are wet from winter to early summer in here. All my Ravenea rivularis came from the same seed batch but the ones in full sun grew way quicker. Still I don’t mind the slower growth under canopy in the damp rainforest area.

96171ACE-C4BE-4AFD-A207-9117077F95AD.jpeg

BEECD88E-457E-4701-AAB6-BB88839E989D.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

8 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Lack of iron would generally cause yellowing only on the newest emerging leaves whereas the remaining plant would be green. The yellowing could be a potassium/micronute deficiency. They are for sure heavy feeders. @JohnAndSancho you might try and hit it with spent coffee grounds, and/or some coffee to see if that helps at all. Sounds crazy but coffee grounds and coffee are super high in N and help my rivularis green up well.

From my experience if you grow these in sandy soils especially high pH ones, they can be very difficult to green up especially on their lower older leaves due to magnesium deficiency. Giving them Epsom salts regularly helps break them out of it. I reckon the rivers they grow along must be very high in magnesium or something. However they also needs lots of nitrogen and iron, and on high pH sands may also need a bit more potassium than usual to stop the leaflets tips drying out in hot dry weather.

If you are on heavier soils like clay or peat, they dont exhibit as much nutrient issues probably because the cation exchange capacity of heavier soils is greater and they hang on to nutrients much better. However they will never object to luxury amounts of nutrients and moisture, even on clay.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Here’s my two coming out of the winter. Probably time for some fertilizer to green them up for the summer. 

A691952B-5F85-4AAF-9071-8EF8291E5CED.jpeg

0960652E-8154-444A-A26B-0D977A68E14E.jpeg

C155688C-E614-4BF9-810D-7E7D25AE9F32.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Estlander said:

Here’s my two coming out of the winter. Probably time for some fertilizer to green them up for the summer. 

A691952B-5F85-4AAF-9071-8EF8291E5CED.jpeg

0960652E-8154-444A-A26B-0D977A68E14E.jpeg

C155688C-E614-4BF9-810D-7E7D25AE9F32.jpeg

They still look pretty healthy from the pics. You’re in zone 9a? Have these seen some cold?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

They still look pretty healthy from the pics. You’re in zone 9a? Have these seen some cold?

Zone 9A, yes! They've been in the ground for nearly 4 years now and just finished their 4th winter. The last 3 winters have been 10A here, so no damage of any kind obviously. They did defoliate in January 2018 after a night of 23F with only the lower half of the spears staying green (no spear pull) , and quickly recovered.

50 minutes ago, Estlander said:

Zone 9A, yes! They've been in the ground for nearly 4 years now and just finished their 4th winter. The last 3 winters have been 10A here, so no damage of any kind obviously. They did defoliate in January 2018 after a night of 23F with only the lower half of the spears staying green (no spear pull) , and quickly recovered.

Wow they really do have extreme spear hardiness. They leafed out again that summer?

5 minutes ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

Wow they really do have extreme spear hardiness. They leafed out again that summer?

Yes, they completely grew out of it with one summer. Here's one of them in August 2018 after having been completely defoliated in January 2018.

Photo Jan 29, 7 06 01 PM.jpg

Photo Jan 29, 7 07 14 PM.jpg

Edited by Estlander
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Estlander said:

Yes, they completely grew out of it with one summer. Here's one of them in August 2018 after having been completely defoliated in January 2018.

Photo Jan 29, 7 06 01 PM.jpg

Photo Jan 29, 7 07 14 PM.jpg

Fresh start, haha. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Here’s a shade grown one in my neighborhood. The dark green fronds remind me a lot of a Satakentia.

4853AFB7-45CC-4791-85BC-DB35C2EF0848.thumb.jpeg.5152b00418c6f6620647d5e72e0e26d7.jpeg

• Like 8

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

6 minutes ago, BayAndroid said:

I always thought these weren't very hardy, because they sell these indoors at HD etc. Maybe I should get one.... 

There's a couple around San Jose that have been growing for several years.. Unfortunately, they're sited wrong, and treated badly so they don't serve as good examples.

As long as you give 'em what they want, should have no problems growing there. Next to your pond would be perfect.

Then again?, lol..  Appears this particular specimen in my old neighborhood has been treated better lately..  Yea it could be fuller, and greener.. but not gonna be too critical on it's appearence since i was never sure it would've made it this long ( Bad placement / didn't seem to get much attention / water )

Take in May of this year.  Has been there since -at least- 2011, when i first noticed it ( much smaller, probably picked up at the HD further up the road... or maybe at the nursery where i used to work ).

DSC00014.JPG.thumb.jpg.f1971631a58c4989426d7f337f90309b.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

There's a couple around San Jose that have been growing for several years.. Unfortunately, they're sited wrong, and treated badly so they don't serve as good examples.

As long as you give 'em what they want, should have no problems growing there. Next to your pond would be perfect.

Then again?, lol..  Appears this particular specimen in my old neighborhood has been treated better lately..  Yea it could be fuller, and greener.. but not gonna be too critical on it's appearence since i was never sure it would've made it this long ( Bad placement / didn't seem to get much attention / water )

Take in May of this year.  Has been there since -at least- 2011, when i first noticed it ( much smaller, probably picked up at the HD further up the road... or maybe at the nursery where i used to work ).

** Forgot to add, there is another specimen by the drive-thru here but no recent picture. ( picture of it on Street view is from March, 2019, maybe after a frost?.. Looks a little beat up )

3 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

The fact that this one is part of a McDonald's landscape, doesn't surprise me that it isn't looking it's best. They could give it more water and I'm sure it would look quite a bit better. I haven't seen many local examples of this palm, so thanks for sharing this. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BayAndroid said:

The fact that this one is part of a McDonald's landscape, doesn't surprise me that it isn't looking it's best. They could give it more water and I'm sure it would look quite a bit better. I haven't seen many local examples of this palm, so thanks for sharing this. 

Agree completely.. Being planted where it is was the main reason i'd check in on that specimen when i'd grab my morning caffeine fix on the way to work.. Glad it is looking better than i thought it would at this point.   Agree that as a whole, not near enough local specimens to compare to.. Hopefully that changes soon. 

If i were still there, i'd be planting 3 at my grandparent's house in a lower area where rainfall / excess irrigation runoff is funneled between their house / neighbor's house, out toward the street. Been itching to yank out the overgrown, Agapanthus taking up that space for years anyway, haha

There is a church a couple miles away from this specimen that had a couple planted for several years that looked ok.. Were apparently ax-ed when the property was remodeled.. Looks like someone planted two new ones < 3gal > ( on street view ) but they look awful.. Crispy, hungry, stunted, and probably thirsty.. We'll see what happens w/ those..  Going to keep looking for others.

• Like 1

WELP. Groot Sr. is long dead, and I guess about 2 weeks ago we had a night time low temp of 39 and the combination of me working constantly, depression, general apathy and whatever Groot Jr. is still inside. Anyway here he is, with his crooked under potted ass. 

IMG_20221130_191453.jpg

• Like 2

This one has been in the ground for ten years now. It was trasplanted to its new place in summer last year, and though it suffered a bit, it has set three new leaves this summer, so that means it is recovering. It has got about a meter of clear trunk. It also suffers from high winds, specially in winter. I think I should feed it better, some potassium maybe, Right?

IMG_20220816_101521.jpg.13fe09e3e416bd2c0416b6510cf322b5.jpg

• Upvote 1

Screenshot_20221202-165223_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3ebf25c8c323f0fc0f049f8df1738244.jpg

I hope my ravenea (photo above) one day will have the look of the one I saw at Valencia Zoo in Spain (photo below).

20220423_132300.thumb.jpg.d957566e2c789345684cb500a9a8bb26.jpg

20220423_132231.thumb.jpg.5ed1c4fed15caf0fa7a93d0f64067dbf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here's mine growing in Mesa, Arizona. I originally planted it from a 2 gallon HD special. It was planted between 2 houses for protection from our summer sun,and has been in the ground for several years.

aztropic 

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20221226_124344837_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221226_124319013_HDR.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Heres mine as of a couple days ago. 19F with no protection, likely dead. It was a beautiful palm before the freeze though. I wish i had a picture from before the freeze. 

IMG_20221227_145506549_HDR.jpg.77c5192c8bd9ff6da72e3d4fd209633a.jpg

• Like 2

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

I found one! This was from October 8, 2022.

IMG_20221008_124819382.jpg

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

19 minutes ago, JLM said:

Heres mine as of a couple days ago. 19F with no protection, likely dead. It was a beautiful palm before the freeze though. I wish i had a picture from before the freeze. 

IMG_20221227_145506549_HDR.jpg.77c5192c8bd9ff6da72e3d4fd209633a.jpg

Fingers crossed, let us know what happens. It would be good to document the outcome in the Freeze Damage section either way.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Literally,a million of these ' annuals' will be shipped across the country, out from Florida, over the next month or two to big boxes and Walmarts in 2 gallon pots at the $20 price range. If you haven't replaced yours yet with a fresh beauty at least twice,you're not trying... :P A $20 price point for this size palm is a giveaway,and unachievable by any local nursery or backyard grower. These are grown by corporations by the hundreds of thousands, and you can enjoy their bounty for literally pennies on the dollar! If you live in a marginal climate,consider ground planting it still in it's pot,so you could bring it in if a killing freeze is ever forecasted.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

29 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Literally,a million of these ' annuals' will be shipped across the country, out from Florida, over the next month or two to big boxes and Walmarts in 2 gallon pots at the $20 price range. If you haven't replaced yours yet with a fresh beauty at least twice,you're not trying... :P A $20 price point for this size palm is a giveaway,and unachievable by any local nursery or backyard grower. These are grown by corporations by the hundreds of thousands, and you can enjoy their bounty for literally pennies on the dollar! If you live in a marginal climate,consider ground planting it still in it's pot,so you could bring it in if a killing freeze is ever forecasted.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Mine survived 22F last winter without protection, so i just left it to see what would happen. If this thing survives 19F (i doubt it), its definitely a keeper lol

• Like 1

Well. Since this popped back up here is an update. Leaflets are a little fried from the hurricanes this year but otherwise really off to the races adding trunk. 

F659EAB3-EF68-4195-9EDF-95E84B84FDD5.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 5

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

25 minutes ago, ruskinPalms said:

Well. Since this popped back up here is an update. Leaflets are a little fried from the hurricanes this year but otherwise really off to the races adding trunk. 

That one is hitting its prime!   Looking great.  Speedy devils, they are.  

• Like 2

A little overcast today, but here is mine; was actually a double (2 plants in one pot) when I got it years ago and eventually I cut one of them out after it had gotten well overhead. 

IMG_3479.thumb.jpeg.0cacd223a3e280e6c473bc74bbf05363.jpeg

IMG_3480.thumb.jpeg.69d4acef38563b2c56d4d52540162665.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Yeah. Mine had 4 plants in one pot for like 10 dollars. I cut out the 3 smaller ones after being in the ground for a year or so 

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I admire these ones off SR 415 (Sanford, FL mailing address) near my house every time I drive by. I believe when I first noticed them, you couldn’t see trunk above the brick wall. 

87BA6C38-3DF8-4152-999B-9DAED937B4B2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ruskinPalms said:

That's a champion!

I have 2 that are grown in full sun. They're a bit short and stubby. But this is the Orlando IKEA one that has grown so well. 

20221116_194734.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, ruskinPalms said:

That seems to have an exceptionally thick trunk, at least in comparison to others in this thread.