IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Since I never know what order my pics are gonna post in, here's some new growth photos with tags. 

Big Cat Garfield pushing 3 new leaves like the champ he is. 

Please shame me for not splitting up the C. Elegans yet because some of them are getting fat. 

Time to celebrate by buying some C. Benzeii and more Howeas while Jungle Music has them on sale. 

Message_1616549096375.jpg

Message_1616549166053.jpg

Message_1616549211698.jpg

Message_1616549278887.jpg

Message_1616468283752.jpg

Edited by JohnAndSancho
Edited
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

I lied. Big Cat Garfield is actually pushing 5 new leaves. Just saw 2 more little ones at the bottom. 

• 1 month later...

New leaves opening on my new Kentia clump, my "bigger" L. Weddellanium, and a tall leaf opening on my tall C. Cataractarum. 

Message_1620085376448.jpg

Message_1620085105511.jpg

Message_1620085135818.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Big Cataractatum won't stop growing

Bigger L Weddellaniun has gotten more biggerer

Solo Kentia throwing new leafelets on an existing, growing leaf plus a new spear 

Lady Palm is steady despite almost total neglect. Lots of big roots showing. 

C. Elegans survirors growing taller after their split-up now that there aren't 40 in a 7" pot. 

New Kentia clump still looks good. 

Dracaenaas are still ok despite me having entirely too many adult substances and crashing into them trying to turn off a lamp. They haven't moved much but they ain't dead. RIP to my Ti Plant. 

Pics tomorrow if anyone asks. 

On 5/15/2021 at 11:16 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

Big Cataractatum won't stop growing

Bigger L Weddellaniun has gotten more biggerer

Solo Kentia throwing new leafelets on an existing, growing leaf plus a new spear 

Lady Palm is steady despite almost total neglect. Lots of big roots showing. 

C. Elegans survirors growing taller after their split-up now that there aren't 40 in a 7" pot. 

New Kentia clump still looks good. 

Dracaenaas are still ok despite me having entirely too many adult substances and crashing into them trying to turn off a lamp. They haven't moved much but they ain't dead. RIP to my Ti Plant. 

Pics tomorrow if anyone asks. 

Please pics

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, teddytn said:

Please pics

Clump of Kentia, C. Cataractarum, both L. Weddellanium, Dracaena, Rhapsis Excelsea, and solo Kentia 

Message_1621302600029.jpg

Message_1621302567832.jpg

Message_1621302531825.jpg

Message_1621302505579.jpg

Message_1621302465584.jpg

Message_1621302420476.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Clump of Kentia, C. Cataractarum, both L. Weddellanium, Dracaena, Rhapsis Excelsea, and solo Kentia 

Message_1621302600029.jpg

Message_1621302567832.jpg

Message_1621302531825.jpg

Message_1621302505579.jpg

Message_1621302465584.jpg

Message_1621302420476.jpg

Looking lush as always!!! I don’t have a ton of palms in pots, but I have a ton of plants in pots that’s for sure

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, teddytn said:

Looking lush as always!!! I don’t have a ton of palms in pots, but I have a ton of plants in pots that’s for sure

'Preciate you. I'm really happy about the Kentias, and the big Cat palm has become my favorite. A $30 mail order palm that's supposed to grow slow has put on 2 feet in height in under a year, and every time I look at it he's grown. 

The 2 best things about the covid pandemic have been my palm addiction and me getting out of a terrible job and finding a *checks notes* slightly less terrible job that pays more. I'm doing the best I can in a studio apartment :shaka-2:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

'Preciate you. I'm really happy about the Kentias, and the big Cat palm has become my favorite. A $30 mail order palm that's supposed to grow slow has put on 2 feet in height in under a year, and every time I look at it he's grown. 

The 2 best things about the covid pandemic have been my palm addiction and me getting out of a terrible job and finding a *checks notes* slightly less terrible job that pays more. I'm doing the best I can in a studio apartment :shaka-2:

Man you’re killing it, good plant daddy! I’m hoping to get my indoor palm game up there. 

27 minutes ago, teddytn said:

Man you’re killing it, good plant daddy! I’m hoping to get my indoor palm game up there. 

Not gonna lie. I wish I had a yard. For palms and the dog. But we make do. 

6 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Not gonna lie. I wish I had a yard. For palms and the dog. But we make do. 

Speaking of sancho I’m pretty sure he’s been at my house when I’m at work...:floor:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, teddytn said:

Speaking of sancho I’m pretty sure he’s been at my house when I’m at work...:floor:

:floor: that's how he got the name. 

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

:floor: that's how he got the name. 

He keeps the old lady from bothering me, but tell him to stay out the fridge!!!!

• Upvote 1

Kentia leaf opening in my 4-pack, and what I hope is a new spear pushing on my survivor of the last 4 pack. 

Message_1621986669001.jpg

Message_1621986708224.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Gonna acclimate this A. Tuckeri seedling in my apartment before he joins the Office Squad. 

Message_1622001027185.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ugh 

I just bought another Kentia. Bought a 2gal clump from Jungle Jack on Etsy. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 9:35 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

Ugh 

I just bought another Kentia. Bought a 2gal clump from Jungle Jack on Etsy. 

I did as well, just waiting for it to arrive.   I first bought their smaller one as a "test" and it's done so well bought the larger size now as well.  Typically, these will die for me indoors with in a few weeks no matter where I put them or what kind of water I give it.

Are you happy with the one you bought from Jungle Jacks?  pics!

2 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

I did as well, just waiting for it to arrive.   I first bought their smaller one as a "test" and it's done so well bought the larger size now as well.  Typically, these will die for me indoors with in a few weeks no matter where I put them or what kind of water I give it.

Are you happy with the one you bought from Jungle Jacks?  pics!

I just ordered it Friday so we'll see. My single is the last survivor of a 1 gallon clump I bought from him last year - one of the 4 had what I believe were mealybugs and died, so I split them up - one went to my office and died, one went to a co-worker and her child sister's friend cut it (along with all of her and her mom's plants) with scissors and killed it. My single survivor is doing pretty well, it's in a 2 gal pot with a mix of soil, ReptiBark and Turface. I mist it daily, don't move it, it gets a little light from a grow light and it's by my French doors. I don't move it and I don't water my Kentias often at all, maybe every week and a half or so it gets a splash of water. 

I just noticed Phil put 5 gallon Kentias on sale for the same price, but shipping would just about double that $95 price tag. I still have a 1 gallon from Phil that's still in its nursery pot. Jack does ship FedEx ground for free, so there's that. 

Anyway, long story short, the 1/4 from the first batch is still alive but it isn't Jack's fault that the others died, either lol. 

22 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I just ordered it Friday so we'll see. My single is the last survivor of a 1 gallon clump I bought from him last year - one of the 4 had what I believe were mealybugs and died, so I split them up - one went to my office and died, one went to a co-worker and her child sister's friend cut it (along with all of her and her mom's plants) with scissors and killed it. My single survivor is doing pretty well, it's in a 2 gal pot with a mix of soil, ReptiBark and Turface. I mist it daily, don't move it, it gets a little light from a grow light and it's by my French doors. I don't move it and I don't water my Kentias often at all, maybe every week and a half or so it gets a splash of water. 

I just noticed Phil put 5 gallon Kentias on sale for the same price, but shipping would just about double that $95 price tag. I still have a 1 gallon from Phil that's still in its nursery pot. Jack does ship FedEx ground for free, so there's that. 

Anyway, long story short, the 1/4 from the first batch is still alive but it isn't Jack's fault that the others died, either lol. 

Is your one from Phil indoors?    I've bought maybe 6? from him and all died quickly when indoors no matter what water I used and I kept them on the dry side. Outdoors? they did just fine.

Is your one from Phil indoors?    I've bought maybe 6? from him and all died quickly when indoors no matter what water I used and I kept them on the dry side. Outdoors? they did just fine.

Yeah. I'm really hesitant to split it up but it needs it - and repotting. 

Message_1621986669001.jpg

Welp 

I decided it was nice the other day so I left my door open with the baby gate up so Sancho couldn't run and chase women, and apparently some very pregnant mosquitos and gnats came in. So while I'm treating and putting these ugly sticky traps out, figured I'd take a few pics 

2 small pots of C. Elegans are growing well after the weaker ones got culled. I wouldn't go so far as to say they're growing fast, but I can notice growth after a week now. 

A. Tuckeri, L. Weddellanium, and a fatter C. Elegans that was plucked from Sideshow Bob all doing well. Xmas tree sprout is apparently still pissed about being planted upside down for 2 weeks. 

Big crowd - a couple different Dracaenas that really haven't moved a lot, some more Sideshow Bob sprouts, a triple potting of R. Excelsea, Eddie the Kentia, and Ms. Lou the Monstera. 

Fat Cat Garfield just keeps putting out big new leaves. Right now he's pushing 5 that haven't opened yet. 

The taller of my 2 L. Weddellanium is getting taller - maybe I need to show them Pal Meir's plants to inspire them to grow faster. 

Message_1622589535747.jpg

Message_1622589500608.jpg

Message_1622589458246.jpg

Message_1622589419968.jpg

Message_1622589368916.jpg

• Upvote 1

2gal Kentia from Jungle Jack showed up in a very smashed box. 

20210604_122108.jpg

20210604_112906.jpg

• Upvote 1

@sashaeffer def take yours and hose it off when it arrives. Same white cottony mess on a leaf as my last one. Just sprayed it down with insecticidal soap and stuck it in the rain. ^_^

17 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

2gal Kentia from Jungle Jack showed up in a very smashed box. 

20210604_122108.jpg

20210604_112906.jpg

Supposed to be getting mine Monday along with 2 gallon Cham. Plumosa from them. Looks like they are taking a tour of California for a while according to my tracking.  How tall in Inches is yours??

I will look at mine real close. Thanks for the heads up.

How tall in Inches is yours??

I will look at mine real close. Thanks for the heads up.

I haven't measured, but I'd ballpark it around 4ft from the top of the soil. 

• Like 1

Split the 2 gallon Kentias I got Friday. Not enough pots laying around to split the 1 gallon I got a while ago. 

@sashaeffer I still didn't measure, but 3 of the 4 plants are at least as tall as my Swiffer.

And yeah, the tan pot on the right is really small. Good vibes that these all survive. 

Message_1623014161966.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Split the 2 gallon Kentias I got Friday. Not enough pots laying around to split the 1 gallon I got a while ago. 

@sashaeffer I still didn't measure, but 3 of the 4 plants are at least as tall as my Swiffer.

And yeah, the tan pot on the right is really small. Good vibes that these all survive. 

Message_1623014161966.jpg

You are far more daring than I would be splitting the Kentia.  Keep me/us posted on the progress of the lot.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, sashaeffer said:

You are far more daring than I would be splitting the Kentia.  Keep me/us posted on the progress of the lot.

No nuts no glory lol. I've still got 1 from the first batch I split, and if it wasn't for a child with scissors 2 would still be here. One died before I even split them up. Part of me regrets buying this and not the 5gal Phil put on sale, but on the flip side, I also know shipping a 5gal plant from Phil will cost as much as the plant itself. Not bashing him, I understand the shipping prices(as well as the frickin $30 worth of packing tape I have to hack through when I buy from him), but if the 2 tallest plants live I'll be happy and feel I got my money's worth. 

8 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

No nuts no glory lol. I've still got 1 from the first batch I split, and if it wasn't for a child with scissors 2 would still be here. One died before I even split them up. Part of me regrets buying this and not the 5gal Phil put on sale, but on the flip side, I also know shipping a 5gal plant from Phil will cost as much as the plant itself. Not bashing him, I understand the shipping prices(as well as the frickin $30 worth of packing tape I have to hack through when I buy from him), but if the 2 tallest plants live I'll be happy and feel I got my money's worth. 

Lets up both of us have better luck with Kentias from Jungle Jacks. ALL my Kentias I bought from Phil died pretty quick indoors for me. I would say I tried.....5/6 times?   The small Kentia from Jungle Jacks is still doing just fine indoors so that is why I bought a larger one from JJ.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 5:11 AM, sashaeffer said:

Lets up both of us have better luck with Kentias from Jungle Jacks. ALL my Kentias I bought from Phil died pretty quick indoors for me. I would say I tried.....5/6 times?   The small Kentia from Jungle Jacks is still doing just fine indoors so that is why I bought a larger one from JJ.

So far so good. Nothing has died yet. Yours doing ok @sashaeffer

How's the c. Plumosa doing? Mine on the patio are growing like 4 tiny little beasts. 

9 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

So far so good. Nothing has died yet. Yours doing ok @sashaeffer

How's the c. Plumosa doing? Mine on the patio are growing like 4 tiny little beasts. 

All are doing just fine so far. I water my Kentias every two weeks and the Plumosa is outside next to my greenhouse and gets a mix of sun/shade and seems happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting my South window dialed in, I call it the palm gallery :).  

26 individual palms in total, here's the list of the different types on display here:

Dypsis lutescens, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Lytocaryum weddellianum, Archontophoenix alexandrae, Rhapis excelsa, Chamaedorea elegans

IMG_2264.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the heavy breathing. I caught covid again. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/7/2021 at 4:19 PM, PsyPalm said:

The movie upload didn't seem to work so here's a better link if you want to see more up close detail :)

https://imgur.com/gallery/VIxG4QD

Brother, I am insanely tragically meanfully jealous of that window and that natural light. Trying not to be jealous, and to be happy for you and your green homies - but I'm salty and jealous that I don't have a window like that. Player Haters Ball jealous. RIP Charlie Murphy. 

• 2 weeks later...

@JohnAndSancho Awesome walkthrough!  Your collection is amazing brother.  Anyone with 9 howeas in their apartment is alright by me :D

That new lyto is adorable, it looks really good on the floor in that dappled shade, 10/10 jungle vibes.

I ended up getting two of the 3 gal. lytos from Wekiva Foliage on Bonanza (https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Wedding-Palm-Live-Plant-in-a-3-Gallon-Growers-Pot-Lytocaryum-Weddellianum-/1059074336?goog_pla=1), they've quickly become two of my favorites.  The first one I bought seems to be a bit older than the second one, although both are full and beautiful.  After giving the first one a manicure it turned out to be solidly trunking which is really cool to see.  I had to trim a good deal of it's fronds as they got pretty beat up from shipping/shock.  The younger one arrived in much better condition though and still has most of the fronds it shipped with.  The natural glossy shine of their pinnae is truly stunning, pictures don't do these palms justice.

Awesome collection dude!!

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

@PsyPalm thanks buddy. You can really hear the covid in my voice in that lol. Finally went back to work today after 3 weeks. All my palms have been super neglected and I'm sweating it out with the patio squad now. 

• 4 weeks later...

Welp 

2 of the Kentias in the 1gal pot spear pulled, I'm sure due to neglect when I was sick. I was hoping to never know how that pop feels and sounds, but here we are. 

• 5 months later...

Bumpity bump bump 

Here's a video of what I haven't killed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

it's in the 30s and raining so everything is currently Indoor Squad, but here's some pics of new fronds. 

Butia x Lytocaryum Weddelanium

C. Benezeii 

Spindly Bob 

Garfield the giant C. Cataractarum

C. Plumosa 

20220224_213417.jpg

20220224_213426.jpg

20220224_213502.jpg

20220224_213445_HDR.jpg

20220224_213518.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1