• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cocos nucifera (Coconut) in Malta

Maltese coconut project

November and temperatures are in their lower 70s Fahrenheit / lower 20s degrees celcius in the shade but mid 80s Fahrenheit /upper 20s or 30 degrees celcius in the sun 

IMG_20211102_102657~2.jpg

IMG_20211102_102637~2.jpg

IMG_20211102_102614~2.jpg

IMG_20211102_102729~2.jpg

IMG_20211102_102753~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 28/10/2021 at 07:57, Maltese coconut project said:

Non sono ancora d'accordo con lasciarlo fuori in inverno in Liguria però 

your cocos are spectacular ... especially those 3 that I see bigger, I would say are ready for the open field and grow freely in the ground ... I put the outdoor experiment which for now continues to grow ... today still 21 ° celsius

20211102_111748.jpg

20211102_111649.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, if a coconut can grow in Malta, perhaps I can try my luck in my house in Crete too. I don't mind protecting it on cold days, which are not that many in Crete. Coconuts can grow in Tenerife, which is of course quite warmer than Crete or Malta, but they don't normally produce fruits, so I doubt they will ever do in the Mediterranean.

• Upvote 1

previously known as ego

Crete has a very similar climate to Malta especially closer to the sea (so that night time low won't drop like they do in inner big continent. Regarding fruit it's too early to judge but in Tenerife I saw photos of fruiting coconut palms for sure and similarly even in Madeira. These palms are mostly sensitive to night time low temperatures so if you find an area surrounded by buildings or rocks it's better than an exposed area where night time temperatures drop significantly 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, ego said:

Wow, if a coconut can grow in Malta, perhaps I can try my luck in my house in Crete too. I don't mind protecting it on cold days, which are not that many in Crete. Coconuts can grow in Tenerife, which is of course quite warmer than Crete or Malta, but they don't normally produce fruits, so I doubt they will ever do in the Mediterranean.

Long term?

(5+ years outdoors)

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 11/6/2021 at 8:39 AM, ego said:

They do get fruits every year everywhere in the Canary Islands. From the northernmost islet (Caleta de Sebo, 29ºN) to the southernmost areas in the island of Gran Canaria at 27ºN where they get giant sized and very ripe fruits every year. The difference is that in the northern coasts they don't get as many and as big sized as they do on the central and southern coasts. Although this is not always mandatory because there are pics of giant cocos held by coconut trees in Lanzarote or in Puerto de la Cruz in northern Tenerife.

The following photos are from Puerto del Carmen, Lanzarote (1st pic) and Puerto Mogán, Gran Canaria. All of them done in different years and seasons.  
Take account that Lanzarote is actually considered North in the Canary Islands, Puerto Mogán is one of the Southernmost areas. 

el-coco-crece-en-puerto-del-carmen-lanza

2515_1393182065.jpg 

flores-de-hibisco-cocoteros-y-linterna-t

If you need the direct sources for them: 
1st pic https://www.alamy.es/foto-el-coco-crece-en-puerto-del-carmen-lanzarote-islas-canarias-31643189.html
2nd pic https://www.fotopaises.com/foto/cocotero-mogan-gran-canaria-espana-402344
3rd pic https://www.alamy.es/foto-flores-de-hibisco-cocoteros-y-linterna-tipico-de-resort-de-lujo-en-puerto-de-mogan-en-gran-canaria-islas-canarias-20564568.html

Edited by Alicante
  • Like 2

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

On 11/6/2021 at 8:50 AM, Maltese coconut project said:

Crete has a very similar climate to Malta especially closer to the sea (so that night time low won't drop like they do in inner big continent. Regarding fruit it's too early to judge but in Tenerife I saw photos of fruiting coconut palms for sure and similarly even in Madeira. These palms are mostly sensitive to night time low temperatures so if you find an area surrounded by buildings or rocks it's better than an exposed area where night time temperatures drop significantly 

Hello Maltese coconut project, your work is very good and it's just amazing how you're documentating every step of it. Please keep us updated, it seems they have grown up quite a lot during the past summer, the combination of the summer highs as well as the night heat (with plenty of humidity) the Mediterranean has is a very good factor for the coconuts. The real deal as you say is the winter, but I think it could be done.  There is actually a 8 year old coconut growing in southern Spain (Málaga)  that is thriving without any kind of protection. But i'll put that post on the other thread you've made regarding growing coconuts in marginal climates. Thank you for doing that thread as well! :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 

I believe they can do if they survive but at a slower rate.. Thanks for the information and photos 

You're welcome to post about it even here. I am flexible as long as it's a learning experience for all of us viewers. Thank you in advance 

12 minutes ago, Maltese coconut project said:

You're welcome to post about it even here. I am flexible as long as it's a learning experience for all of us viewers. Thank you in advance 

I've just made this post on that thread, but if anyone wants to, the replies can be done here as well if our host allows it to! ^_^

Here are the 2020 pics of the 10 year old coconut in Puerto de la Victoria, Málaga that has been outside without any kind of artificial protection since the 2013-2014 winter. 
https://foro.infojardin.com/threads/cocotero-en-malaga.114833/

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2021 at 2:39 AM, ego said:

I thought they DO regularly fruit and get large viable nuts there, at least in the Westernmost Canary Islands, where the rainfall is somewhat higher.  They even fruit in Madeira, which is north of the Canaries and a little cooler in the winter, so I am sure they regularly fruit in the Canaries!

John

1 hour ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

I thought they DO regularly fruit and get large viable nuts there, at least in the Westernmost Canary Islands, where the rainfall is somewhat higher.  They even fruit in Madeira, which is north of the Canaries and a little cooler in the winter, so I am sure they regularly fruit in the Canaries!

John

They do fruit in all of them just as shown above, Lanzarote albeit being fully desertic, if the coconuts receive the water they need by irrigation they get giant cocos every year. The 1st pic is from Puerto del Carmen, Lanzarote. 

I have pics of a fully Caribbean looking resort in Lanzarote where they have dozens of coconuts that are between 10 and 20 meters tall (32 to 65 ft) they do thrive as champs in that very sunny climate as long as they get their water. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alicante said:

They do fruit in all of them just as shown above, Lanzarote albeit being fully desertic, if the coconuts receive the water they need by irrigation they get giant cocos every year. The 1st pic is from Puerto del Carmen, Lanzarote. 

I have pics of a fully Caribbean looking resort in Lanzarote where they have dozens of coconuts that are between 10 and 20 meters tall (32 to 65 ft) they do thrive as champs in that very sunny climate as long as they get their water. 

Yeah, I would LOVE to live in the Canary Islands, where I could grow my Coconut Palms of various varieties to full maturity with large nuts on them.  And I bet the scuba diving and snorkeling there are great too!!!

John

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 11/6/2021 at 9:27 AM, GottmitAlex said:

A lungo termine ?

(5+ anni all'aperto)

hi alex now with the salt in this period how do you behave? always every month?

Edited by Aleitalyyy

On 11/10/2021 at 11:11 PM, Aleitalyyy said:

hi alex now with the salt in this period how do you behave? always every month?

Every other month. 

So: one month no salt, the next month, salt. 

The results have been great!

IMG_20211113_005620_1_copy_2000x1000.jpg

IMG_20211113_010750_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

OK so I was wrong. I read somewhere that in the northern side of the Canary islands coconut trees don't bear fruit but that was obviously not true. Thank you everyone. I may try a coconut tree here in Greece some day if I have a spot with high humidity, ample sunlight and high temperatures.

previously known as ego

Moving the oldest ones to the east side to shelter from the upcoming gale storm from the west 

IMG_20211126_111716.jpg

IMG_20211126_111652.jpg

IMG_20211126_111644.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Maltese coconut project said:

Will try in the ground next summer 

Next Spring/ primavera

• Upvote 1

The first third of the Mediterranean spring is still to cool especially at night. At least will need to wait for the last few days of April or first days of May 

• 3 weeks later...

So December starts to be significantly a bad month in terms of temperature for coconut palms. By just one month from my last photos, they look significantly battered especially the ones in the front row farthest from the corner.  During our December, daytime high goes below 21 degrees celcius (70 degrees Fahrenheit) and night time low below 15 degrees celcius (below 60 degrees Fahrenheit). January, February and March are also among the bad months with April being borderline (similar to November) and May to October being the best. Also I noticed that the dehusked ones germinated by myself and more cool tolerant than the ready ones purchased from Lidl. 

IMG_20211228_152306.jpg

IMG_20211228_152246.jpg

Edited by Maltese coconut project

1 hour ago, Maltese coconut project said:

So December starts to be significantly a bad month in terms of temperature for coconut palms. By just one month from my last photos, they look significantly battered especially the ones in the front row farthest from the corner.  During our December, daytime high goes below 21 degrees celcius (70 degrees Fahrenheit) and night time low below 15 degrees celcius (below 60 degrees Fahrenheit). January, February and March are also among the bad months with April being borderline (similar to November) and May to October being the best. Also I noticed that the dehusked ones germinated by myself and more cool tolerant than the ready ones purchased from Lidl. 

IMG_20211228_152306.jpg

IMG_20211228_152246.jpg

I hear you. They take a beating especially while in pots.  In the ground they can withstand a bit more. But in pots, well, I don't know if they'll survive one winter. 

You may want to place a tarp over them. At least so the heat can remain longer with the cocos.

• Upvote 1

I have also noticed that the dehusked germinated ones from India seemed to perform the best from all varieties. Here are the photos of Indian ones. 

IMG_20211228_182613~2.jpg

IMG_20211228_182633~2.jpg

IMG_20211228_182654~2.jpg

IMG_20211228_182648~2.jpg

• Like 1

The dehusked germinated ones from the previous years were from Nicaragua which overall are quite good but I am truly astounded with the Indian varieties. Here are pictures of the Nicaraguan ones 

IMG_20211228_182748~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Maltese coconut project said:

I have also noticed that the dehusked germinated ones from India seemed to perform the best from all varieties. Here are the photos of Indian ones. 

IMG_20211228_182613~2.jpg

IMG_20211228_182633~2.jpg

IMG_20211228_182654~2.jpg

IMG_20211228_182648~2.jpg

It seems so.  However, the effects will not show until 30+ days later....

These two are from South East Asia, don't know the exact location but till now they are fairly good 

IMG_20211228_182707~2.jpg

IMG_20211228_182702~2.jpg

• Upvote 1

And finally the Dutch greenhouse ones which I am quite disappointed with and I am predicting that probably will perish by the end of April 2022. They are getting narrower, a sign that I saw the previous winter in specimens that eventually perished 

IMG_20211228_182812~2.jpg

IMG_20211228_182818~2.jpg

IMG_20211228_182719~2.jpg

IMG_20211228_182713~2.jpg

• Upvote 1

I am going to post a photo of the 5 Nicaraguan ones (of which I sold the smallest pair) back in late December 2020 as a comparison. The first two photos show the three biggest ones (in their past) which already survived in pots.  Why should it being temporarily in a pot be an issue for survival? Except for the advantage of ability to move them according to the best weather conditions? 

Screenshot_2021-12-28-18-56-13-159_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpg

Screenshot_2021-12-28-18-56-24-174_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Screenshot_2021-12-28-18-56-36-082_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

I cannot place tarps there. I already tried that in September 2020. Wind damaged the setup because it became literally "a sail". Here are photo comparisons circled in colours to show same specimens after one year 

IMG_20211228_182748~3.jpg

Screenshot_2021-12-28-18-56-13-159_com.google.android.apps.photos~4.jpg

IMG_20211228_182748~4.jpg

Screenshot_2021-12-28-18-56-13-159_com.google.android.apps.photos~3.jpg

IMG_20211228_182748~5.jpg

Screenshot_2021-12-28-18-56-24-174_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpg

I would remove the trays under the pots for free drainage, place them on two bits of wood (keeping them off the concrete) and I wouldn't water them till warmer weather returns. You will be surprised at how drought tolerant these are. Having all that concrete around them is the major factor in keeping them alive so far. Think about a bigger concrete pot to put them in next summer.  Good work in keeping them alive in your climate.

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

hi bro and congratulations as always ... very happy and surprised to know that Indian walnuts are more tolerant to cold ... and hopefully at least the big ones survive the winter to plant in the ground soon ...

Yes the Indian ones look way better than the greenhouse Dutch ones for sure. A cut above literally 

No watering will be a bit too long.. Stable warm weather returns in late April here (were talking about 24 degrees celcius or 75 degrees Fahrenheit in the shade). This is our current weather (in the shade because in the sun goes in the 70s Fahrenheit / 20s degrees celcius) 

Screenshot_2021-12-29-12-23-30-304_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2021-12-29-12-23-36-958_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by Maltese coconut project
  • Upvote 1