• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cocos nucifera (Coconut) in Malta

Maltese coconut project

On 8/1/2021 at 2:14 PM, Aleitalyyy said:

@ GottmitAlex alex i'd like to see your beccariophoenix now now ....

I did the unthinkable today:

I cut a beautifully green leaf from one of my cocos. This was because the aforementioned leaf was over the Beccariophoenix and hindering its sunlight.

Here are two pics. One is of the cut petiole and the other is of the Alfie. 

It's all green because for the longest time the younger cocos were blocking the light. 

IMG_20210815_162036_1_copy_2592x4608.jpg

IMG_20210815_162040_1_copy_2592x4608.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I wouldn't have done so.. Palms don't like pruning except for the really totally dry and dead leaves 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maltese coconut project said:

I wouldn't have done so.. Palms don't like pruning except for the really totally dry and dead leaves 

Totally agree with you.

I pray I didn't give a death sentence to one of my palms.

The Alfie has always been plan B.

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I don't think it will be a death sentence but preferably if you didn't do it.. I am guessing that you might have planted them too close to each other 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

hello alexx beautiful your alfie ... it now looks like a juvenile coconut ... the ugly of alfredi is that it tries to stay with the short stem ... perhaps to have a more coconut effect on the plant it would need to be cultivated in the first years pot in the dark as they do with Dutch coconuts in greenhouses? I think it might be an idea ... a taller alfredi looks more like coconut ... this is mine today! and the coconut is going really well and I also cut a leaf that was one of those as a child ...

20210816_191617.jpg

20210816_191627.jpg

20210816_191643.jpg

20210816_191704.jpg

• Like 2

A coconut which sees enough light doesn't elongate the stem that much. Compare with the ones I germinated myself from food ones compared the ones which are ready seedlings from Lidl, they have much thicker trunk 

IMG_20210610_180614.jpg

• Upvote 1

hello bro yes I had already noticed the big difference of the small greenhouse palm trees ... it comes from those like yours in the picture ... how are you? resists the sun of Malta? many decline them as too delicate and destined to die within a few months ... in my experience they seem to me to be excellent palms ... it is obvious that you have to use precautions initially having come out of a stove with little light .... this is the Italian forum where we discuss coconut mainly for indoor ones ...

https://www.fruttama.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=789&sid=80e1ded706402f51dc02aacaf198273b&start=570

Edited by Aleitalyyy

Coconut seedlings shouldn't be exposed in the scorching late daytime summer sun.. Only sunrise and sunset sun. Any temperature above 30 degrees equals heat stress.  They grow fast in the upper twenties and just 30. In summer they grow faster during the night 

18 hours ago, Maltese coconut project said:

I don't think it will be a death sentence but preferably if you didn't do it.. I am guessing that you might have planted them too close to each other 

I've been told that many, many times. Thanks

No it won't be a death sentence.  They can handle sun better than handling cold for example. But to maximise results it's best to keep it away from midday sun at first.. In fact that's one of the reasons why I prefer to keep them in large pots at least for the first two years, to move to a North facing area in the warm months, the other reason being the opposite : to move south facing during the cooler months to maximise exposure to the sun 

• Upvote 1

hello guys do you know how to recommend me a professional chemical liquid fertilizer that I obviously find in Europe? for coconut and palm trees in general ...

3 hours ago, Aleitalyyy said:

hello guys do you know how to recommend me a professional chemical liquid fertilizer that I obviously find in Europe? for coconut and palm trees in general ...

You can dilute it in water for soil application. I recommend Fetrilon Combi 2

1 teaspoon (5 Grams) for every 12 Liters of water.

• Upvote 1

If you're referring to fast acting one I use the pink 22 12 12 because palms have big leaves therefore need more Nitrogen compared to phosphorus and potassium.. Then I use micronutrients containing Boron, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, Zinc and Molybdenum. I prefer to use it in a just 1/5 diluted but frequent once every 5 days in the warm growing season only. Then as a slow release I use agrial blue pellets and Midotech gold and just use half dose of each applying  full dose in summer and half dose in Autumn /Fall 

• Upvote 1

The ones I use are mostly Italian brands except for the blue slow release pellets which are from brand Agrial (from Netherlands) 

IMG_20210712_001004.jpg

IMG_20210712_000958.jpg

• Upvote 1

guys I also found this of the compo sold at a liter a bottle ... I put the photo ... as soon as I am home I go to read the specifications of the ones you use ... and then I decide what to take ... I would like to use professional stuff and optimize my palms and banana trees to the maximum ...

Screenshot_20210820-070559_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

especially beautiful ... 3 are at the top .. at the beginning of September I put photos of mine ... I am still undecided about the new fertilization phase for all my tropical plants

• Like 1

I use same technique for them.. Slow release two times a year and water soluble 2/5 dose every 5 days.. Dilute but frequent 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When will you plant them?

• Upvote 1

Whoah! Stays out this winter??? 

viel Glück

hello guys and yes ... I put this to keep it out and experimenting the area (one of the hottest in Liguria) with a young "disposable" plant .... the vase is large and is made of concrete so it retains a lot of heat from the sun. The. point is sheltered from the north wind and north winds! facing south! I have a great curiosity to see how much it resists! the locality is alassio in liguria.

If you're in Liguria I will experiment from May till October and bring inside.. Otherwise you're going to waste such a beautiful palm and that's a pity 

with mine that I keep on the terrace I do this ... (tonight I put the photos) instead with this attempt the experiment ....

I experimented a similar experiment last winter in Malta. The biggest (usually close to one meter or above) survived. Younger ones didn't.. And we have much warmer winter averages with especially low night time temperatures. Have a look at the monthly averages compared 

Screenshot_2021-08-31-14-14-54-315_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-31-14-14-24-952_com.android.chrome.jpg

Correction to my previous comment last Sunday , water soluble fertiliser during warm growing season only 1/5 diluted (I just saw the spelling mistake) 

those temperatures are generic of Liguria ... but on the coast on the sea like alassio or imperia they are much warmer .... with the sun even in January there can be 18 degrees in the hottest hour ... of course it is still too cold unfortunately ... maybe inside a greenhouse it would be a little easier ...

Screenshot_20210831-215509_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20210831-215144_Google.jpg

ecco il mio in terrazzo ora l'ultimo mese fuori e poi di nuovo in casa dietro la finestra... sono proprio contento di come sta andando... devo ancora ottimizzare il tutto con un buon fertilizzante che non ho avuto il tempo di cercare ancora perchè sono impegnato con il lavoro...notare il gambo con la bottiglia vicino...

2020831_181639.jpg

20210831_181611.jpg

2020831_181554.jpg

2020831_181654.jpg

20210831_181605.jpg

Edited by Aleitalyyy
  • Like 1

Since my last post my coco has pushed out two more fronds.  I think it has recovered from being transplanted into a bigger container.  Humidity in Phoenix is certainly helping it to grow as well as all the rain we have had.  

Only downside, it’s getting big and I live in a condo.  Too tall for my balcony where it once lived.  

E6460A4D-53DD-4ED5-B674-0823399B0904.jpeg

• Upvote 2

I would try it to winter outside.. Maybe put it south facing for the cooler months. At that size it has quite good chances 

Its chances are less in a pot than in the ground.  But I think it's too late in the season to plant it.

Planting in a pot has it's advantages such as being able to change it's position according to the weather.. I strongly recommend using a big pot at least for the first two years if it's planted outside the full tropical monsoon climate 

Moving to a south facing condo in the same complex next month.  I don’t recall how much sun is available on the bottom floor or if the buildings across the drive cast a large shadow during the winter.  If it does remain well lit with sunlight, it’s most likely staying outside all winter to take advantage of sun exposure. 

My current place is east facing.  Sun only hangs out for a few hours during winter early in the morning and before noon, it’s completely shaded and can be chilly in the shade here for a couple of months. 

No shot at planting it while my residence is in a condo.  HOA doesn’t allows residences to plunge plants in the common landscaping areas.  Hopefully I have sun down there or I’ll have to squeeze it on the balcony where there will be sun exposure.  

either way, I left it out most of last winter and it did fine in the upper 40s.  Yellowed up quite a bit, come March it started to green up again once it warmed up.  She seems to have finally hit a growth spurt after transplanting into a larger pot.  For a while I was getting two fronds pushing out per month from May through November of last year.  Definitely a fun experiment. 

Edited by ando.wsu
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1