• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cocos nucifera (Coconut) in Malta

Maltese coconut project

5 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Ok. Ricorda solo che prima li pianti, più forti diventeranno. (Sì, proteggili i primi 2-3 anni)

I also told him the same things ... those palms like the plants in the earth will rocket ... because any plant in the ground is stronger than in a pot! alex your cocos are fantastic ... good congratulations!

• Like 1

fantastic .... really! they have something different from those known as Dutch elongated plants (like mine)! these are fantastic ... I notice the huge pineapples too ... I planted a baby pineapple from the tuft and it's getting super ...

They have seen plenty of light unlike the etiolated Dutch greenhouse grown ones 

sorry for the little off topic ... this is my anans baby also left out this winter ... instead the banana I'm not sure about the quality but it grows like a rocket ... meanwhile the coconut has opened a new launch ... still 2 months of favorable weather ...

20210805_201853.jpg

20210805_201902.jpg

28 minutes ago, Maltese coconut project said:

Sembra l'ananas della regina Vittoria e una banana rossa 

the fruit where I had obtained the tuft was like this ... I noticed the rapid growth and resistance to cold greater than the large common pineapples! I don't understand if the banana is a tropicana ...

100301-baby-ananas.jpg

20210805_205220.jpg

20210805_205226.jpg

Exactly.. That's the Queen victoria pineapple.. The other looks similar to a Sumatran blood banana 

• Upvote 1

Yes true they have higher survival rates when planted from pineapple tops compared to the normal big ones 

• Upvote 1

Well, this thread sure derailed as fast as you can say "Prego".

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

They do not like wind for sure.. But anyway let's try to keep to the subject as much as possible 

• Upvote 1

here is the coconut planted for almost 2 months in alassio liguria, which will remain out in winter 2022. ... I am very curious to see how it comes out and what degree of death it undergoes ... I have a question but do any of you use organic fertilizer? I read that it is not recommended in pots because it favors coconut root rot

Sorry for off topic

20210806_164415.jpg

20210806_164425.jpg

• Like 1

Liguria is too up North. Only from June till September is good for coconut palm 

• Upvote 1

I mostly use non organic buy sometimes I have some rabbit manure from my own pet but that's not the most common I use 

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2021 at 2:31 PM, Aleitalyyy said:

@MelvinB  @ Giovanni in Andalusia @ ando.wsu

ragazzi ecco una discussione che ci unisce tutti per le palme da cocco piantate in europa... indoor autodoor l'importante ci scambiamo opinioni... @ RaychHasDatePalms 

thanks guys is how are your palms?

Mine is good this summer in Scottsdale Az.  Much “ cooler” summer than last year with some good monsoonal moisture unlike last year where it was above 110 F for what seemed like three months. 

I upgraded the coco to a larger pot in March which has helped to keep it from falling over.  It hasn’t grown as fast this year compared to past summers, most likely sending growth beneath the soil.  

The Palm looks much better with the humidity present this summer coupled with plenty of water and fertilizer.   It is getting really tall.  Gonna be a test how I protect it this winter.  

8CCE9EC3-9244-40E7-BCBC-CC3FAB3B2A5C.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Seems like night time low between November and March are an issue there 

@ando.wsureally beautiful and thank you for your update ... I would like you to update us then if you plant it in the open ground in the garden ... and all the precautions you will take ... this is my coconut today, I also water a lot and the days these days are momentarily cool due to the low pressure ... I'm waiting for a professional granular fertilizer called nitroposka gold and it really makes a difference

20210807_182459.jpg

20210807_182545.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maltese coconut project said:

Very beautiful Coconut palm there 

Thank you!  It battled a really bad case of spider mites earlier this year when housed inside for the winter.  It is starting to grow out of it now. 

2 hours ago, Aleitalyyy said:

@ando.wsureally beautiful and thank you for your update ... I would like you to update us then if you plant it in the open ground in the garden ... and all the precautions you will take ... this is my coconut today, I also water a lot and the days these days are momentarily cool due to the low pressure ... I'm waiting for a professional granular fertilizer called nitroposka gold and it really makes a difference

20210807_182459.jpg

20210807_182545.jpg

Keep it up.  I’ve had mine for three years now.  Picked up a nut when moved back to the mainland from Hawaii.  They sure do grow fast when it’s warm.  

We will see if I plant it in the ground. I currently live in a condo, so she will have to be a potted plant for a bit longer. 

• Upvote 2

shopping at the supermarket in the fruit department I noticed a walnut with a swollen eye ... I scratched the eye and then put it in the bag with water and closed it in a box with a heating LED ... well after 3 days it seems that I am pushing the sprout out ... I keep you updated ...

20210808_185400.jpg

20210808_185407.jpg

• Upvote 1

I saw this method on YouTube several times. When I tried it myself I got high incidence of rot after sprouting. I also tried small plastic containers and also experienced high incidence of rot.  Probably it's because the humidity will be exaggerated in smaller containers and bags. The big box method reduced the rot rate 

• Upvote 1

ok then I leave it for a few more days and then I remove the bag .... I hope that a yellow quality palm tree comes out that I have been looking for for a long time ...

Use same concept but with a large box instead of a small bag. Just similar to the setup I use 

• Upvote 1

If it's in a very small closed area the humidity will be too much 

If you bought the nuts from Lidl you have 50% chance for a yellow quality one.  That's where I buy mine and currently lidl is getting them from India 

Edited by Maltese coconut project
Spelling mistake
  • Upvote 1

no I was not at lidl but at conad and unfortunately there was no written origin .... instead the ipercoop come from srilanka .. but I had never had a nut with an eye already sprouting ...

On 8/6/2021 at 8:03 AM, Aleitalyyy said:

dear do you know the resistance of my muse? that I do not find information about the red banana

The banana is a Musa acuminata 'Dwarf cavendish' or more likely a 'Super dwarf cavendish'.

Musa tropicana is a fictional name which gardencenter like to give. 

• Upvote 1

Bye dear do they say that the yellow qualities are more resistant than the green ones? looking at reed all the cocconut al limit in california and also the one in cyprus are all yellow ... I got this idea that yellows are more robust in the cold than green ... from your experience what do you think? anyway I'm a bomb they're doing great ...

9 minutes ago, Aleitalyyy said:

Bye dear do they say that the yellow qualities are more resistant than the green ones? looking at reed all the cocconut al limit in california and also the one in cyprus are all yellow ... I got this idea that yellows are more robust in the cold than green ... from your experience what do you think? anyway I'm a bomb they're doing great ...

The green varieties are more cold resistant/cold hardy than the yellow.

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

My third biggest one is rather a green variety compared to the two bigger ones.. I am not sure if I can answer your question here because they all survived last winter. In marginal climates, its more the size and maturity of the palm that counts 

• Upvote 1

but they are spectacular ... mine is not that high yet ... I hope winter is not a problem in Malta this year ... and I hope to see them in the open ground soon! once in the ground everything changes ... some Sicilian friends need to try in the southern coasts of Sicily in areas with a mountain barrier behind ... I have never been to Sicily but I think for sure there are micro-climates that can also work in Sicily ... they tried in Calabria but it didn't go well ... have you seen the Italian forum? if you like it I'll point it out ...