• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cocos nucifera (Coconut) in Malta

Maltese coconut project

Ok I understand they are facultative halophytes and that they can easily handle the salty water but what I ask is do they really improve? Or is salt almost neutral for them? I use slow release fertiliser twice a year and in warm seasons, I use water soluble fast release fertiliser with micronutrients diluted to just 1/5 the recommended dose but frequently once every 5 days. I use tap water and watering cans. Does everyone record improvement using sea salt? Is it worth contaminating the soil making it unusable for other plants (that is my main concern) 

Yes they do improve! Every other month you will fertilize. Every month after that, you will give them salt.  

Here's the best fertilizer for palms in Europe (for both foliar and irrigation): It's from Deutschland:  "Fetrilon Combi 2"  (It is excellent). 

It has cobalt. Quite expensive, but it releases the vitamin B12.  

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

24 minutes ago, Maltese coconut project said:

Is it worth contaminating the soil making it unusable for other plants (that is my main concern) 

That the risk you will take.  Hence, my recommendation for your region is to obtain a Beccariophoenix alfredii instead of Cocos nucifera.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I will keep my usual technique as it is.  Slow release fertiliser twice a year,  fast soluble fertiliser NPK 22 12 12, boron, magnesium, manganese, copper, Zinc, iron, and some other minerals are also present (such as molybdenum). Then use tap water. I remember long ago in the early 2000s my geography teacher mentioning figures of between 400-600 ppm (between 1/60 - 1/90 fraction of sodium chloride amount found in seawater) sodium chloride in our local desalination water apart that they do add some chlorine as well 

• Upvote 1

Also one more thing I forgot to mention. The country I live in (Malta) is the 10th smallest country in the world. I live in the centre of the mainland (Attard) and I only have 7 km north and 7 km south from the sea and 13.5 km east and 13.5 km west from the sea. Probably that alone also makes a difference in lower aquifers and salt spray definitely hits us well 

• Upvote 1

Friends I just started a new discussion where everyone who had experience of growing Cocos nucifera (Coconut) in marginal climates outside the tropical monsoon is invited to discuss,, share their methods etc.. This is the link 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for tagging members, it will be a learning experience for everyone, kind regards Jonathan 

• Upvote 1

I don't know about directly with seawater. According to Purdue University agricultural website,  they are facultative halophytes and do not need direct seawater. On the other hand, the Philippines coconut authority and some Indian sources recommend the use of sea salt and they mention better coconut yield and disease tolerance. Quite debatable, honestly I am afraid of doing it. But by chance it happened that in my area our tap water comes from desalination plant but still there will be some small amounts of salt in them (more than bottled water for example) They do benefit from the chloride (from Sodium Chloride) and other minerals found in the sea but one has to keep in mind that Coconut palm originally comes from monsoon areas where roots get constantly rinsed by monsoon rain especially during monsoon season.  In the drier seasons,  there will still be lots of underground water which in some areas might be brackish due to the nearby coast. 

• Upvote 1

This is a Valency table and a guide in general regarding plant essential and beneficial nutrients.  Blue ones are obtained from air and water C = Carbon, H= Hydrogen O = Oxygen, Green are obtained from fertiliser and organic materials N = Nitrogen, P = Phosphorus, K = Potassium,  Mg = Magnesium, Mn = Manganese,  B = Boron, Fe = Iron,  Cu = Copper,  Zn = Zinc,  Ca = Calcium, Mo = Molybdenum,  Ni = Nickel, S = Sulphur,  Cl = Chloride. The yellow ones are beneficial. Na = Sodium, Co = Cobalt, Si = Silicone,  Se = Selenium 

Essential-and-beneficial-elements-in-higher-plants.png

• Upvote 1

I would like to see mine soon become like this ... yours see them in the open field ... for the matter goes up I sometimes put the walnut around a bit but I have not seen significant changes ... but I think it can be a good disinfect the roots for the indoor winter period against molds in the earth ...

87852C54-2C53-4EA0-B876-2C4EFBC24EC0.jpeg.d1204e13a62a2476c3edbfdf22644f8c.jpeg

D1BB9FC3-551F-482C-8F27-9CF8A972F4D4.jpeg.0a3a853d5d7dc115fb2b357c2ee17edd.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Very beautiful,, where was the photo of these coconut palms taken? 

Le foto le avevo scattate qui sul forum...mi sembra di ricordare che fosse un post in un asilo nido in florida...

Edited by Aleitalyyy
  • Upvote 1

On 8/1/2021 at 2:14 PM, Aleitalyyy said:

@ GottmitAlex alex i'd like to see your beccariophoenix now now ....

It's nothing to write home about.

It's older than the coconuts, however it's overwhelmed and dwarfed by the juvenile coconuts. 

It's growing slowly but surely.

You can see in the pics how the huge coco fronds are above the beccariophoenix.

Coconuts are very fast growing palms. They are rockets.

IMG_20210802_180347_1.jpg

IMG_20210802_180333_1.jpg

Here are a couple of coconuts: (last pic)

IMG_20210802_181520_1.jpg

• Upvote 3

Coconut palms grow faster in the right temperature,, humidity and light.. But their temperature bracket for their best performance is narrow between 21  degrees celcius (70 Fahrenheit) to 30 degrees celcius (86 Fahrenheit). Above 32 degrees celcius most tropical plants have a drastic fall in rate of photosynthesis due to heat stress and closure of the stomata on the underside of the leaves. Most people unfortunately think the more heat the merrier but that isn't so. Some might say "but during heatwave my plants grown quite fast" true but that growth would have happened mostly during night time when temperatures go back down to 30 degrees celcius (86 Fahrenheit) or slightly below.. I move my potted coconut palms to North facing when sun temperatures start exceeding 30 degrees celcius (86 Fahrenheit) and roughly shade temperatures are somewhere near 25-26 degrees celcius (77-79 degrees celcius) 

• Upvote 1

Most of the temperature in your area in Tijuana is very good for coconut.. Only the low desert like daytime humidity is the problem 

3 hours ago, Maltese coconut project said:

Most of the temperature in your area in Tijuana is very good for coconut.. Only the low desert like daytime humidity is the problem 

It's the same as San Diego weather. (East San Diego to be exact: 12-14 Miles east of the coast) 32.51°N. That's why I usually refer to the climate in my posts as "San Diego/Tijuana region". My garden is very close to the US(San Diego)/MEX(Tijuana) border.

And yes, our high temps take a toll on the coconuts. In fact I have stated before that coconuts here acquire more damage throughout the summer than during the winter. 95F+( to 108F)

I understand.. That's they same problem in Malta. In fact I recommend keeping in the pot for the first two years just like the Australian lady on the YouTube video that you recently shared here says. It's because when sun temperatures reach above 30 degrees celcius,, heat stress kicks in.. I keep most of my coconut palms on the rooftop except for the two experimental ones near the door bell.. I move my rooftop coconut palms from South facing to North facing under big wall on the last trimester of May and move them back south facing roughly in the end of September (I am going to discover the exact date this year because last year I just did it in the end of September but back then didn't have thermometers installed on the rooftop. These are temperature screen shots in Malta just now in both celcius and Fahrenheit 

Screenshot_2021-08-03-13-44-46-422_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-03-13-44-52-594_com.android.chrome.jpg

I see it does really get hot over there. I suggest giving them shade.

But if you really want them to acquire "hardiness": plant them. And of course, protect them the first 3 years.  While in pots they will be weak. Of course, relocating the pots help them in the short term, but will not be enough for them to acquire cold hardiness as being planted in the ground.

• Upvote 1

The pots are quite big (42 litre).  They are currently North facing and receive 3 hours sunrise sun till 10am and 3 hours sunset sun. The bigger specimens lived through our 2020-2021 winter with only a South facing wall on their backs.  They are very well cared for and growing really fast. If the construction which is being carried out behind the wall of our back garden is completed by summer 2022 I will plant in the garden 

• Upvote 1

In the meantime why does weather report in Tijuana marks this temperature? Is this incorrect? 

Screenshot_2021-08-03-14-11-42-280_com.android.chrome.jpg

Well done. That would be west Tijuana (beach side). Those temps, just as downtown San Diego are common. (maritime influence, etc).

My Garten ist on the east side. Almost 14 miles inland from the beach....

Those weather forecasts are for coastal TJ/SD

IMG_20210803_053149_1.jpg

34 minutes ago, Maltese coconut project said:

The pots are quite big (42 litre).  They are currently North facing and receive 3 hours sunrise sun till 10am and 3 hours sunset sun. The bigger specimens lived through our 2020-2021 winter with only a South facing wall on their backs.  They are very well cared for and growing really fast. If the construction which is being carried out behind the wall of our back garden is completed by summer 2022 I will plant in the garden 

Ok. Just remember, the sooner you plant them, the stronger they will become. (Yes, protect them the first 2-3 years)

• Upvote 1

Just now, 3 Milesfrom Gulf of Mexico said:

I apply 10lbs. of Epsom salt once a year to my coconut tree.  

2F8D8722-ABFA-486E-A78A-7768D9A7CC53_1_105_c.jpeg

051F4ECE-E93F-4A10-87EF-A828FF619477_1_105_c.jpeg

Wunderbar! 

• Upvote 1

I understand. On the other hand I live in Attard the centre of Malta, but that makes it just anywhere between 9.5 to 14 km away from the sea and those distances are because of road bends to actual geographical distances are shorter 

They're will be soon 2 years old, one in October and the second in January.  I will keep them in pots till the construction behind us is finished. Then in the ground.. Possibly I might buy agricultural land but that one I will yet have to decide. I am not too much in hurry for planting in the ground. I fertilize them very well both with slow release and water soluble fertiliser 

But then if you live 3 miles off gulf of mexico, you have borderline between subtropical and tropical weather I guess... 

5 minutes ago, Maltese coconut project said:

But then if you live 3 miles off gulf of mexico, you have borderline between subtropical and tropical weather I guess... 

Pardon? You mean if my garden were 100 Miles south and right by the gulf of California (Gulf of Cortez), they may thrive.. who knows... 

Some folks have cocos at 28 degrees north.  And yes, by the gulf of Cortez (golfo di california)

• Upvote 1

Ok. 6:30AM

Last teaser before a full insight video on the 29th of August (5 year anniversary) 

(I'm off to work in San Diego)

gute Morgen!

IMG_20210803_064533_1.jpg

• Upvote 3

28 degrees North should be desert area and close to the horse latitude. But then if it's very near coast, humidity might be quite good 

I am truly surprised that Eastern Tijuana which is in the 32 degrees North latitude and same latitude as Tripoli (which is even hotter) has a very near climate similar to Malta (35. 9 degrees north latitude) compared to their respective latitudes except that we have slightly more precipitation ranging from 400mm to 570 mm annually lately favouring the low side. I think this is because below is  the very huge Sahara desert. Luckily the Mediterranean Sea compensates and gives us more humidity too and keeps us warm during autumn /fall.  Anyway latitude isn't the only factor that affects climate. Also in the US, the desert doesn't stretch to the Eastern half unlike the Sahara in line with the Arabian desert which stretches so far from the Atlantic to the Indian ocean with the two together