IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Anthurium craze and repotting Anthurium magnificum

piping plovers

Temps are dipping to the low 50s F. for next few nights here in New England. Fantastic weather for humans :) daily highs/lows of 72 / 52 degrees F.  However,  I’m thinking it’s getting too chilly for my anthuriums at night so i brought them indoors today and they have taken over one of the sunrooms.   Additionally, I got irritated with insects outdoors eating the young foliage, ruining the symmetry of the beautiful developing foliage- so, another reason to bring them indoors.  This sunroom has a jacuzzi-type tub that we never use. If I keep a few inches of water in the tub below it has been keeping humidity above 60% and the room temperatures stay 60  - 80 degrees F. in this sunroom year round.  Lower humidity levels occur once the heating goes on in the cold months. Added some sheer curtains to filter the afternoon sun.

538F6447-2111-4CAC-9D71-524DB9FBAFE8.thumb.jpeg.884aec0e91f230b2b6e288ed869a2901.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Nice tub LOL. 52 nice for humans? God I'd need my heavy coat! Raining raining raining here, we have a tree down on the road resting but not bisecting (yet) the power line to all 5 homes on our road.....roots just gave up and it toppled, waiting for the power company now to come cut it off the line. In the meantime, I have this variegated seedling that popped out on a seed from my A. besseae x magnificum to stare at dreamily LOL. Hope it sticks

IMG_0717.jpg

• Like 1

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

lol, always amusing seeing the Florida  snow bird tourists in shorts and the Floridians in jackets when I visit south FL in December and it happens to be a chilly week. 

Yes, I hope that variegation sticks on your cross. Fascinating.

I just noticed A. besseae available from ecuagenera and they are very attractive.  I don’t yet have A. Regale and I may place another order for these two before shipping gets too cold here.

Their Besseae should be labeled Besseae aff. It has not been established (as far as I know but I am not always in the loop) that it is a 'true besseae'. I have one, I got it in a trade. The person that traded it to me got 5 when they were offered the first time (they were definitely cheaper then LOL) and traded me one. This is what it looks like. My A. besseae x magnificum was purchased already as a hybrid, years and years ago from Hawaii. The seedlings I have from it now are further hybrids, baby daddy unknown LOL mongrels I made. TBH, to ME personally, this besseae aff is very nice. Its dark, has nice form, and seems easy to grow. But I am not sure I would have bought it for the prices they are asking.. . Its surprisingly similar to my Ace of Spades and also to some of the forms of my really variable papillilaminum. Its another dark velvet heart shape leaf. Some people may not be able to get enough of them...but if you've seen one...you know the old saying

IMG_0711.JPG

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Marie Nock said:

Here's a photo of my Anth. besseae with its second seed batch of the year.  The first was selfed; the second crossed with A. papillaminum.

Anthurium besseae.html 2.09 MB · 4 downloads

For some reason I am not able to see it. Its nice to see you post here...my friend Michael Mattlage was down to see you last season and brought me a specimen of your whole leaf Lasia spinosa. I love it so much!

I don't know about A. besseae the true species, but besseae aff. gets a gorgeous red new leaf that very slowly greens up. I grew this leaf from a fresh stem cutting I purchased on eBay for just $55. I believe it was from a plant sourced from Ecuagenera. I'm loving this Anthurium show and tell! More, please! :yay:

bessaff.jpg

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

10 hours ago, metalfan said:

Their Besseae should be labeled Besseae aff. It has not been established (as far as I know but I am not always in the loop) that it is a 'true besseae'. I have one, I got it in a trade. The person that traded it to me got 5 when they were offered the first time (they were definitely cheaper then LOL) and traded me one. This is what it looks like. My A. besseae x magnificum was purchased already as a hybrid, years and years ago from Hawaii. The seedlings I have from it now are further hybrids, baby daddy unknown LOL mongrels I made. TBH, to ME personally, this besseae aff is very nice. Its dark, has nice form, and seems easy to grow.

Ah okay, I needed to educate myself on the “aff” after reading yours and Missi’s posts. I don’t ever remember that from nomenclature lessons years ago.  So, is there really a species bessae but the horticultural trade stock has become so corrupted with crosses that no one feels like they can claim a plant is the actual species without testing? Or maybe too many obstacles to going back to the jungle and obtaining a fresh one to propagate nursery stock with integrity?

That is a very nice plant photo, metalfan, very clean lines on the dark foliage.  If that is an aff then that is worth owning. I just looked up ecuagenera and they do list it as Aff.

6 hours ago, Missi said:

I don't know about A. besseae the true species, but besseae aff. gets a gorgeous red new leaf that very slowly greens up. I grew this leaf from a fresh stem cutting I purchased on eBay for just $55. I believe it was from a plant sourced from Ecuagenera. I'm loving this Anthurium show and tell! More, please! :yay:

a good purchase there Missi.  Beautiful color on that leaf.

• Like 1

Thanks.  Sorry about the calcium residue on the leaf from our well.

A. besseae was the seed bearing parent in the hybrid nicknamed Circus Peanuts which in many ways looks like a giant besseae - leaf size is about 4 times that of besseae.

Anth Circus Peanuts.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, metalfan said:

For some reason I am not able to see it. Its nice to see you post here...my friend Michael Mattlage was down to see you last season and brought me a specimen of your whole leaf Lasia spinosa. I love it so much!

Yes, we had a nice visit and walk-through.  Glad you're enjoying the Lasia.  Are you growing it in water?

5 minutes ago, Marie Nock said:

Yes, we had a nice visit and walk-through.  Glad you're enjoying the Lasia.  Are you growing it in water?

Yes. I have been growing probably the most standard form of the divided leaf here outside since about 2007. They are hardy here, if grown in a pond. The top growth has on occasion been knocked back, but as long as the matt is intact they grow back almost as soon as the cold is over. I have the entire leaf in a tub garden right now, its still small enough that I will take it into the greenhouse this winter, until I am certain I have enough to risk it outside. Mike invited me to come down with him to see you and go on plant jaunts farther South on multiple occasions, but I have not really travelled more that about 2 hours away from home for probably 10 years or more. Travel is just beyond me now.  He is still young LOL he thinks I am silly. But I would love to see you place.

14 minutes ago, Marie Nock said:

Thanks.  Sorry about the calcium residue on the leaf from our well.

A. besseae was the seed bearing parent in the hybrid nicknamed Circus Peanuts which in many ways looks like a giant besseae - leaf size is about 4 times that of besseae.

Anth Circus Peanuts.jpg

Ahhh Circus Peanuts! Barry Schwartz is always having hybrids with this it seems. I love this plant.

2 hours ago, Missi said:

I'd love to add Circus Peanuts to my collection! :wub:

me too but i know i can't afford it

• Like 1

21 hours ago, metalfan said:

me too but i know i can't afford it

I hear you there, friend!! :wacko::unsure:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Intensive care for my Anthurium pendens Ecuagenera.  

This was a real beauty of a starter plant for me; Ecuagenera sent me an amazing specimen for the price it but quickly went downhill after receiving a few months ago.  First photo below is when I received it.  I pottted it and my A. Pallidiflorum in separate pots but hung them in same wooden basket. The pallidiflorum is doing well but the pendens never took off.  I noticed leaves develop necrotic areas soon after and in past 2 weeks issue progressed quickly, lost the remaining leaves, looks like a bacterial squishy area at petiole.

I have only the Chonk now with maybe alive roots?  The white powder is rooting hormone sprinkled.  I put it in a plastic box which I hope doesn’t become it’s coffin :( and added barely moist sphagnum with perlite.  I’m also keeping under light during eves. Do you think this process is a good idea?  I keep the box open for air circulation. I noticed some YouTubers doing this in air tight plastic clear boxes for rooting chonks but that seem like it would rot the chonk.  Precisely what I don’t need.

Photos below of surviving piece, the box and leaf.

BF7B1234-8E15-4968-BF89-082B7DCF4237.thumb.jpeg.8349ad89972c77c1e87d0bbf0e09ae35.jpeg

9B33B037-2F34-4E2C-B3C3-3921E97234FE.thumb.jpeg.411488821f6c53fdf9574e405cd9eeaa.jpeg

1FC75611-6C0C-4007-8E04-ACAAB7F6D48C.thumb.jpeg.44e1279b1b307c44c4a607b801420a35.jpeg

EA647F1E-3E8D-40C7-9978-3FFCBC30AD4C.thumb.jpeg.07ff9f86e92c683ef48b71dedb839089.jpeg

Edited by piping plovers
Forgot something

I believe I see a lot of rotted roots there. If you clean all the moss off carefully you would be able to debride the rotted roots off and that might spur it to produce some new healthy roots. Its always hard for me to offer advice for stuff like the box. If I have a leafless, rootless stem cutting or a leafless rooted base. I place it in moss in a clear plastic drinking cup with holes cut in the bottom for drainage, and leave it open on top. I guess maybe that is because I have adequate humidity that I don't need to create a 'prop box'. My thought about that has always been, its a recipe for rot in and of itself. But some people swear by the technique. I am sorry you are having this issue with it and I hope it recovers. If you remove the rotten dead roots, you might want to treat the while thing with fungicide.

19 minutes ago, metalfan said:

I believe I see a lot of rotted roots there. If you clean all the moss off carefully you would be able to debride the rotted roots off and that might spur it to produce some new healthy roots. Its always hard for me to offer advice for stuff like the box. If I have a leafless, rootless stem cutting or a leafless rooted base. I place it in moss in a clear plastic drinking cup with holes cut in the bottom for drainage, and leave it open on top. I guess maybe that is because I have adequate humidity that I don't need to create a 'prop box'. My thought about that has always been, its a recipe for rot in and of itself. But some people swear by the technique. I am sorry you are having this issue with it and I hope it recovers. If you remove the rotten dead roots, you might want to treat the while thing with fungicide.

Thank you.  I’ll go ahead and do that today after picking up some fungicide.

I just perpetrated this piece of plant madness today. I've had this Anthurium (sold as Regale but I believe its a hybrid) for over a year now. It came attached to a huge piece of meristem. I let it get some size on and to day I separated the plant from the stem, potted it back up and also potted the rooted base in moss to see if I can get it to give me another plant

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, metalfan said:

I just perpetrated this piece of plant madness today. I've had this Anthurium (sold as Regale but I believe its a hybrid) for over a year now. It came attached to a huge piece of meristem. I let it get some size on and to day I separated the plant from the stem, potted it back up and also potted the rooted base in moss to see if I can get it to give me another plant.

Metalfan, what a great root system.  Good seeing what HEALTHY roots look like on a cutting after dealing with my rotted one today.

interesting that the leaf in middle left of 1st pic looks  more like Regale and the other 3 look more like crystallinum.

placed an order for my 1st Regale a few days ago.  I liked the Stripes variety on ecuagenera but it was not available.

Edited by piping plovers
Edit

The newest leaf looks very regale. But I think this is a hybrid, possibly with AOS or Crystallinum. This one did come from Ecuagenera, but its not the classic form. I also have these other 2, one from a trade, the other also from Ecuagenera

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0804.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just unpacked my last ecuagenera order for the year; weather is soon turning on the cold side for shipping in northeastern US. Further, I am running out of indoors room and the commercial greenhouse that normally boards some of my larger plants for the winter has reached capacity.  

From ecuagenera, I got some anthuriums that I were waitlisted; some repeats and some new to me.  After 10 months into anthuriums I have my top 10 and some serendipitous ones I just had to have along the journey :). Ecuagenera has fantastic customer service; they really worked with me to get in this last chance order for the year.

photos below:

1. the anthurium menagerie 

2. Anthurium pendens Ecuagenera .  I thought I’d have 2 now, but lost my other one ——had rot issues from the start.  I will not lose this one.  

3. Anthurium eminens. I’m worried about the arrival condition of this one. 

4. Anthurium worocqueanum.  Have 2 already but Finally got an ecuagenera one!! Waitlist for months.  Nice roots.

5.  Anthurium forgetii white stripes.  Striking contrast.

6. Anthurium veitchii .  Have 3 already but Finally got an ecuagenera one!! Waitlist for months.  They went out of their way to find this; much appreciated.  Great root system,

7. Anthurium salgarense.  Unfamiliar with these but am Fascinated with online photos of mature specimens.

8.  Anthurium regale .  So pleased with the size of this one.

A337294B-4A5D-4762-9C3D-17F9091BEE4D.thumb.jpeg.43464eef7c6b0ed0a1258449fd537438.jpeg1865C80F-F572-414F-ADAB-C6E589946EEE.thumb.jpeg.10db8d44e34f422df6bc1d89f44445d8.jpeg48295F47-9E33-4A1A-9214-F11C2D4356B9.thumb.jpeg.25d738ba6fbaa01770c2df0a6b27f9c5.jpeg7F3285C6-46CA-4038-B8F7-C36555108312.thumb.jpeg.237ab3e31617704c9baad0511c96cbf7.jpegBF56884D-F43F-45CB-AEE5-7638E16E1FD5.thumb.jpeg.529a07ad33b298e478bb41796bf830c7.jpeg5B4B8704-A3FC-4671-99C2-5F56362B73AD.thumb.jpeg.8728c31a34a1e42b6cf4eb5fd41dc70a.jpegBA2F6698-9AF8-458E-9381-001B44CA83AB.thumb.jpeg.36b7bae87c6970a6bca437db9f1ad99f.jpegA085D918-183C-4E93-96F7-408F8378571D.thumb.jpeg.81033218875495a9f1b3599cf8e138b7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am so done with these high prices so I have been going to the flee market every other Sunday and selling anthuriums super cheap because I don’t think you should have to pay hundreds for a plant. Pic is my bestie at our stand and some pics with me for scale 

D1C437AF-156B-4253-A11A-D30B24873D68.jpeg

B139EB63-46EA-4BED-8EE6-E60D9A05EEEB.jpeg

F484B908-3D7E-4373-A13A-60AE0758ABF8.jpeg

CA4B4312-F937-49AF-94EA-3771F1B470A3.jpeg

FCBBA0CD-C219-4426-96E0-3F93EA556C18.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, John hovancsek said:

I am so done with these high prices so I have been going to the flee market every other Sunday and selling anthuriums super cheap because I don’t think you should have to pay hundreds for a plant. Pic is my bestie at our stand and some pics with me for scale 

That is very good of you.  Great selection of plants and some impressive leaf sizes as well.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

Funny that just an island away people would be mobbing you! Ive been slowly getting into anthuriums as well but am not inclined to pay the crazy prices for plants Im not sure I have the skills to grow.

I did find several small Thamatophyllum spruceanum recently at a reasonable price which seem to be hardy and doing well. They are eventually destined for landscape plants though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Here are some jaw dropping pics from the garden I collect seed from. This is one of the best guys I know.

22A824B5-AC40-4A9B-8802-A0D776DBEC65.jpeg

B1A8425C-2EA2-46FB-9031-CFDDF3E3D57A.jpeg

398E97AE-78D5-4813-A867-BE2D1ED58DA3.jpeg

287E571A-8438-4362-9E4D-DA7427386474.jpeg

99DED772-A296-4186-873C-70D2A08E90FB.jpeg

C3868B0F-6BCD-4D33-84D6-6836629DCBD1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have been selling seedlings from my plants that have gotten to be a good size locally for $30. I too agree that the prices are just bonkers and have been a while. We had a small Orchid Festival here last weekend, first real garden event we have had since the COVID lockdown. Ecuagenera came and had a booth, I got a few nice things...Philodendron luxurians, Anthurium versicolor, some orchids.

• Upvote 1

Harvested the first 6 berries off my Mama Warocqueanum this morning. 6 berries had a seed yield of 10 seeds. Hope they germinate!!!!! Never had berries from this plant before

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1263.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, metalfan said:

Harvested the first 6 berries off my Mama Warocqueanum this morning. 6 berries had a seed yield of 10 seeds. Hope they germinate!!!!! Never had berries from this plant before

IMG_1260.jpg

An impressive worocqueanum there! Best of luck with those seeds. I like the totem pole supports.

Yeah it is rooted to that pole. Growing up it like a climber LOL

12 minutes ago, metalfan said:

Yeah it is rooted to that pole. Growing up it like a climber LOL

Nice!  I started these mini moss poles for my small worocqueanums just to get the roots out of the pot to start climbing.  Bamboo, string and moss.  One is really doing well climbing through the moss but it had a good root system to start.  The one below; however, is barely limping along: one of my anthurium newbie mistakes - a very expensive barely rooted chonk with large leaves.  89E2F7C2-235C-44DC-B1A8-EE8CFD096518.thumb.jpeg.3e2b018bd0c5b629ecee2136bd54a13d.jpeg10EC95EF-DE66-4BC2-9E75-DF7E2CA01AE6.thumb.jpeg.b1de3ca48d1bc92c0a1adb4901a57929.jpegC8EA64C9-AE80-4272-8E04-5537A0BA3D34.thumb.jpeg.16e0dffef09701eb71d1c30d6241604a.jpeg

• Like 1

Just keep it very moist. I have another Queen that I need to start up a totem. I just erected 4 new ones for all the climbers I have collected this last season and am going to be spending considerable time getting them all situated on the supports during the off season.

On 10/30/2021 at 5:08 AM, metalfan said:

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1263.JPG

These are slow for the first year and then they explode. Keep us up to date on how this goes