IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Anthurium craze and repotting Anthurium magnificum

piping plovers

33 minutes ago, amh said:

Pumpkin spice season is coming.

Already here in Phoenix. ..For a couple hundred bucks, you could buy a pair of jeans that make it look like you had an accident too..  A sucker for anything i guess, lol.

• Like 2

Yeah, the whole millennial instagram "rare aroid" hypebeast thing is pretty annoying and often quite toxic...but can be pretty lucrative if you can gauge the market. I mean if I can sell aroids on the side to buy more palms and tropical fruit trees...why not :P

• Like 2

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Does this appear to be anthurium spectabile?  One of the strapleafs from Marie Selby garden with the tag too high to read. I’d like to add one of these to my collection.

CEEEBDD1-FD89-474C-9725-C6E95F417849.thumb.jpeg.7715e90e617042e4a1e9a3dcff493248.jpeg19AEB572-A025-4C2B-BB47-2CC048CCD5DA.thumb.jpeg.b87067781eb10ef9ef0b7f2d70763bbe.jpegB237B03D-BC45-4BFC-BF57-07B651A5FE4C.thumb.jpeg.9fcc4d20d50064e9fdebdb1000d111a6.jpeg079020FD-9EAD-4AE0-9058-BC26961B21C7.thumb.jpeg.ddf7ff8e5920d4335b805bd12b92c44d.jpeg

• Like 1

Kind of looks like mine....but a little more narrow. That. however, could be age. Mine is almost 20 years old, and I should have hung it up years ago but didn't, so now its a huge monster in a 35 gallon container. Mine has been positively ID'd as a spectabile. Leaves are 4+ ft long.Her name is Big Georgina. I have berries with seeds ripening very soon, if you'd be interested. True spectabile is hard to find, a year or so ago I was told by one of the curators of the aroid collection at Fairchild that is is actually quite rare. Only a few specimens are known to be in the collections of botanical gardens in the US...MOBOT has one. There are a few specimens scattered in some older botanical gardens in Europe. But most are housed in the private collections of long term private collectors, like me. Spectabile was imported in the late 199o's/early 2000's. It was placed in tissue culture by a nursery in South FL and grown up to size and offered for sale. It did not sell, apparently. (I bought one, but not many people did) SO the TC was discontinued. And never revived since. I donated a nice specimen to Fairchild, and have since made it my mission to disseminate seeds so it can be propagated and sort of reintroduced. I am sure that there are probably some people importing them again in small quantities, but since everyone is so seemingly focused on the Cardiolonchiums (velvet leaves) the other forms tend to get a shorter shrift.

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_3938.jpg

• Like 1

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

These are what the berries look liken the spadix 

IMG_6607.JPG

• Like 2

On 8/27/2021 at 8:07 AM, metalfan said:

Kind of looks like mine....but a little more narrow. That. however, could be age. Mine is almost 20 years old, and I should have hung it up years ago but didn't, so now its a huge monster in a 35 gallon container. Mine has been positively ID'd as a spectabile. Leaves are 4+ ft long.Her name is Big Georgina. I have berries with seeds ripening very soon, if you'd be interested. True spectabile is hard to find, a year or so ago I was told by one of the curators of the aroid collection at Fairchild that is is actually quite rare. Only a few specimens are known to be in the collections of botanical gardens in the US...MOBOT has one. There are a few specimens scattered in some older botanical gardens in Europe. But most are housed in the private collections of long term private collectors, like me. Spectabile was imported in the late 199o's/early 2000's. It was placed in tissue culture by a nursery in South FL and grown up to size and offered for sale. It did not sell, apparently. (I bought one, but not many people did) SO the TC was discontinued. And never revived since. I donated a nice specimen to Fairchild, and have since made it my mission to disseminate seeds so it can be propagated and sort of reintroduced. I am sure that there are probably some people importing them again in small quantities, but since everyone is so seemingly focused on the Cardiolonchiums (velvet leaves) the other forms tend to get a shorter shrift.

Metalfan, that’s a real education on this species. Thank you.  And Big Georgina is very impressive indeed.  

When I posted the other evening I began researching the species and found on DavesGarden website information similar to what you mentioned and that most spectabile circulating in Florida are actually hybrids. The online information I found about the pseudospectabile species on other sites seemed confusing. Both species are very striking and  similar in appearance to me.  

Anyhow, I was confident enough that the plant I was asking about at Selby was indeed a spectabile and I ordered one from Hawaii that evening.  Not sure if truly the species or a hybrid but photos are showing the early characteristics I appreciated in the Selby garden specimen.  It is large enough to have spathes but nowhere as large as your specimen.

And yes, I’d be glad to join in and help keep the line and integrity of the spectabile going in the private collections.  Please feel free to PM me for any purchase/mailing details when the seeds are ready to go! Thanks.

Also, interesting hearing that the cardiolonchiums are a grouping in the anthuriums or aroids.

Psuedospectabile is even harder to get a real specimen of.  At the same time that I bought my spectabile, I also bought a pseudospectabile (but from another vendor, not the same one). Which later became apparent it is not a pseudospectabile. It is a hybrid, but we are not sure between which plants. At first, some aroid botanists I consulted had the idea it might be a form of the hybrid 'Big Splash'. But then it bloomed and actually set fruit, and the berries do not indicate Big Splash. Big Splash produces red fruit. This plant produces orange pointy fruit, much like spectabile. There are a few other large growing pendants that produce orange spiky fruit....nervatum, colonicum are 2. The new thought is that perhaps I have a hybrid between either spectabile or pseudospectabile and one of these others, most probably nervatum. Like Spectabile, this is an almost 20 year old plant, which I ave divided into 3 over time. Leaves are 3-4 ft long but very different in morphology.

IMG_2066.jpg

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2087.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/29/2021 at 7:59 AM, metalfan said:

Psuedospectabile is even harder to get a real specimen of.  At the same time that I bought my spectabile, I also bought a pseudospectabile (but from another vendor, not the same one). Which later became apparent it is not a pseudospectabile. It is a hybrid, but we are not sure between which plants. At first, some aroid botanists I consulted had the idea it might be a form of the hybrid 'Big Splash'. But then it bloomed and actually set fruit, and the berries do not indicate Big Splash. Big Splash produces red fruit. This plant produces orange pointy fruit, much like spectabile. There are a few other large growing pendants that produce orange spiky fruit....nervatum, colonicum are 2. The new thought is that perhaps I have a hybrid between either spectabile or pseudospectabile and one of these others, most probably nervatum. Like Spectabile, this is an almost 20 year old plant, which I ave divided into 3 over time. Leaves are 3-4 ft long but very different in morphology.

I knew you would have one Metalfan.  Yes, striking foliage on that one too.  The first photo reminded me of calla lily leaf texture.  The other photos really show the length of those leaves.   Yes, I’ll be satisfied with my spectabile.  Arrives Friday from Hawaii and hopefully no delay over holiday weekend.

This is the only aroid I bought yesterday at the Ecuagenera open house. There were 1000's of plants, but I mainly went for miniature orchids. But this was I think $260 or $280 on their website a couple weeks ago, and was $150 yesterday, with 20% off $120. I figured I would never get one at that price again, so....Anthurium peltigerum. Met Ivan Portilla, he gave me personal cultural advice for it.

IMG_0528.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Can someone help me with the name of this one? I got it as anthurium sp and it is one of my favorites in my collection 

8EC89E79-31DD-43C6-AFAE-5D97D13F9EF4.jpeg

E0B7A5FC-6C8A-46F4-882D-00050B9732FD.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

Can someone help me with the name of this one? I got it as anthurium sp and it is one of my favorites in my collection 

I don’t know but Im waiting for someone who does.  That is a fascinating form. Almost like the scheffelera and anthurium genus each arrived at the same idea for a cool way to capture light :)

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, metalfan said:

This is the only aroid I bought yesterday at the Ecuagenera open house. There were 1000's of plants, but I mainly went for miniature orchids. But this was I think $260 or $280 on their website a couple weeks ago, and was $150 yesterday, with 20% off $120. I figured I would never get one at that price again, so....Anthurium peltigerum. Met Ivan Portilla, he gave me personal cultural advice for it.

IMG_0528.jpg

Very nice acquisition and for a good deal.

yeah it was on the fresh import table. The cheaper table for people who I guess ***think***they can rehab plants LOL. The Luxurians on this table (unspotted) were $300. The Lux potted and established were $500. Go figure. This plant had great roots....could not go wrong. It was a deal, for sure. Unless of course, you consider that the FIRST Peltigerum that I had years ago cost...like...$30?

• Like 1

My anthurium spectabile finally arrived today in good condition; all the way from Hawaii to New England.  Very pleased with the roots on this and also the nice leaves.  After seeing one of these for the first time a few weeks ago at Selby gardens I’m so glad to now own one.  Potted it in a wooden orchid basket.

3631E0E2-1EA3-42AF-A997-8FA2D439FEDA.thumb.jpeg.84b1ba1c3f777c082e28fe03a39e282e.jpegBB5784C4-BCB7-4105-82CB-E92C0B70A359.thumb.jpeg.752906e8b93a5864dd981ac562808d8b.jpegF38B3675-B326-4E2F-92E8-780B9D792431.thumb.jpeg.2c14a15682ebfde69238cf4ba8e6afdf.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, piping plovers said:

My anthurium spectabile finally arrived today in good condition; all the way from Hawaii to New England.  Very pleased with the roots on this and also the nice leaves.  After seeing one of these for the first time a few weeks ago at Selby gardens I’m so glad to now own one.  Potted it in a wooden orchid basket.

3631E0E2-1EA3-42AF-A997-8FA2D439FEDA.thumb.jpeg.84b1ba1c3f777c082e28fe03a39e282e.jpegBB5784C4-BCB7-4105-82CB-E92C0B70A359.thumb.jpeg.752906e8b93a5864dd981ac562808d8b.jpegF38B3675-B326-4E2F-92E8-780B9D792431.thumb.jpeg.2c14a15682ebfde69238cf4ba8e6afdf.jpeg

These are everywhere here in Hawaii and think these should be appreciated more. I have several around the garden and hope you enjoy it as much as I have.  They are prolific seeders 

On 9/4/2021 at 2:11 AM, metalfan said:

IMG_0528.jpg

I purchased one a few years ago for 19.99$ and it died because of my neglect and now I haven’t been able to find one at a reasonable price because of this craze . 

Yeah this is my second go around with this plant. Had one years ago but lost it

• Upvote 1

I traded an Anthurium papillilaminum and an Anthurium Ace of Spades to a friend a few years ago. Since that time we have been trading seeds back and forth. This week, he sent me some seeds from a cross between the 2 plants I traded to him....very exciting! But he also slipped this 'little surprise' into my box. Its a STUNNER even as a seedling....photos do not do it justice....Anthurium cirinoi x warocqueanum. Shiney dark velvety leaves..the best of both plants. I have both of these in my collection...I will defINITELY be trying to cross them in the future

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, metalfan said:

I traded an Anthurium papillilaminum and an Anthurium Ace of Spades to a friend a few years ago. Since that time we have been trading seeds back and forth. This week, he sent me some seeds from a cross between the 2 plants I traded to him....very exciting! But he also slipped this 'little surprise' into my box. Its a STUNNER even as a seedling....photos do not do it justice....Anthurium cirinoi x warocqueanum. Shiney dark velvety leaves..the best of both plants. I have both of these in my collection...I will defINITELY be trying to cross them in the future

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

Small World Gina - we did that cross in our garden last year and sold the seeds to quite a few people. The plants are all about that size now. If it is from our crop, here is the Mother A. cirinoi. Notice the dollar bill for scale.

cirinoi with scale.jpg

• Like 3

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

The more I grow them the more I like anthuriums...

Glad I got a few nice ones before the prices skyrocketed!  

I used to go to the Aroid show at Fairchild Gardens and the Ecuagenera booth first at all the plant sales and ask Ivan to recommend something that might grow well for me and not be easily available elsewhere. 

I think my maximum was about $40, all long before COVID.

Thanks for all the photos and information on PT!

That’s an exciting cross Dean!

Cindy Adair

@Dypsisdeanmy pal may very well have gotten the seeds from you! I have a very small cirinoi. Has not even bloomed yet...got it in a trade. I have been trying to pollinate my big Warocq for a while now, can't seem to get it to take any pollen. Even when its clearly receptive. I **think** I got some of its pollen to take on a forgetii...I have a few ForgetiiX seedlings that are coming up with narrow elongated leaves. I have tried all the Cardiolonchiums I have on my warocq...forgetii, magnificum, besseae x magnificum, crystallinum, villenaorum, Mehani (mag x (radicans x lux) x crystallinum...the original from the Indian import in the mid-2000's not the Ken's knockoff...papillilaminum...I even tried watermaliense LOL nothing.

@Cindy Adair I know right? The IAS show and sale is going on today! I never go to that or to the Ramble anymore....travelling to Miami is beyond me and has been for several years. But I have a friend here who goes every year. He brings stuff back and we share. Ecuagenera being in Apopka now has been fun....I've been down several times. Met Ivan twice when he was in town. They are hinting that the may come to the Gainesville fall orchid extravaganza that is held every year at the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens. It got cancelled last year because of Covid. And the Spring Garden Fest there has been cancelled these last 2 years for the same reason. Hopefully things will turn around and they will be able to have it again next spring.

Even though I have been growing aroids for years and years, this new aspect of the hobby, hybridizing and growing from seed, has brought a whole new level of fun into it for me. I have been losing patience for all the younger set on the Facebook pages for a while. People who are driving up the prices of plants and think they are automatic experts on every subject after growing a few plants as houseplants for a year. I find myself leaving more and more groups on there because TBH my focus is not selling, its growing. And there is just too much attitude on there for me anymore.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

Small World Gina - we did that cross in our garden last year and sold the seeds to quite a few people. The plants are all about that size now. If it is from our crop, here is the Mother A. cirinoi. Notice the dollar bill for scale.

cirinoi with scale.jpg

My friend said the seeds he grew came from Angela Blakely in HI. Are you affiliated?

13 hours ago, metalfan said:

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

Shiney and velvet, this will be real interesting to watch developing mature leaves.  Please post more as this one develops.

8 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

cirinoi with scale.jpg

Wonderful foiliage on that one and thanks for including the dollar bill for scale; helps to appreciate the size of those leaves.

On 9/4/2021 at 11:54 AM, John hovancsek said:

Do you think this could be A. eminens? or  A. kunthii?  or A.  polyschistum?  Looks very simiar to photos I am seeing for eminens.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, piping plovers said:

Do you think this could be A. eminens? or  A. kunthii?  or A.  polyschistum?  Looks very simiar to photos I am seeing for eminens.

I have aa 3 of those not its not any of them

43 minutes ago, metalfan said:

I have aa 3 of those not its not any of them

As I was researching these I just noticed that ecuagenera has eminens available.  Just my luck…I placed an ecuagenera order two days ago and missed this.  :( Oh well,  in my shopping cart for next time…

This is my eminent and it came from Ecuagenera over a year ago. This will attach to something and climb Second photo is polyschistum third is kunthii. All 3 can and will climb

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

5 minutes ago, metalfan said:

This is my eminent and it came from Ecuagenera over a year ago. This will attach to something and climb Second photo is polyschistum third is kunthii. All 3 can and will climb

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

That polyschistum is a very attractive form; I will add that to my wishlist. Metalfan, you must be  at or nearing status to qualify as an anthurium botanical garden. Thanks for sharing those photos.

8 hours ago, metalfan said:

My friend said the seeds he grew came from Angela Blakely in HI. Are you affiliated?

If you can call a fiancé affiliated. :)

And it really is Angela - Anjali is a FaceBook moniker.

Quite a few people are commenting favorably about this cross and wanting more.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

9 hours ago, metalfan said:

OOhhhhhh she is pretty gorgeous....you are a lucky guy!

Yep - in many ways. :)

She wants me to tell you to get it on a pole. Like most anthuriums, the leaves if attached, will get soooooo much bigger. Everyone thinks poles are just for philos. But most love to attach and climb if given the opportunity.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

I have some that are on supports. My big Queen is mossed to a pole, and I have a very large Cupulispathum x pedatum that is attached to a Caryota palm trunk. My polyschistum, eminens, kunthii and polydactylum also grow on supports. I will attach this one too! And my cirinoi, when it gets big enough. I grow a few veitchii mounted, one in a tree and one on a big totem. Also have a mounted vittariifolium. I like the look of them that way!

This is such a great anthurium (Cirinoi). I just wish the slugs didn’t love it , I put bait down but they still managed to eat holes in the leaf. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 8:11 AM, metalfan said:

IMG_0528.jpg

I love Ivan! He and his wife are so sweet!! Met them at the 2019 IAS show at Fairchild....which is when I picked up my A. peltigerum seedling from them (it was only $40 back then :wacko: but much smaller than your beautiful specimen). I tried to grow it outside of a humidity tent, but the new leaves would refuse to unfurl. It's quickly outgrowing the humidity tent. Would you be so kind as to share the tips he shared with you? I'm wondering if I can EVER grow it outside of a humid tent...

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Not the best pic, but the most recent. She didn't do a lot of growing until I put her in the humidity tent last year. I have since got a stronger grow light (Soltech Solutions Vita), since this is out on my fully-roofed lanai, and hope she'll turn her leaves down more vertical as they should be. 

ap.jpg

• Like 2

Missi, Ivan told me that I should grow it in the highest humidity I could, in deep shade, in an extremely well draining mix, and it loves heat.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, metalfan said:

Missi, Ivan told me that I should grow it in the highest humidity I could, in deep shade, in an extremely well draining mix, and it loves heat.

Ah, thank you so much!! Maybe mine would have a deeper green if I grew it with a weaker grow light, but I found the leaves were moving in search of light!