IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Patio Squad

JohnAndSancho

Cat palm refuses to die @ZPalms It's probably horribly over potted now that it's down to 2 stems but they're growing. Spear pulled the 3rd and sprayed it with copper fungicide 

GBOP that I bought because it was unlabeled and thought it was a Travelers Palm is blowing up. Didn't like it at first once I found out what it is, but I love how the leaves kind of fold in and remind me that it's time to water everybody.

Spindly Bob's new frond. I didn't Sharpie it but it's moved a good 3 inches since the last photo. I rewarded him with some bamboo stakes since his favorite pastime is *blowing over in the slightest breeze and dumping soil everywhere" 

Also my fish emulsion/seaweed fertilizer smells horrible. It smells like a dumpster that caught c.diff out here. 

IMG_20220828_175417.jpg

IMG_20220828_175915.jpg

IMG_20220828_175451.jpg

IMG_20220828_175608.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Cat palm refuses to die @ZPalms It's probably horribly over potted now that it's down to 2 stems but they're growing. Spear pulled the 3rd and sprayed it with copper fungicide 

GBOP that I bought because it was unlabeled and thought it was a Travelers Palm is blowing up. Didn't like it at first once I found out what it is, but I love how the leaves kind of fold in and remind me that it's time to water everybody.

Spindly Bob's new frond. I didn't Sharpie it but it's moved a good 3 inches since the last photo. I rewarded him with some bamboo stakes since his favorite pastime is *blowing over in the slightest breeze and dumping soil everywhere" 

Also my fish emulsion/seaweed fertilizer smells horrible. It smells like a dumpster that caught c.diff out here. 

IMG_20220828_175417.jpg

IMG_20220828_175915.jpg

IMG_20220828_175451.jpg

IMG_20220828_175608.jpg

Maybe your cat palm wants some space away from the other plants, some breathing room but love that it's still alive though and not in the trash 😂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Today's dumpster yeetings. One of my A. Tuckerii seedlings looks and feels all dried out despite the soil being damp and the roots looking normal. 

I bought an L. Chinesis clump some time ago and never repotted or separated it. It only got light waterings since I didn't have a saucer for it, but I guess a couple months ago I put it in the shower and stuck it outside. It declined fast, and I figured out it was in a nursery pot inside a nursery pot inside a nursery pot inside a colored pot and it didn't drain worth a damn. So one by one they're spear pulling and somehow, seeds in this pot are still sprouting. I gave a big squirt of H2O2 into the pulled spears and it's draining bubbles out the bottom, so I'm not optimistic. 

Decided to go ahead and cut off the worst frond on the C. Benezeii... Man this thing looks awful, this plant was clearly not meant for months on end of 100 degree temps. Saw a crack in the trunk and it's trying to push out another spathe. Is the splitting like this normal? @DoomsDaveyou're the only other person on here that I know has one. 

Cleaned up lots of crispy bits off of everything else. Everybody else is pushing new growth like always, and it looks like it's time for me to start cutting the dead leaf bases off the Majesty.

I feel bad for neglecting them but I mean, they all grow in nature with no caretakers so *shrugs*

IMG_20221002_170046.jpg

IMG_20221002_170927.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Today's dumpster yeetings. One of my A. Tuckerii seedlings looks and feels all dried out despite the soil being damp and the roots looking normal. 

I bought an L. Chinesis clump some time ago and never repotted or separated it. It only got light waterings since I didn't have a saucer for it, but I guess a couple months ago I put it in the shower and stuck it outside. It declined fast, and I figured out it was in a nursery pot inside a nursery pot inside a nursery pot inside a colored pot and it didn't drain worth a damn. So one by one they're spear pulling and somehow, seeds in this pot are still sprouting. I gave a big squirt of H2O2 into the pulled spears and it's draining bubbles out the bottom, so I'm not optimistic. 

Decided to go ahead and cut off the worst frond on the C. Benezeii... Man this thing looks awful, this plant was clearly not meant for months on end of 100 degree temps. Saw a crack in the trunk and it's trying to push out another spathe. Is the splitting like this normal? @DoomsDaveyou're the only other person on here that I know has one. 

Cleaned up lots of crispy bits off of everything else. Everybody else is pushing new growth like always, and it looks like it's time for me to start cutting the dead leaf bases off the Majesty.

I feel bad for neglecting them but I mean, they all grow in nature with no caretakers so *shrugs*

IMG_20221002_170046.jpg

IMG_20221002_170927.jpg

Can you post full Monty pics of the benzei?

Congratulations on the new job!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

6 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Can you post full Monty pics of the benzei?

Congratulations on the new job!

I will snap one when I take Sancho out in a little bit. But it's rough....and ugly. Frustrating because it's probably the most expensive plant I have. 

Also thank you! I'm literally right next door from my last job 

@DoomsDaveI think the previous consensus was sunburn/heat damage. I really think this one needs to become a houseplant once I move some houseplants into the office. 5gal I bought from Phil a while ago. It looked awesome until this brutal, disrespectful Texas summer. 

IMG_20221002_191022.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

@DoomsDaveI think the previous consensus was sunburn/heat damage. I really think this one needs to become a houseplant once I move some houseplants into the office. 5gal I bought from Phil a while ago. It looked awesome until this brutal, disrespectful Texas summer. 

IMG_20221002_191022.jpg

Yeah looks like it got a bit cooked, but also should recover. That split in the leaf base in one of the previous pictures looks like a reasonably healthy palm moving forward. 

I had a bunch of palms go KFC in our recent 10 day heat wave, though I know that’s no consolation.

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

3 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Yeah looks like it got a bit cooked, but also should recover. That split in the leaf base in one of the previous pictures looks like a reasonably healthy palm moving forward. 

I had a bunch of palms go KFC in our recent 10 day heat wave, though I know that’s no consolation.

There was also physical wear and tear - the frond I chopped off today basically acted like a turnstile into my apartment, and it was unavoidable. But yeah, summer here was stupid hot and stupid dry. I guess the extra watering and misting just wasn't enough. Thanks for the reassurance and good vibes for all of your green homeys. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Question for the patio crew here, do palms grown in pots remain miniaturized compared to ones grown in the ground?

I got a Butia Odorata and a Phoenix Canariensis in pots here who grew rapidly this season and now I am getting worried they will grow too big for my patio too soon. Are there any ways to slow down the growth without aesthetic impairment on the fronds and overall health of potted palms? 😄

• Like 1

Good question to ponder.  This made me think of coconut palms growing bonsai style.  I know you’re not likely talking about bonsai-ing your plants, but for palms I think the long-term containers likely stunt them.  Would have an awkward transition phase but They probably would grow normally after being in ground later on. Should make for some good PT discussion!

3DCD5838-3350-42E7-AA5B-F05E416E8E14.thumb.jpeg.f4506083f723899371888d80ab859970.jpeg

Edited by piping plovers
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, piping plovers said:

Good question to ponder.  This made me think of coconut palms growing bonsai style.  I know you’re not likely talking about bonsai-ing your plants, but for palms I think the long-term containers likely stunt them.  Would have an awkward transition phase but They probably would grow normally after being in ground later on. Should make for some good PT discussion!

3DCD5838-3350-42E7-AA5B-F05E416E8E14.thumb.jpeg.f4506083f723899371888d80ab859970.jpeg

I hear that root pruning potted Phoenix Canariensis keeps the size in check? I assume it is best to do this at the start of a growth season.

Not sure if this applies to Butia's, haven't read much about how they handle root pruning.

2 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Today's dumpster yeeting. 

IMG_20221022_151222.jpg

@ZPalmsthe other Cat Palm also got yeeted today. 

3 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

The one I bought also turned to crap 😭

I gave this one 2 years. Saw this today and said no lol 

IMG_20221022_141525.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I gave this one 2 years. Saw this today and said no lol 

IMG_20221022_141525.jpg

Majesties get annoying when the summer heat is gone, I don't blame you

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, ZPalms said:

The one I bought also turned to crap 😭

My indoor one is huge, trunking, and flowering. The only difference I can think of is the indoor one is a single plant, and the dead one was multiples. Both came mail order from HD, both were grown by Costa Farms. Both bought within a few months of each other. 

IMG_20221018_213421.jpg

IMG_20221018_212914.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

My indoor one is huge, trunking, and flowering. The only difference I can think of is the indoor one is a single plant, and the dead one was multiples. Both came mail order from HD, both were grown by Costa Farms. Both bought within a few months of each other. 

IMG_20221018_213421.jpg

IMG_20221018_212914.jpg

I'd like to try again but grown myself because the conditions changing from lowes to my room were so different it just declined, yours looks awesome and congrats on the flower 😁 If it sets seed I'll buy 😝

23 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Majesties get annoying when the summer heat is gone, I don't blame you

They suck indoors. I know, I know, 2 or 3 people have had success, I know. But with their demands they're crappy houseplants. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnAndSancho said:

They suck indoors. I know, I know, 2 or 3 people have had success, I know. But with their demands they're crappy houseplants. 

I love my majesty but I know at the end of winter its going to look so busted, at least they grow quick enough to replace any dried leaves

• Upvote 1

Just now, ZPalms said:

I'd like to try again but grown myself because the conditions changing from lowes to my room were so different it just declined, yours looks awesome and congrats on the flower 😁 If it sets seed I'll buy 😝

It's been in the same corner of my tiny studio apartment by the front door under the same grow light for 2 years. I love it but it does annoy me because it's grown so much I have to keep rotating it because it blocks my TV 🤣 

I don't even water it often. Sancho (my dog) is weird and won't drink water from a bowl, he drinks from Taco Cabana cups and this plant literally gets what's left in his cup when he can't reach the water in his cup. It's pushing itself out of the pot, it's stupid root bound..... 

It's funny, I've been a palm dork for basically 2 years and I'm learning the stuff that I don't stress over and don't pay attention to does better than the stuff I pamper and baby. If I stress and try to worry about a watering and fertilizing schedule, it's like meh. But if I ignore it and just walk past something and I'm like "oh I haven't watered this guy in forever," and give it a splash, it's fine. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

It's been in the same corner of my tiny studio apartment by the front door under the same grow light for 2 years. I love it but it does annoy me because it's grown so much I have to keep rotating it because it blocks my TV 🤣 

I don't even water it often. Sancho (my dog) is weird and won't drink water from a bowl, he drinks from Taco Cabana cups and this plant literally gets what's left in his cup when he can't reach the water in his cup. It's pushing itself out of the pot, it's stupid root bound..... 

It's funny, I've been a palm dork for basically 2 years and I'm learning the stuff that I don't stress over and don't pay attention to does better than the stuff I pamper and baby. If I stress and try to worry about a watering and fertilizing schedule, it's like meh. But if I ignore it and just walk past something and I'm like "oh I haven't watered this guy in forever," and give it a splash, it's fine. 

That's actually funny because when I water or mix dirt I sterilize my watering can if I leave old water in it but you just give the plant old dog water 😂

Edited by ZPalms
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

That's actually funny because when I water or mix dirt I sterilize my watering can if I leave old water in it but you just give the plant old dog water 😂

I use a bunch of empty gallon jugs of tea for my outdoor stuff but my indoor stuff literally all gets leftover Sancho water.

Maybe you should get a Chihuahua and some Taco Cabana or Popeyes cups lol 

14 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I use a bunch of empty gallon jugs of tea for my outdoor stuff but my indoor stuff literally all gets leftover Sancho water.

Maybe you should get a Chihuahua and some Taco Cabana or Popeyes cups lol 

Ive been keeping a lot of fast food cups for seedlings 😋

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Ive been keeping a lot of fast food cups for seedlings 😋

@Fuscastyle 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JohnAndSancho said:

@Fuscastyle 

They work soooo good, the clear cups from mcdonalds are great if your not putting seedlings in direct sun because you dont have to do guess work with the roots

Dirty Sanchez just won't quit. I think he should look a little darker green, I guess I'll add some chelated iron to his stink water this time. 

Spindly Bob was staked up and getting settled straight in his bigger pot, then we had a hellacious thunderstorm the other night and my patio chair hit him like a cruise missile. @DoomsDaveyour surviving godchildren in this shot too. 

One of my B. Alfreidii - the others are throwing taller strap leaves, this one has more strap leaves. 

The split in the trunk (hey, yeah, it's got 2 rings so it's a trunk) on my C. Benezeii. The rest of the plant still looks extra crispy. 

My Majesty is getting kinda light like it wants more fertilizer too. It did see a 39 degree morning, I hope old Groot Jr is tough enough for that. 

IMG_20221026_173440.jpg

IMG_20221026_173551.jpg

IMG_20221026_173604.jpg

IMG_20221026_173748.jpg

IMG_20221026_173909.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/23/2022 at 9:09 PM, ZPalms said:

They work soooo good, the clear cups from mcdonalds are great if your not putting seedlings in direct sun because you dont have to do guess work with the roots

Yeah but that means you have to eat McDonald's. So it's like ok I get clear cups but I'm doing irreparable damage to my colon. 

This is said ironically as I order a My Cravings box from Taco Bell. Fiesta potatoes are the truth. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Yeah but that means you have to eat McDonald's. So it's like ok I get clear cups but I'm doing irreparable damage to my colon. 

This is said ironically as I order a My Cravings box from Taco Bell. Fiesta potatoes are the truth. 

Thats very true, why does the most terrible stuff be so good

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Whenever I buy 2 liter bottles of seltzer water I save them and cut off the top and large drainage holes in the bottom and sides.  Have not used yet for my palms but they make nice DEEP & CHEAP narrow pots — Something I can never find.  Was spending a lot $$ on the clear orchid type pots for my epiphytic anthuriums ; problem was the bigger pots only got wider and I wanted depth more than anything.  My queen anthurium loves the clear soda bottle.  Might try with my Joey palms or Howeas,—anyone have good results with the clear pots for palms long term as they are not epiphytes and are not used to light exposure at roots?

pics below of the anthurium and the wide pot I would have had to use if not for the deep bottle.

2189EF4F-2577-480A-96B1-BAB66634E5F3.thumb.jpeg.6d55a30339cc76f40145b2afae017071.jpeg

0AD93F18-08A8-49A1-B027-98D0E619F814.thumb.jpeg.c7eef09e6b9b5e11db4ac4a761fe6826.jpeg

F327C96D-521C-4AA5-A489-0A0D168824FD.thumb.jpeg.45089a952cd1a63ff00b3ccba5b93c91.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Thats very true, why does the most terrible stuff be so good

I ask Taco Bell and Whataburger this often 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Welp. Y'all still think it's severe sunburn that just took forever to show up? New leaf opening up looks great, everything else saw probably 3 months of 100+ temps and no rain. 

C. Benezeii. Asking the experts @DoomsDave @Darold Petty@Merlyn 

IMG_20221112_145828.jpg

• Upvote 1

ROFL...chortle...snort...me...expert?  Nah.  :D  I vaguely recall thinking there was some kind of fungus going on with that one, with the odd spotting on the base of the fronds. 

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/74353-is-this-a-fungus/

The new frond looks pretty good, so it probably doesn't have a Manganese deficiency at the moment.  Possibly it just needs water and cooler temperatures to be happy.  Some palms just suffer when it gets hot.  I'm only SWAG-ing that based on your discussion with Phil in your other thread.  Planted in shade in CA at 100F is probably cooler than a patio in TX at 100F.  Some days my 3 backyard sensors read in the mid 80s but the patio is 105...

23 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

ROFL...chortle...snort...me...expert?  Nah.  :D  I vaguely recall thinking there was some kind of fungus going on with that one, with the odd spotting on the base of the fronds. 

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/74353-is-this-a-fungus/

The new frond looks pretty good, so it probably doesn't have a Manganese deficiency at the moment.  Possibly it just needs water and cooler temperatures to be happy.  Some palms just suffer when it gets hot.  I'm only SWAG-ing that based on your discussion with Phil in your other thread.  Planted in shade in CA at 100F is probably cooler than a patio in TX at 100F.  Some days my 3 backyard sensors read in the mid 80s but the patio is 105...

I mean, you know your stuff. 

But I'll keep my eyes on it. It's def seeing cooler temps now than it was 6 months ago.... It's 53 right now with a freeze warning tonight, so it looks like I'll be throwing most of my palms in the bathtub tonight. 

4 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Welp. Y'all still think it's severe sunburn that just took forever to show up? New leaf opening up looks great, everything else saw probably 3 months of 100+ temps and no rain. 

IMG_20221112_145828.jpg

Aw shucks, I'm not an expert, but, whatever the cause, looks like your baby is coming back from the edge of the abyss to rise happily again.

Do please keep us informed as to its progress!

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 4:57 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

Thinking I got some burn on my Hydriastele beguinii seedlings too.  They got morning sun on deck during summer and then I put them too close to plant lights indoors. At first I thought it was spider mites damage but have not seen any. New leaf looking better.

E11E33A5-478F-4587-9DDA-F031A4A0AA5A.thumb.jpeg.f5d6411e36a49e855d53176b0e02674f.jpeg

61E4203E-F90E-4329-8E15-461BFBBA1F7B.thumb.jpeg.f6e0ea401d4b386bcfdf64f3440d0ebf.jpeg

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 8:26 PM, DoomsDave said:

Aw shucks, I'm not an expert, but, whatever the cause, looks like your baby is coming back from the edge of the abyss to rise happily again.

Do please keep us informed as to its progress!

Yeeted. 

It's been inside for a few weeks. I got tired of looking at the crispy bits, so I started cutting them off. The last new green frond looked ok until I trimmed the gnarly stuff... It was white at the bottom and just drooped over. RIP. IMG_20221210_000911.thumb.jpg.09d78e11c19da9c0f5ce1101283485cb.jpg

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Yeeted. 

It's been inside for a few weeks. I got tired of looking at the crispy bits, so I started cutting them off. The last new green frond looked ok until I trimmed the gnarly stuff... It was white at the bottom and just drooped over. RIP. IMG_20221210_000911.thumb.jpg.09d78e11c19da9c0f5ce1101283485cb.jpg

😢

You tried!