IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ferns, Tree Ferns in the PNW - status and some questions for experts

James W

Hi.  My city, Portland, is the idea climate for almost any type of temperate fern.  I've got many, and I thought I'd share some winter hardiness reports with you.  I also have some Tree Fern questions I hope an expert can answer.

Many of my ferns were bought online, some as "variety packs" where the vendor chose the items (and not all were appropriate choices for this area).

What has done well so far - these are no surprise.

• Western Sword Fern, Autumn Fern, Lady Fern, Northern Maidenhair, Male Fern.

What has done well - much to my surprise.

• Birds nest fern, staghorn fern.  That last one I can't believe.  Its a bit fried but it should be dead I think.

What has failed, no surprise.

• Cotton candy fern.

Tree Ferns:

• Dicksonia Antarctica - doing well.  I wish I could find a cheaper larger specimen to buy.  Seems those in the UK are lucky they can buy the logs, I can't find D.A. logs over here.
  • Cyathea Cooperi- I bought 5 small ones, intending to do some experiments (I'm an engineer :D).  All of the below are "surviving" so far, every one is looking VERY sad though.
    • Outside Under bubble-wrap + heat tape.
    • Outside exposed
    • In garage (about 15F warmer than outside).
    • Indoors in a grow tent.  I think this one is really mad about the dry indoor air!
  • Cyathea Australis - OK this is where I have questions.  It seems this one is almost impossible to find for sale online in USA.  I bought one which turned out to be just another Cooperi.  So I bought some spores from Australia and a guy in France (both ebay).  My other fern-from-spore propagation experiments are doing well (Autumn, Harts Tongue, Lady, Ostrich) but the C. Australis may not be growing.
    • My questions:
    • Is C. Australis really as cold-hardy as this suggest?  He says it should be hardier than the Dicksonia.  https://www.angelfire.com/bc/eucalyptus/treeferns/australis.html
    • Has anyone grown this one from spore?  I'm wondering if its just not possible (maybe due to spore freshness or lack of specialized environment)?

• Like 1

I can't answer your question but I have a couple of more fern suggestions for you.

Cistus nursery has Dicksonia fibrosus on their list, they say its as cold hardy or more cold hardy than D antarctica.  I have read other sources that say the opposite.

A couple of nice evergreen ferns that have done well for me are Woodwardia unigemmata the Jeweled chain fern.  New fronds are red - no joke.  And very tree fern like without the trunk is the Giant Pacific Chain fern Woodwardia fimbriata.  It's evergreen and grows shockingly fast, its super tough, and a native species to boot.  I got mine from Portland Nursery on Stark.

If you're willing to spend $200 that will get you a Dicksonia with close to 2' of trunk,  that's about the best price I know locally.

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

I can't answer your question but I have a couple of more fern suggestions for you.

Cistus nursery has Dicksonia fibrosus on their list, they say its as cold hardy or more cold hardy than D antarctica.  I have read other sources that say the opposite.

A couple of nice evergreen ferns that have done well for me are Woodwardia unigemmata the Jeweled chain fern.  New fronds are red - no joke.  And very tree fern like without the trunk is the Giant Pacific Chain fern Woodwardia fimbriata.  It's evergreen and grows shockingly fast, its super tough, and a native species to boot.  I got mine from Portland Nursery on Stark.

If you're willing to spend $200 that will get you a Dicksonia with close to 2' of trunk,  that's about the best price I know locally.

Thanks.  I do have a couple of other ferns I didnt mention (because I didn't have the until recently).  I do have the W. Fimbriata, and W. Orientalis.  And a couple of Polypody's.

Is there something special about the D. Fibrosa compared to D. Antarctica?    Seems like the D Antarctica is a slow slow grower.

16 minutes ago, James W said:

Is there something special about the D. Fibrosa compared to D. Antarctica?    Seems like the D Antarctica is a slow slow grower.

I have no idea, I just happened to see it on their list and it peaked my interest.  Dicksonia are real slow growers, once they start trunking it's like 1"/year

Hi James,  welcome to the board, one of the best if not the best in USA. 

I have a pretty awesome tree fern that I planted 10-12 years ago and it still alive, lol.  What makes mine so special is that I got it as a mature plant that was harvest from New Zealand land clearing project and the tree ferns are cut down and shipped around the world.  I got it from a wholesale nursery in the Seattle area. I can't remember the name of the company. 

What makes mine so special (their all special) I asked for the thickest trunk they had, I got one that was 5' tall and so thick I can not put my whole arms spread around it... so very thick. It now 7' tall and I have never had any damage to the trunk. This years 14" of snow bend most of the leave downward. The leave are evergreen to 25F-26F degrees. It very hard to get a picture of it sense the a trachy is blocking it from view.  But I'll try this weekend

Have any question just ask. 

Hey all,

Here is my Dicksonia antarctica, hard to get the whole plant in one picture do to extra foliage in the way. photos one and two. 

Photo three is hardy bromeliad growing on the trunk. 

Photo four and five is another type of tree fern with new growth starting to grow.  Called Cyathea atrox.  From the fern factory. 

Last photo is a bonus photo of winter blooming grevillea still going strong. 

IMG-0145-1.jpg

IMG-0144-1.jpg

IMG-0151.jpg

IMG-0141.jpg

IMG-0139.jpg

IMG-0148.jpg

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 2

Now you're just showing off. ;)  

My tree fern did well during our cold, I actually did cover it with some bubble wrap because of the ice.  I think it might be more than one plant but it's hard to see.  No trunk whatsoever but getting wider each year.   I think a couple decades it may catch up to what yours is like today.

My grevillea seemed to have some flower buds forming, but nothing really developed.  It's probably a hybrid form, but is an exceptionally cold hardy one called "Neil Bell".  Red flowers from the pictures and should get 8'-9' tall and quick growing.  It was about 4' but extremely leggy so got a haircut, it was very small when I got it so still has a long way to go.  It's growing in the shadow of the giant cedar in poor soil, so I thought it might be one of the best plants considering their native habitat.

Showing off, maybe, just wanted to let you know they can grow here, LOL!

G. "Neil Bell" is a early spring bloomer so I'm not surprised your seeing buds. Mine blooms from October to March and is 8' tall. 

Here's D. Antarctica at a friends house. Planted a long time ago as a 5 gallon and about 6' of trunk. He uses the dying leave to help protect the trunk in winter. Notice in the first photo a Jubaea in the back ground. 

I only protect mine with a blanket when the temps go below 25F.

DSC_0087.thumb.JPG.b4abe0877f7f0edba4cccac057b676a5.JPG.f3f1ecc12c71b693bb6c32afd3915b2c.JPG

DSC_0089.thumb.JPG.d38afac7e93c040dff585083a617ee58.JPG

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1