IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Should I stake?

xoRudy

I recently planted my Bismarckia in August, it was planted straight and doing well. But, The wind has been really bad here in Maricopa all winter. It only blows in one direction as well. It’s now made my Bismarck lean. Should I stake? Or should I not worry about it because it’ll straighten itself up later on? 

D09CB9A1-52DC-458E-82F9-22413C6CA41C.jpeg

564839BA-4355-47A4-A84E-4C0AC5EFB117.jpeg

Seems if a strong enough gust of wind came through it would uproot it, and it would die if that happened. Would definitely stake it just in case! Leave it staked for up to 6 months then check and see if it still wobbles, if so then leave for another 6 months.

• Like 2

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

I agree. It would be too bad to loose the palm since you can still easily stake it. Two wooden sticks a bit apart from the root zone plus a third one as a cross-bar should do it. (It is standard procedure in typhoony Okinawa and doesn't hurt.) 

best regards 

Lars

• Like 2

Yes, until its root growth catches up to its crown.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Having been there and done that so many times, I concur with @PalmatierMeg and @Darold Petty and recommend both: (a) staking; and (b) either digging and re-planting in warm weather (hard) or getting some of those scalloped concrete thingies (or something like them) and putting them around the trunk and dumping in more dirt.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

15 hours ago, xoRudy said:

I recently planted my Bismarckia in August, it was planted straight and doing well. But, The wind has been really bad here in Maricopa all winter. It only blows in one direction as well. It’s now made my Bismarck lean. Should I stake? Or should I not worry about it because it’ll straighten itself up later on? 

D09CB9A1-52DC-458E-82F9-22413C6CA41C.jpeg

564839BA-4355-47A4-A84E-4C0AC5EFB117.jpeg

And, don't forget to give us pictures of your loved baby in all its glory when it grows into a gorgeous monster, maybe protect the cars under it from the hot sun.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Maybe im wrong but it looks pretty stretched Which probably made it susceptible to lean .  Atleast mine have never had that long of petioles with that size base . I would imagine alot of that foliage is going to fry in your climate until it is acclimated . Luckily these guys grow so fast that it’ll be grown out of that stage very quickly haha you May not even notice it . 

• Like 1