IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Texas Temps

Ed in Houston

Here are some temperatures around Texas at 05:30am and 06:00am Monday 2/15/2021. Data from the Weather Underground. South Padre Island at 28. I expect these temperatures to drop another degree or two by dawn or just after.

06:00

Dal_FW.jpg.6e27f597317a625d0d0c98e394155b47.jpg

SAaust0600.jpg.eb72a5d5d01bc5dd9952131ac925034d.jpg

05:30

houst0530.jpg.57308499383f50adb3917a9072dcaaf8.jpg

cc0530.jpg.7b55f05b282486414d6966d3f4e10a79.jpg

rgv0530.jpg.55b10bf83b69541800b200e49fd88cf7.jpg

Ed in Houston

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I seen on weather underground that Brownville was at 23.7F. Sad to see. I hope things will at least recover. I remember really old Royals around in western parts of Fort Pierce, Florida survive from about those temperatures in 1989. They were totally defoliated afterwards. So that might give some hope for those in Texas.

Edited by DavidLee
  • Like 3

Currently at one of the SPI stations... As if the temperature weren’t bad enough, notice the wind.    :(
D004149E-2BEA-40C4-BDF2-93350D28C9DF.thumb.png.d4259842eaf62612a54e9eab44a86f81.png

That station actually had a low of 22.8f earlier. The highest low temp I’ve seen in Texas is 24f in Brownsville, has anyone seen something higher?

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Tree guys will be busy for a long time taking down massive amounts of dead trees Terrible news for all palm enthusiasts in TX. Could have been FL if the jet stream was positioned a bit further east. Meanwhile it feels like summer here.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I looked more closely, and there is a chance that some 10A stuff made it in downtown Brownsville area.  Everything else is toast. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Brevard County, Fl

Name anywhere else in the world at 26 degrees latitude on the coast that can get that cold

• Like 3

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

8 minutes ago, Xerarch said:

Name anywhere else in the world at 26 degrees latitude on the coast that can get that cold

Egyptian desert on the red sea?  Maybe SE China.

Brevard County, Fl

22 hours ago, Jimbean said:

Kiss the coconuts, and probably all of the royals goodbye all over coastal Texas :(

I predict there will not be a single living coconut palm left in Texas.  Sad.

A few royals will make it, but 90% will probably be gone.

-Michael

• Like 1

Just now, palmsOrl said:

I predict there will not be a single living coconut palm left in Texas.  Sad.

A few royals will make it, but 90% will probably be gone.

-Michael

100% of royals outside of Brownsville, maybe a few within Brownsville can survive. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

21 hours ago, redant said:

Tree guys will be busy for a long time taking down massive amounts of dead trees Terrible news for all palm enthusiasts in TX. Could have been FL if the jet stream was positioned a bit further east. Meanwhile it feels like summer here.

Agree. Florida really lucked out this time.  I think as bad as the TX fallout will be, we will hear a few shocking survivors. Hoping for the best across the south. I feel their pain. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jimbean said:

100% of royals outside of Brownsville, maybe a few within Brownsville can survive. 

Exactly what I was thinking Jim.

• Like 1

Waiting for the pictures of the carnage.

Praying for miracles, but not expecting any. :crying:

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, Jimbean said:

Here's a street planting of royals in downtown Brownsville:

brownsville.png.74c98071dd9c4190346669b4ef1dc8a6.png

Streetview

Their odds aren't good, but they're worth checking on. Can anyone stop by in about 6 weeks to see if there's new growth?

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

There's more on the next block over. Note the closest royal pictured below is on the SW side of that building so it would have been shielded from the winds. 

brownsville2.png.0947e7c0954cc8c829712723dff4f7ea.png

Streetview

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Waiting for the pictures of the carnage.

Praying for miracles, but not expecting any. :crying:

A miracle would be great, but every Texas gardener knows, or ought to know, what the record books say.  If it happened EVER, it could happen again.  At the same time I agree with the sentiment that you might as well enjoy the wonderful things you can grow for decades between major freezes.

• Like 4

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

There are thousands and thousands of royals all cross Starr, Hidalgo, and Cameron counties. So there is a pretty big sample size. We'll have to wait and see. 

The tallest royals I know of are on the south side of the Isla Grande Resort on SPI. Also some monsters along the resacas near central Brownsville. 

The tallest coconuts (planted mid 90s?) are in western Brownsville. Not optmistic at all...but miracles do happen 

• Like 3

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Royals, when well planted in a hot, humid climate like South Florida or extreme Southern Texas grow from seedling to big tree in no time. In the Florida Keys I had one large juvenile that went from one or two rings of trunk to 20' of clear trunk in seven years, with no irrigation or fertilization to speak of, growing on pure limestone. So don't shed too many tears if most of them go away...a pain to remove but if they replace those with the same species, they will look good in no time. I'm sure it has happened a number of times before, in fact, wasn't it about this cold in those areas in at least some of the bad southern freezes of 96/97/2010/2011? Also I think a number of Roystonea recovered in Central Florida after the 1989 blitzkrieg to about 20F, so perhaps there is hope.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

32 minutes ago, mnorell said:

I'm sure it has happened a number of times before, in fact, wasn't it about this cold in those areas in at least some of the bad southern freezes of 96/97/2010/2011? 

The coldest freeze before yesterday and after 1989 was 2011. A good number of coconuts survived that freeze, so 2021 comparatively truly is the guillotine. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

This freeze is a landscape changer for you guys. We had recently also a big coldwave since a very long time but that was nothing compared what you are now experiencing.
It is quite bizarre to see those temperatures and snow even near the Gulf.

Edited by Exotic Life
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Southwest

4 hours ago, Exotic Life said:

This freeze is a landscape changer for you guys. We had recently also a big coldwave since a very long time but that was nothing compared what you are now experiencing.
It is quite bizarre to see those temperatures and snow even near the Gulf.

The polar vortex set up in Canada, allowing cold to drip far south due to being banked up along the Rockies. Then, all it took was a southern-enough upper-level low to finish the job.

If the upper-level low had passed way north, then Texas would not have seen near as much cold as it did this past Monday and Tuesday. The temps last week and into Sunday would have been the coldest tops.

• Like 1

I was just reading that about two weeks ago, there was a "sudden stratospheric over the high arctic", it seems that the "polar vortex" tends to keep the arctic air bottled up at high, subpolar latitudes. When there is less of the temperature contrast between the tropics and the poles, the polar vortex gets weaker and arctic air masses are able to sink south, and south, and south (there are no mountain ranges to prevent the cold, dense arctic air in its descent south (yes, we need a WALL!, to the NORTH!).  This arctic incursion did not have a strong eastern component, so my mid Atlantic yard saw a minimum of 15 f. (though we are hundreds of miles further north).   

27 minutes ago, oasis371 said:

I was just reading that about two weeks ago, there was a "sudden stratospheric over the high arctic", it seems that the "polar vortex" tends to keep the arctic air bottled up at high, subpolar latitudes. When there is less of the temperature contrast between the tropics and the poles, the polar vortex gets weaker and arctic air masses are able to sink south, and south, and south (there are no mountain ranges to prevent the cold, dense arctic air in its descent south (yes, we need a WALL!, to the NORTH!).  This arctic incursion did not have a strong eastern component, so my mid Atlantic yard saw a minimum of 15 f. (though we are hundreds of miles further north).   

Posted this somewhere else, but will put it here also... here's a great, simplified article regarding how everything came together.. Judah Cohen also puts out a weekly blog update on what is happening over the Arctic, and how what is  happening there may effect everyone down here.

Might still have some gas left in the tank for next month as well...

I wonder if there is anywhere else in the world where you can see such a dramatic swing in temperatures...overnight low of 70+ to low 20s in 7 days 

mcallenmadness.JPG.cf79ea4ccb636d586b767834f2a9eac5.JPG

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

59 minutes ago, Xenon said:

I wonder if there is anywhere else in the world where you can see such a dramatic swing in temperatures...overnight low of 70+ to low 20s in 7 days 

....College Station, Texas. 80 to 5.
( 75 degrees !!!). I haven’t even checked Dallas or Austin temperature swings.

McAllen, Texas 89 to 22 (  67!!!) 

6BE237DD-2850-4F31-94EB-E17BFD7C7477.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

7 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

....College Station, Texas. 80 to 5.
( 75 degrees !!!).

McAllen, Texas 89 to 22 (  67!!!) 

6BE237DD-2850-4F31-94EB-E17BFD7C7477.jpeg

So it is Texas.

My word!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Here is downtown San Antonio weather info, so far. It’s currently snowing and  expecting one more night of near record cold for date.  However. The SA Riverwalk has one of the best microclimates, probably saw warmer temperatures than at street level. Low of 10.6 is still pretty bad. The one queen on the Riverwalk has never even burned in previous freezes since I found it in 2000. 

BC115202-B7BE-4B33-8D2A-7C9B6002A37A.jpeg

Compare that to the last time SA went below 20, or had 24 hours below freezing.

22949C4F-B578-4E00-B58A-25F1AF51A698.jpeg

And SA airport officials data this freeze so far:

ADACCC05-F90A-4F0A-B348-002EDC17160E.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

11 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Here is downtown San Antonio weather info, so far. It’s currently snowing and  expecting one more night of near record cold for date.  However. The SA Riverwalk has one of the best microclimates, probably saw warmer temperatures than at street level. Low of 10.6 is still pretty bad. The one queen on the Riverwalk has never even burned in previous freezes since I found it in 2000. 

BC115202-B7BE-4B33-8D2A-7C9B6002A37A.jpeg

Compare that to the last time SA went below 20, or had 24 hours below freezing.

22949C4F-B578-4E00-B58A-25F1AF51A698.jpeg

And SA airport officials data this freeze so far:

ADACCC05-F90A-4F0A-B348-002EDC17160E.jpeg

Crazy numbers considering the criminally mild SAInternationals micro climate.

On 2/17/2021 at 11:45 PM, Xenon said:

China. Didn't Shanghai see record lows this year? I think they are the best climate match for us.

4 minutes ago, necturus said:

China. Didn't Shanghai see record lows this year? I think they are the best climate match for us.

What's incredible is not just the cold but the contrast of potential warmth in winter as well. Shanghai can see low temperatures but would never come close to a 70+ degree overnight low. I don't think even Hong Kong or Hanoi have seen such warm lows in winter...they see less variance due to the Siberian High I think

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

For those curious, a couple tweets worth reading related to why areas east of the Rockies are more susceptible to these kinds of Arctic outbreaks, even at relatively lower latitudes, and why while they do happen, why they are much more occasional in CA. :

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hopefully the royals in downtown Brownsville and along the coast will survive this. Cold weather over after tonight.  in 2010 I believe it was my foxtails died and royals  defoliated.  Just 7 miles away in city portion of palmetto/ Bradenton no damage. Urban heat island effect I assume. Weird thing is had 1 day freeze down to 28 few years ago the royals burned and foxtails not touched. Christmas palms did fine but had them  right up against house. Sorry for the rant. Give it time in texas they may come back. Apply Copper fungicide  in the palm hearts prevent decay for couple weeks. Are Bismarck palms popular in tx, I’d assume from Houston south. I’ve seen them  survive as low as 24 in rural Hillsborough county

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 1:51 PM, Jeffnparrishfl said:

Hopefully the royals in downtown Brownsville and along the coast will survive this. Cold weather over after tonight.  in 2010 I believe it was my foxtails died and royals  defoliated.  Just 7 miles away in city portion of palmetto/ Bradenton no damage. Urban heat island effect I assume. Weird thing is had 1 day freeze down to 28 few years ago the royals burned and foxtails not touched. Christmas palms did fine but had them  right up against house. Sorry for the rant. Give it time in texas they may come back. Apply Copper fungicide  in the palm hearts prevent decay for couple weeks. Are Bismarck palms popular in tx, I’d assume from Houston south. I’ve seen them  survive as low as 24 in rural Hillsborough county

All the Bismarck that I have seen in the RGV look good and will make it.  Some a little worse than others but they will all make it in my honest opinion.  They are tough palms.

• Like 1

All the Bismarck that I have seen in the RGV look good and will make it.  Some a little worse than others but they will all make it in my honest opinion.  They are tough palms.

I saw a couple north of New Orleans where it got to 21F and they looked alot better than the Sylvesters.

BTW, Any idea how the mango trees did around Brownsville?

And black mangrove (Avicennia germinans)?

We have these in coastal SE La. They thrive but hard freezes, though infrequent, keep them from reaching full size.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 11:00 PM, Sabal_Louisiana said:

And black mangrove (Avicennia germinans)?

Some shots of small black mangrove in this vid: @5:02 @13:24

This study, https://www.watershedecology.org/uploads/1/2/7/3/12731039/osland_et_al._2019-_temperature_thresholds_for_black_mangrove_freeze_damage_mortality_and_recovery.pdf, puts leaf damage threshold for black mangrove at -4*C/~25F. 

undamaged Casuarina @ 14.33

A Mexican weather station less than 10 miles to the south on the coast (but without the extensive system of bays surrounding SpaceX) briefly dipped to 24.8F and was below 26F for only about an hour and <28F for 4 hours. 

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/sites/obhistory.php?station=MTAT4&network=MX_TP_DCP&metar=0&madis=0&year=2021&month=2&day=15&sortdir=asc

Tweet from a prominent resident claiming a low of 26F: Also note the sun arriving (iirc, it was cloudy/overcast on South Padre for most of the day)

Warmest spot in Texas??

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)