IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmageddon Aftermath Photo Thread

ahosey01

Gorgeous 100% pure Washingtonia Filifera at Baybrook Mall Houston TX zone 9B
these are the purest filifera I know of here . Someone had asked about filifera in HTX and here they are :) one of them has a trunk over 3’ across! Took 15° and look perfect.

88573BDB-53ED-4152-9F9C-842A288A7762.jpeg

95FD4902-C303-48E5-92DD-C2072CC5E7F4.jpeg

D842B7E4-94AA-448A-8AF1-0AE173DF6B64.jpeg

DA297E20-97FE-4998-9D26-1A4F98935E23.jpeg

80041DD8-55E6-4D41-A324-AD9051A2F891.jpeg

5D93994E-95B6-4C14-B8B8-8E4D482D3FA2.jpeg

6E9747C2-CA01-48AE-9995-3CEB5F5A77B8.jpeg

• Like 3

I always thought that 15 F wasn't even a challenge for filifera (other than leaf burn), as long as it was dry.  One trick I have seen on the East Coast is to cut off the brunt leaves in early winter, then cover with a paint bucket to keep the crown dry.  Then it can handle an extra zone of cold or so.  But cold and wet = not so good.

• Like 1

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

32 minutes ago, VA Jeff said:

I always thought that 15 F wasn't even a challenge for filifera (other than leaf burn), as long as it was dry.  One trick I have seen on the East Coast is to cut off the brunt leaves in early winter, then cover with a paint bucket to keep the crown dry.  Then it can handle an extra zone of cold or so.  But cold and wet = not so good.

They struggled bad here with all the snow / ice there is a whole group in friendswood TX it’s a city just outside of Houston.

2 out of 12 survived in that area and these are well established 15 years plus .

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 10:44 PM, VA Jeff said:

15 is no problem. Here in the San Antonio area we saw 10ish. All survived. Like 99% plus. No joke. 

• Like 3

I thought this one was one its way out last time I was down at Caldwell. It seems to have turned things around since the start of the year with the hot weather. 

PXL_20220813_212054964.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, thyerr01 said:

I thought this one was one its way out last time I was down at Caldwell. It seems to have turned things around since the start of the year with the hot weather. 

PXL_20220813_212054964.jpg

Interesting! Hopefully it continues to recover!

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 4:48 PM, NBTX11 said:

9F963A3C-FFEB-4CA8-8DEB-657436078646.jpeg

A very high percentage (90%+) of the Phoenix Canariensis survived the 2020 artic blast here in San Antonio/New Braunfels area.....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Here is an updated photo of my garden that survived the artic outbreak of 2020 !!!!!   Only lost a small Phoenix Sylvestris and one Cycas Tiatungensis with a foot of trunk height !   Mule palm in the far right corner struggled to recover but by removing the damaged growth point, it recovered and is pushing out a full crown now.

Jv

20220616_085950.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

42 minutes ago, iamjv said:

Here is an updated photo of my garden that survived the artic outbreak of 2020 !!!!!   Only lost a small Phoenix Sylvestris and one Cycas Tiatungensis with a foot of trunk height !   Mule palm in the far right corner struggled to recover but by removing the damaged growth point, it recovered and is pushing out a full crown now.

Jv

20220616_085950.jpg

Location? Zone 

I was driving down I-35 this weekend from North Texas and saw what I believe to be surviving palms at the Jellystone waterpark on the south side of Fort Worth on I35W.  I glanced at it for 1 second max, but there appeared to be a surviving Robusta like palm.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, iamjv said:

Jv

20220616_085950.jpg

Is that blue frond palm a Sabal Uresana? It's gorgeous. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

Dallas mass Sabals planting 2019 vs 2022

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 9.07.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 9.07.27 AM.png

Very inner Dallas probably low of 3 or 4. Good selection on picking Palmetto. But for me its pure wealth, not really a palmy person house.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

On 8/11/2022 at 8:58 PM, Cade said:

Two of five Bismarck alive in a row in Galveston.

885D36FA-E89F-49AD-9F17-88A6A17EF95D.jpeg

57DAA897-E8B9-4939-834E-ADDD4269AC6F.jpeg

All 5 were alive and one or two others. Some other died. Only that part of NNE Galveston island i saw bismarck and queen.

• Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Just now, Collectorpalms said:

All 5 were alive and one or two others. Some other died. Only that part of NNE Galveston island i saw bismarck and queen. Further down the island the temperature dropped off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

Very inner Dallas probably low of 3 or 4. Good selection on picking Palmetto. But for me its pure wealth, not really a palmy person house.

Agreed. But whoever did this is doing Dallas a HUGE favor. There are easily over a hundred trunking sabals on the property, and give it a few years and there will be volunteers everywhere in the surrounding area. Theres a lot of open land around the property where volunteers could grow for years without any intervention. I always see volunteers within a few block radius of in and out, can't imagine how many will pop up when there is a mass planting nearby 

Edited by DreaminAboutPalms
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

Agreed. But whoever did this is doing Dallas a HUGE favor. There are easily over a hundred trunking sabals on the property, and give it a few years and there will be volunteers everywhere. Theres a lot of open land around the property where volunteers could grow for years without any intervention. 

And where did they get the hundreds of Needle Palms? I see the meds are gone.

2 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

And where did they get the hundreds of Needle Palms? I see the meds are gone.

I'm going to try to drive by at some point. They had just as many palms planted on south facing side including some meds that look to be in a spot that would be fairly protected from northern winds and might have lasted 

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 11.05.43 AM.png

Incredible how densely packed the needle palms are and how many must be planted on property 

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 11.07.27 AM.png

• Like 2

Finally drove by today to check it out. Absolutely astounding, palms look super healthy for most part, looks like a native population pretty much. Area behind property floods too which they probably love. If someone showed this to me and asked where I think this is I would guess about 15 cities before I guessed Dallas. This property owner deserves a medal for his contribution to speeding up the naturalization of sabals in DFW. There is so much open space around property for volunteers to grow without anyone noticing 

• Like 1

Another North of Dallas sabal that stayed partially green after last year. I think planting close to foundation is underrated for extra heat during winter, a few down the road more exposed died 

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 4.33.39 PM.png

IMG_0022.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

Another North of Dallas sabal that stayed partially green after last year. I think planting close to foundation is underrated for extra heat during winter, a few down the road more exposed died 

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 4.33.39 PM.png

IMG_0022.jpeg

They look great !

• Like 1

Carrollton Trachies. For most part trachies I have seen around town look really good. And up until about a week ago we’ve had no rain all summer and temp hasn’t dropped below 75 in 3 months. Not pictured is a similar size monster of a Sabal Mexicana on the other side of the live oak in right side of pic 

CFF85A98-13CF-4A36-B60D-FBDEB291F1C0.jpeg

Edited by DreaminAboutPalms

Are there any big Bizzies in the Houston area that I can see? Because I don’t know why I have the feeling that they don’t grow very well in clay soil from this area. My CIDP are thriving, some other ones, too. But compared to Arizona and California Bizzies, mine are just stagnant. 

I was in Lufkin Texas over the weekend and there is a beautiful thin-trunked Washingtonian robusta flowering there.  Nice even by California standards. Looked like the three others around it were killed.  

2 hours ago, CiprianS said:

Are there any big Bizzies in the Houston area that I can see? Because I don’t know why I have the feeling that they don’t grow very well in clay soil from this area. My CIDP are thriving, some other ones, too. But compared to Arizona and California Bizzies, mine are just stagnant. 

Bizzies in unamended clay in Houston have grown quite fast, probably not a Houston problem. Go back a few pages for survivor pics or use the search function/google to find the many Houston Bismarckia pics in past threads. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

3 hours ago, ryjohn said:

I was in Lufkin Texas over the weekend and there is a beautiful thin-trunked Washingtonian robusta flowering there.  Nice even by California standards. Looked like the three others around it were killed.  

The deep surge of cold was really delayed hitting Lufkin. They only had one day below freezing. While just to the west and north it was carnage. -13 in Marshal Texas for example. In Corsicana it was -6, that took out Sabals and big Filifera.  

4 hours ago, CiprianS said:

I have one that has been stagnate for 10 plus years. I have clay- not the neutral PH type like most of Houston. I can grow really nice Queens to maturity but Bismarkia which is about the same hardiness just doesn't do anything. Going to try again however. I have several seedlings that I sprouted that I will place in different flower beds, and maybe one will make it.