IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best small crownshaft palm for a pot that is coldhardy

N8ALLRIGHT

Ok so wordy title but that pretty much covers it. I have a container ranch since I am in Missouri. Usual suspects like sago's, pygmy dates etc. We have a pool in full sun we like to tropic up in the summer. Would like something similar to a Christmas palm but able to take a freeze or 2 to whack the bugs before they come in for the winter. So full sun,cold tolerant and limited humidity and light for 4 months. Is this a unicorn or are there afew candidates. Don't get me wrong I love trachies,sabal and the like,but nothing says tropics like crownshafts swaying in the breeze. Thanks in advance

Nate

• Like 1

The only thing I know of with a crown shaft that is cold hardy is a Dypsis decipiens.

According to University of Florida theyre cold hardy down to 21F

If you find some or find a seed source, please PM me right away as Ive been searching for this palm for almost a year now.

Edit- fyi Im pretty new to palm growing so there might be more out there that Im not aware of.

Edited by floridaPalmMan

Ok so

Lytocarpa Hoehni

Dypsis decipiens

Keep em coming:greenthumb:

I'd been looking at dypsis sp. already.

D. Lanceolata and Teddy bear.

Also thoughts on Chambeyronia? Macrocarpa or Hookerei? Love the flamethrower, seems plausible enough. But no real world experience with these,are they very needy? I've got a walkout basement with north facing windows so limited lighting but not nothing either. Any of these prone to pests, humidity issues,etc

L. hoehnei is not a crownshafted palm.

By far the cold hardiest crownshafted palms for pots (where D. decipiens will suffer) are Chamaedorea, but they are not for full sun.  Chambeyronia are also not for full sun.

Based on your spec, I would go with Archontophoenix, which can take a pretty good freeze...but I'd protect them if you will get much below 30.

• Like 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

L. hoehnei is not a crownshafted palm.

I'm still learning terminology, my bad. 

4 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I'm still learning terminology, my bad. 

Are we referring to pinnate palms here?  Pinnate palms can be crownshafted, or not. 

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 minute ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Are we referring to pinnate palms here?  Pinnate palms can be crownshafted, or not. 

I guess I need to learn what a crownshaft is lol. I know what pinnate is. 

• Like 1

Chamaedorea radicalis, small palm, crownshafted, cold hardy to maybe 20 degrees, not sure if it would like full sun, but this is about as good as you can get.

• Like 5

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

If you are open to a palm without a crown shaft, Syagrus weddelliana would fit the bill nicely.

If criteria must include a crownshaft, I agree with others, Chamaedorea radicalis. 

Neither becomes an unmanageable size for a life lived in pots.. 

• Like 2

..Chamaedorea radicalis, as mentioned ..or C. microspadix ( generally has larger/wider leaflets than radicalis.. )   Both are quite cold hardy / durable/ good in containers. Both are generally clumpers ( send up multiple stalks/stems ), so they will present a different look than a single-trunked, crown shafted palm like a Christmas or King Palm.. Can tolerate lower light situations ( like what they might experience when you have to put them in your basement over the winter ) Tolerance of full sun exposure is a valid question ( for both ) though.

Several other  Chamaedorea might work as well ( say as accent plants mixed in among bigger potted things.. C.  metallica, & ernest-augusti = large wide " Whale Tail" type leaves ) Both are pretty tough ( but would prefer more shade than sun, even there ) Single trunked, but small.. Look best planted in groups of 3 or so in pots.

There are some other interesting crown shafted palms that might work in pots ( certain Pinanga / interesting small Dypsis < might be tough to track down > ) but, as far as i know, they might be more fussy about the cool, lower light/ lack of humidity hanging out in a basement thru winter/ cool part of Spring. Not sure how well they'd tolerate lots of sun..

Will add, as far as bigger crown shafted palm options go,  As nice as Christmas palms look, can be quite whimpy..

Lived in both Topeka and Lawrence for awhile so fairly familiar w/ KCK / KCMO's summers ..so both of the clumping Chamaedorea might be ok in shifting sun/ afternoon shade since it usually rains often enough/ is pretty humid, most of the summer, ..a majority of the time anyway.. which i think would help keep them from burning, if you did expose them to more sun.   There's another Kansas City Palm Talk member who posts every so often who, if i remember correctly, has even grown Plumeria up there.

Even if you pursue something that is more in line w/ the look you want, would add in a couple of these anyway.. Lush, jungl-y feel would be a pretty unique ( and cool ) look for a Kansas City yard.

Good luck, and let us know what you think / pursue. ...And welcome to the forum, and Palm Talk.

• Like 3

All crownshaft palms are pinnate, but not all pinnate palms have a crownshaft !  :)

• Like 4

San Francisco, California

2 hours ago, floridaPalmMan said:

Ooooo I just found this palm too

Dypsis baronii - According to UF, it's hardy down to 9A, (24F)

dypsis-baronii.thumb.jpg.8971b500b5143825a7865640428d1d72.jpg

These definitely do well here down to 30 degrees.  Keep in mind palms are less hardy than advertised when in pots.  I would bring this species in at a similar temp to an Archontophoenix - anything say with a potential to get under 30, or when heavy frost is anticipated.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

Love the responses,and that D. Baroni is sexy! I'd wanted a single trunk specimen but that's a game changer right there. It appears to be smaller,crownshafts, cold hardy,capable of varying light conditions and indoors at least from my brief reading. Thanks for the input and warm welcome

Nate

• Like 2

17 hours ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

Love the responses,and that D. Baroni is sexy! I'd wanted a single trunk specimen but that's a game changer right there. It appears to be smaller,crownshafts, cold hardy,capable of varying light conditions and indoors at least from my brief reading. Thanks for the input and warm welcome

Nate

Chamadorea radicalis! See my PM (Private Message.)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...

chamedorea radicalis var 'trunking'

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

The bit about "takes a couple freezes" is a real buzz kill for many of these species. There are safer ways to deal with potential bugs than freezing the poor palm to death. That is not a great way to grow palms in MO and you will have to make an effort to do so. The only palms that don't get bugs are artificial ones.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.