IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

2021 Jubaea chilensis growth

Fallen Munk

1 hour ago, Jesse PNW said:

That Jubaea looks a little Butia-ish to me. 

I know. No spines on the petioles and was given to me from the owner of one of the local palm nurseries who do sell a fair amount of a Jubaeas. Trunk in person looks different from Butia. It has also developed that bluish color this year. 

if you see videos of Banana Joe’s Jubaeas they are similar looking to mine. His are even more pendulous. 

• Like 1

I can say I keep looking at this palm all the time because I do agree it does look very Butia-ish.  It puts out one frond at a time whereas I find my butias put two fronds out at once on opposite sides almost like a mirroring effect.  I guess only time will tell. 

The other Jubaeas I have are all quite small so I don't have a good comparison.  I have one seedling in the ground and its in full sun with very stiff, short fronds, that are only 3-4" long.   Originally the fronds were 6"+ or so but it stopped putting these longer ones out immediately after planting.  It looks kind of odd to be honest.  This has been in the ground one year and did endure the ice storm unprotected.  The emerging spear was damaged but it grew out of it, you can see it on the lower right in the first picture.

The rest that I have all grew in the same area that I raised this palm and are more stretched.  Morning sun/afternoon shade.  These are blue ones, I'll try and post a picture later.

B944EE65-BACC-43DE-A340-188F0ED78FDA.jpeg

F7F07D21-7CE1-4AA8-9875-8D8CF28B64C8.jpeg

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

Y'all got me wanting to pay closer attention to my Jubaea now!

To me it appears to constantly be putting up spears, and it's currently approaching about five and a half feet overall height.  Guess now's as good a time as any to start documenting it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Scott W said:

Y'all got me wanting to pay closer attention to my Jubaea now!

To me it appears to constantly be putting up spears, and it's currently approaching about five and a half feet overall height.  Guess now's as good a time as any to start documenting it.

You should post it. Not too many of us can grow these. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

You should post it. Not too many of us can grow these. 

Actually remembered I did start documenting it in another thread :floor: but never have I counted number of spears per year.  I'll count the current one developing as number 1 and go through Oct 1 next year.

Growing Jubaea chilensis in Florida

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 6:31 PM, Fallen Munk said:

September update.  Pushing the 8th new frond for this year.  Anybody know how many new fronds they can make per year?  I'm guessing eight is real good but I imagine they can do even more than that when they get bigger and better rooted.  I seem to recall it only made five last year.    Can't wait to see what it can do in 2022.

jubaea17.jpg

Looking good! It grew quite a bit this year. 8 fronds is really good. Mine will finish this year with 10 possibly 11 but not holding my breath. 

I dug mine out 3 years ago from my previous place & planted it summer of 2019. Like yours, it has been increasing the amount of fronds every year so we're in the same boat there. I bought it as a small 15 gallon from Jungle Music in 2010 & kepted it in the pot about 4 or 5 years which I regret. 

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Here she is June 2019

20190622_185633.thumb.jpg.c9b5251bf7bf0cbee7291240ac579c04.jpg

October 2021

20211009_181214.thumb.jpg.a30ba33ad16ee74653f93aa7981b2b31.jpg

• Like 17
  • Upvote 3

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

@OC2Texaspalmlvr, Haha no hybrid! Thanks T J

17 hours ago, Jtee said:

Apparently they grow a lot quicker outside of the PNW I guess

I'm thinking mine should be about that size after next season.  I've only had it just over a year so far.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jubaea_James760 said:

Looking good! It grew quite a bit this year. 8 fronds is really good. Mine will finish this year with 10 possibly 11 but not holding my breath. 

I dug mine out 3 years ago from my previous place & planted it summer of 2019. Like yours, it has been increasing the amount of fronds every year so we're in the same boat there. I bought it as a small 15 gallon from Jungle Music in 2010 & kepted it in the pot about 4 or 5 years which I regret. 

Wow, 10 fronds is awesome.  I'm hoping mine will do that next year.  Mine was a small 15 gallon in 2020 but I put it in the ground right away.  Yours would be massive if you did that when you got it.  Probably trunking size or close to it.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

I'm thinking mine should be about that size after next season.  I've only had it just over a year so far.

Well damn that’s a lot faster than I thought

1 hour ago, Jtee said:

Well damn that’s a lot faster than I thought

Yeah, the base was only 2" diameter when I got it last year.  It's now 10" diameter.

2 hours ago, SailorBold said:

I'm hooked....

I need one of these!

How is your JxB ? 

• Like 1

T J 

On 10/13/2021 at 4:18 AM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

How is your JxB ? 

Doing good.. to the tallest leaf is about 9-10 feet.. 

Some pics from this morning.. noticed some hooks?  Or zig zags on some leaflets..

20211014_100803.jpg

20211014_100856.jpg

20211014_095615.jpg

20211014_095406.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

1 hour ago, SailorBold said:

Doing good..

I absolutely love that palm one of my all time favorite hybrids =) Man its getting thick how long have you had it in the ground now ? 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

I've had them for about 8 or 9 years in ground ....and i actually don't feed them at all ....,well not anymore.. The soil here is river bed silt...when I used fertilizer they burnt Orange...soo haven't done that for 2 years now! Largest one I have ..milk jug for reference

16344279782629027734693177215782.jpg

• Like 6

On 10/14/2021 at 11:31 AM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I absolutely love that palm one of my all time favorite hybrids =) Man its getting thick how long have you had it in the ground now ? 

T J 

Here it is just over 7 years ago.... 

IMAG0394.jpg

20180617_112607.jpg

Edited by SailorBold
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 10/14/2021 at 9:17 AM, SailorBold said:

Doing good.. to the tallest leaf is about 9-10 feet.. 

Some pics from this morning.. noticed some hooks?  Or zig zags on some leaflets..

20211014_100803.jpg

20211014_100856.jpg

20211014_095615.jpg

Bea20211014_095406.jpg

Beautiful plant!  Nice to see a decent sized hybrid, looking good!  and-- is that a claret cup cactus (E. triglochidiatus) peeking out from beneath the fronds?

• Like 1

Wow! This are some beautiful Jubaeas! Here's my "Blue" Jubaea Chilensis in a 5g pot. Planning to put it in the ground around March. Maybe one day it'll look as good as all of yours. 

20211212_174217.jpg

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, AZ_Palm_Guy said:

Wow! This are some beautiful Jubaeas! Here's my "Blue" Jubaea Chilensis in a 5g pot. Planning to put it in the ground around March. Maybe one day it'll look as good as all of yours. 

20211212_174217.jpg

Nice looking Jubaea!  I just germinated some blue Jubaea seeds that I got from RPS a few months ago.

• Like 2

Jesse, I get confused by these two as well. 

I have one palm that is very confusing to me too.  I thought it was Butia but it is sooooo slow compared to my Butias, and I think the leaves are reduplicate.

What do you think? Tell me if you need additional pics. Then too, hybrids ARE out there.

Thanks in advance.

3ECF8AF2-F2FB-4166-AB3B-2EBB6D285D4A.jpeg

Jesse, I get confused by these two as well. 

I have one palm that is very confusing to me too.  I thought it was Butia but it is sooooo slow compared to my Butias, and I think the leaves are reduplicate.

What do you think? Tell me if you need additional pics. Then too, hybrids ARE out there.

Thanks in advance.

3ECF8AF2-F2FB-4166-AB3B-2EBB6D285D4A.jpeg

21 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

What are your summer highs like?

That thing got big!

Usually we're in the upper 90's - to low 100's with heat waves mixed in here & there. But we only hit about 108-109f durning extreme heat waves. 

1 minute ago, Jubaea_James760 said:

Usually we're in the upper 90's - to low 100's with heat waves mixed in here & there. But we only hit about 108-109f durning extreme heat waves. 

Fingers crossed that mine likes my spot as much as yours.  We get hotter than you in the summer but I bet overnight lows are similar and we’re usually probably a little warmer in the winter.  Are you 8b?

• Like 1

Yes we're 8b.  

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 6:48 PM, Hutch said:

I've had them for about 8 or 9 years in ground ....and i actually don't feed them at all ....,well not anymore.. The soil here is river bed silt...when I used fertilizer they burnt Orange...soo haven't done that for 2 years now! Largest one I have ..milk jug for reference

16344279782629027734693177215782.jpg

Those are obviously much bigger than I remembered.  Not sure why I thought they were smaller. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 1:14 AM, MarkbVet said:

Beautiful plant!  Nice to see a decent sized hybrid, looking good!  and-- is that a claret cup cactus (E. triglochidiatus) peeking out from beneath the fronds?

That it is.. I have many of these all over..

6 hours ago, SailorBold said:

That it is.. I have many of these all over..

Me too lol...about 200 varieties of cacti, yuccas, agaves, sotols, etc. in the Portland Oregon area.   Plus some palms of course!  Happy holidays...  Mark

• Like 1

We're getting ready for a cold spell...soo here they go...will send some snow pics here ..looks like I'm gonna get 5to8 at some point..!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hutch said:

We're getting ready for a cold spell...soo here they go...will send some snow pics here ..looks like I'm gonna get 5to8 at some point..!

brrrr.  No idea how much snow I'll get, a few inches is likely at least.  I've got prior pics of cactus garden completely covered when we had 10-12 inches one year, smaller plants were just white buried mounds lol.  Larger plants tend to lean and sometimes break if snow weight gets too much.  Hopefully the tall cacti do ok, and my pindo palm-- this is the coldest it's had to endure so far.   (I'm not worried about the windmill palm).  All my potted palms will come indoors for a few days when it's down in the teens.   Good luck and send pics!