IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Patrick Schafer Hybrids

Fallen Munk

Every small strap leaf JxXX I have gotten has gone toes up. My last one hung on for 18 months. Zero issues with BxJxx . They’re just really finicky and I haven’t figured out how to get them out of the strap leaf stage :rant:

1 hour ago, RJ said:

Every small strap leaf JxXX I have gotten has gone toes up. My last one hung on for 18 months. Zero issues with BxJxx . They’re just really finicky and I haven’t figured out how to get them out of the strap leaf stage :rant:

Bummer, hate to hear this.  I'm assuming same type of soil, same care, etc for both variants?

58 minutes ago, Scott W said:

Bummer, hate to hear this.  I'm assuming same type of soil, same care, etc for both variants?

Yep… even in my grow room. :unsure:

3 hours ago, RJ said:

Yep… even in my grow room. :unsure:

Every young Jx from Patrick is dying? That must be the j x yatay or just Jxb? Are they dying before going pinnate? I have a 3x9” JxB yatay arriving tomorrow. Said to be “pinnate”. I’m hoping that’s only really little ones having that mortality rate and that this ones a survivor then I guess. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Every young Jx from Patrick is dying? That must be the j x yatay or just Jxb? Are they dying before going pinnate? I have a 3x9” JxB yatay arriving tomorrow. Said to be “pinnate”. I’m hoping that’s only really little ones having that mortality rate and that this ones a survivor then I guess. 

All I’m saying is that for some reason I don’t have any luck with strap leaf Jubx palms. I have older ones that I have purchased with zero issues. It could’ve certainly be something I’m doing incorrectly. YMMV as always. :greenthumb:

2 hours ago, Swolte said:

I've never had an issue with the strap leafs. Sure you're not overwatering?

Could be I’m not sure but I’ve tried both more and less water . I’m sure it’s not an issue with the hybrid but the grower :36_14_15[1]:

• Like 1

Arrivals, good thing Patrick charges for pot size not tree size. These were each under 100$ . The 4x10 are well into 5gal size!  Yatay x queen with its bright green boots, B/J x Queen about to split out of the pot, and jubaea x yatay that I thought was “pinnate” but he meant the others. Compared to yatay x jub can see the differences. Very happy. Definitely need to transplant/feed yatay mule and bujubiagrus they are root bound and a bit yellow older fronds. The B/j x q trunk almost the diameter of the pot. How long between transplants is ok? If I transplant into 5 gal now would it be too soon to plant in ground this summer say 4-6 months.

7E3CA775-21D5-4F6A-AC2C-DA810A38EB7B.jpeg

F1844002-3515-4357-BB48-543892E07FE8.jpeg

515F0403-C619-4375-8591-1A08EA421E10.jpeg

95F8536D-9B52-4BAF-AAFA-6E14DF4E7A80.jpeg

EAD43BA5-D518-4AA5-A194-385BBE735F6D.jpeg

42FBC4B0-A9AA-49B5-AC16-1FDD5E844DB7.jpeg

E0CDBD5C-59E3-47D4-A695-1F0903F7D55A.jpeg

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Chester B said:

@NWpalms@206 those mule are huge.  Definitely a good value.

They will barely stand upright in those pots. As anxious as I am to upsize, I’ll just wait until April and go in ground. They’re bursting at the seams, literally. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

Received these today

Yatay x Jubaea

Butia x Parajubaea sunkha 

29A0C9D7-3586-4A33-B5C7-464FB8528BCB.jpeg

21C0B5A5-8545-4AD1-9C05-633C90BCE464.jpeg

2 of each? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

2 of each? 

Yep.  Wanted to be safe and make sure I had a backup.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Nice, that’s my logic and even better if they both turn out great! I’ve got everything in doubles. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chester B said:

Received these today

Yatay x Jubaea

Butia x Parajubaea sunkha 

Those look great!  Gonna really take off this summer.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chester B said:

Two is one, and one is none. 

You can plant them in different conditions and compare growth habits. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

Those look great!  Gonna really take off this summer.  

I hope so. They’re under the growl lights 24/7 for the next while so I hope that helps. Going to get them repotted this weekend and follow your advice about moving them up in size quickly. Nothing but aquarium water on these while potted. 

2 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Two is one, and one is none. 

You can plant them in different conditions and compare growth habits. 

Definitely. Although I have no idea where to actually put them in my yard, but at least I have plenty of time to think about it. 

• Like 2

On 1/23/2022 at 3:27 PM, NWpalms@206 said:

Patrick told me that the JxB (yatay) are quite  'finicky' as seedlings, and 'slower than B. yatay xJ".   Dunno if that applies to JxB. odorata

Edited by MarkbVet
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 9:31 PM, Chester B said:

I hope so. They’re under the growl lights 24/7 for the next while so I hope that helps. Going to get them repotted this weekend and follow your advice about moving them up in size quickly. Nothing but aquarium water on these while potted. 

Definitely. Although I have no idea where to actually put them in my yard, but at least I have plenty of time to think about it. 

Make those palms growl!!  :mrlooney:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

Patrick told me that the JxB (yatay) are quite  'finicky' as seedlings, and 'slower than B. yatay xJ". 

There's always more of a genetic lottery effect with these hybrids but my strap leaved J x By was put in the ground before winter here and is doing very well (I do obviously protect it). Already going pinnate. I planted it close to a special Chamaerops of similar size (Chamaerops are a very robust plant here) and the hybrid is clearly outperforming it.

Edited by Swolte
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, RJ said:

Imo the YxJ is a real winner. Cant wait to put mine in the ground. 

Im kinda with you on that one, such a good looking hybrid. Sadly the Yatay x Jub that inspired me to get 2, (I think TonyDFW) has died in the 2021 freeze @ 3f. That tree was a beauty!

• Like 1

Got a Template for my custom engraved 3x6” tree labels (Corrected the ODORATA spelling) got ones for 2 BUPARAJUBAEA, BUTIAGRUS, BUJUBIAGRUS, JUBUTIA, AND BUJUBAEA. Here’s their  example before engraved. 

F74BEA00-C2CE-44FD-AF53-F4EBA8CBDC0A.jpeg

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Got a Template for my custom engraved 3x6” tree labels (Corrected the ODORATA spelling) got ones for 2 BUPARAJUBAEA, BUTIAGRUS, BUJUBIAGRUS, JUBUTIA, AND BUJUBAEA. Here’s their  example before engraved. 

Who is doing your engraved labels and what is the cost like?

11 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

Who is doing your engraved labels and what is the cost like?

engravedplantlabels.com (Sunshine Engraving) and theyre like $7.50 each and 2$ for each 20" metal stake/mount.  Very reasonable priced @ less than $10 per palm. ill post pics when they arrive, should ship monday or tuesday.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

F74BEA00-C2CE-44FD-AF53-F4EBA8CBDC0A.jpeg

Nice looking! Cant afford to do these for 200+ cacti etc, but wish I could! 

Edited by MarkbVet

6 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

engravedplantlabels.com (Sunshine Engraving) and theyre like $7.50 each and 2$ for each 20" metal stake/mount.  Very reasonable priced @ less than $10 per palm. ill post pics when they arrive, should ship monday or tuesday.

Very reasonable!  I'm a CNC machinist and would have a difficult time making them that affordably.  Just the time making the CAD/CAM file would cost that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

Nice looking! Cant afford to do these for 200+ cacti etc, but wish I could! 

Pretty Excited for them! And Ya no way I could label every plant I have. But the jubaea and butia hybrids will get spoiled. We will be on a local garden tour if I can get my stuff together in time this year, next for sure. So the labels will be nice for the palm trees that people will surely ask about.  I’ll probably have 15-20 palms labeled. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Finally in the ground Butia x coco queen , Butia x PJT and BxLytoWedd. All 3 got prime spots in the front planter. Hoping for a great growing season and a couple mild winters =) 

T J 

20220502_182535.jpg

20220502_182521.jpg

20220428_173336.jpg

• Like 4

T J 

8 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Finally in the ground Butia x coco queen , Butia x PJT and BxLytoWedd. All 3 got prime spots in the front planter. Hoping for a great growing season and a couple mild winters =) 

T J 

20220502_182535.jpg

20220502_182521.jpg

20220428_173336.jpg

That's gonna look great man

I'm super tempted to get one of those lyto mules

13 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

I'm super tempted to get one of those lyto mules

Get one I think you'll be happy with your purchase , I went with the 8x12 cause I killed my first seedling 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

Hi....Anyone have his current availability list they can PM or post?

• Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

17 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Hi....Anyone have his current availability list they can PM or post?

This is what he emailed me a couple weeks ago 

Capture+_2022-05-03-19-27-38.png

• Like 1

Ugh... finally found 3 30 Gallon Canaries for a focal point in my "New Yard", total cost around $950, or can spend it on hybrid Patrix seedlings. I cant decide. 3 Jubaea x Butia Yatay would give me the same look (I hope uniform), just muuuuuuch longer in time.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

8 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Ugh... finally found 3 30 Gallon Canaries for a focal point in my "New Yard", total cost around $900, or can spend it on hybrid Patrix seedlings. I cant decide. 3 Jubaea x Butia Yatay would give me the same look (I hope uniform), just muuuuuuch longer in time.

Feel free to check me if I'm wrong but I get the vibe that you're looking for sooner gratification rather than waiting 10 years for the sane cost/results. 

12 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Feel free to check me if I'm wrong but I get the vibe that you're looking for sooner gratification rather than waiting 10 years for the sane cost/results. 

Well, not necessarily. I just wanted something that would live through the next inevitable TX palm wipeout. Plus My two Canaries both lived, but I am losing my Favorite Canary for the cities wider sidewalk. I decided what's better than 1, is 3 new ones. I did lose my Jxb in the freeze, but the trunk was only about 10 inches across and tip of frond about 6Ft, and was planted on the north side of a fence. IT would have lived if I had wrapped it, or had it in a better spot, but got crown rot and died, while some fronds remained partially green. The new spot will get all day sun.

Edited by Collectorpalms

5 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Well, not necessarily. I just wanted something that would live through the next inevitable TX palm wipeout. Plus My two Canaries both lived, but I am losing my Favorite Canary for the cities wider sidewalk. I decided what's better than 1, is 3 new ones. I did lose my Jxb in the freeze, but the trunk was only about 10 inches across and tip of frond about 6Ft, and was planted on the north side of a fence. IT would have lived if I had wrapped it, or had it in a better spot, but got crown rot and died, while some fronds remained partially green. The new spot will get all day sun.

I can't offer much advice there. I'm an hour down the road from you, in an apartment, and I brought everything indoors before I spent 10 days at the hotel I manage. Indoor temps got down to 38° here during Palmageddon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Ugh... finally found 3 30 Gallon Canaries for a focal point in my "New Yard", total cost around $950, or can spend it on hybrid Patrix seedlings. I cant decide. 3 Jubaea x Butia Yatay would give me the same look (I hope uniform), just muuuuuuch longer in time.

Hit Patric up he usually has larger sizes available. I personally would rather have a jxb myself but I totally get instant gratification especially for someone who had tons of gratification taken away from them 

T J 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

T J