IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Patrick Schafer Hybrids

Fallen Munk

4 hours ago, Merlyn said:

Yeah Scott and @NWpalms@206 I decided on the Sunkha hybrid as an experiment.  It's probably the only Parajubaea that can "sorta" tolerate the humidity in FL, so I figured it would be the best hybrid bet for good growth.  I really liked the looks of the bigger BxLW hybrid posted here earlier, only 5 years from a strap leaf in TX.  It wasn't in this thread, I can't remember who posted it:

894963582_ButiaxLytocaryum5yrfromstrapTX2.thumb.jpeg.e3f7e057389e09696980e0a75cbdbed5.jpeg

That's definitely @Matt N- Dallas's palm.  I saw it last April @OC2Texaspalmlvr and I'm pretty sure he provided excellent protection for it and looked really good. :greenthumb:

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

12 minutes ago, Fusca said:

That's definitely @Matt N- Dallas's palm.  I saw it last April @OC2Texaspalmlvr and I'm pretty sure he provided excellent protection for it and looked really good. :greenthumb:

I really like the look of this hybrid. I purchased a bxhoen from Patric a couple years ago hopping it might be a bit hardier . I’m 99% sure it’s just a butia though. I don’t think he’s doing bxhoen anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fusca said:

Well I hope Matt provides an update on this palm cause it is magnificent. Way better looking palm , then the more variable mule palms 

T J 

• Upvote 1

T J 

4 hours ago, RJ said:

I really like the look of this hybrid. I purchased a bxhoen from Patric a couple years ago hopping it might be a bit hardier . I’m 99% sure it’s just a butia though. I don’t think he’s doing bxhoen anymore. 

Hope you got what it's supposed to be - would definitely be a shame if Patric couldn't provide another one.

Jon Sunder

5 hours ago, RJ said:

Pics? 

2 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Well I hope Matt provides an update on this palm cause it is magnificent. Way better looking palm , then the more variable mule palms 

T J 

The B x Lyto Wedd pictured above lives on continues to grow in San Marcos, TX.  On 02/12/21 I defoliated, wrapped w/ a heating cable, wrapped w/ cotton painter’s tarps and a waterproof tarp.  The Valentine’s week cold blast brought freezing rain, 10” of snow, an ultimate low of 6*F, and extended power outages due to the failure of the TX electric grid- the coldest temps in this area since 1989.  This palm and the other hybrids grew back well during 2021’s growing season. 

1st pic- 04/15

2-10/20

3-07/21

4-12/21

5-12/21

946D78E8-1697-4E68-9906-D8A9DD175786.jpeg

1E53D7C8-9E51-4418-90A0-875477C6A5EF.jpeg

1E178872-55AE-449C-8272-ADA76DEF27AE.jpeg

9683D45A-26B6-4DCC-850C-142BAC639997.jpeg

3E1B5E62-0F9A-42D9-ACBD-9EC62AF532A5.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

The B x Lyto Wedd pictured above lives on continues to grow in San Marcos, TX.

Thanks Matt for the update !!! Garden looks great and your BxLytoWedd is an inspiration for all the many seedlings out there haha :shaka-2: How much CT you think you have now ? 

T J 

T J 

14 hours ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

The B x Lyto Wedd pictured above lives on continues to grow in San Marcos, TX.  On 02/12/21 I defoliated, wrapped w/ a heating cable, wrapped w/ cotton painter’s tarps and a waterproof tarp.  The Valentine’s week cold blast brought freezing rain, 10” of snow, an ultimate low of 6*F, and extended power outages due to the failure of the TX electric grid- the coldest temps in this area since 1989.  This palm and the other hybrids grew back well during 2021’s growing season.

That is a beauty for sure!!! :drool:

This thread keeps making me want to email Patrix to order more....but I really need to restrain myself.  :blink:

Definitely will heavily consider doing this cross once my Lytocaryum start flowering consistently.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scott W said:

That is a beauty for sure!!! :drool:

This thread keeps making me want to email Patrix to order more....but I really need to restrain myself.  :blink:

Definitely will heavily consider doing this cross once my Lytocaryum start flowering consistently.

Its tough, ill probably make it a few weeks then cave lol Id have no problem ordering a few more. Maybe another JxB if hes got one, a B x Lyto, and a yatay x queen. Excited for what he does in 2022!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 9:59 AM, Trustandi said:

@NWpalms@206 i know right. I can't stop getting new palms from Patrick. He always has awesome hybrids.  

Ya I lasted until my next paycheck haha, 3 more incoming from patrick...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Trustandi said:

@NWpalms@206 does he have a new list for January? 

Not sure, I’m still ordering off the oct list but have about exhausted it. I may check with him what his spring plans are, or an estimation on some new arrivals. Personally there’s not much more I’m after except pure Jubaea, jubaea x queen (#1), and maybe some trachy hybrids. And specifically Rich Lindbergs jubutia F3 x queen. The JxQ is gonna be tough to come up with. This round is Jubaea x yatay, yatay x queen, and another  (B/J) x Q. 

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Like 1

I wanted the Bxlyto but If I’m not mistaken the one pictured above was found to be less hardy than a standard mule. I gotta keep my heavy protection palms to a minimum or winter will be too stressful. 

On 1/4/2022 at 8:02 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Thanks Matt for the update !!! Garden looks great and your BxLytoWedd is an inspiration for all the many seedlings out there haha :shaka-2: How much CT you think you have now ? 

T J 

Thank you!  The B x Lyto Wedd. has 9’ of trunk currently.  The first two growing seasons - growth seemed slow, then the last four - she grew like a rocket.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

Thank you!  The B x Lyto Wedd. has 9’ of trunk currently.  The first two growing seasons - growth seemed slow, then the last four - she grew like a rocket.  

Was I correct that it was observed to be less hardy than a standard mule? I thought i read that you had more severe damage on the lyto as compared to BXQ... has this kept true, or was that as a younger palm?  I really like this palm but worried its gonna be too high maintenance in cold. So i went with the yatay mule which seems to have very similar visual appeal as the Lyto mule, but maybe slightly more cold tolerant? 

2 hours ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

Here's mine. Put it in a 2gal pot when it showed up. Pretty sure it wants a repot in the spring - it's got some weight for such a small palm. 

20220118_172232.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

Dang 9' CT that has to be the tallest BxLytoWedd out there Nice growing :greenthumb:

T J 

T J 

On 1/17/2022 at 4:37 PM, NWpalms@206 said:

Not sure, I’m still ordering off the oct list but have about exhausted it. I may check with him what his spring plans are, or an estimation on some new arrivals. Personally there’s not much more I’m after except pure Jubaea, jubaea x queen (#1), and maybe some trachy hybrids. And specifically Rich Lindbergs jubutia F3 x queen. The JxQ is gonna be tough to come up with. This round is Jubaea x yatay, yatay x queen, and another  (B/J) x Q. 

I want some Parajubaea X Jubaea  or the reverse cross, if Patrick ends up producing some of these.  I have a hunch they'll look very tropical and be pretty hardy.  I've got a 2 gallon supermule on the way; they won't ship til March.  Love to get a JxB too; already have B. yatay X Jubaea but it's a small seedling.  Looks like those yatay crosses are gonna be cool looking plants!   Good luck with yours!

Edited by MarkbVet

On 7/4/2021 at 11:23 AM, Fallen Munk said:

Thread update.  Both palms in the ground.  JxBY in morning shade (first photo) , BYXJ in morning sun (second photo).  Smaller J dominant starting to catch up to the BY dominant and looks healthier with no yellowing leaves.  Both roughly the same size now.

JubaeaXyatay2.jpg

yatayXjubaea.jpg

Yeah that yellowish is slightly concerning, as is the fact that JxB is catching up with the BxJ...Patrick says that the latter cross is faster growing.  Maybe something is bothering the BxJ hybrid, causing the yellowing and slowed growth?  Hope it's nothing serious.  Thanks much for the update!

Edited by MarkbVet

On 10/18/2021 at 11:36 AM, Jesse PNW said:

OC2palmlover those look great.  How old?

Looking at his lineup, aside from Jubaea x Butia and Butia x Yatay (which I guess is B odorata x B yatay?), I'm trying to figure out what the next most hardy cross is. There was an older thread here where a guy had posted that his Butia x PJb cocoides had survived a dry 12F.  And I believe cocoides is the least hardy of those three species but it seems like no one agrees on how hardy sunkha or torallyi are.  

I love his B. yatay X Jubaea cross (just got one)... looks so tall/thin and feathery.   or the reverse cross, though the seedlings are supposedly more finicky and slower growing.  Would love to see a PJB X J also!  On paper, torallyi grows up to 11,000 feet elevation, so should be more cold hardy, but people seem to be finding that sunkha is less finicky in cultivation and more wet tolerant.  I'd love to see a hybrid of sunka and Jubaea, but would be ok with a torallyi x Jubaea too. 

7 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

Yeah that yellowish is slightly concerning, as is the fact that JxB is catching up with the BxJ...Patrick says that the latter cross is faster growing.  Maybe something is bothering the BxJ hybrid, causing the yellowing and slowed growth?  Hope it's nothing serious.  Thanks much for the update!

Yellowing was from fertilizing in a pot without flushing out the salts on occasion.  Today's photos.  The BY X J is really compact and full, while the J X BY is real spindly.  It almost looks straight up Butia to me.  I expected to see much more Jubaea influence.

hybrids10.jpg

hybrids11.jpg

14 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

Yellowing was from fertilizing in a pot without flushing out the salts on occasion.  Today's photos.  The BY X J is really compact and full, while the J X BY is real spindly.  It almost looks straight up Butia to me.  I expected to see much more Jubaea influence.

hybrids10.jpg

hybrids11.jpg

I have a 3x9 inch  "pinnate"   JxBY shipping today ill post pic when it arrives.  A 4x10" Yatay x Queen and 4x10" B/J x Q also. Love having palms on the way. Except for when fedex ships my Chamaerops from florida and decides to send it completely off track through north dakota's 0f daytime and -27f night temps. Needless to say it was delayed and there for 2 weeks, on arrival spear pulled immedately looked like death. and its in the garbage now. I got my money back but a shame!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Except for when fedex ships my Chamaerops from florida and decides to send it completely off track through north dakota's 0f daytime and -27f night temps. Needless to say it was delayed and there for 2 weeks, on arrival spear pulled immedately looked like death. and its in the garbage now. I got my money back but a shame!

Same thing happened to me last winter with USPS.  They kept rerouting my shipment for a month and by the time it arrived all the palms had turned to compost.  The box smelled like the underside of a lawnmower before I even opened it.   Surprisingly though there was one palm in there that actually grew roots in shipping.  A princeps X fortunei hybrid sent along as a freebie was the only one to survive.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Chester B said:

@Fallen Munk do you have any photos of those palms taken from a side view instead of overhead?

I’ve got some in pots if that’s to your liking?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

hybrids10.jpg

hybrids11.jpg

Hmmm well if it's a pure Butia (things happen) that would explain its appearance and faster growth rate-- sorry if that's the case (though may still be a cool plant). I'm hoping my B. yatay x Jubaea cross (just got the seedling) is the real deal!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chester B said:

@Fallen Munk do you have any photos of those palms taken from a side view instead of overhead?

Page two of this thread has an older pic of two of mine. :greenthumb:

25 minutes ago, RJ said:

Page two of this thread has an older pic of two of mine. :greenthumb:

They look very similar from the side.  Any change in appearance since then?

On 1/20/2022 at 10:22 AM, Chester B said:

I'll take some when I get a chance.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 8:07 PM, Chester B said:

They look very similar from the side.  Any change in appearance since then?

Just bigger :D

but in all seriousness, you can definitely tell the difference in person. The boots and fiber are different. The JxB tends to be a bit greener at least at this point. 

On 1/20/2022 at 10:22 AM, Chester B said:

Here you go.  The bigger fuller one is BY X J.  The J X BY is underwhelming to say the least.  I really don't see much Jubaea influence at all, to me it's starting to look straight up Butia.

hybrids12.jpg

hybrids13.jpg

• Like 4

@Fallen MunkToo bad about the second palm.  I finally broke down and submitted an order, but did not get the JXB based on what people have been showing here in the forum.  Thanks for sharing the photos.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chester B said:

@Fallen MunkToo bad about the second palm.  I finally broke down and submitted an order, but did not get the JXB based on what people have been showing here in the forum.  Thanks for sharing the photos.

What did you get? Yatay x jub? I’ve got two of those, and cannot wait to see them look like some pics I’ve seen. I’ve got 4x10” yatay x queen, a 4x10” B/JxQ, and a 3x9” Jub x yatay (which I hope is not to disappoint now) on the way. Monday can’t come fast enough! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

What did you get? Yatay x jub? I’ve got two of those, and cannot wait to see them look like some pics I’ve seen. I’ve got 4x10” yatay x queen, a 4x10” B/JxQ, and a 3x9” Jub x yatay (which I hope is not to disappoint now) on the way. Monday can’t come fast enough! 

Based on photos and what I thought would work.

2 - B yatay x Jubaea

2 - B x PJS

I have an issue with only getting one, you never know if you'll get a dud or have something unforeseen happen.

I do have two regular mules already, that I got from TCHP.  Had them for a few years but when I got them they were two leaf seedlings so they are just now starting to look like something.

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chester B said:

Based on photos and what I thought would work.

2 - B yatay x Jubaea

2 - B x PJS

I have an issue with only getting one, you never know if you'll get a dud or have something unforeseen happen.

I do have two regular mules already, that I got from TCHP.  Had them for a few years but when I got them they were two leaf seedlings so they are just now starting to look like something.

And I thought it was just me. 2s all day, I just have to have comparisons to please my curiosity. And can identify the more vigorous/hardy ones. For what it’s worth, especially if hybridizing (I’ll likely never do). Except I got 1 BxPJS and 1 BxPJT. Although completely different sizes that was my 2 Parajubaeas to compare. Wish I had 2 of each though, I got 3 acres Im gonna plant an entire palm farm let the strongest survive! Never too many. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

And I thought it was just me. 2s all day, I just have to have comparisons to please my curiosity. And can identify the more vigorous/hardy ones. For what it’s worth, especially if hybridizing (I’ll likely never do). Except I got 1 BxPJS and 1 BxPJT. Although completely different sizes that was my 2 Parajubaeas to compare. Wish I had 2 of each though, I got 3 acres Im gonna plant an entire palm farm let the strongest survive! Never too many. 

I would've like to have gotten 3 of each,  but it adds up quick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chester B said:

I would've like to have gotten 3 of each,  but it adds up quick.

You ain’t lyin! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trustandi said:

@Fallen Munk nice shot! I like how you planted the BYxJ and arranged it with rocks & bamboos.

Thanks!  The rocks keep the squirrels from digging.

• Like 1