IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Before and after my Washy experienced 17F this morning :

WSimpson

My Washy before  and after 17F the morning of December 26th   . It will continuee to get more bronzed in the next week . It's frond hardy to 24F and trunk hardy to probably 15F but it has seen 16F unprotected . 

IMG_0051.thumb.JPG.493a45d2721bced7e94487fff707b114.JPGIMG_0052.thumb.JPG.6787dcec91c739f0c5b91c6f1ab22175.JPG

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 2

Hope it does ok.  You're playing the odds not protecting it some IMHO but I know it has made it a long time for you that way.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Thanks Allen ,

My biggest worry is that they will forecast a low of 20F and then a day before the cold hits they will forecast 15F or lower . 

My palm should be fine with 17F , thankfully . 

Will

16 minutes ago, Will Simpson said:

Thanks Allen ,

My biggest worry is that they will forecast a low of 20F and then a day before the cold hits they will forecast 15F or lower . 

My palm should be fine with 17F , thankfully . 

Will

I'll never forget in 2018 here when the forecast at 4 or 5pm said 8F and every hour or so they lowered it till it got to 0F that same night.  I never trust forecasts since. Do you ever have any rot issues?

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Allen ,

There are no rot issues with this palm . I do have to admit that the 16F it experienced without protection freaked me out . They were forecasting 18F or something and then all of the sudden I'm freaking out when I see it getting colder and colder . I should wrap it with incandescent Christmas lights and not wrap it with blankets until I  see some bad cold coming down . That way I get to turn on the lights and have that festive look , and when or if the cold comes down I can quickly wrap the trunk with blankets  and the lights will already be around the trunk  .

Will

IMG_0053.JPG

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 1

I don't want to threadjack here, but am I being overprotective of my Washy? It's in a 14" pot on my patio, and so far we've only seen one night of sub-freezing temps (31°F), with another 31°F night forecast for next week. I've been draping an old flannel sheet over it on any night below 35°F and I noticed I've bent some fronds and slightly tore one when I removed the sheet. Also, a stray cat spent the night under the sheet one night lol. I don't know the age of the tree, but it's approx 5 ft tall from the patio floor to the tallest frond. It's the only one of my plants I've left outside when we drop below 45°F. 

18 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I don't want to threadjack here, but am I being overprotective of my Washy? It's in a 14" pot on my patio, and so far we've only seen one night of sub-freezing temps (31°F), with another 31°F night forecast for next week. I've been draping an old flannel sheet over it on any night below 35°F and I noticed I've bent some fronds and slightly tore one when I removed the sheet. Also, a stray cat spent the night under the sheet one night lol. I don't know the age of the tree, but it's approx 5 ft tall from the patio floor to the tallest frond. It's the only one of my plants I've left outside when we drop below 45°F. 

Yeah, Washies are pretty tough and sounds like yours has some size to it.  Having some overhead canopy will definitely help with frost on the coldest nights (or a sheet) but I wouldn't worry about them with temps in the upper 20's for short duration like we usually experience.  25 or below I would protect if your patio is not covered.

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

It's biggest enemy is the wind. I'm in a "middle" apartment with another building across the way so it's just a blast tunnel when these cold fronts come through but it's still throwing new fronds like nothing lol. 

11 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

It's biggest enemy is the wind. I'm in a "middle" apartment with another building across the way so it's just a blast tunnel when these cold fronts come through but it's still throwing new fronds like nothing lol. 

The main difference between  a pot and the ground is that a pot can freeze totally though whereas the ground will only freeze to a certain depth . Around here  I have only seen the ground freeze a couple inches during a really cold period , but if I had a pot outside it would've been a brick  of  ice , and many plants don't like to have their roots totally frozen . That to me that  is the biggest difference between a pot and the ground . I don't know how sensitive Washys are to having their roots totally frozen . Even a  night slightly below 32F can freeze a pot completely being that it is so exposed to the cold all around it . Just a thought , but if planted my  Filibusta should be hardy to 15F , a Filifera is even more hardy , but a Robusta is not as hardy .

Will

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

These things can survive brief dips into single digits in dry climates. They’re not going to look world-class again until summer comes, but they can survive.

Where are you located?

On 12/26/2020 at 2:01 PM, Will Simpson said:

My Washy before  and after 17F the morning of December 26th   . It will continuee to get more bronzed in the next week . It's frond hardy to 24F and trunk hardy to probably 15F but it has seen 16F unprotected . 

IMG_0051.thumb.JPG.493a45d2721bced7e94487fff707b114.JPGIMG_0052.thumb.JPG.6787dcec91c739f0c5b91c6f1ab22175.JPG

What was your subsequent daytime high?

3 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

Where are you located?

I'm just about 2 hours north of Houston. I doubt I'll ever see single digits here, but there was a wild ice storm 8 or 9 years ago that blasted the whole state. If it's ever gonna get that cold I'll def risk the hernia dragging this thing inside. 

is this a filibusta filifera or a robusta?

Edited by climate change virginia

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

11 hours ago, climate change virginia said:

is this a filibusta filifera or a robusta?

Probably 90% of Washingtonia that are sold here in nurseries or big box garden centers are filibusta sold as robusta.  If he got it from someone like@TexasColdHardyPalmsit could be pure filifera or robusta.

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

4 hours ago, Fusca said:

Probably 90% of Washingtonia that are sold here in nurseries or big box garden centers are filibusta sold as robusta.  If he got it from someone like@TexasColdHardyPalmsit could be pure filifera or robusta.

Just now, Will Simpson said:

My Washy is a Filibusta . I hope it doesn't get too much taller because it gets harder to protect the taller it gets .

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Fusca said:

Mine is a Filibusta .