IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal 'lisa'

ahosey01

Maybe I suck at using this forum - but I searched for this palm and couldn't find jack.  Anybody got any info they'd like to share?  Any photos of one growing?  Any experience growing them in a dry climate or hardiness reports?

I have a few more spaces for palms in my garden and have a few ideas of what to plant.  Think this might be one of them.

Would be great any info anyone has to share.

6 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

Maybe I suck at using this forum - but I searched for this palm and couldn't find jack.  Anybody got any info they'd like to share?  Any photos of one growing?  Any experience growing them in a dry climate or hardiness reports?

I have a few more spaces for palms in my garden and have a few ideas of what to plant.  Think this might be one of them.

Would be great any info anyone has to share.

My biggest has done fine in a pot here ( Kept in shifting sun.. Don't trust it in anything more, esp. during the summer ).. Com Pot of seedlings as well. Still a few years to know if they're the real deal, with the exception of three older seedlings i have as well. 

( ** Kind of an update to a update over in the Lisa thread in the general discussion section i guess** ) leaves on 2 others have started splitting, so, guess all 3 are not " Lisoids,"  Booo!,  lol.  Keeping then anyway..

For as tropical as they look, Tolerate quite a bit of cold and shouldn't have issues w/ your winter lows out there. Would definitely be among the most unusual palms you could grow.  **Be warned though, You'll likely want more, if you come across any.:yay:

• Like 4

There's some great pics in this post: 

Very likely that young ones may not turn out to be "Lisoids" (had the same experience as Silas). I don't know if there's enough reliable data on whether they would be more or less hardier. In terms of hardiness/drought resilience, I'd treat them like the palmetto variety they were derived from. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Swolte said:

There's some great pics in this post: 

Very likely that young ones may not turn out to be "Lisoids" (had the same experience as Silas). I don't know if there's enough reliable data on whether they would be more or less hardier. In terms of hardiness/drought resilience, I'd treat them like the palmetto variety they were derived from. 

They're pretty tough, trust me, lol.. Anything that puts up with our constant 112-118F heat, and accidentally letting them dry out a bit too long  -at the same time-  stuck in containers.. is nearly bullet proof ( again though, none sit in full all day sun though ).. 

Was considering either giving away or planting out the oldest 3 seedlings that now appear to be regular ol' Palmetto  but, considering how close the Lisa i'd collected off that year ( at Kopsick ) sits to the park's giant Sabal causiarum  near by, want to let them develop a little more ( maybe they'll be something -else- interesting. Wishful thinking perhaps? :D ) Anyway,..  Hoping at least some of the other seedlings will turn out to be the real deal once finally separated next year.

• Like 2

The Sabal Lisa below, photographed in the wild in 2008, is the mother of most of the seeds and seedlings I sent out over the years. It is also my avatar.

Sabal palmetto Lisa, Ft. Myers, 2008

1340911824_SabalLisa1-412-08.thumb.JPG.2a4a0d5c43b99a9fd0cfe91878b8f59f.JPG122636454_SabalLisa1-112-08.thumb.JPG.b28165c81e066b5d63371ce10c498e05.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

2 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

The Sabal Lisa below, photographed in the wild in 2008, is the mother of most of the seeds and seedlings I sent out over the years. It is also my avatar.

1340911824_SabalLisa1-412-08.thumb.JPG.2a4a0d5c43b99a9fd0cfe91878b8f59f.JPG122636454_SabalLisa1-112-08.thumb.JPG.b28165c81e066b5d63371ce10c498e05.JPG

Thanks for sharing! I have read about this palm before and it is so interesting! I wonder how its cold hardiness and growth rate compare to that of regular Sabal palmetto. Thanks PalmatierMeg!

PalmsUSA

I expect it would be comparably hardy, perhaps a bit leaf hardier. Those "pleated" leaves feel like plastic.

Meg

Florida

I can’t vouch for its cold hardiness compared to palmetto, but in the seedling stage is much slower growing than regular-leaf form palmetto.  I’ve grown out several batches of seed and approximately 10%-15% have turned out with the ‘Lisa’ leaf form.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Have you ever seen any with a trunk available in any nurseries near you?

I just drove 12 hours for an Agathis robusta. Been known to make a pilgrimage for a plant I want.

I’ve never seen any at all available in TX before.  I’ve seen a few large potted Lisa’s in FL, but not trunking ones, though they’re probably available somewhere in FL.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

I’ve never seen any at all available in TX before.  I’ve seen a few large potted Lisa’s in FL, but not trunking ones, though they’re probably available somewhere in FL.  

They were originally discovered near where I live in SWFL and described ~2006, named after the discoverer's wife. They haven't been grown commercially as far as I know so are rare and hard to come by.

• Like 3

Meg

Florida

13 minutes ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

6 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

They were originally discovered near where I live in SWFL and described ~2006, named after the discoverer's wife. They haven't been grown commercially as far as I know so are rare and hard to come by.

Agree.. Have seen a few larger specimens.. none w/ any trunk though, all in FL.. Most found for sale will be smaller ( Bands to maybe 5 gal - Unless someone is hiding bigger specimens out there- ). Pretty steady grower ( in the ground ), so won't take long to get to trunking size from something smaller.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

I can’t vouch for its cold hardiness compared to palmetto, but in the seedling stage is much slower growing than regular-leaf form palmetto.  I’ve grown out several batches of seed and approximately 10%-15% have turned out with the ‘Lisa’ leaf form.  

100% agree. So much smaller, narrower fronds than the regular palmetto I have.  Very, very slow growing.

Mine came from Meg.

3 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I expect it would be comparably hardy, perhaps a bit leaf hardier. Those "pleated" leaves feel like plastic.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks!

Painfully slow. 

• Like 1

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

My 5 year old Lisa's are weathering their first zone 8a winter right now...let's see if they make it.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

I love sabals. Probably my favorite genus on the planet. 

But Sabal lisa is the fugliest MF of them all IMO. LOL Looks like she got a virus. 

Just my opinion though. You do you.

10 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

But Sabal lisa is the fugliest MF of them all IMO. LOL Looks like she got a virus. 

:o Uh oh!

f71776b613594f080f9fc6368df55d28b26cc544

:mrlooney::lol:

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

I’m dying!! LOL.

I got Boojum trees in my yard.  The line between beauty and ugly with my plants has already been blurred...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dartolution said:

I like palms....

Ever heard the saying, "So ugly she's cute?" To each his own. Even ugly palms need love. They are a mesmerizing palm seen in person.

• Like 3

Meg

Florida

I don't understand why you people hate the look of these fronds IMVHO these are the prettiest palmettos

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

1 minute ago, climate change virginia said:

I don't understand why you people hate the look of these fronds IMVHO these are the prettiest palmettos

I’m in the same boat as you.  The way I look at it... It’s visually as close as you can get to the simple-leaf palms (i.e. Licuala or Marojejya) you can only grow in the tropics for people growing them in the subtropics or the desert.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

I’m in the same boat as you.  The way I look at it... It’s visually as close as you can get to the simple-leaf palms (i.e. Licuala or Marojejya) you can only grow in the tropics for people growing them in the subtropics or the desert.

:greenthumb: Preach it!

The " Foxy Lady " for those w/out many Foxy Lady options ( Cue the Hendrix ).. 

SAM_2969.JPG.c6b80cda6a6e823fd161030fa4e7c026.JPG

SAM_2970.JPG.9b71492cb727488044aa08974e0b94d6.JPG

SAM_2971.JPG.e4dd93a7390bc5f7569a5ff4b5286640.JPG

The thirst is real...:drool:< Cue the Joey Santore / Crime Pays, but Botany doesn't  trademark Cat Call > She's a looker:wub2::wub2:       :D

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

The thirst is real...:drool:< Cue the Joey Santore / Crime Pays, but Botany doesn't  trademark Cat Call > She's a looker:wub2::wub2:       :lol:

ok chill out

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

50 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

:greenthumb: Preach it!

The " Foxy Lady " for those w/out many Foxy Lady options ( Cue the Hendrix ).. 

SAM_2969.JPG.c6b80cda6a6e823fd161030fa4e7c026.JPG

SAM_2970.JPG.9b71492cb727488044aa08974e0b94d6.JPG

SAM_2971.JPG.e4dd93a7390bc5f7569a5ff4b5286640.JPG

The thirst is real...:drool:< Cue the Joey Santore / Crime Pays, but Botany doesn't  trademark Cat Call > She's a looker:wub2::wub2:       :D

Where is this particular palm?  Did you take these photos?

22 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

Where is this particular palm?  Did you take these photos?

Yes, my own Pics.. Taken back in the summer of 2014 when i lived across the Skyway, in Bradenton. One of two specimens ( maybe more by now? ) at Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum, St. Pete, FL.

** Is also where seedlings/ potential Lisas i'm growing came from**   Bigger one i have i bought from a fellow Palm talker in Sarasota.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

April 2019: The last photo of my mother Sabal Lisa before she collapsed from a palm weevil infestation after she must have suffered damage in Hurricane Irma in Sept. 2017 - makes me want to cry just looking at it. I saved what I could of her 2nd and final crop of seeds. She never flowered again so I knew something must be terribly wrong but I hoped she might recover. I was gifted her as a seedling in a small cone by a generous local PTer in 2008.

1462010003_SabalpalmettoLisa0104-30-19.thumb.JPG.279d8079acbe23dc9c35789b430024c2.JPG

• Like 8

Meg

Florida

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

April 2019: The last photo of my mother Sabal Lisa before she collapsed from a palm weevil infestation after she must have suffered damage in Hurricane Irma in Sept. 2017 - makes me want to cry just looking at it. I saved what I could of her 2nd and final crop of seeds. She never flowered again so I knew something must be terribly wrong but I hoped she might recover. I was gifted her as a seedling in a small cone by a generous local PTer in 2008.

1462010003_SabalpalmettoLisa0104-30-19.thumb.JPG.279d8079acbe23dc9c35789b430024c2.JPG

Is that Copernicia macroglossa to the left?

Siiiiiiick foliage in that section of your garden.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ahosey01 said:

Is that Copernicia macroglossa to the left?

Siiiiiiick foliage in that section of your garden.

Yes.

Meg

Florida

56 minutes ago, Brad Mondel said:

Surviving 20F hard frosts is zone 8a. 20201218_142144.thumb.jpg.0d8dd842d9713db6451b7e5d22d06158.jpgin

It's a tough palm, esp. when the growing point is still underground

Meg

Florida

Every picture I see of Sabal "lisa" be like:

Cynthia.jpg.b25fef3182828a6b823b35ca84a543e0.jpg

If you know, you know... 

Also, please be advised:

I am not trolling anyone who likes Sabal Lisa. Im just trying to give you guys a good laugh during this "fun" year we've had. 

But come on..... Lisa = cynthia. 

Sorry, not sorry. 

Edited by Dartolution
edited
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'm currently growing them from seed and the only thing I can tell about them is that at seedling stage at least they grow half as, if not only a third as fast as S. causiarum. They are growing in a hot spot inside, because of the lack of winter heat here. They will be a lot slower when planted out than they are in Florida but they are sort of a forget about long term project anyway.

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂