IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Schafer Butia hybrids

8B palms

On 12/3/2020 at 10:11 AM, Ben in Norcal said:

I gave that Butia x Polyandrococos away after growing it to 15g size.  Just looks like an ugly Butia...even Patric thinks that one is a disappointing cross.  No room for that in my yard!

Ditto

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 9:46 AM, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Id love to see photos of Butia X Lyto hybirds!  How long have those been around? 

20201205_140701.jpg

• Like 9

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Tons of pinnae

• Like 1

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

I’ve been growing Butia x Monty for a little over a year- it’s still in a pot (in San Marcos, TX).  So, nothing to report yet.  Seems to be growing at a decent rate.  Butia x Polyandrococcos is growing in Harlingen, TX.  It started out really slow and has picked up the pace since summer.  It’s an oddity at this point, but becoming very silver in color w/ a dainty leaf form. Reminds me of a silver, skinny-leaf form swirling Butia.  Butia x Lytocaryum Wed. Is growing in San Marcos, TX z8b and is a rocket for growth speed .- quadrupled in size since 2018.  It has a very graceful form, dark green leaves and resembles a slimmer mule.  I don’t know how cold hardy it is, I’m thinking less hardy than a mule.  It was small enough to wrap in the cold event of 2018 when the lows dropped to the upper teens.  I left one leaf exposed and it burned.  Now, it’s too large to protect and is on its own.  

• Like 1

Such a cool palm Matt!  Trunk looks just like a regular mule and the leaves look like Lytocaryum.  Hope the weather cooperates and doesn't get too cold for it.

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

Hope the weather cooperates and doesn't get too cold for it.

Im thinking this palm will be as cold hardy as a regular mule. Plus Matt's micro climate is doing wonders for his garden =) @Matt N- Dallas what size did you put it in the ground ? 

T J 

A bit late to the conversation, but here's my schizophylla x romanzoffiana. No issues down to 31F. It's kind of hard to get a good picture of it, but here's a recent pic of part of it. 

20201107_141831.thumb.jpg.36a6ec622cc7ceb3fc4293008dc3097e.jpg

• Like 7

@buffy great looking example of a better looking Mule in my eyes. Regular mules are so variable and im falling out of love of them haha 

5 hours ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

It was planted as a 1 gal size plant.

So when we doing a Texas palm society meeting at your house haha 

T J 

2 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

A bit late to the conversation, but here's my schizophylla x romanzoffiana. No issues down to 31F. It's kind of hard to get a good picture of it, but here's a recent pic of part of it. 

20201107_141831.thumb.jpg.36a6ec622cc7ceb3fc4293008dc3097e.jpg

Everything looks great Josue!  Love the shot of the dog on guard duty!  Have you had to adjust the pavers as the base thickens up?  It was so much thinner when you first planted it.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

6 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Everything looks great Josue!  Love the shot of the dog on guard duty!  Have you had to adjust the pavers as the base thickens up?  It was so much thinner when you first planted it.

Thanks! Ruah is THANKFULLY past his puppy mischief stage and mostly sleeps and barks at squirrels. 

Yeah, it's thickening up and pushing the polymetric sand up and out. I'll probably begin to chip away at the stones near the base, still keeping a snug fit around it. 

Josue, your dog has the most excellent tail !   (garden looks OK, also)

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

5 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Josue, your dog has the most excellent tail !   (garden looks OK, also)

^_^ 

20 hours ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

I’ve been growing Butia x Monty for a little over a year- it’s still in a pot (in San Marcos, TX).  So, nothing to report yet.  Seems to be growing at a decent rate.  Butia x Polyandrococcos is growing in Harlingen, TX.  It started out really slow and has picked up the pace since summer.  It’s an oddity at this point, but becoming very silver in color w/ a dainty leaf form. Reminds me of a silver, skinny-leaf form swirling Butia.  Butia x Lytocaryum Wed. Is growing in San Marcos, TX z8b and is a rocket for growth speed .- quadrupled in size since 2018.  It has a very graceful form, dark green leaves and resembles a slimmer mule.  I don’t know how cold hardy it is, I’m thinking less hardy than a mule.  It was small enough to wrap in the cold event of 2018 when the lows dropped to the upper teens.  I left one leaf exposed and it burned.  Now, it’s too large to protect and is on its own.  

Hey Matt, do you have any pictures of your butia x polyandrococos?

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

1 hour ago, freakypalmguy said:

Hey Matt, do you have any pictures of your butia x polyandrococos?

I have one of those too lol. not very pretty at this stage, at least.

20200905_084338.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dartolution said:

@Josue Diaz and you live in the desert? Could've fooled me with that first picture! wow!

lol yes, semi desert or steppe, i believe is what we're officially classified as. Only 11.5 inches of rain each year. And so far this rainy season (winter) has been very  dry and bright and sunny.  No significant rainfall here since April if i remember correctly. 

• Like 1

Thank you.  It’s growth has taken off since August and is gaining more silver coloring with age.  It has the stretched appearance of being shade grown, but it’s growing in full sun at 26* latitude.  Will be interesting to see what it grows into.  

21 hours ago, necturus said:

Yours looks like way better than the rest. Others may regret throwing the baby out with the bath water. 

Nooooope!

That one does look nicer than most of these do, especially the color.  Still a dud IMO.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I'll hold on to mine for the time being. It's not taking up too much space and who knows what it will look like trucking.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yatay X Jubaea one week difference between photos.  It went pinnate just a few days under the grow lights.    There is some damage where the tag was tied.   Looks like it was on there awhile.

hybrids3.jpg

hybrids2.jpg

1 hour ago, Fallen Munk said:

Yatay X Jubaea one week difference between photos.  It went pinnate just a few days under the grow lights.    There is some damage where the tag was tied.   Looks like it was on there awhile.

hybrids3.jpg

hybrids2.jpg

Wow, nice $3.33 price you got on that hybrid!  LOL!  Nice to see it growing at this time of the year though - looks great!

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

5 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Wow, nice $3.33 price you got on that hybrid!  LOL!  Nice to see it growing at this time of the year though - looks great!

Haha, don't I wish!  These hybrids ain't cheap or easy to get ahold of, but worth it.  I can't wait to compare the growth rate to my regular Jubaea's.  She's under some expensive grow lights that I invested in for growing 420 and decided I like growing palms better than growing weed.  Thanks for the comment!

18 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

Haha, don't I wish!  These hybrids ain't cheap or easy to get ahold of, but worth it.  I can't wait to compare the growth rate to my regular Jubaea's.  She's under some expensive grow lights that I invested in for growing 420 and decided I like growing palms better than growing weed.  Thanks for the comment!

Yeah, I didn't figure Patric was having a special 93% off end-of-year sale! :P

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

12 minutes ago, necturus said:

Anyone know if Patric sells pure Jubaea? I know he sells Parajubaea.

I don't think he does.  Tons of people out of California sell them on EBAY for next to nothing.  Or seeds by the hundreds - these aren't hard to source at a small size.

• Like 1