IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Schafer Butia hybrids

8B palms

So just ordered 2 of Patric's Butia x Monty (S.schizophylla x S.romanzoffiana). I know these are relatively a new cross of 2-3 years. Anyone growing these, and have any info on hardiness or pictures/experiences so far. Thanks

Craig 

14 hours ago, 8B palms said:

So just ordered 2 of Patric's Butia x Monty (S.schizophylla x S.romanzoffiana). I know these are relatively a new cross of 2-3 years. Anyone growing these, and have any info on hardiness or pictures/experiences so far. Thanks

Craig 

I have a seedling as well, just in a pot.  These have only started being made since the Coco Queens in my yard have started flowering.  :D

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I know those are very new. I placed an order and almost got those until I saw how the Butia x Lytocaryum weddellianum looks. My cocoqueen just started blooming and also some mules in my yard started as well. I might experiment. 

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I have a seedling as well, just in a pot.  These have only started being made since the Coco Queens in my yard have started flowering.  :D

Ben we definitely would like to see how these look in a few years! I bet it will be cool!

56 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

I know those are very new. I placed an order and almost got those until I saw how the Butia x Lytocaryum weddellianum looks. My cocoqueen just started blooming and also some mules in my yard started as well. I might experiment. 

Ben we definitely would like to see how these look in a few years! I bet it will be cool!

The Coco Queens are tough to hybridize - even Patric gets very minimal seed set around here.  But, we do get some.  I am not sure if he is selling any plants with Monty as the mother yet - but he's getting viable seeds.  He left me a few that are in the greenhouse here, so we will see if those germinate come spring!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I've fallin' out of love with the Butia hybrids that use Queen pollen. They're just so nutrient demanding compared to the others. I love the little bit of plumosity they develop, but I'm enjoying the carefree aspects of Butia crossed with Lyto and Parajubaea. The only dud so far is the tiny Butia crossed with Polyandrococos (I'm still gonna let it grow out to see what it does). 

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

2 hours ago, buffy said:

I've fallin' out of love with the Butia hybrids that use Queen pollen. They're just so nutrient demanding compared to the others. I love the little bit of plumosity they develop, but I'm enjoying the carefree aspects of Butia crossed with Lyto and Parajubaea. The only dud so far is the tiny Butia crossed with Polyandrococos (I'm still gonna let it grow out to see what it does). 

I gave that Butia x Polyandrococos away after growing it to 15g size.  Just looks like an ugly Butia...even Patric thinks that one is a disappointing cross.  No room for that in my yard!

Ben Rogers

3 hours ago, buffy said:

How long have you had them in the ground?  Have you found they need protection?

Chester: I get plenty of heat to drive growth during the warm season. Anything under 20F, and there's plenty of stress with these cocoid hybrids. I protect what I can under 20F. These were defoliated with our 8F night. I had the growing points wrapped in blankets. 

• Like 1

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

2 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Id love to see photos of Butia X Lyto hybirds!  How long have those been around? 

I'll see what I can do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buffy said:

Chester: I get plenty of heat to drive growth during the warm season. Anything under 20F, and there's plenty of stress with these cocoid hybrids. I protect what I can under 20F. These were defoliated with our 8F night. I had the growing points wrapped in blankets. 

Ok, good to know.  I don't quite get the heat you do, but temps under 20F are pretty rare for me.  I've only seen it once in 5 years, so these may be worth a shot if I can find space.

Yep. If you've only gone under 20F once in 5 years, I'd say give it a try. 

I really wanted to add a Butia X Parajubaea torallyi  to my latest mail order but all he had was 15 gallon or larger.   I've got Butia yatay X Jubaea chilensis and Jubaea chilensis X Butia yatay on the way.  Was supposed to be delivered today but tracking shows a delay.  Looks like sometime next week.  If anyone reading this has Butia X Parajubaea torallyi, I'd enjoy some photos.

Edited by Fallen Munk
syntax
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

I really wanted to add a Butia X Parajubaea torallyi  to my latest mail order but all he had was 15 gallon or larger.   I've got Butia yatay X Jubaea chilensis and Jubaea chilensis X Butia yatay on the way.  Was supposed to be delivered today but tracking shows a delay.  Looks like sometime next week.  If anyone reading this has Butia X Parajubaea torallyi, I'd enjoy some photos.

Great choices, I want to order some as well, but was planning on waiting until spring.  Nice to see someone else in the area getting some interesting palms.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chester B said:

Great choices, I want to order some as well, but was planning on waiting until spring.  Nice to see someone else in the area getting some interesting palms.

Thanks!  I'm just basically tired of watching my Jubaea grow at a snail's pace.  I love the look of pure Jubaea the best, but I'd sorta like to be alive to see them big so maybe this will be just the ticket.  I'd have waited until spring too, but I've got a grow room in the basement to put the little guys until it warms up.  I didn't want to take a chance that he'd be sold out by then.  I got the next size up from "liner" that he specified as "going pinnate".

• Like 1

It seems he always has some decent choices for our climate.  The extra bump in growth over the winter won't hurt in your basement.  I'd probably plant in April when it starts warming up and we still have regular rain so they have some time to settle before the real hot and dry stuff shows up.

You'll have to post some pics when you get them.

• Like 1

My S.schizophylla x S.romanzoffiana died in Ocala with a hard freeze. They probably won't be long term cold tolerant enough for Gainesville unless in a very protected area. This was just my experience. Other hybrids are fine.

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

On 12/4/2020 at 3:03 PM, Fallen Munk said:

If anyone reading this has Butia X Parajubaea torallyi, I'd enjoy some photos.

This thing has been a beast, not in the ground yet but once I find my forever home , I can't wait to see how it grows then. 

20201205_153434.jpg

• Like 5

T J 

11 hours ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

My S.schizophylla x S.romanzoffiana died in Ocala with a hard freeze.

Mine sailed thru 24° freezing rain in 2017. Didn't make it thru the same thing @ 20° tho. They were a beauty and I really want to try them again one day. 

20170820_154634.jpg

Edited by OC2Texaspalmlvr
added pic

T J 

3 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

This thing has been a beast, not in the ground yet but once I find my forever home , I can't wait to see how it grows then. 

Thanks for sharing that!  Really nice.  How long have you had it?  I notice that it's potted what appears to be a smaller pot inside the bigger pot.  What's your theory on that?

2 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

Thanks for sharing that!  Really nice.  How long have you had it?  I notice that it's potted what appears to be a smaller pot inside the bigger pot.  What's your theory on that?

So I potted it up upon arrival in May from Patric. Obviously I didn't want to move it up too much. I still wanted to give it full sun and not get overhead watering in my container ranch. So it presides on the patio by the pool. Its actually ready to be potted into the bigger pot already with roots coming out the bottom of the plastic pot 

20201205_154808.jpg

• Like 1

T J 

My Patrick hybrids arrived today and I potted them up to 1 gallon.  Yatay X Jubaea on left, Jubaea X Yatay on right.  At least that's what I think the right one is.  The left one is labeled Yatay X Jubaea, and the right one is labeled with some dudes name on it, "Steve Wolfe".  Hoping I didn't get someone else's order! 

I opened up the box and about had a heart attack.  the cardboard holding them apart had accordioned and they were both smashed tight against each other and the big one won.  The smaller one got some damage and lost a leaf and bent up a couple more and the root bulb was loosened up.  Hoping it will be ok.

hybrids.jpg

• Like 1

So I have 3 hybrids from Patric that didn't like to be potted up too early. Maybe they need more sun and didn't care to be in my seedling ranch inside my garage 

T J 

1 hour ago, Fallen Munk said:

My Patrick hybrids arrived today and I potted them up to 1 gallon.  Yatay X Jubaea on left, Jubaea X Yatay on right.  At least that's what I think the right one is.  The left one is labeled Yatay X Jubaea, and the right one is labeled with some dudes name on it, "Steve Wolfe".  Hoping I didn't get someone else's order! 

I opened up the box and about had a heart attack.  the cardboard holding them apart had accordioned and they were both smashed tight against each other and the big one won.  The smaller one got some damage and lost a leaf and bent up a couple more and the root bulb was loosened up.  Hoping it will be ok.

hybrids.jpg

Looking good.  I really need to find some space for some of these.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

So I have 3 hybrids from Patric that didn't like to be potted up too early. Maybe they need more sun and didn't care to be in my seedling ranch inside my garage 

The bigger one was pot bound, and the smaller one could have waited but I wanted to stabilize it with more soil after the shipping trauma.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fallen Munk said:

The bigger one was pot bound, and the smaller one could have waited but I wanted to stabilize it with more soil after the shipping trauma.  

I think they'll be fine.  Lotta money for teeny palms, but a lot of work went into creating them.  How much was the shipping if you don't mind me asking?

• Like 1

I have a couple of Jubaea yet to go pinnate that I went straight to 5 gallon.  probably would have done that with the hybrids if I had space in the grow room.

Jubaea9.jpg

2 minutes ago, Chester B said:

How much was the shipping if you don't mind me asking?

Patrick charged $25, actual was $12.25 via USPS Priority Mail.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fallen Munk said:

Patrick charged $25, actual was $12.25 via USPS Priority Mail.

That's not terrible.  Space or not, I'll be acquiring a few this spring.  I have some Sabal Causiarum planted out but not sure how they will do, so these could be my back ups.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chester B said:

That's not terrible.  Space or not, I'll be acquiring a few this spring.  I have some Sabal Causiarum planted out but not sure how they will do, so these could be my back ups.

I thought shipping was reasonable for sure.  I have Sabal causiarum seedlings in the grow room getting their third leaf.  Seeds were from Portugal and I only got three out of 25 to germinate.  A member of this group from Texas sent me a bunch of Sabal seeds, but they are likely all Texana and Mexicana I think.  Not sure how those would do in Oregon but I'm gonna give them a shot.  I have a Sabal minor from 2009 that is only about 2 foot total height.

Mexicana are fine here, just slow.   I had a couple but they got infested by pests over winter and I lost them, where palmettos were left alone for whatever reason.  Sabal minor does well here too, I have a whole bunch, with one that is finally getting some size to it.  The bigger one is unknown origin, and the rest I grew from seed from Oklahoma.

I got 5 beefy causiarum seedlings from @Josh-O, that are all now producing fans.  Faster growing than any other Sabal I have at that size.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I got 5 beefy causiarum seedlings from @Josh-O, that are all now producing fans.  Faster growing than any other Sabal I have at that size.

I might have to get with @Josh-O to see if he can send me some, thanks for the lead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

hybrids.jpg

Lol, yeah you got my palm!  But I forgive you :-)  Patrick offered to replace one that was basically ‘dead on arrival’, but I probably waited too long to chime in.  No biggie, he’s got more...

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swolf said:

Lol, yeah you got my palm!  But I forgive you :-)  Patrick offered to replace one that was basically ‘dead on arrival’, but I probably waited too long to chime in.  No biggie, he’s got more...

Steve

Sorry about that!  Just to verify, he was replacing a jubaea X yatay for you?  I want to make sure I've got the right hybrid.  This one was almost killed in transit, and still might croak.  It's real loose at the base, like it might be broken.

Sorry guys, I'm over posting pictures on this forum...they all post the wrong way and not worth the frustration...

Ben Rogers

56 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Sorry guys, I'm over posting pictures on this forum...they all post the wrong way and not worth the frustration...

Thats unfortunate Ben you have an amazing garden and deserves to be on display. If I recall there is always someone who fixes your pics =) 

• Like 1

T J 

5 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

I might have to get with @Josh-O to see if he can send me some, thanks for the lead.

unfortunately I don't have anymore

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24