IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer Down Under

greysrigging

The low is over Rottnest at the moment. So far I’m up to 30mm of rain from this. The heaviest falls are yet to come overnight though. It’s 15C and I gave in and lit the fire.....in February. It only peaked around 17C today. Going for a humid 26C tomorrow which will be nice.

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The low is now heading away from the south coast. All up this area got 44mm from the system. Not bad. February normally is around 25mm for the entire month. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Not sure what the BOM is up too. On Feb 8th when that low was passing near by I was watching the tally fill up on the web to around 34mm, until around 9am when the figure is used to for the daily total, the website then showed "--", as if there was no reading. The weather underground site near me showed around 34mm of rain as well. Since then the BOM is saying we had no reading that day and that Feb has had only around 12mm of rain total. Also back on December 31st 2020 the official reading was 10.8mm when the weather underground site down the road said 36mm. In fact since Xmas we have received around 110mm of rain, but you will not see that anywhere on the official site. My lakes are the highest they have ever been in February. Officially we have received about 50mm of rain since Xmas but in reality we have seen about 110mm of rain in the same period. Where did the other 60mm go? Average rainfall for Jan is about 25mm, and the same for February.  So 50mm around this time is normal.

A conspiracy??? Is someone trying to make out that we are in drought? We certainly aren't in drought.

The BOM is not that accurate!!!!

Looks like that Airport AWS is playing up  with there being some missing data on the 8th, so only 12mm showing for the month so far.  And the Town site is showing 41mm for Feb including 27mm on the 8th.

• Upvote 1

This is my fire bowl full of water taken on Wednesday morning. The really wet day was on Sunday. Also our 100000l water tank is full near the end of summer. I’ve even watered the garden with it too at times. We haven’t skimped on water use and that is the fullest I’ve seen it this late in summer. Normally we go down to 2/3 full by now.

5C7AB2BC-7551-4E1F-BE86-653CF34D40F8.jpeg

• Like 2

Looks like we could be getting up to 80mm of rain over the next 3 days. Thanks to a sub tropcal low comming down. Fingers crossed.

2021-02-14-at-9.50-AM-1.jpeg

Edited by PalmCode
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, PalmCode said:

Looks like we could be getting up to 80mm of rain over the next 3 days. Thanks to a sub tropcal low comming down. Fingers crossed.

2021-02-14-at-9.50-AM-1.jpeg

I hope you get a nice soaking with this system and not too much high winds. I was reading that it is combining with a cold front and will intensify on Tuesday. 

We had 37C here yesterday with quite a bit of humidity. It was not a dry heat. This morning it’s 19C and 100% rh. Going for a milder 24C today. 

9 hours ago, Tyrone said:

We had 37C here yesterday with quite a bit of humidity. It was not a dry heat. This morning it’s 19C and 100% rh. Going for a milder 24C today. 

Another huge difference between town and the airport. 28.9c in town and 36.7c at the airport.

4 hours ago, greysrigging said:

Another huge difference between town and the airport. 28.9c in town and 36.7c at the airport.

Actually I very much doubt that town reading. It was much hotter than that in town that day. There’s some big issues with the BOM readings in this area. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PalmCode said:

Well I probably got around 60mm of rain here from that low that dropped through on Monday. Very happy with that.

Very good. I was hoping you’d tell us what happened.

This humid February weather is getting me down. Roll on autumn.

• Upvote 1

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Well today shows the difference in WA’s climate over 3 degrees of latitude. Perth 32S is going for 39C today. Albany 35S is going for a cloudy 22C max. It’s like going to  another country.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Well today shows the difference in WA’s climate over 3 degrees of latitude. Perth 32S is going for 39C today. Albany 35S is going for a cloudy 22C max. It’s like going to  another country.

I will happily swap temps Tyrone. :D

Edited by sandgroper

12 hours ago, sandgroper said:

I will happily swap temps Tyrone. :D

But we’ve had those blimmin easterlies off the ocean almost at the verge of drizzling so it feels like you’re living in an air conditioning duct. Not pleasant.

Look what the easterlies did to my shadehouse this arvo. I had a main guy wire snap and some ripped shadecloth but luckily not a plant damaged. The shadehouse took the bullet for the palms.

I know what I will be doing this weekend.

3095E88D-19BC-4AB1-BE16-ECCE06807331.jpeg

4FC4EF6A-4EE3-456B-8704-4588150CF515.jpeg

F7406154-2DA1-4326-A02C-975428B22D47.jpeg

29A937BB-B48E-4677-813C-F3FDA70C3E75.jpeg

8 hours ago, Tyrone said:

But we’ve had those blimmin easterlies off the ocean almost at the verge of drizzling so it feels like you’re living in an air conditioning duct. Not pleasant.

Look what the easterlies did to my shadehouse this arvo. I had a main guy wire snap and some ripped shadecloth but luckily not a plant damaged. The shadehouse took the bullet for the palms.

I know what I will be doing this weekend.

3095E88D-19BC-4AB1-BE16-ECCE06807331.jpeg

4FC4EF6A-4EE3-456B-8704-4588150CF515.jpeg

F7406154-2DA1-4326-A02C-975428B22D47.jpeg

29A937BB-B48E-4677-813C-F3FDA70C3E75.jpeg

Bugger mate, that's no good at all.

Going for a top today of 25C after an 18C night and that’s the warm day. Then we have a run of pretty consistent weather of nights in the high teens and days in the low twenties. The nights and days will only vary by 3 or 4C. The odd bit of rain and thunderstorms coming through next week. 

The last couple of days have been noticeably cooler because of a vigorous southerly airstream but it is still showery and even looking a bit stormy today. I note Canberra was only about 6c yesterday morning!

• Upvote 1

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

The weather is gloomy cloudy, with brisk easterlies and drizzle at times with days barely reaching 21C. Not summer at all. Next week the temps slowly warm up into the mid twenties but not after we are bombarded by rain and thunderstorms coming down from the north, which will be interesting.

My summer rainfall was 118.7mm which compares well with the normal summer rainfall of 73.7mm for my area, and is a whopping 61% above average. We've had only 8 days above 30C, the hottest being 38.3C which actually burnt a lot of things which surprised me. The highest minimum was 18.6C. We had a ton of easterly winds and clouds especially in December. Summer has been a mild wet and humid affair down here. This year wind generators would have generated more than solar panels I reckon. La Nina did have an effect on the climate in the west which is surprising as it's normally a northern monsoon, eastern states thing.

Let's see what March and Autumn brings. I dont want to use the dreaded W word yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Autumn warmth on the way for southern WA

A low pressure trough will filter a hot airmass over southwestern parts of Western Australia in the coming week, bringing a burst of Autumnal warmth.

Autumn has gotten off to a mild start in parts of southwest Western Australia with daytime temperatures sitting at around two degrees below average in places such as Perth and Bunbury. During the next week, maximum temperatures are expected to reach between seven and ten degrees above the March average, nudging daytime temperatures closer to the March norm.

The cause is a low pressure trough that will extend into southwest Western Australia, drawing a hot airmass from the interior with it. Perth is likely to experience a run of at least six consecutive days where the mercury exceeds 30 degrees. The hottest pair of days will be Friday and Saturday with a top temperature of 36 forecasted, nearly eight degrees above the March average. Further south, Bunbury is expected to reach 35 degrees on Saturday, which is close to nine degrees above average. Along the southern coast, Albany could have its hottest March day since 2016 with a current forecast of 33 degrees, 10 above average.

Cooling will only be gradual and start from Sunday, though it could take a few days for days to return to closer to average.
( Source: Weatherzone )

Edited by greysrigging
addition to post.
  • Upvote 1

Going for 33C today. Much better than the 20C on Saturday. Also no clouds!!! Just beautiful blue skies. Boy I’ve missed them. We’ve been in the clouds for so long.

It's very soggy here. Bellbrook on the NSW North Coast had 124mm in 1 hour!

• Upvote 1

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Flooding in nsw. 

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/hundreds-rescued-from-floodwaters-in-nsw-as-sydney-braces-for-significant-flooding

I hope Palmnut in Port Macquarie is ok. He’s on the estuary there. 

Just heard Gladys on a press conference, doesn't sound good for NSW, hope everyone stays safe.

2 hours ago, sandgroper said:

Just heard Gladys on a press conference, doesn't sound good for NSW, hope everyone stays safe.

NSW is looking at heavy rain until Friday. That’s nearly a week to go and houses are already floating down stream. 

Record droughts are generally followed by record floods in Australia.

Sometimes I’m really glad to live in good old inert WA. But I love the eastern states though.

If anyone hears from Palmnut in Port Macquarie I’d like to know how he’s going. His house is on the last hairpin bend in the estuary before the river flows out the heads into the sea.

• 2 weeks later...
All 4 of the southern Capitals forecast above 30c....whats so unusual about that one might ask ? Well for a start Perth and the eastern states Capitals generally are under different weather patterns and not often coincide temp wise.
And secondly, its friggen April !
Hb07KoN.jpg
  • Upvote 1

It got to 26C today after thunderstorms and showers last night. Very humid too. At 9pm it’s over 20C with no wind and 85%rh. Really balmy weather. I’m sitting out on the verandah with a nice red. Looking at a foggy yet warm night. April is turning out warmer than feb so far.

Got two tropical disturbances rotating around each other between NW Oz and Indonesia. One is TC Seroja and the other may form into a TC at any time. Predicted to cross the coast between Carnarvon and Mandurah which really doesn’t narrow it down as that’s about 1000kms of coastline. 

My area just had a dumping of 20mm of rain enough to make the creeks all turn muddy. Forecast wild wet weather on Sunday night as the tropics are warped south by the cyclone activity up north.