IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona chinensis Questions

JLM

3 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

You just need to be patient and it will produce fronds that can stay green with the amount of sunlight you got. I think it looks pretty good regardless. 

Thank you! Patience is my middle name.

• Like 3

My smaller ones all yellowed like that with two frosts at 28F and 30F.  The older ones with 2-3' of trunk did not show any yellowing.  I suspect they just get a bit hardier with age.  I just gave mine an extra bit of fertilizer and they are growing pretty quick now.

5 hours ago, Merlyn said:

My smaller ones all yellowed like that with two frosts at 28F and 30F.  The older ones with 2-3' of trunk did not show any yellowing.  I suspect they just get a bit hardier with age.  I just gave mine an extra bit of fertilizer and they are growing pretty quick now.

Thank you, that's good to know. I wasn't here at the time, but I'm pretty sure the low was the same as yours, 28F. We're coming into the warm and rainy season so I think it's probably a good time for it to recover.

• Like 1

Oh, yeah, Livistonas are lovely. They're also spiny and they can get big, but, the best part is some of them are almost Tundra Tempered Cold Hardy, like down to the teens.

DON'T restrict yourselves to L. chinensis. Do indeed use them to get others interested in palms. Big Boxes sell them, sometimes in multiple multiples, as house plants.

But also consider other species, including L. australis, decora/decipiens, and others.

They give you that nice, soaring halo-like crown that tells you at a glace this ain't no Washie.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's mine this year versus a year ago.  Planted it in the ground sometime in 2019 from a 3 gallon grown from seed years ago (it just languished in a pot forever).  Currently gets full Florida sun up until about 2 pm.

PXL_20210611_111343590.jpg

IMG_20200511_195507.jpg

• Like 3

these are one of the slower palms in my florida yard.  Mine sees part sun and is a 4 trunk multi that went from a 3 gallon sie to 15' overall in 10+ years.  My L. saribus is a bit slower, maybe 3/4 speed but its in more limited sunlight.   L. Decora and L. Mariae have been about 2x as fast as chinensis.  The nice think about chinensis here is the thin smooth trunks they exhibit as adults.  I see no nutrient issues with this palm, others show it first.  All my livistonas now are starting to self shed, washies never do this here:(.  These are definitely a better adapted palms for my part of florida than a washie.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 5 months later...
50 minutes ago, Manalto said:

Update from June - nice, deep-green fronds.

20211124_095128.thumb.jpg.1be37603e26cd75e19dabbf43c0abb4e.jpg

That's looking really good James, mine took nearly 2 years to acclimate to the spot I planted it in but man oh man is it a looker now. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

...mine took nearly 2 years to acclimate to the spot I planted it in but man oh man is it a looker now. 

Have the leaf tips started to droop on yours?

Mine is positioned to block the view out my kitchen window of two eyesores: my neighbors' air conditioning unit and the damaged live oak whose branch went through my roof last year.

3 hours ago, Manalto said:

Have the leaf tips started to droop on yours?

Mine is positioned to block the view out my kitchen window of two eyesores: my neighbors' air conditioning unit and the damaged live oak whose branch went through my roof last year.

Annnd how :D

Well it will be a much better sight than those two things. Sorry to hear about your roof...

20211124_171216.jpg

20211124_171230.jpg

• Like 2

My seedling died earlier this year. It was the only one that survived out of the 2 that germinated. The other 4 seeds molded and never did anything.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

7 hours ago, JLM said:

My seedling died earlier this year. It was the only one that survived out of the 2 that germinated. The other 4 seeds molded and never did anything.

What a shame. I know that feeling well, another season of growth lost. I hope it works out better for you on your next attempt.

• Like 1

My Livistona chinensis did a funny thing.  I have multiple clusters of them around the perimeter of a large ficus tree.  Most are about 12 to 15' tall.  Last year I did a major pruning of the ficus tree, and one of the Livistona chinensis that was about 20' tall quickly shot up to over 35' tall once it got more sunlight with the ficus canopy partially removed.  The other Livistona chinensis nearby did not have this sudden growth spurt.  The one on the upper right is the one that shot up.

IMG_20211128_170313.jpg.69fca8fa5fc4832bf5d2276ed234e990.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1