IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sprouting Chamadorea radicalis - share your tales

DoomsDave

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Mine still haven't done anything. :mellow:

Don't give up man.  Mine took like 3 months to do anything.  Just as long as they are not rotting.

Edited by Reyes Vargas

38 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Don't give up man.  Mine took like 3 months to do anything.  Just as long as they are not rotting.

I potted them up in Dec in 2 gal community pots. One pot flew away lol. 

5 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Guess I spoke too soon. 

20210608_140357.jpg

Told you.;)  You probably will get more popping up soon.  Congrats.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Told you.;)  You probably will get more popping up soon.  Congrats.

I guess the secret was to ignore them and threaten to throw them in the dumpster. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I guess the secret was to ignore them and threaten to throw them in the dumpster. 

That rarely works with most palm seeds.  They usually wait until they are in the compost pile or another pot when you choose to reuse the potting medium!

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

The warmer weather is helping, I'm up to 5.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

The secret is heat, which you guys were short on (like YIKE) for a while there.

• Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 6/10/2021 at 12:14 PM, DoomsDave said:

The secret is heat, which you guys were short on (like YIKE) for a while there.

No pics but I've got another tiny sprout. I gave the pot a splash of my Stink Water last night when I realized we've had 110° heat indexes and it shockingly hasn't rained in a week. 

Still drowning in irony that 4 days ago I was ready to chuck them into the dumpster. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm up to 5. And I found my Flying Nun pot up against a fence while I was walking the dog. Need to sift through it and pluck out the seeds and re-dirt them but Jesus it's hot now. 

20210616_160759.jpg

43 minutes ago, amh said:

#7 has emerged.

Pics? 

The Dave batch is in the first 2 containers followed by a bunch of last years Sabal louisiana leftovers, with Josh-O Chamaedorea radicalis on the right and naturegirl Chamaedorea microspadix on the left.

cr.thumb.jpg.99979437ce842736b49cbdaacfb90a55.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, amh said:

naturegirl Chamaedorea microspadix on the left

That's awesome.  I got some seeds as well from her but had no luck.  Nothing came up.

Just now, Reyes Vargas said:

That's awesome.  I got some seeds as well from her but had no luck.  Nothing came up.

I started mine in a baggy and then transferred everything when I noticed germination.

Please forgive my hand looking like a Cabbage Patch Kid, but 

Omg y'all y'all y'all y'all omg. 

This is my community pot of @DoomsDave seeds that flew away in a severe thunderstorm weeks ago. Found it along a fence while I was walking my dog. Haven't sifted it or reorganized anything. 

Between this and my Xmas palm sprout surviving me planting it upside down for a month, I've got some tough ass seedlings on my patio. I'm not gonna get into clichés, but I'd put my sprouts against anyone's in a street fight. 

20210618_225930.jpg

• Like 3

Here's mine from double D. Went in the pot after an overnight soak at the beginning of March. I'm going to have to agree with everyone else,they like the summer heat, they started poking up about a week ago or so. 

IMG_20210619_092800886.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 9:53 PM, dalmatiansoap said:

"Last one aborted for unknown reason?"

Mate, the reason when a bunch of little seeds appear and then amount to nothing is often because the female flowers

have been exposed to male pollen from a related but not closely related male Chamaedorea.

Close enough to stimulate the seed but ultimately incomparable to make viable seed.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 11:19 AM, JohnAndSancho said:

Mine still haven't done anything. :mellow:

6 weeks later 

Message_1627248648154.jpg

Message_1627248679158.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I'm happy for all of you. I ordered mine this past spring and planted them in a community tray with a clear cover after soaking them. They've had plenty of heat outside in my Raleigh NC summer but no movement at all. Not even a single sprout. 

On 7/8/2021 at 3:30 AM, Steve Mac said:

Mate, the reason when a bunch of little seeds appear and then amount to nothing is often because the female flowers

have been exposed to male pollen from a related but not closely related male Chamaedorea.

Close enough to stimulate the seed but ultimately incomparable to make viable seed.

So probably the same. There is a group of C. microspadix next to it. Any chance of viable cross?

IMG_20221006_103257.jpg

• Like 2

Here are mine about 3 1/2 months from sowing:

IMG_0342a.thumb.png.3d51c6d5b18b21d5c8070cf9959011eb.png

I think there are 21 up. I dare say there are still viable seeds in there, but it's got a bit too cold for them now, and I can't put it in the propagator as it is chock-a-block. But 21 is more than plenty. Many thanks to @DoomsDave for these incredibly trouble-free seeds.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2021 at 4:59 PM, Steve Mac said:

There you go @amh .  Male Chamaedorea microspadix X female Chamaedorea radicalis.

I've given them all away now but they grow up as you would expect... looking like a cross between the two.

But as seedlings one characteristic is long petioles/stalks, more obvious from a lower angle.

20210417_101116.jpg

Are these clustering when they mature? What’s the trunk diameter?

3 hours ago, Tjohnson said:

Are these clustering when they mature? What’s the trunk diameter?

Here's a photo of mine for reference. This photo was taken in the brief moment (late evening) when it doesn't get full, blasting sun. Mine have been torture-tested in the hottest part of my yard, and passed (surpassing my costaricana, microspadix and of course the sun-hating tepejilote). They also did great over the winter. I do see small sprouts coming up in the pot and I've gotten viable seed off it. But it's not a "clumper" per se (like lutescens). I love mine and wouldn't mind having a forest of them 🌱

radicalis.thumb.jpg.4c4e59a5a1412049b19f3e19fece945c.jpg

• Like 7

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

This Chamaedorea radicalis has an interesting tale: 

2018:  Received seeds from @DoomsDave and germinated.

2019:  Planted in the ground in San Antonio.

2020:  Flowered for the first time.

2021:  Completely defoliated and regrew following Palmageddon event in February.  10 of 11 seedlings survived 9°.

2022:  Flowered for the second time.  Dug out and moved to Rio Hondo.  Only seedling that buyers of my house saved for me.  Currently flowering for the third time.

IMG_20221022_124834.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 2

Jon Sunder

On 6/18/2021 at 9:07 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

Please forgive my hand looking like a Cabbage Patch Kid, but 

Omg y'all y'all y'all y'all omg. 

This is my community pot of @DoomsDave seeds that flew away in a severe thunderstorm weeks ago. Found it along a fence while I was walking my dog. Haven't sifted it or reorganized anything. 

Between this and my Xmas palm sprout surviving me planting it upside down for a month, I've got some tough ass seedlings on my patio. I'm not gonna get into clichés, but I'd put my sprouts against anyone's in a street fight. 

20210618_225930.jpg

They ever grow?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

16 hours ago, iDesign said:

Here's a photo of mine for reference. This photo was taken in the brief moment (late evening) when it doesn't get full, blasting sun. Mine have been torture-tested in the hottest part of my yard, and passed (surpassing my costaricana, microspadix and of course the sun-hating tepejilote). They also did great over the winter. I do see small sprouts coming up in the pot and I've gotten viable seed off it. But it's not a "clumper" per se (like lutescens). I love mine and wouldn't mind having a forest of them 🌱

radicalis.thumb.jpg.4c4e59a5a1412049b19f3e19fece945c.jpg

If you're patient, you'll get your forest from seeds.

If you're in a hurry, come up and visit and get some from me!

• Like 2

On 10/11/2022 at 10:32 PM, dalmatiansoap said:

So probably the same. There is a group of C. microspadix next to it. Any chance of viable cross?

IMG_20221006_103257.jpg

You may have already found out . . . please advise of updates!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

They ever grow?

Welp one pot flew away in a wind storm last year. I've got 2 or 3 survivors going that look like the other post you reacted to today. Are they supposed to be slow or do I suck as a plant dad? 

They're still in the community pot with a handful of dirt, and honestly between work and depression I haven't repotted and they've been neglected. So they're def tough. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/5/2020 at 2:12 PM, Chester B said:

Going back and lookin at the posts I received the seeds from @DoomsDave September 21, 2018.  So they just had their 2 year birthday.

Here's a video of your babies, including the unknown.  

How about an update?

On 10/22/2022 at 1:16 PM, Fusca said:

2018:  Received seeds from @DoomsDave and germinated.

@Fusca, you gave me three Chamaedorea radicalis seedlings in 2019 I believe.  They might be from the same batch.  I planted two outside last spring, and I still keep one in a pot.  The potted up one looks the best.  Its on its second pinnate frond, and a deep dark green color.  My other two potted Chamaedorea elegans are kept in the same room and have that same deep dark green color.  I love it.  I keep them in my office, and give them a little water once week.  My office is North East facing, and they only receive ambient natural light (morning sun), with little (if any) direct sun light.

Potted Chamaedorea radicalis #1:

image.thumb.jpeg.9a92555cf24522d5ebb85e531dc3d644.jpeg

Potted Chamaedorea elegans:

image.thumb.jpeg.a048e8e5e23eac6a87e6f0179d2adb97.jpeg

One of the two planted outside is on its fist pinnate frond; the other still has strap leaves.  The outside planted Chamaedorea radicalis are under story palms, but get more light than the potted indoor one. I believe that is why they have have a lighter green color.  I noticed similar results with my potted Chamaedorea elegans, where the ones near South West facing windows that get some direct sunlight are a lighter shade of green.

Planted Chamaedorea radicalis #2:

image.thumb.jpeg.662793d9ab502eaca1471ad7f93e425c.jpeg

Planted Chamaedorea radicalis #3 (on the right, pictured with its friend, a miniature "bonsai-looking" Serenoa repens, on the left):

image.thumb.jpeg.ad17270b07ed0dec25bc4a24cd7d769e.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

30 minutes ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

@Fusca, you gave me three Chamaedorea radicalis seedlings in 2019 I believe.  They might be from the same batch.

Rich, your Chamaedorea look great!  I believe you're right - those are from the same seed batch that I got from @DoomsDave.  His palmy love has spread far and wide!  I also gave a few radicalis seedlings to the owner of Palm Buddha there in SA.  He had never heard of it before and I encouraged him to grow and sell them.  They handle our high heat, drought, alkaline soil and the occasional mega-freeze without missing a beat as long as they are kept out of full afternoon sun.  They even set seeds while young.  🤣

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

Hope I didnt miss the answer already in this thread, but do you need to (or does it help expedite sprouting) remove the red skin from the seeds before germinating? I found that it was easy to peel the red "skin" off the fresh seeds but now that theyve dried two weeks its very difficult. Do i need bare seeds or ok to leave on? It not like jubae where seed is in a fruit or husk, just that very thin skin... thanks for any advice about to germinate maybe 100 of Patrick Schafers Chameadorea Radicalis.

2 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Hope I didnt miss the answer already in this thread, but do you need to (or does it help expedite sprouting) remove the red skin from the seeds before germinating? I found that it was easy to peel the red "skin" off the fresh seeds but now that theyve dried two weeks its very difficult. Do i need bare seeds or ok to leave on? It not like jubae where seed is in a fruit or husk, just that very thin skin... thanks for any advice about to germinate maybe 100 of Patrick Schafers Chameadorea Radicalis.

In most cases removing the fruit from palm seeds helps with germination as the fruit may contain chemicals that inhibit germination.  Probably not the case with these and the seeds can probably be planted as is.  The fruit flesh on Chamaedorea radicalis seeds is minimal and as you said easy to peel off fresh seeds.  With dry fruits you can soak them for a few hours to soften up the fruit so that it can be easier to remove.   Seeds with the fruit on will probably float but will sink after the fruit is removed.  Once you've cleaned the fruit off it is also helpful to soak the seeds overnight.   I clean and soak all palm seeds whether they need to be cleaned or not - it does not hurt anything and can only help.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

19 hours ago, Fusca said:

In most cases removing the fruit from palm seeds helps with germination as the fruit may contain chemicals that inhibit germination.  Probably not the case with these and the seeds can probably be planted as is.  The fruit flesh on Chamaedorea radicalis seeds is minimal and as you said easy to peel off fresh seeds.  With dry fruits you can soak them for a few hours to soften up the fruit so that it can be easier to remove.   Seeds with the fruit on will probably float but will sink after the fruit is removed.  Once you've cleaned the fruit off it is also helpful to soak the seeds overnight.   I clean and soak all palm seeds whether they need to be cleaned or not - it does not hurt anything and can only help.

Good enough for me, thank you!

• Upvote 1