IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Growing young canary island date, best time to repot

Coasta

I have been growing to canary island date palms for the last two years. 

One of them i repotted back in May and the center sphere came out. It may have been due to watering the crown.  

Here are photos of that one l and unfortunately it didn't survive. 

My question is I don't want to screw it up for the second CIDP I am growing as I am growing it for my cousin. 

When is the best time to repot it, I would hate to slow down the growth of the trunk if this pot is too small. P.s i am in Mesa az

20200720_162500.jpg

20200720_162453.jpg

20200917_103544.jpg

20200917_103552.jpg

42 minutes ago, Coasta said:

When is the best time to repot it

Phoenix palm roots tend to be pretty aggressive as juveniles but I wouldn't repot until I see roots coming out the drainage holes at the bottom of the pot.  If I'm understanding correctly the first 2 pics are of the palm that died and the last two with the blue container is the palm in question?  If so that blue container looks plenty large enough for a while yet.  The only thing that concerns me with that blue container is that it looks like ones that I have seen with a "built-in" saucer at the bottom that you can remove.  If that's the case I'd take that saucer off because it wouldn't like sitting in water and it's outside.

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

Repot only when truly massive pot bound (fast achived), they love that and will still grow if watered on a regular schedule according to its needs, and fertilized too...Oh, do not water the crown and do not overpot unless using an extra draining potting soil. They are quite suitable for your climate and will thrive, but you know that when potted it all gets much more tricky...!

• Like 1

Greetings, Luís

I happened upon some seeds. I do really like the well-manicured big ones.... These little seedlings grew fast and easy and probably grow fast. They are under a vilet light. Interesting shape of the first spike. Tri-tipped, like little spurs...

20200918_092204.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Frond-friend42 said:

So you pruned the roots?

I use the same method to control both the growth of some palms and its roots as well as to maintain the size of the pot, which leads to the commitment to keep the roots healthy as it avoids waterlogging, fungi and rot. It is obvious that only a few species of palm trees support such a cut at the roots. Oh, and I learned that, and about maintaining healthy roots, by reading some of @Pal Meir's posts. Thanks Pal!

Greetings, Luís

On 9/17/2020 at 11:49 AM, Fusca said:

Phoenix palm roots tend to be pretty aggressive as juveniles but I wouldn't repot until I see roots coming out the drainage holes at the bottom of the pot.  If I'm understanding correctly the first 2 pics are of the palm that died and the last two with the blue container is the palm in question?  If so that blue container looks plenty large enough for a while yet.  The only thing that concerns me with that blue container is that it looks like ones that I have seen with a "built-in" saucer at the bottom that you can remove.  If that's the case I'd take that saucer off because it wouldn't like sitting in water and it's outside.

Hi Fusca!! That is correct.  The one in the blue container is the one that is still alive. 

It has had roots coming through the bottom of the holes for about a year now. I wonder if its time. I definitely don't want to stunt the growth but dont want to over pot it. I will also take your advice and remove the saucer. :) thank you!

On 9/17/2020 at 1:53 PM, lzorrito said:

Repot only when truly massive pot bound (fast achived), they love that and will still grow if watered on a regular schedule according to its needs, and fertilized too...Oh, do not water the crown and do not overpot unless using an extra draining potting soil. They are quite suitable for your climate and will thrive, but you know that when potted it all gets much more tricky...!

Thanks lzorrito!! I made the mistake of watering the crown on the last one.  As long as it doesn't prevent the trunk from getting bigger, I will leave it in that pot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

I happened upon some seeds. I do really like the well-manicured big ones.... These little seedlings grew fast and easy and probably grow fast. They are under a vilet light. Interesting shape of the first spike. Tri-tipped, like little spurs...

20200918_092204.jpg

Amazing!!! Congrats on germination!! Yes they look great when they are properly trimmed. 

On 9/18/2020 at 1:21 PM, Frond-friend42 said:

20200918_092204.jpg

THESE ARE NOT CIDP SEEDS. BEWARE!! The real seedlings look like monocot palm single spikes. Go figure.

• Like 1

is it normal that palms break the pot due to aggresive roots? I had one really nice one shatter to pieces out of nowhere due to the aggresive roots of a Strelitzia reginae. I heard it would flower when rootbound but nope it just broke the hole damn pot.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

is it normal that palms break the pot due to aggresive roots? I had one really nice one shatter to pieces out of nowhere due to the aggresive roots of a Strelitzia reginae. I heard it would flower when rootbound but nope it just broke the hole damn pot.  

Yeah, totally normal. Every now and then there's this shattering noise coming from the nursery and I just shrug my shoulders, "there goes another one. roots growing."  Seriously but that is epic. What were you feeding that thing?Thats a bird of prey not a bird of paradise.  Nice one. Send me some of whatever fertilizer you got going.:36_14_15[1]:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Yeah, totally normal. Every now and then there's this shattering noise coming from the nursery and I just shrug my shoulders, "there goes another one. roots growing."  Seriously but that is epic. What were you feeding that thing?Thats a bird of prey not a bird of paradise.  Nice one. Send me some of whatever fertilizer you got going.:36_14_15[1]:

haha i just planted in some soil bought at the local nursery very high in organic matter and gave it one dose of slow realase 17-17-17 all purpose granular fertilizer.

After it broke i planted the bastard in open soil, no more pot breaking for that bird. 

IMG_20200819_185904049.jpg

• Like 2