IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Are these sabal minor? Idaho palm sighting

ColdBonsai

I've known about these plants in an empty field near a garden center in Boise for awhile now. Nothing mind blowing but still cool to see.. Looks like a few of them produced seed this year too. Bonus pics of some cannas that look to have naturalized and taken over the same area. Plants have been here at least 5 years or so, probably longer.

20200912_143920.jpg

20200912_143744.jpg

20200912_143852.jpg

20200912_143756.jpg

Edited by ColdBonsai
  • Like 9

Yes...these palms seem very resilient...we planted Some in Bethany, DE and they have done great...the town tried planting some in their grassy medians but I don’t see them any more. Idaho seems so far north but you appear to be 7a which is my zone in No. VA...Meet to see them growing in the wild.

2 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Yes...these palms seem very resilient...we planted Some in Bethany, DE and they have done great...the town tried planting some in their grassy medians but I don’t see them any more. Idaho seems so far north but you appear to be 7a which is my zone in No. VA...Meet to see them growing in the wild.

Idaho climate is all about location lol. Boise is west of the Rockies and somewhat low in elevation. The Rockies do a fantastic job pushing a lot of the polar vortexes and cold air to the east, not all of them, but a good percentage.

Last winter we avoided most every temperature inversion/polar vortex and only got down to 19 degrees at my house (16 at the airport).

Lewiston Idaho is even better situated then us and is 5 hours further north. They have pockets of 7b and almost but not quite 8a I believe. They're also a lot lower in elevation.

Sorry, I get excited about Idaho climate zones, lol.

Edited by ColdBonsai
  • Like 3

That would explain it...thank you...our Blue Ridge mountains to the west ring out a lot of moisture before the snow can make it here...unfortunately, those polar vortexes get funneled in and can settle in for long periods of time...2014 was an example of that with nights in the teens and days below freezing for extended periods of time...it was a real test for my palms but the ones still here today prove cold hardy is real...Last winter was a walk in the park, though. My touchy Brazoria proves it. Thanks again for clarifying the Idaho “anomaly”.

• Like 1