IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Record Cold

Daryl

What a winter it has been so far. We have had some of the coldest weather in recorded history. We are experiencing yet another cold snap here, with more to come. The strange thing is that our local airport has recorded both the warmest July day ever and the coldest minimum as well. This is a location about 1 kilometre from the ocean.

Lucky for me so far my temps have not been as cold as the airport.

Here are some stats for the month up to yesterday. Last night the airport minimum temp was 0.0C!!!

regards,

Daryl.

post-42-1184709484_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Seems to be very similar to the temps in Melbourne itself.

In our garden the drought is over.  Nearly75 mm of rain in July so far.  Thats 1" per week.  I expect palms in my garden to suffer lots of casualties due to cold and wet.  Lets see.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

That's cold Daryl. As it's record breaking, it's unlikely you'll see another year quite as bad for a while now.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Looks like you guys are getting the same "global warming" we got this past winter.............  :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Yesterday it was 10C at 7 in the morning, but at midday the temperature dropped to 9C, and in Ballarat, 1 hour out of Melbourne it was 2.8C.  Days have been very cold, but the lowest night time temperature for the winter is 3C.  One positive is that we are getting quite a bit of rain in the catchments.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Hi Guys

0c 1km from the ocean......thats amazing. What temp has your garden gotten down to Daryl? Coldest for me was last week at 4.5c.

Things are getting warmer for the next week: check out the forecast:

Forecast: Wednesday, 18 July 2007

Min:    12°C  

Max:   24°C

Discomfort Index:   28°C

Weather: Partly cloudy becoming fine.

Wind:   light NW but moderate NE in the afternoon.

UVB:    Moderate

Sunrise:   06:49

Sunset:    17:15

Moonphase: Waxing

Moonrise:   09:21

Moonset: 21:14

Reported Weather

Wednesday, 18 July 2007 07:30 SAST

Temperature 15.0 °C

Dew Point: 12.0 °C

Humidity: 82 %

Cloud cover: Partly Cloudy

Visibility: Greater than 10 km

Pressure (QNH): 1024 hPa

Forecast: Thursday, 19 July 2007  

Min:   12°C Max:   24°C  

Weather:   Fine.

Wind:    light NW but moderate SE in the afternoon.

Sunrise:      06:49 Sunset:   17:15  

Moonrise:     09:48 Moonset:   22:08  

Moonphase:   Waxing    

Forecast: Friday, 20 July 2007  

Min:   12°C Max:   25°C  

Wind:    gentle NW but fresh NE in the afternoon.

Sunrise:      06:48 Sunset:   17:16  

Moonrise:     10:13 Moonset:   23:02  

Moonphase:   First Quarter    

Forecast: Saturday, 21 July 2007  

Min:   11°C Max:   20°C  

Weather:   Partly cloudy becoming cloudy. p.m. and evening showers (60%)

Wind:    strong SW but fresh SE in the afternoon.

Sunrise:      06:48 Sunset:   17:17  

Moonrise:     10:40 Moonset:   23:56  

Forecast: Sunday, 22 July 2007  

Min:   13°C Max:   25°C  

Weather:   Fine to partly cloudy.

Wind:    fresh NE

Sunrise:      06:47 Sunset:   17:17  

Moonrise:     11:08 Moonset:   xxxx  

Forecast: Monday, 23 July 2007  

Min:   14°C Max:   27°C  

Wind:    moderate NE

Sunrise:      06:47 Sunset:   17:18  

Moonrise:     11:40 Moonset:   00:51  

Forecast: Tuesday, 24 July 2007  

Min:   14°C Max:   29°C  

Wind:    fresh NE

Sunrise:      06:46 Sunset:   17:18  

Moonrise:     12:15 Moonset:   01:48  

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Dennis, my place has been down to 5C for what seems like all winter. This morning was the coldest I have ever recorded in 10 years at 3C...A little bit of ice formed on the roof of my car!

Tonight is forecast to be a repeat of the same conditions...oh how lovely!

This will be a good test of a lot of species here!

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

G'Day Daryl

There was a frost here this morning 2 deg c & my bottle palms had ice thick enough to scrape of them at 6am before I went to work  :(  :(  I will see the burns by tomorrow. My Dypsis pembana also had a white top coat as well fingers crossed that it survives.

The forcast is for 0 deg C in Lismore & 1 deg C in Grafton so there is a good chance for another touch up in the morning.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

We got to 24C today and the flying ants were swarming. This shouldn't happen until September or August at the earliest.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

WoW  :o

Sorry to read of frost occurrences but glad that warmer air is moving in.

Painful reminder to Californians of last Jan's freeze  :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

just checked the yard thermometer, 1 degrees.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, Did you get any frost?? How's your palms?  It got down to 2C here, my new garden record min...hopefully that will stand as the record for a long time! Hopefully it will be a little warmer tonight. I'm hanging out for some cloud cover...I've even forgotten what clouds look like! Not a little puff of cloud in over 3 weeks.

Maybe we have to move to Perth???

Daryl

(Ntheastpalms @ Jul. 18 2007,19:43)

G'Day Daryl

There was a frost here this morning 2 deg c & my bottle palms had ice thick enough to scrape of them at 6am before I went to work  :(  :(  I will see the burns by tomorrow. My Dypsis pembana also had a white top coat as well fingers crossed that it survives.

The forcast is for 0 deg C in Lismore & 1 deg C in Grafton so there is a good chance for another touch up in the morning.

What's the damage Matt? I hope last night was warmer for you.

Daryl

Now I know how you guys felt when reading of So Cals tough frosty January..........  helpless :(

Hope everything comes thru OK.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

BRISBANE Airport's weather station recorded its lowest ever reading today with a low of minus 0.1 - one degree colder than the previous record.

The reading taken at 6.39am reflected lower than normal temperatures across the region.

The official Brisbane minimum was 3.8 degrees at 6.53am, but at the airport the mercury dropped to -0.1.

At Archerfield, in Brisbane's west, the temperature hit 1.7 degrees but temperaturtes plunged dramatically further west.

At Amberley, the mercury hit minus 4.8 at 6.42am and at Applethorpe on the Granite Belt it was an icy minus 7.7.

The Brisbane Airport reading was taken at the new weather station there which has been in operation since 2000.

Burt the minus .1 minimum didn't last long - it held for just three minutes.

The previous low of 0.9 degrees was taken at the old airport weather station which was in operation from 1929 until 2000.

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Bruce- Is the cold weather watching your itenerary?  ???

(Daryl @ Jul. 18 2007,19:03)

Maybe we have to move to Perth???

I'm flying over on the red eye next Friday. I'll pack a suitcase of warm min's for you.

Seriously though, it's not good. We had our record cold last winter. I never want to see that again. My coldest garden temp was 1.5C then. Coldest this winter is 5.5C so far. However with last years events the air was so dry nothing spotted up. I'd say the same would apply to SE QLD with this cold weather.

This morning I woke up to 19C around 6am, then it rose to 20C and by 8am the temp dropped to 13C and was raining.

Hurry up spring.

regards

Tyrone

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jul. 19 2007,00:03)

Bruce- Is the cold weather watching your itenerary?  ???

Sure hope not!!!!!!!!

I talked to our caretaker on the Childers property today and he said it was bloody cold enough to freeze your b..s off.  

We had a light frost on the lower portion and the tomatos were looking a little off.  

My Mum called from Orange and they were expecting -5 to 2 today with some snow overnight.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Just took a short walk through my 'garden' and a lot of tender stuff is fried. The leaf surface temps must have been very cold, even though there was no visible frost. Quite a few palms are severely burned such as my Pigafetta, Clinostigmas, Veitchias, Dypsis lanceolata, Roystonea and surprisingly even my Normanbyas have a few spots.  These were all of my 'emergent' palms in the more open part of the garden. Those near the taller trees were not visibly damaged (yet). The coconuts have that translucent spotting that will fry up in a few days...not happy!

Daryl

Wal, Daryl, I hope it warms up for you soon. Cheers, Jan

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

Another cold morning tomorrow, I have a lot of spotting etc., and no rain forecast either, although the temps are supposed to rise from this weekend. Unhappy here am I, hence no photos, I'm not into posting sad palms.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Forecast for Friday

Fine. Cold again at first with local early morning frost. Light to moderate SW

winds, freshening during the day.                        

Precis:       Fine.                              

City:         Min  4    Max 19

Bayside:      Min  1    Max 19 (that's me)

I'm just so glad I had my palm planting beginnings 5 or 6 years ago and not last year. It would have been dire. So, on the positive side, most of my canopy palms are established somewhat and finding juice some where underground. It is a test to see what copes as Daryl pointed out, and if I lose some here and there, then, that's a reason to recommence in Spring with all the hope of balanced seasons ahead.

Prayer:

I'll say it once and I'll say it again

Give us heat and give us rain,

Sorry Lord to be a pain,

But I'm gonna say it

again and again

give us heat and give us rain

You gave us palms, are you insane ?

give us heat Lord and give us rain

amen.

I think he'll like that.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Daryl

Another frost again this morning but thankfully there was'nt any on the palm leaves.

The bottles are very sad but the pembana appears to be untouched just a little brown around the edges of the bottom most leaflets time will tell if the growing point has been damaged.

The Dypsis leptocheilos were'nt affected but my Licuala grandis is history after three years in the garden & this was in the warmest part of the garden with a well established canopy & it was still 2 deg C this morning!! :o  :o. On the upside I am really pleased with the hardiness of my New Caledonian species, the Burretiokentia's, Chambeyronia's, Kentiopsis & Cyphophoenix are still pushing out new leaves.    

Winter is really the pits, I think I neeed to move to Darwin.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

(Daryl @ Jul. 19 2007,02:48)

Just took a short walk through my 'garden' and a lot of tender stuff is fried. The leaf surface temps must have been very cold, even though there was no visible frost. Quite a few palms are severely burned such as my Pigafetta, Clinostigmas, Veitchias, Dypsis lanceolata, Roystonea and surprisingly even my Normanbyas have a few spots.  These were all of my 'emergent' palms in the more open part of the garden. Those near the taller trees were not visibly damaged (yet). The coconuts have that translucent spotting that will fry up in a few days...not happy!

Daryl

I'm sorry to hear that Daryl. That's really sad.  :(

(Wal @ Jul. 19 2007,04:32)

Forecast for Friday

Fine. Cold again at first with local early morning frost. Light to moderate SW

winds, freshening during the day.                        

Precis:       Fine.                              

City:         Min  4    Max 19

Bayside:      Min  1    Max 19 (that's me)

I'm just so glad I had my palm planting beginnings 5 or 6 years ago and not last year. It would have been dire. So, on the positive side, most of my canopy palms are established somewhat and finding juice some where underground. It is a test to see what copes as Daryl pointed out, and if I lose some here and there, then, that's a reason to recommence in Spring with all the hope of balanced seasons ahead.

Prayer:

Sorry Lord to be a pain,

But I'm gonna say it

again and again

amen.

I think he'll like that.

I'm glad you're still being positive Wal. I'm thinking of you guys over there. I'm wondering if there is anything good to see in QLD when I come over next week. Will the lipsticks still be alive in Townsville, or even Cairns?Mt Cootha has no irrigation and mass deaths, and now record freezing temps. I think we should all move to Darwin, and we won't have these probs anymore.

best regards

Tyrone

I'm a bit concerned here. I just got home from work at 11:00 and it was only 4C outside..maybe a new record set in the morning!

Matt, yes I am pleased with how the New Caledonian palms are performing in this frigid weather. I guess it is because they get similar conditions in their native habitat.

Tyrone, I was looking at Darwin properties on realestate.com.au today...lots of potentials!

Daryl

How did it go last night Daryl?

More of the same unfortunately...2C min and a thick coating of frost on the roof of the car!

It is a balmy 7C at 8:30...$&*^##@!!!

I guess the damage will continue to make itself known over the next couple of days.

Daryl

Traditionally the end of July and the first two weeks in August are the coldest part of our winter. The worst case scenario I have encountered here on the Sunshine coast was in the 80's in spring when all the new growth was starting to push out. We had a couple of black frosts in September. Most plants did not recover until well into the summer. That year we recorded a minimum of -3.5 C , so far this winter we have been down to -1C. My first thought then was to irrigate the stock but no water came out of the sprinklers as the lines were frozen solid.

(eastern.nurseries @ Jul. 19 2007,18:30)

Traditionally the end of July and the first two weeks in August are the coldest part of our winter. The worst case scenario I have encountered here on the Sunshine coast was in the 80's in spring when all the new growth was starting to push out. We had a couple of black frosts in September. Most plants did not recover until well into the summer. That year we recorded a minimum of -3.5 C , so far this winter we have been down to -1C. My first thought then was to irrigate the stock but no water came out of the sprinklers as the lines were frozen solid.

:( :( :(

(eastern.nurseries @ Jul. 19 2007,21:30)

I never knew it could get that cold up your way.

regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, these cold winters are not a regular feature of our climate but they do occur. I recall similar cold winters in the early 70's before record foods in Brisbane then again in the mid 80's with wet summers following. So hopefully after this foul winter we will see some serious Queensland wet season.

Sorry Lord to be a pain,

But I'm gonna say it

again and again

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(eastern.nurseries @ Jul. 20 2007,04:20)

Tyrone, these cold winters are not a regular feature of our climate but they do occur. I recall similar cold winters in the early 70's before record foods in Brisbane then again in the mid 80's with wet summers following. So hopefully after this foul winter we will see some serious Queensland wet season.

That is interesting. I was looking at the BOM regarding rainfall patterns across Oz in La Nina yrs. The winters are wet from the mid north NSW coast down, but dry in SE QLD, but by Spring the entire east coast is wet.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enso/ninacomp.shtml

I'm not a betting guy, but if I was I would bet all my palms that QLD and the east coast will get a summer drenching this year. All the palms will be happy again. :)

regards

Tyrone

it sounds like weather at 28 degrees NORTH latitude down there.  I hope all turns out well.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I would be very happy if the south east corner got all of the rain from up here this summer .. maybe not all of it , but most .

Who needs 56" in 1 month ??

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

This is the worst cold I have seen here in 25 years. Driving around, there are totally brown Archontophoenix alexandrae, from head to toe black-brown. Not just palms, but many trees have cold damage. The damage is starting to really show in my garden now..anything not under canopy has been fried. My 30ft tall carpentarias have totally brown crowns.

I might try and take some photos over the weekend...something to remember and tell my grandkids how cold it once got...(positive thinking?)

Daryl

(Ray, Tampa @ Jul. 20 2007,07:07)

it sounds like weather at 28 degrees NORTH latitude down there.  I hope all turns out well.

Ray

Ray

Did you record minimums below freezing/observe frost last winter?  Thought Central Florida escaped  ???

Daryl

Really sorry about the damaged  :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(Daryl @ Jul. 17 2007,17:58)

What a winter it has been so far. We have had some of the coldest weather in recorded history. We are experiencing yet another cold snap here, with more to come. The strange thing is that our local airport has recorded both the warmest July day ever and the coldest minimum as well. This is a location about 1 kilometre from the ocean.

Lucky for me so far my temps have not been as cold as the airport.

Here are some stats for the month up to yesterday. Last night the airport minimum temp was 0.0C!!!

regards,

Daryl.

The chaotic nature of weather never ceases to amaze me.  Surely it follows no known statistical distribution, and is nearly impossible to track or identify small warming or cooling trends of a degree or two over the globe when year to year variations are way greater in magnitude.  Hence, we can believe that global warming and global cooling are happening at the same time, neither being valid.  To think that so many intelligent physicists look so silly trying to predict even short term weather trends(year to year) makes it even more incredible to believe they can predict long term ones.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

(Daryl @ Jul. 20 2007,09:58)

This is the worst cold I have seen here in 25 years. Driving around, there are totally brown Archontophoenix alexandrae, from head to toe black-brown. Not just palms, but many trees have cold damage. The damage is starting to really show in my garden now..anything not under canopy has been fried. My 30ft tall carpentarias have totally brown crowns.

I might try and take some photos over the weekend...something to remember and tell my grandkids how cold it once got...(positive thinking?)

Daryl

Thats bad news Daryl,  sad to hear that,  after the dry summer,  to get record cold is very disappointing.

Down here, one or 2 of the  the Pritchardias in the open are starting to spot a bit,  I will have a walk and check the local palms,  but I think our lowest overnight here has been +2C so far.  Same as most winters.  Whats saving us from the bad cold is the cloud cover and foggy mornings.

In August when we get clear nights its the worst and usually we get our worst lows then and in my garden over the last 5 years that low is +2C.

I think if you are getting clear nights and cold air mass then you are going to be in trouble where theres no canopy

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.