IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Queen Palms in San Antonio

ChrisA

1 hour ago, ChrisA said:

Do you all think I should cover it?

@ChrisA, Forecast also calls for icy conditions.  Low 20s, wet, and possible ice....yes, I would cover it; particularly if it is small.  I have a potted one that I will be bringing in.

1 hour ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

2014 they were installed

@DreaminAboutPalms, All of the of the Queens I know of died after the 2021 freeze event.  I dove by these a few weeks ago, and they had been cut down.

On 1/18/2021 at 10:22 AM, GoatLockerGuns said:

Mature Syagrus romanzoffiana at a Taco Cabana on the southside.  Snapped this picture yesterday.  2347 E Southcross Blvd, San Antonio, TX 78223

image.thumb.png.7d4cebfeaaae803a5b2921a239d27822.png

All of the palms in front of this Taco Cabana on Southcross died as well, and the trunks were cut down (the Sagos survived though).

On 1/18/2021 at 12:28 PM, GoatLockerGuns said:

Also, mature Phoenix roebelenii (in previous picture) and Livistona chinensis (pictured below).

image.thumb.png.0d40f31efcc68c9823e276d03031d0ed.png

image.thumb.png.b75c50ebcff6d20f53231c999338945d.png

All but one of the Livistona chinensis there died as well.  The one that survived came back strong though, and was doing well a few weeks ago when I drove by (almost back to the condition pictured above).

On 1/26/2021 at 7:07 PM, GoatLockerGuns said:

Took this shot after my run this evening.  Northwest Bexar County.  Dude has a Queen right up beside his house (right side of front door).  Elevation approximately 1200 feet.  He has some Phoenix sp. with a decent trunk too (left side of front door), although it is hard to see with this drive-by picture.  Been there at least two years (that is when I first noticed it; could have been there longer).  Front of the house is Southwest facing.

image.thumb.jpeg.f36ccefffc166183b0c01d469d7930a3.jpeg

This Queen in NW Bexar County died; however, the Phoenix sp. survived.  No protection that I am aware of on either (Sagos survived as well).

• Like 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

Queens in SA should live from this freeze, but may look ugly for a few months. Above 20 and they should be good to go. The more above 20, the better. They will spot and burn though. Possibly a lot. 

• Like 1

Found a long term queen in Austin that must have been put in prior to 2007 and lasted 14 years 

October 2007

March 2011 (took out second queen)

May 2018 (defoliated)

June 2019 (looking incredible)

February 2020 (looking good as well)

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 2.27.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 2.28.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 2.29.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 2.29.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 2.25.51 PM.png

• Like 3

This guy loves his queens. Had a really nice looking one prior to freeze and has since put in 3 new ones 

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 4.54.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 4.54.41 PM.png

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Even in the heyday of warmth (1991-2010) and 2012-2021) there were very few queens in San Antonio. That or they just seemed overwhelmed by Washingtonia Filifera. I mean only 1 on the Riverwalk, and briefly some outside the Alamo RIP 2010/2011.

Houston was far and above the Texas Queen Capital up until 2018. 

I think it has to do with rainfall, and Houston Garden Centers always bringing in nice size Queens to Houston. Never thought I’d praise that place! I never bought a Queen I recall from there but I did buy a big Royal, longer than my truck from bumper to bumper. 

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

3 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Even in the heyday of warmth (1991-2010) and 2012-2021) there were very few queens in San Antonio. That or they just seemed overwhelmed by Washingtonia Filifera. I mean only 1 on the Riverwalk, and briefly some outside the Alamo RIP 2010/2011.

I think it has to do with rainfall, and Houston Garden Centers always bringing in nice size Queens to Houston. Never thought I’d praise that place! I never bought a Queen I recall from there but I did buy a big Royal!

Seems like 2011 was a dose of reality for people planting them in central Texas, but the ones in SA/NB that survived up until last year looked pretty good. 

15 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

I think it has to do with rainfall, and Houston Garden Centers always bringing in nice size Queens to Houston. Never thought I’d praise that place! I never bought a Queen I recall from there but I did buy a big Royal, longer than my truck from bumper to bumper. 

Somewhat disagree. I used to see them fairly frequently in San Antonio back yards around 2010 and quite big ones too. New Braunfels had a decent number of big ones also. Not a lot but a decent amount. I remember one guy had like 10 big queens all over his yard. All slaughtered. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Besides myself,  I saw some newly planted Queen palms planted in the ground . One of them can be found by the Riverwalk.  I'm aware of this palm tree's cold hardiness and it's just a matter of time when the cold takes it out.  One of my two will be replaced by a mule next spring.  They can look gorgeous but San Antonio isn't really a good place to grow Queens.